Profile for Naughton > Reviews

Content by Naughton

Naughton

12TB QNAP TS-412 (Seagate NAS HDDs) Networked Attached Storage
12TB QNAP TS-412 (Seagate NAS HDDs) Networked Attached Storage

2.0 out of 5 stars OK on it's own but useless with another NAS - and BEWARE FIRMWARE UPGRADES, 31 Aug. 2013
I have had one of these devices for a couple of years and found it reliable until a firmware upgrade arrived which trashed it. At this point I realised that all the redundant drives in the world weren't going to help this problem!
Fortunately I had made recent backups.
I factory reset the NAS - at which point it told me that I had a bad hard drive. I didn't, it tested perfectly and I spent 3 days rebuilding and restoring.
As there is a facility to back up from one NAS to another I purchased another identical NAS and set about syncing one with the other.
This is where the fun really started - there are 3 methods of backing up one NAS to the other and NONE OF THEM WORK.
The QNAP forums are full of articles all pointing at firmware issues. I have had tech support logging in to my machine for a week with no success.
In summary - if you are going to get one of these please be aware that QNAP seem to release flaky firmware so you need to either keep a constant backup (which the NAS won't do) or don't accept a firmware upgrade until you have trawled the forums to assure yourself that it won't trash your system.
I am not a happy bunny; I could have lost years of data, videos & pictures.

Update: I tried getting the QNAP NAS to backup to a Synology NAS - it worked like a dream so I have sent the QNAP back & ordered a Synology 412+.

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Flimsy, 26 July 2013
Whilst this product clearly will fit a range of models, this flexibility is it's downfall. I carefully attached my precious & expensive Garmin Montana 600 only to find it wobbling like a scared toddler as I set off on my bike. As I feared the GPS fell out of the holder - luckily I caught it without either of us hitting the floor. I won't entrust my GPS to this product again - a waste of money. 2 stars because it might work with a different GPS, but the curved back of the 600 meant it had to be attached by 4 flimsy prongs.

Sony BDP-S570B 3D Blu-ray Player
Sony BDP-S570B 3D Blu-ray Player

4.0 out of 5 stars Maybe a bit long in the tooth, 26 Oct. 2011
Depends what you want it for.....
As a blu ray it's great.
Internet TV is great.
Playing video from a file server .......not so great.
It won't play current hi-def formats from a media server - doesn't like hi def .mpg, mp4, m2ts, mts. Is OK on lower res .mpg. and OK with divx in an avi container.
Has a usb port but won't recognise usb hard drives.
As far as pictures go, it will only view .jpg.
To view my latest hi def video from my server (which I compile in .mp4 to write to blu ray) I need to recompile to a very large divx .avi to view over ethernet.

I suppose I'm fussy - I expect something that plugs into my network to play current standard files over the network.

Having said all that it's a lot better than other current models.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 5, 2011 9:49 AM GMT

Philips BDP 7600/12 Blu-ray Disc Playe, BDP7600/12
Philips BDP 7600/12 Blu-ray Disc Playe, BDP7600/12

3.0 out of 5 stars Extras don't work, 21 Oct. 2011
It's a Blu Ray player that claims to supply internet TV and view pictures/videos from a media server in your home.
Sadly these last features do not work reliably in my home.
There is a well known 'issue' with the BBC iplayer whereby the machine will log onto the BBC iplayer website but not play programmes. This has been talked about on various forums for several weeks and, is seems, Philips are blaming the BBC.
As of 21 Oct 2011 it is not resolved.
My media server setup is standard, nothing fancy. Every other device I have has no problems finding and playing media.
This finds movies (in standard formats) but won't play them.
It will show pictures though.
I'm using ethernet so it isn't a data transfer rate issue.
So, if you just want to play dvd's it's fine, but if you want the extras look elsewhere.
Mine's going back.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 29, 2011 9:51 AM BST

TP-LINK TD-W8901G 4-Port 54MBPS Wireless ADSL2+ Router
TP-LINK TD-W8901G 4-Port 54MBPS Wireless ADSL2+ Router

1.0 out of 5 stars doesn't like compications..., 6 Mar. 2011
I bought 4 of these - 3 to act as wireless access points, one to use as a router.
Whichever I use as a dhcp server/router it seems to hand out the same ip address to more than one device meaning sudden loss of internet +/- network access until the router is factory reset.
This is happening daily.
Currently my network printer and android phone have the same address and, I assume, are shouting at each other but neither will take any notice of me.
It's a great shame as initial setup was a dream and I loved being able to pick my provider from a drop down list.
I will keep them as they are cheap wireless access points but am about to buy another router.

Toshiba NB305-10F 10.1 inch Netbook (Intel Atom N455, 1GB RAM, 250GB HDD, Bluetooth, Up to 11hrs battery life, Windows 7 Starter)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 11 Aug. 2010
This is a fab little device I use mainly in meetings to save the rainforests (OK it probably cost a ton of CO2 to produce).
Keyboard, screen, battery life all great & the wireless has a fair reach.
Only problem I have come across is that AVG free antivirus interferes with the power saving options - it took me days to work that out & several re-installs of the system.

Microsoft's free antivirus works fine, however.