Profile for Hammie > Reviews

Stewed!
Stewed!
by Alan Rosenthal

5.0 out of 5 stars Now my favourite cook book, 10 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Stewed! (Hardcover)
I'm a big fan of cook books, I have loads of them. This has now taken up the Number 1 spot - which is no mean feat.

I bought this book after enjoying several of the brand's stew pot lunches - made me realise someone knows what they're doing, and I wasn't disappointed with the book. It's rare that I flick through a book and actually want to make all the recipes; but that's exactly what this book delivers.

It's well written, informal and yet instructional, with good pics, nice graphic design and little descriptions of the dish's origin of why it has ended up in this book.

I particularly like the fact it is all one-pot wonders, it creates some great classics (eg Coq au Vin, Boston beans, Boeuf Bourguignon, Jambalya) and new favourites for when entertaining friends but not wanting to have to stay in the kitchen attending to the stove.

The recipes are also very economical as, by the nature of the dishes, they use cheap cuts of meat, dried pulses etc.

My top tip? Make double portions. Yes, you'll only just cram it all in to your chosen cooking pot but many of the recipes freeze exceedingly well and you will always have delicious meals ready for you!

Well done Alan Rosenthal, awesome job. I look forward to more books.