Profile for trancewerk > Reviews

9-11 on Trial: The World Trade Center Collapse
9-11 on Trial: The World Trade Center Collapse
by Victor Thorn

5.0 out of 5 stars The Scary Truth., 15 Sep 2014
After reading this book, there is only one conclusion you can come to - it is obvious that WE WERE ALL LIED TO!!!

I always had my doubts about the actual events of that day and my suspicions have grown as the years passed. This book confirms what I've been thinking for a long, long time. People say: "Oh, they wouldn't do a thing like that", but that's that the people at the top rely on, i.e. that we won't believe that our wonderful leaders could possibly do such a vile thing. Remember, us little people outside their circles are insignificant and expendible to them and they will do anything, how ever evil, to achieve their own aims.

Last Voices of World War I [DVD]
Last Voices of World War I [DVD]
Dvd ~ Nick Maddocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant! A must see DVD., 4 Aug 2014
This is a brilliant documentary and it was worth every penny.

I've only watched the first disc so far, but I am very impressed and would recommend it to anyone thinking of buying it. It is so nice to see history from the point of view of the men and women who were actually there.

It is both horrific and moving to see and hear what those poor people endured and suffered. A war to end all wars? If only it had been... But as Celia Johnson said in "This Happy Breed" (another brilliant DVD) - 'There will always be wars as long as men are stupid enough to want to go to them...' (or words to that effect).

Shure SRH550DJ DJ Headphones
Shure SRH550DJ DJ Headphones
Offered by JSP online

5.0 out of 5 stars VERY HAPPY WITH THESE., 2 Jun 2012
After years of buying cheaper headphones (£20-£30) and not getting what I really wanted from them, i.e. decent bass, it was time to invest in some more expensive quality ones. What with money getting tighter and not knowing how tight it is going to get with the way things are nowadays, after lots of 'umming' and 'ahhing' I decided I'd jump in and buy these headphones before the time comes when I can't afford them.

These headphones certainly look and feel good when you get them out of the box. It was nice to feel some good solid headphones around my ears and the bass I now get is exactly what I was looking for. I like various types of music, but I like bassy dance music and being able to hear good bass is essential - there's nothing worse than good bass sounding like a cardboard box being hit with a spoon! In short, these are a good investment if you are strapped for cash and can't afford the really top range headphones (which cost £100 plus) and you're sick of the cheaper ones. I'm no audio expert, but my ears very happy with these and I'm glad I bought them. And I'm looking forward to re-listening to some of my old CD's again on these headphones.

Admittedly it feels odd, in a good way, having those big pads on my ears after having lighter ones for so long, and they need a tiny bit of adjustment to get them just right for comfort, but that's just a tiny issue. Then again, it mught just be my ears. :o)

Delivery was via Absolute Music in Bournemouth and they arrived quickly on the day they said they would arrive, so top marks to them. Thanks.

The Nautilus Project
The Nautilus Project

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality stuff., 26 April 2012
As soon I I heard this album I loved the warm sound it has due to the added bass guitar, whereas a lot of modern dance music, eventhough I love it, lacks this warmth.

To me, this album oozes class. It also has slower tracks with nice vocals. My least favourite track is "Funkatron", not that it is bad, but the rest of the album is great, not a naff track anywhere. It's a bit like Max Essa and others on the Bear Funk label, but better.

Well Worth 5 stars.

Ghost in the Rain
Ghost in the Rain

5.0 out of 5 stars Music to immerse yourself in., 26 April 2012
This review is from: Ghost in the Rain (MP3 Download)
I took a chance on this album and was glad I did.

This guy (George Pappas) writes music that has some depth and substance to it instead of all this fluffy sing-about-nothing-in-particular stuff that seems to be the general standard these days. His voice is very similar to that of Martin Gore (Depeche Mode) whose voice I have always liked.

The music isn't hard dance music, but it has a really nice, almost relaxing, quality about it - something you can immerse yourself in. The subject matter of the songs is on the darker side and a bit 'gothy', which is right up my street, but if that's not your thing, don't let it put you off.

As a result of listening to this album, I decided to give his other album ("The Unquiet Grave") a try and it is also a very good album of the same quality. I recommend it if you like this one. He has gained a new fan.

Well worth a 5 star rating. More please!

Life As We Knew It
Life As We Knew It
by Susan Pfeffer

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good read, 26 April 2012
This review is from: Life As We Knew It (Paperback)
After reading previous reviews, I thought I'd give this book a try. It was worth it.
In my mind I could picture everything so vividly while I was reading this story that I thought, if it was handled properly, that it could make a good film too. With the warnings about the appraching asteroid in February 2013, reading this book makes you think even more: What if? I know this book is intended for teenage readers, but as a 51-year-old man, I really enjoyed reading this book.

Autumn
Autumn
by David Moody

5.0 out of 5 stars GRIPPING STUFF!!!, 10 Feb 2012
This review is from: Autumn (Paperback)
I'm new to the Zombie novel and these books have been a great introduction to the genre for me. I enjoyed them all so much that they all get a 5 star rating.

I bought all 4 of the Autumn series and read them all in 2 weeks. They are the kind of book that yuo can get lost in and you don't want to put down once you start reading them. I never got bored at any stage. Lots of nail-biting bits in there. The only disappointment for me was coming to the end of the books. I look forward to the next book in the series. BRILLIANT!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 12, 2012 9:21 AM BST

Life With Father [1947] [DVD]
Life With Father [1947] [DVD]
Dvd ~ William Powell
Offered by skyvo-direct

1.0 out of 5 stars The ELSTREE HILL DVD of this film., 10 Feb 2012
BEWARE OF THIS 'ELSTREE HILL' COPY!!!

A brilliant film, spoilt by terrible copying. I was so looking forward to seeing this film again and was totally disappointed - the picture and sound were absolutely terrible!!! It doesn't even deserve the one star rating for this reason.

I am now looking on Amazon for the same film from a different distributor, but with a superior quality picture than this copy I bought - which wouldn't be hard. The DVD I bought, is released by ELSTREE HILL. I have had other DVD's from this company before and found them to have as equally bad sound and picture quality as this DVD. I shall avoid all of their DVD's in future and save wasting my money.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 11, 2013 3:09 PM BST

Just Henry [DVD]
Just Henry [DVD]
Dvd ~ Josh Bolt

5.0 out of 5 stars A cracking bit of British drama, 18 Dec 2011
This review is from: Just Henry [DVD] (DVD)
I've just finished watching this on TV and I thought it was a wonderful story. I just had to have it on DVD when it comes out, so I've pre-ordered it. Great feeling of nostalgia about it and you see England as it was circa 1950.

If you didn't see it, it's about a boy whose father died in the war and 9 years later he returns - and he's not the nice man that his son remembers him to be, in fact he's nasty! His wife has re-married, is pregnant with her new husbands baby, and the 'dead' husband wants his son and his wife back, but after the intial discovery that he's alive, neither wants him back (hope my explanation makes sense). I won't tell how it ends as it would be a shame to spoil it for those who haven't seen it. If you like A cracking bit of good British period drama, buy this DVD. Well worth a five star rating. Brilliant!

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars An ideal "man bag"., 1 Dec 2011
I was sick of my rucksack (too big) and sick of carrier bags (always wearing out) so I decided I'd buy a shoulder bag to carry my bits around in. My first thought was a Messenger Bag, but not having a laptop (oh no!) a Messenger bag was too big for my needs. Then I spotted these Ammo Bags and thought I'd risk buying one (I chose the plain olive coloured one).

It turned out to be perfect for my needs, being a bloke, and I can carry my wallet, a telescopic umbrella, gloves, keys, glasses, sunglasses and all that sort of thing in it with room to spare. No more need for cramming pockets full and wondering where to put things, so I'm very pleased with it. My sister saw it and liked it so much that she asked me to get her one for Christmas, which I have done.

The first bag was slow to arrive - I think that was the fault of the postal system rather than the seller - but the 2nd one arrived pretty fast.

I gave the bag 4 stars as it hasn't been tested in the rain yet for it's water resistance, but I have a waterproof thing inside that will protect things that could get damaged by dampness, otherise it's a very good and useful little bag.

Page: 1 | 2