Profile for Matthew Carr > Reviews

Cable clips,round, 6 mm°, bag of 100 - white
Cable clips,round, 6 mm°, bag of 100 - white
Offered by RISKER

5.0 out of 5 stars Man points., 25 Jun. 2014
If you're like me, categorically useless at all things DIY yet still susceptible to a warm and fuzzy whenever you pick up a hammer, you'll love these.

I routed an Ethernet cable round my room and was amazed at how rewarding it felt afterwards. You can't do any damage when you're dealing with cable clips, so all the brief joy of feeling like a man was there without the guilt of, say, realising I'd put a great big hole in the roof trying to change a light switch.

They get the job done, fully recommend.

World of Data 30m WHITE Premium CAT6 Network Cable - Ethernet - LAN - Patch - Internet - Broadband - Router - Hub - Modem -10/100/1000 - Gigabit
Offered by World of Data Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Gets my bits from A to B, quickly and reliably, 23 Jun. 2014
It may be coincidental - and if not could almost certainly be achieved with 99% of other ethernet cables - but my highest download speed increased by almost 20mb after switching from wifi to this, which was a welcome surprise.

I also found the cable reasonably easy to route from one side of the room to the other, in fact I'd go as far as saying that it was almost therapeutic. It effectively has a mind of its own once it's in and around the desk, though.

Much, much, much better than wifi!

BlueRigger High Speed HDMI to DVI Adapter Cable (2 Meters)
BlueRigger High Speed HDMI to DVI Adapter Cable (2 Meters)
Offered by BlueRigger LLC

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the trick, 23 Jun. 2014
Had to buy two of these as the new monitors I'd bought had no DVI-inputs. Pleased to say they work well and look quite snazzy (for a cable).

Dell UltraSharp U2414H 23.8 inch Widescreen IPS LCD Monitor (1920 x 1080, 2M:1, 250 cd/m2, 8 ms, HDMI/DP/mini DP/USB)

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent monitor, but not without issues, 23 Jun. 2014
I'm going to attempt to review this monitor by answering the questions I had when contemplating buying it myself.

I needed a monitor that would:

- Offer a better experience for photo-editing than my previous (TN-Panel) monitor (colour accuracy, etc)
- Had generous viewing angles as I intended to have a multiple-monitor setup
- Offered a usable (lag/blur/motion/ghosting-free) experience for gaming
- A good stand or VESA mount options

Photography:

I read review after review of this and other monitors and ended up drowning somewhat in the sheer number of different criteria that need to be considered when buying monitors. Things, in truth, I still can't even pretend to understand with any real depth (gamut, contrast stability etc. etc.). In the end I trusted the review from TFT Central - which was very good for this monitor - for the technical bits and was essentially sold as far as the Photography aspect was concerned, but still had concerns over gaming.

I'd recommend the TFT Central review for anyone more knowledgeable with what to expect from a monitor they intend to use for photography. All I can really offer is that photos look noticeably better than on my previous monitor. Colours look vivid and sharp and these monitors do come factory calibrated (note: you need to manually change the preset to sRGB to access the factory calibration). Despicable Me looks very impressive and shows off the colours nicely! Whites look.. white. Blacks look.. as black as I'd expect. I can't say I've noticed any IPS glow, but I believe this is most visible when sitting in a completely dark room, which I don't tend to do.

There were a number of negative reviews of the Dell U2412m recently discussing a yellow-tint issue and I remember seeing one or two mention a similar issue when talking about the U2414h. I'm pleased to say that I haven't noticed any such issue. I'm also pleased to report that there is not a dead-pixel in sight and I bought three of these.

Gaming:

To qualify everything I'm about to say, I would not regard myself as a serious gamer. I spend a lot of time playing games but I don't play in serious competition and don't play many multiplayer FPS titles either. I do play racing games (The Grid series, especially) online and many single-player first-person games. I have never used a 120hz monitor, however my previous (60hz) monitor was rated at 2ms response time, which is probably about average/good for gaming monitors. I did therefore have concerns for gaming when moving to 8ms response time of the U2414h. If you drop into threads on gaming/hardware forums discussing monitors you will see response time figures banded around regularly and broadly speaking refresh rates and response-times are the law. Higher refresh rates and lower response times win. Simple as that. So if, like me, you've already decided on an IPS-panel, then these forums can be a frustrating place to be.

So it is with great delight that I can say I have noticed zero difference in terms of motion blur or 'ghosting' effects moving from my 8ms response time monitor vs my old 2ms response time monitor. My old monitor might have been a lie. Maybe it's not noticeable in the games I've played. Maybe I just can't tell the difference. Regardless, for me, games have only became more enjoyable as the colour accuracy is now better and I have the option for nVidia surround.

Display port:

You may have noticed the lack of criticism so far, mostly as now the monitors are up and running I'm yet to have any real complaints. Getting them set up, though, was a little trickier:

It's easy to say display port is terrible on this monitor and, from my experience, it is, but I don't know for sure whether this is a Dell issue or an nVidia issue. All I know is that I could not get it to work, particularly when trying to Daisy Chain the monitors. I suspect that there is blame on both sides and with nVidia cards being quite common I guess "who's at fault" is irrelevant if there are other monitors out there that simply don't have the issues. I've docked a star for the display port issues but if Display Port does not concern you (I use HDMI instead) then this would be 5 stars all the way.

General Design/Build Quality:

In a word, brilliant. The bezels on this monitor are fantastic, placing side-by-side, the combined width of two bezels is less than that from one of my previous monitors. They look superb in nVidia surround and I presume they would in Eyefinity as well. The monitor stand is surprisingly solid and very easy to adjust and I think there is an option to VESA mount the monitors if needed (Though I think you need a special 'VESA mount kit' from Dell to do this. Tut tut, Dell).

A (very) minor complaint is that I found it quite awkward to plug display-port/hdmi cables into the monitor once it was on the stand. I found it a bit easier by tilting the monitor backwards to give myself a bit more room but it was still awkward. The stand can be swivelled and allows for the monitor to be moved into portrait mode, I haven't really used either since setting them up but these features seemed to function as well as you'd expect.

The absence of DVI inputs, particularly given the Display Port issues, is an issue. I had to buy two DVI to HDMI cables. Not particularly expensive but inconvenient nonetheless.

Summary:

If you're looking for a monitor that is a step-up from a TN-panel for photo-editing/other colour work, happy to play on a 60hz monitor for gaming and have no major affinity for Display Port then I would recommend these completely. Hope this can help people who were on the fence as I was!
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 22, 2015 12:51 PM BST

VeloChampion Tornado Cycling Running Sports Sunglasses - White with 3 Sets of Lenses and Soft Pouch - for outdoor sports like cycling running golfing trekking hiking skiing shooting fishing and driving
Offered by Maxgear Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, 10 Sept. 2013
Bought these a few months ago once I'd gotten fed up of midges flying into my eyes.

Have to say I'm delighted with them, the price was excellent, they're comfortable and the three sets of lenses mean that I'll be able to use them throughout winter as well.

My only minor criticism is that I found changing the lenses a bit fiddly. The glasses feel sturdy enough, but I imagine people before me have broken theirs by being a little too rough. Don't let that put you off though, fully recommend.

Plantronics GameCom 780 Open Ear Gaming Headset with 7.1 Surround Sound
Plantronics GameCom 780 Open Ear Gaming Headset with 7.1 Surround Sound

3.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable overall quality but comfort an issue., 25 May 2013
Firstly, with regards to price, this headset is a bargain. If you compare it to similar models, many of which could have identical problems to those I'm about to describe, then these should win out every time - especially for a casual user.

Sound quality is good, whilst they don't wow me as much as my entry-level Sennheiser's they're certainly not 5x worse, as the price would have you believe. The 7.1 surround software also works reasonably well during a quick test, though I haven't really played enough FPS (the only games I'd see you getting a real benefit from this) to say one way or another.

But unfortunately, for me, the comfort just isn't there. These headphones sit on the ear and can be uncomfortable for any sessions longer than an hour, especially if you've been spoiled by the joy that is over-ear headphones.

I can't say that I wouldn't recommend them as I can't claim categorically that - for everyone - these headphones will be uncomfortable. However, I now find myself searching for a new gaming headset, strictly over-ear.

Allcam MDM05 Dual Stand with Swivel Arm and Desk Clamp for LCD Monitor - Silver
Allcam MDM05 Dual Stand with Swivel Arm and Desk Clamp for LCD Monitor - Silver
Offered by eHome

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple, Sturdy, but Stiff..., 12 April 2013
Bought this product a few months ago now to free up a bit of desk space and to get my monitors at a more comfortable height.

No real complaints. The product was easy to assemble and fairly easy to adjust to the height I wanted. I would recommend getting someone to help hold the displays whilst you attach them to the mounts, but it is possible to do it alone.

My only criticism - hence the 4 stars - is that with my particular stand the 'joint' (or whatever it may be called) for rotating the display was stiff to the point where I couldn't quite get my displays to line up properly without an hour or so of frustration. As extension to this, moving the displays isn't quite as easy as you'd perhaps expect - again, quite stiff. These shouldn't be a problem though if, like me, you prefer your displays to stay where you put them to begin with.

Overall, looks good - has that command centre feel - and frees up space on my desk. Good value as well, as I remember most alternatives being considerably more expensive.

Would happily recommend.