Profile for Mr. John W. Ainsworth > Reviews

Content by Mr. John W. Ai...

Mr. John W. Ainsworth (London)

The Unprincipled: The Unvarnished Truth About Running a Marketing Agency - from Start-up to Sell-out
by David Croydon

5.0 out of 5 stars Great insight into running a marketing agency, 11 Jan 2013
I loved this book. Though I must admit, I don't think I'd love the author if I met him. He sounds charming, interesting, and, as the title suggests, quite unprincipled.

I started my own small marketing agency a few years ago, and was fascinated to get this insight into how the author built his agency from 3 people to a multi-million pound business. Funny stories, great anecdotes, and a decent amount of sound business advice sneaked in. A great read, even laugh out loud, and a brilliant insight into running a marketing agency.

Babyliss Pro Precision Designer Trimmer - FX789NB
Babyliss Pro Precision Designer Trimmer - FX789NB

5.0 out of 5 stars Great trimmers, 5 Nov 2012
These trimmers were recommended by my hairdresser, and they're a great buy. I've used them every day for a few months now and they've been great. They've kept their charge well, work at a great speed, never get stuck and look great too.

I'm not a huge fan of being clean shaven, and I used to use some standard hair trimmers for keeping my stubble at a reasonable length. However even at bare clippers they were too long. These ones have a much shorter bare clipper length, so are perfect for keeping stubble neat.

The Fifth Elephant: (Discworld Novel 24) (Discworld Novels)
The Fifth Elephant: (Discworld Novel 24) (Discworld Novels)
by Terry Pratchett

5.0 out of 5 stars Another classic, 5 Nov 2012
I've long been a Terry Pratchett fan, and love the Discworld series. This is another great one and I can thoroughly recommend it.

Microsoft Bluetooth Mobile Keyboard 6000
Microsoft Bluetooth Mobile Keyboard 6000

5.0 out of 5 stars Great keyboard, 4 Jun 2010
I bought this as a replacement for a Logitech Cordless Desktop Wave - with Mouse which was starting to show it's age after a couple of years. This keyboard is not only easier to type on, it's also got a better curve to it, more reliable (or at least so far, after 2 months).

It's just big enough to be a permanent keyboard without causing any wrist strain, has very light keys which allows for quick typing, and doesn't have loads of extra functions that you don't really need.

All round a great little keyboard.

ReWork: Change the Way You Work Forever
ReWork: Change the Way You Work Forever
by David Heinemeier Hansson

5.0 out of 5 stars Great business book, 4 May 2010
I'm a big fan of the 37 signals no-nonsense approach to business. It seems like most of the business books I've read have been focussed at people running (or wanting to run) large businesses. I very happily run my small (3 full time, 20 freelancers) business with no aims of growing huge, but am still always aiming to improve how I do everything.

37 signals have put their past 7 years of experience into this fabulous little book and it's a great read and a really helpful one too.

RTX DUALphone 3088 for Skype (No PC Required)
RTX DUALphone 3088 for Skype (No PC Required)
Offered by liGo

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok solution - lots of little bugs, 29 Mar 2010
I bought this as a replacement for using my Skype Out number to forward to my normal phone. It's ok, and generally works fine. But sound quality is sometimes a little ropey and sounds like I'm at the bottom of a well.

Generally good - great idea. Needs a bit of improvement on the delivery. Will be sticking with it, but looking out for a better model.

Microsoft PowerPoint 2007 Home and Student Edition (PC)
Microsoft PowerPoint 2007 Home and Student Edition (PC)
Offered by One Logic Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Improvement on PowerPoint 2003, 29 Dec 2009
I use PowerPoint regularly as a tool for creating presentations, proposals and preparing screencasts too. PowerPoint 2007 is an improvement on PowerPoint 2003. Not a huge one, but enough to notice and be worth it.

It takes a bit of learning if you've only used Office 2003 because it uses the Office Ribbon, but if you've been using any of the other Office 2007 products you should get used to it quite quickly.

It's got a slightly simpler layout option in the ribbon, it's got slightly better master page options, lots of little things like that all add up.

Outliers: The Story of Success
Outliers: The Story of Success
by Malcolm Gladwell

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting pop science book - not scientfic, but is interesting, 3 Feb 2009
I thought this was a fascinating look into stories of success. What's key to notice is that although Malcolm Gladwell claims, or at least suggests, that he's looking at things scientifically, what he's really doing is telling stories. For instance, he doesn't really pin down what he means by success in the book, which makes the whole thing a bit tricky.

Really interesting though, would recommend it.