Profile for KymH > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Night Book
The Night Book

3.0 out of 5 stars Enoyable, 17 July 2016
This review is from: The Night Book (Kindle Edition)
This is an enjoyable, lightweight read probably best suited for dipping in and out of as you laze by the pool.

The Corrections
The Corrections

3.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable reading but nothing special, 15 July 2016
This review is from: The Corrections (Kindle Edition)
The best thing about The Corrections is the characterisation of Lambert family - the pettiness and foibles and their unending dissatisfaction with each other. In terms of the book as a whole, there were parts I really loved; where the writing was so vivid and real I felt completely wrapped up in the story. But at other times, the rambling prose put me off a little - sometimes it didn't seem like it was in the right place in the context of the story.

Overall The Corrections is quite a good read with a decent enough ending but it was nothing special.

i-Swim Pro Swimming Goggles - Anti Fog Technology - Comfortable - Watertight - Clear Vision - 100% Money Back Guarantee - Mirrored With UV Protection - Swim Goggle Glasses For Men And Women Best For Adults Kids 10+ Boys And Girls - Includes FREE Premium Protective Case FREE Nose Clip And FREE Ear Plugs
Offered by i-sportspro

3.0 out of 5 stars Lens too dark for indoor use, 13 July 2016
I swim twice weekly at an indoor pool and while the anti-fog and fit aspects are good, the lenses are a little dark for this environment. I'd recommend them more for outdoor use (but this is not what I need them for thus the 3-star okay rating).)
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 15, 2016 10:48 AM BST

I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings (VMC)
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings (VMC)

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great, 1 July 2016
While the story of Angelou's formative years was interesting, I just couldn't really get into this as much as I thought I would. And I can't even explain why. A good but not great read.

The Seed Collectors
The Seed Collectors

3.0 out of 5 stars Likable enough, 23 Jun. 2016
I saw Thomas interviewed recently at a literary fair and liked her style so while I rated this only 3 stars, I would probably give something else of hers a go as a result. I did love the idea of all of the family connections with nature and the strange seed story but I wasn't really clear where it was all going for most of the book. I also loved the way Bryony was written - her voice rang the truest for me - but in comparison, felt that the other characters were under-developed. And while I ended up liking the book as a whole, I found it a little confusing to keep track of who was talking in some sections where there's dialogue but the speakers aren't named. Likable enough but not the joyous experience I was hoping for.

The Book Thief: 10th Anniversary Edition
The Book Thief: 10th Anniversary Edition

4.0 out of 5 stars A beautifully written tale of hope and humanity, 12 Jun. 2016
Death itself tells this moving story of young Leisel Meminger, a German girl living in a small town near the Dachau concentration camp with her foster parents, Hans and Rosa Hubermann. Her friendships, her fight for some sort of purpose or meaning and her passion for words makes her story poignant and uplifting despite the ever-present fear of discovery and the horror of living in Hitler's Germany that Zusak depicts so vividly. Death's narration adds a unique perspective and brings a little depth to each of the characters that surround Leisel, from the mayor's wife, Isla Hermann right though to best friend, Rudy Steiner. A beautifully written tale of hope and humanity.

The Hourglass Factory
The Hourglass Factory

4.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 4 Jun. 2016
I really enjoyed this. It's a tale of intrigue and murder set against the backdrop of the suffragette movement of the early 1900's and features a rather diverse cast of characters varying from the 'man-nish' Frankie to the flamboyant Twinkle. The author does admit to sometimes playing fast and loose with the historical facts but if you read this in the fictional spirit that she intends, I don't think that it matters. A great read for my next book group discussion in a couple of weeks time.

White Noise
White Noise

2.0 out of 5 stars Glad it's over, 28 May 2016
This review is from: White Noise (Kindle Edition)
I found this really difficult to get into. In most parts it felt rambling and pointless and frankly I'm pretty glad it's over.

Ferney: A beautifully written time-slip novel
Ferney: A beautifully written time-slip novel

5.0 out of 5 stars Really glad this was recommended, 19 May 2016
This was recommended to me and I am so glad it was. I was liking it an awful lot for most of the way through and then the last few chapters elevated it to a big fat 5 stars. I just had to keep going to find out how it would all turn out.

The Buried Giant
The Buried Giant
by Kazuo Ishiguro

4.0 out of 5 stars A lovely read., 14 May 2016
This review is from: The Buried Giant (Hardcover)
This is by far my favourite of Ishiguro's novels. The story of Axl and Beatrice and their journey to visit their son forms the spine of this adventure with other characters rounding it out and giving it a soft richness that allows the plot to unfold as gently as their journey together. A really lovely read.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20