Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer (Harpenden, Herts United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
MiEco® GU10 LED Bulb 4 Watt - 10 Pack - 320 Lumens - 50 Watt Replacement - 120º Beam Angle - Aluminium Heat Sync To Ensure 50,000 Hour Lifespan
Offered by OnlineLEDoutlet

5.0 out of 5 stars Like the sun, 22 May 2014
I looked into so many LED 50w GU10 replacement bulbs I went blind. Gave these a bash on the strength of the reviews and they do not disappoint. And the price is phenomenal. I hope they last as long as they claim, but these are a really good replacement for 50w GU10s. Very bright - perhaps a little whiter than our halogens, but not so you feel like you're in a casualty department or anything. In a room where a strong source of clean light is required (like our study) these are perfect.

Very impressed

Bigger Leaner Stronger: The Simple Science of Building the Ultimate Male Body (Bodybuilding Books, Building Muscle, Weightlifting, Fitness Training, Weight Training, Lose Fat Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars More than a workout book, 22 May 2014
I am a perennial workout magpie. I love finding the latest things, giving them a go for two weeks, getting sick and then giving up. The most recent workout plans I have tried (aside from simply going out for a run or a bike ride) are Mark Verstegen's Core Performance plan (Essentials, Standard and Endurance) and Todd Durkin's IMPACT! plan (similar to a p90x/Insanity-type workout). While they all have their merits (Durkin's in particular will kick your backside), they all have problems - mainly due to the equipment needed to perform some of the exercises and the time needed to do a workout (I think an IMPACT! workout, on average, was taking me around 90 minutes).

Now, as I was browsing Amazon for a few intersting things, I happened acros Mike Matthews' The Shredded Chef for pennies and decided to buy it. Based on the information in that book, and on Mike's website, I thought I'd give this one a try. Now, the Kndle version has its flaws and the book itself could perhaps be laid out a little more efficiently - it suffers, as most workout books do, from containing about 60 pages on what this book will do for you before it tells you how to do it - the information given in it is honest, straightforward, well researched (whether or not you agree with that research is up to you) and well explained.

The workouts are similarly straightforward and easy to follow (BLS is very very simple - lift progressively heavy weights using effective compound exercises, check your diet and don't go mad on the cardio). If you work out at home then you may need to make a few adjustments (there are some alternatives in the book and there are a plethora of muscle forums with ideas for you to try). I like the idea one reviewer gave of combining BLS and The Shredded Chef into one book, or at least having some detailed meal plans in BLS. But, as Mike says, diet is a very personal thing so I can see why you would leave that out.

BUT, the biggest thing with BLS (and any of Mike's other books) is that you are getting way more than the book. First off you get the freebies at the end of the book which, OK, don't work on a Kindle but you can download them from the link you get emailed. Then there's Mike's excellent website which is being regularly updated with choice articles, again well-researched and well written, and his Facebook page.

Finally, you get Mike. I've messaged him a few times with questions about the workouts and his responses have always been thorough and polite. You can see from the reviews here he has taken the time to connect with everyone whether or not they have given favourable reviews, to thank them for buying the book.

I've only been following the prgram for three weeks as I write this. I can tell that it is making a difference although the results are obviously not in quite yet. But the simplicity of the plan coupled with the relative ease and time taken to do the workouts (believe me, I'm lifting as much as I can but this workout plan focuses on low reps of heavy weights, so you're never kind of gasping for breath or screaming in agony) means I am more likley to stick with it.

Bottom line is, if you had paid £20 for this book you may expect that level of service from the author (or the author's megabucks corporation), but I paid less than £5 for this Kindle copy and I am getting a great book coupled with truly outstanding customer service from the author himself. I don't think you can ask for a lot more than that.

So, if you're a real cheapskate then just follow Mike on Facebook and visit his blog. He'll still talk to you. But if you want to see the kind of workout which has given him a pretty decent body then, for the price, it would be silly not to pick up a copy of Bigger, Leaner, Stronger.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 23, 2014 7:46 PM BST

Vernon God Little
Vernon God Little
by D. B. C. Pierre

4.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 16 July 2004
This review is from: Vernon God Little (Paperback)
I thouroughly enjoyed Vernon God Little. I found the style quite fresh and always funny; I laughed out loud on a number of occasions. The observational humour is superb but it can be a bit metaphor-heavy in places. I found it read a lot like Chuck Pahlaniuk's (?) Fight Club, whic is, of course, no bad thing.
I felt genuine compassion for Vernon, and many of the other characters, and a good amount of loathing for others.
As to the final chapter. I think the book may have stayed a little truer to its overall tone had it been omitted but I certainly didn't feel that it ruined the book. The overall ending is delghtfully twisted; just what I was expecting and yet not what I was expecting at all.
Can't really see why anyone would hate it. My wife, for example, certainly wouldn't enjoy it but hate is a little strong. Definitely worth a look if you're after something different. I look forward to any more works from Mr Pierre.

T2: The Future War (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
T2: The Future War (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
by S. M. Stirling

3.0 out of 5 stars A pleasant surprise, 14 Jun. 2004
Someone handed me this book at work and I have to say I was not expecting great things, but while I was waiting for the His Dark Materials trilogy to arrive for my birthday, I thought I'd give it a go.
I'll start by saying that I am a huge fan of T1 and T2, but I never saw T3, so I had no preconceived ideas baout what I was or wasn't getting myself into. I also haven't read either of the other books in this series. I came in blind.
I found this book incredibly easy to get into, and I immediately identified with the characters. I felt that John Connor had been developed well and was a hero that I could definitely root for.
Th first half of the book is gripping stuff. There's a real sense of panic and urgency, and despite the constant shifts between Skynet, Sarah, John, Mary etc, it never became confusing. It feels epic in its scope.
So I was somewhat disappointed by the last 100 pages or so where the author decided to keep skipping through time; seven years later; then another two or three until suddenly John's gone from his late teens to 42 years of age.
But while I was displeased with this aspect, the rest of the book was thoroughly enjoiyable and the ending one of those 'eureka' type moments. I was very impressed with the way the author managed to tie all of the threads together, to keep the story in the tradition of the first two movies, to break down the technical sections into manageable chunks (a bit like Michael Crichton), and to offer up enough suspense and surprise to keep me reading to the end.
If you're a fan of the films but disillusioned with the conclusion of the series then I'd definitely recommend this. I feel now that T3 will be a disappointment if I eventually get around to watching it. Maybe I'll see if I can blag the other books in the series.

SILVER SIDE UP
SILVER SIDE UP
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars At last; something that rawks!!!, 28 Jan. 2002
This review is from: SILVER SIDE UP (Audio CD)
I've been into heavy music for over 10 years now but just recently I'd started looking for other styles because I couldn't find anything that tickled my fancy. Nickelback have restored my faith in heavy music; at last a new (ish) band that aren't afraid to rock out. This album has some classic riffs and some excellent songs. I found some of the lyrics a little too narrative, not quite poetic enough for my tastes, but the music cannot be argued with. Stand this up against Staind's Break the Cycle and those guys don't stand a chance. Silver Side Up is the sort of album I listen to, then put it on again...and again.
Stand out tracks are How You Remind Me, a true anthem, Never Again and Good Times Gone, but there's really not a bad track on here.
If you really like this album, can I recommend two more for your listening pleasure:
Corrosion of Conformity's 'Wiseblood' and Down's 'NOLA. Both these albums lean to the heavier side of Nickelback's style but they're both fantastic discs.

American Psycho
American Psycho
by Bret Easton Ellis

4.0 out of 5 stars Gruesome but worth reading, 17 Aug. 2001
This review is from: American Psycho (Paperback)
I'm wearing a blue T-shirt by Donnay, dark blue overdyed jeans by Burtons menswear and white Cortez trainers by Nike. Perhaps I did this the wrong way round. I saw the film before I read the book which gave me a lot of preconceived ideas about the characters. The book, however, is much deeper than the movie and gives more of an insight into Bateman's character. He is pathetic, he is worthless and he has no morals, BUT I found myself thinking he was more deserving of compassion than his aquaintances. There are even times when you feel sorry for him. There is a lot of black humour here, I laughed out loud on a number of occassions, not least at the seriousness with which Bateman describes his favourite music. This book perfectly represents how we desensitize ourselves to acts of violence. When Bateman breaks the legs of the tramp's mongrel, I was shocked, but by the time he drowns Nutrasweet, the Sharpei, I wasn't concerned in the slightest. The ending sums up the entire pointlessness of the whole sorry story: nobody cares about anybody and nobody cares what you do. Read this book with an open mind and prepare to be taken on a journey into hopelessness.

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Book 2)
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Book 2)
by J.K. Rowling

4.0 out of 5 stars Much better but still lacks a decent punch, 10 Aug. 2001
This was much more intriguing than the first book because it didn't have to introduce all of the characters and the strange situation. The book was a lot darker in its tone and it will be interesting to see how they make this into a kids film. The new dark arts teacher was a bit of a waste of space and I didn't feel that he added anything to the story although I did suspect him at one point. All in all a good follow up to the first book and I am looking forward to therest.

The Souls of Black Folk (Dover Thrift Editions)
The Souls of Black Folk (Dover Thrift Editions)
by W. E. B. Du Bois

4.0 out of 5 stars An absolutely timeless eye�opener, 10 Aug. 2001
I studied US History at university. Like mmost US history courses, we studied the slave trade and its repurcussions on society and we were encouraged to read DuBois although I never got around to it. I'm glad I picked up this book, which is essentially a group of stories and observations on life 'behind the veil'. I was reading and reading and taking it all in, and then I came to a paragraph in the last chapter asking the question 'would America be as it is today if it wasn't for the negro slave?'. I read this paragraph ten times at least. I have no answer for the questions it poses, but it really sums the book up. This is essential reading. I would heartily recommend it to anybody.

Reign in Blood
Reign in Blood

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing comes close, 31 July 2001
This review is from: Reign in Blood (Audio CD)
For the half hour that this is playing, you'll either feel like your head is being battered by an iron bar, or think that you have witnessed the greatest display of musical brutality available. Reign In Blood is without doubt one of the greatest and most important heavy metal albums ever created. Each track is filled with fire and fury. Put this disc in your stereo and be prepared to go on a journey to hell and back. From the opening bars of Angel of Death to the last thunder crack of Reign in Blood, this album is pure, unadulterated genius.

The Lord of the Rings (3 Book Box set)
The Lord of the Rings (3 Book Box set)
by Brian Sibley

5.0 out of 5 stars What the word 'epic' was invented for., 30 July 2001
To think that one man's imagination created all of this is absolutely staggering. The depth of character and cleverly devised storyline is utterly brilliant. I am in serious danger of using far too many superlatives in this review. I must admit that it took me a while to get into the book, and at various times I thought that the characters were making unneccasarily long speeches, but by the end you realise that each speech is absolutely essential to the development of the plot and your involvement in the storyline. Many times I found myself flinching with surprise or fear, and laughing with the good times and the friendship. I will remember this book for the rest of my life and I hope to read it a few more times before I meet my maker. Unreservedly reccomended.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3