Profile for San Diego surfer > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
An American Bride in Kabul: A Memoir
An American Bride in Kabul: A Memoir
by Phyllis Chesler

4.0 out of 5 stars A harrowing autobiography of captivity and betrayal, 14 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book provides a very in-depth insight, not only into the life of the author but also of the Afghan history and culture that she married into. It is a harrowing story of her journey as an American bride in Afghanistan, encompassing captivity and betrayal, and has the reader poised for action throughout. It highlights the need for honesty and openness and reveals the traps that can ensnare women. It also reveals how religions can bind and change love.

Set in a backdrop of beauty, alternating with squalor and deprivation, Chesler leads the reader through a maze of different and complex emotions. The reader cannot leave the book without feeling that there is much work still to be done regarding the role of women in society and their rights in the modern world.

Chesler's writing is descriptive and engaging as she writes about her life. However, at times the descent into the history can become a bit tedious. Overall, though, it is a book to be recommended, especially to anyone who is interested in other cultures and women's rights.

Braun Silk-épil 7 7569 - Wet & Dry Cordless Epilator with 6 Extras (Including Shaver Head and Trimmer Cap, Cleansing Brush for Face)

4.0 out of 5 stars Painful but effective!, 15 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a quality, well-made product and it comes with lots of extras, including a cleansing brush for the face, which is very effective. After using it with an exfoliating cream, I definitely noticed a difference in my skin. It claims to clean pores and it actually does.

But on to the painful bit: this was my first experience using an epilator and I tried it out in the bath, thinking that the warm water would make it less painful. Not so! Braun states that "you may feel a little discomfort during your first epilation sessions". A *little* discomfort?! This is, after all, a device with 40 little tweezers which rotate at a high speed and rip hair out by the roots. I would advise epilating in small doses. Apparently it gets easier the more you epilate. It is an effective way of removing hair, as long as you can grit your teeth and get past the initial pain!

We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves
We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves
by Karen Joy Fowler

5.0 out of 5 stars A compelling, thought-provoking read, 15 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When Rosemary's sister, Fern, disappeared, she was devastated. The bond they shared was torn apart. But there is a twist with regard to Fern: she's not a 'sister' in the usual sense of the word. I won't write any spoilers here, although many readers will probably already know the twist before they start reading. I certainly did, due to the publicity I had read before I picked up this book. It is difficult to fully review We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves without giving anything away about the central theme which runs through the book.

Suffice to say, however, this is a compelling and thought-provoking read which gives you more than you expect. A dysfunctional family forms the main focus of the novel but it is not just another dysfunctional family saga. Fowler has written a deeply thought-provoking novel which weaves many different themes together: themes of humanity, identity, memory, psychology, philosophy and animal rights. Do read it!

Fisher-Price Perfect Fit Toilet Training Seat
Fisher-Price Perfect Fit Toilet Training Seat

4.0 out of 5 stars Bright, cheerful and easy to clean, 11 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It fits securely on the loo and is very easy to clean. The only reason I have docked a star is because it isn't cushioned and the plastic is quite brittle.

Garmin nuvi 2518LT-D 5" Sat Nav with UK and Ireland Maps, Free Lifetime Digital Traffic Alerts and Bluetooth

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 14 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is my first experience using a sat-nav so I have no experience with the TomTom/Garmin wars! Unlike many reviewers, I can't compare this with any other sat-navs on the market because I have always relied on a map and/or printed directions from Google, AA or similar. But now I am a sat-nav convert!

I am very pleased with the Garmin nuvi. It is a small stylish unit and is very easy to use. Although I haven't tried it out on a long journey yet, it is useful in my home area even though I don't need directions, because the live traffic alerts let me know when there is a traffic jam and when it would be better to take an alternative route. I do an almost daily journey on a road which has a lot of traffic and can get very congested so it is really wonderful to know in advance and plan an alternate route to avoid being late.

I will update my review when I have the opportunity to try this out on a long trip, other than the routine journey of my weekday commute.

Before the Fall
Before the Fall
by Juliet West

4.0 out of 5 stars Compelling WWI-set historical fiction, 14 May 2014
This review is from: Before the Fall (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The "love and war" genre can get a bit tiresome; there are so many historical fiction books that are set during WWI/WWII and I tend to avoid most of them. In fact, the last book in the war genre that I remember reading was Ian McEwan's engrossing novel "Atonement" in 2007 when the film adaptation came out. But something about the plot description made me choose Before the Fall and I am glad I did. This is West's debut novel and she writes with an engaging, descriptive style. The plot is believable: set in working class London, a young woman struggles with the burden of responsibility on her shoulders. Her husband is away at the Front and she has sacrificed so much for him, in a marriage where she isn't happy. When she meets Daniel, she faces a hard moral dilemma and has to make choices: should she continue in her dutiful, hard-working responsible life or choose love over duty?

Bosch AQT 37-13 High Pressure Washer
Bosch AQT 37-13 High Pressure Washer

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to assemble and works perfectly, 14 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It took me less than five minutes to put this pressure washer together. As it is a Bosch product, it is well-made and sturdy although I do agree with other reviewers that the little plastic nozzle at the front, to which you attach the water supply hose, is a little flimsy in design and feels as though it could be easily broken. That aside, it is a very useful piece of equipment. It is great for our flagstone patio and the force of the water takes the weeds out of the cracks between the stones; it makes weeding the patio much easier! I have also used it to wash the cars, leaving them sparkling clean. It is really simple and easy to use. I highly recommend it!

Sylvie and Star
Sylvie and Star
by Julia Green

5.0 out of 5 stars A sweet story for ages 7+, 14 May 2014
This review is from: Sylvie and Star (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is the perfect book for any animal-lover who is around the age of 7+. It is the type of book that I always loved reading as a child: a sweet story about a young girl and her puppy and it is beautifully illustrated with black and white drawings which really add to the story. Any fans of books such as the Animal Ark series or books by Michael Morpurgo would definitely enjoy this one.

Alpen Fruit & Nuts Trail Bar 48g x 3 (Pack of 11, 33 bars in total)
Alpen Fruit & Nuts Trail Bar 48g x 3 (Pack of 11, 33 bars in total)

2.0 out of 5 stars Too much glucose syrup!, 17 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I like the fruit and nut content of these bars but is it really necessary to add so much sugary syrup? While the bars are quite tasty and provide a good energy boost, I would not purchase them again, unless Alpen adjust their ingredients to take out the syrup and include more natural sweeteners.

Koochi Kickstart Group 1 Car Seat (Mix Magenta)
Koochi Kickstart Group 1 Car Seat (Mix Magenta)

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheerful colour, sturdy and easy to fit, 17 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The colour is brighter than the online photos show: it's a cheerful, bright pink with a hint of red. This Group 1 car seat is suitable for between 9 months up to 4 years. As it is only forward-facing, it is not suitable for newborns. It is easy to fit and the instructions are clear: written instructions as well as illustrations. The only reason I dropped a star is because the material is not as well padded as I would like it to be. Compared to other car seats, such as http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CJ8TLJW, the material does not feel such good quality and also, this car seat does not come with a 4-year-guarantee that certain other manufacturers offer. I am not absolutely 100% sold on this car seat, simply because I have used better. However, it is good value for money and I think it would be good for part-time use (e.g. in a grandparent's car).

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20