Profile for Melanie > Reviews

Content by Melanie

Melanie "MJ" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
JML Ceracraft Ceramic Pans (Dark Red, 28cm)
JML Ceracraft Ceramic Pans (Dark Red, 28cm)
Offered by CostMad-UK

1.0 out of 5 stars Great, if you only ever use it once, 30 Oct 2014
Bought a more expensive pan as I thought it would save money in the long run. No. Was fine the first couple of times, but then the 'non-stick' just stopped being non-stick. It chipped and scratched from using plastic utensils and the second wash (just hot water and washing up liquid) rendered it useless. It was like the non-stick just washed away. WATER could stick in this pan now. I can't afford to replace it right now so I'm stuck using it. I'm having to use massive amounts of oil and I can't even get the burnt marks off with wire wool and ajax.
So annoying to be charged £30 for a frying pan that is inferior to a £5 one from any supermarket. These should be taken off the market as far as I'm concerned because their infomercials are false advertising and some of us can't afford to be ripped off like this.

Culinare White MagiCan Can Opener
Culinare White MagiCan Can Opener

2.0 out of 5 stars Magican Can Opener, 21 April 2014
It does the job for the most part, but I wouldn't say it does it well.
Most can openers open the top of the can, ie, the circle bit that's inside the metal 'lip' of the can. This just takes the entire top off, lip and all. It's effective, (on standard cans only) but taking the top off means:
1. The can will begin to empty it's contents all over the kitchen counter.
2. You can't drain anything, such as tuna fish.
3. You always get a sliver of the can's label in your food.
4. You can't upcycle the can afterwards, if you're into that kind of thing.
All in all, it was a little pricey for just a can opener and I wish I'd bought something else.

Buster Soft Cube, Large, Red
Buster Soft Cube, Large, Red

5.0 out of 5 stars Buster Soft Cube, 14 April 2014
I got this because my bullmastiff puppy eats like a pig and I was hoping this would slow his meal times down. It does, it takes him about 15-20 minutes to empty the cube when it's full, and he gets some mental stimulation at the same time. Not sure he actually ENJOYS the process, he sometimes gets angry and throws the cube around or tries to bite into it, but generally he seems happy enough to bat it around the floor if I only use it for one of his meals a day.
As others have already mentioned, this version of the cube is not adjustable, nor does it come apart to clean.

Pack of 12 Clear 20w G4 12v Halogen Capsule Bulbs / Lamps ~ 2000hrs ~ by electrosmart®
Offered by electrosmart

5.0 out of 5 stars Halogen Bulbs, 5 Mar 2014
Bought these for my under-cabinet lighting in my kitchen. Exactly what I needed, very pleased, and would recommend to anyone!

V/H/S [Blu-ray]
V/H/S [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Lane Hughes

2.0 out of 5 stars V/H/S, 5 Mar 2014
This review is from: V/H/S [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Well this was just weird. Half of it is about teenage boys wanting to get laid, the other half is people getting killed. You never know what's going on or why, there's no story, just a series of scenes, and you never care about any of the characters. No one seems to behave in a believable way and I think it is the only 'found footage' movie I have seen that added a couple of bits of atmospheric 'jumpy' music. And that just doesn't work.
It genuinely watches like something four or five students did for college.

Tala Three Tier Non-stick Cake Cooling Rack
Tala Three Tier Non-stick Cake Cooling Rack

4.0 out of 5 stars Three-Tier Cooling Racks, 22 Feb 2014
Overall, very good non-stick cooling racks. My only criticism (and it's only a small thing) is that you can't 'lock' the legs open. So if you need, for some reason, to move one whilst there are things on it it can be a little difficult. Also, it's hard to put the rack down if you do that thing where you put the rack on top of the baking tin and flip them over to get the contents out.
There are ways round it though, and I do use these all the time. Happy with my purchase.

Nylabone Puppy Bone Wolf
Nylabone Puppy Bone Wolf

5.0 out of 5 stars Puppy Nylabone, 22 Feb 2014
This review is from: Nylabone Puppy Bone Wolf (Misc.)
My Bullmastiff puppy loves these, and chews on them like there's no tomorrow (I can hear him chewing on one right now). They don't last him very long, about a fortnight, but he is a very determined chewer and a very big puppy. I would guess they would last a couple of months in the jaws of an 'average' puppy, ie. one not hell-bent on destroying everything in sight.
The bones are a good size, small enough for a puppy to carry around, but large enough to not be a choking hazard.

Aveeno Body Lotion Shea Butter 300 ml
Aveeno Body Lotion Shea Butter 300 ml

5.0 out of 5 stars My HG Lotion, 2 Feb 2014
I have dermatitis on my face and (although I know this is a body lotion) this is the only thing that helps it. Without this product I could never wear make-up and my face would constantly be red, itchy and flaky. I don't know what Aveeno are doing that no one else seems to be able to do in their lotions, but nothing else has even come close to being as effective as this. I wear it everyday and have done for a couple of years. If you have any kind of dry skin complaint, I'd definitely try this before anything else. Also, the bottle is so big, this actually works out really cheap. I <3 Aveeno.

Lenovo Ideapad Z500 15.6-inch Laptop (Dark Chocolate) - (Intel Core i5 3210M 2.5GHz Processor, 6GB RAM, 1TB HDD, DVDRW, LAN, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Nvidia Graphics, Windows 8)

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the money, 23 Sep 2013
Bought to replace my old Acer which finally gave up the ghost.

Pros:
Great price
Decent size screen
Light-weight
Option to back-light the keyboard which is great for using in the dark
Fast for everything I've used it for so far (not tried gaming on it yet)

Cons:
Issue with Windows updates failing (fixable)
Issue with 'stuck' screen brightness (fixable)
Buttons are part of the touch-pad, they're not separate, so you'll find the cursor moves every time you click. Gets annoying

All in all, well worth what I paid for it.

Morphy Richards 70495 2 in 1 Steam Mop with Detachable Handheld Steam Cleaner
Morphy Richards 70495 2 in 1 Steam Mop with Detachable Handheld Steam Cleaner

2.0 out of 5 stars 2 in 1 Steam Cleaner, 23 July 2013
I bought this to clean the kitchen and bathroom when I moved into my new house. I was annoyed right away to find that 1. I couldn't use it on ANY of the hard floors in my house (because they aren't sealed) and 2. you can't use it with regular tap water (it seems to me that if you're going to have to go out and buy 'special water' you might as well buy kitchen cleaner instead. But anyway...)

I wanted the machine (mainly) as a hand-held cleaner, but at 25 inches long and only 5 inches wide, it is incredibly hard to maneuver. It isn't balanced very well either and trying to get it into the right position for just about anything is a challenge. (Don't even think about buying this to steam clothes).

The trigger seems to have little to do with the actual steam produced; you press it, nothing happens for 20 seconds (except for a loud noise), you stop pressing it, the machine steams louder than it did before for another 30 seconds.

I would debate that this machine actually produces steam at all, rather a fine mist of hot water. It leaves everything it touches soaking wet, and, as far as I'm concerned, not any cleaner. It left my mirrors and shower doors looking like they had been left out in the rain, and didn't even shift a couple of grease spots on my hob. (It occured to me later that if hot water alone removed grease, we wouldn't buy dishwasher detergent, so I'm not quite sure why they advertise these as kitchen cleaners).

Changing attachments is downright dangerous as they empty hot water all over your hand when you take them off, unless you leave the machine to go cold for 20 minutes each time.

The only thing I liked about this machine is how it bought the pile up in my carpets, but as another reviewer said, the cloth will barely do one carpet once before it falls apart.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3