Profile for Sherlock > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Gilbert Precision 450 Kicking tee
Gilbert Precision 450 Kicking tee

2.0 out of 5 stars It's not blue..., 22 Nov. 2015
I deliberately ordered this 'blue' tee as I wanted to be able to marker-pen it with my son's name (they are always 'going missing'). Beware however, it's actually black :-(

Prince of Fools (Red Queen's War, Book 1)
Prince of Fools (Red Queen's War, Book 1)
by Mark Lawrence

5.0 out of 5 stars Flashman comes to the Fantasy world!, 22 Nov. 2015
A rare thing this fantasy book, superbly balancing laugh-out-loud moments with a great fantasy storyline. Am awaiting the (paperback) sequel impatiently. I just hope that the 'Flashman' main character doesn't redeem himself too much and become more mainstream in terms of heroics.

10:04
10:04
by Ben Lerner

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 6 Nov. 2015
This review is from: 10:04 (Paperback)
So, I'm at an age where I have calculated I may have time for somewhere between 200-500 books left to read. So I will give up on a book earlier than some. For this one I lasted to page 70, AND NOTHING HAD HAPPENED of any note. Just relatively random dull observations on a dull-ish life. And the author seems to have used a dictionary/thesaurus to find words in uncommon usage then strung them together into difficult to understand sentences that I occasionally read aloud to see if anyone could help me, e.g. "What you need to do is harness the self-love you are hypostasizing as offspring, as the next generation of you, and let it branch out horizontally into the impossibility of a transpersonal revolutionary subject in the present and co-construct a world in which moments can be something other than the elements of profit." If that's your thing, knock yourself out! 2 stars to be generous as I didn't finish it.

Blender and Juicer Recipes: The Best Smoothies and Juices Ever!
Blender and Juicer Recipes: The Best Smoothies and Juices Ever!
by Kevin Kerr

1.0 out of 5 stars Obscure, 22 Jun. 2015
This is thin-ish, large font and £4.99 - when you think of the effort a novelist puts in to sell a book for not much more you'd expect the recipes to be amazing... well I wouldn't really know. I pride myself on being a bit of a cook etc. etc. but nearly every recipe had an ingredient I've never heard of and my local Tesco was no different. Now if you live in some cosmopolitan inner-city foodie paradise then maybe you can find suppliers - "phytoplankton anyone?"

Half a King (Shattered Sea, Book 1)
Half a King (Shattered Sea, Book 1)
by Joe Abercrombie

5.0 out of 5 stars Cover to cover almost non-stop, 6 April 2015
I read this one cover to cover almost without being able to put it down. I've read quite a few of Joe A's books and they generally score about 4/5 for me. This one is s definite 5; he is just behind Patrick Rothfuss (who is second-to-none in my book) for writing fantasy books.

Philips GC4912/80 PerfectCare Azur Iron - One Perfect Temperature, T-IonicGlide Soleplate and 180g Steam Boost
Offered by Allgoods Direct

2.0 out of 5 stars Not quite right..., 5 April 2015
So, this may be a good compromise if you're the kind of person who frequently burns clothes when ironing, however if you are reasonable at ironing and like to quickly do shirts and reliably, I'd say this isn't the one for you. The iron particularly struggles with 100% easier-to-iron type shirts. My guess is that the iron 'thinks' they are nylon-types and it isn't hot enough. Sometimes it takes 5 minutes to do a 1-minute shirt, even with max steam... I've only had this iron 6 months now but I'll be getting an iron I can control the heat on pretty soon.

BLACK SPEAKER DOCK FOR IPAD, IPOD & IPHONE, + REMOTE CONTROL
BLACK SPEAKER DOCK FOR IPAD, IPOD & IPHONE, + REMOTE CONTROL

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good product. Bought as a moving in present for ..., 15 Aug. 2014
Very good product. Bought as a moving in present for a friend who were more than pleased with it. It did arrive with French instructions but once I had brought this to the attention of the company they quickly sent me an English version. So overall very pleased.

1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus (Vintage)
1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus (Vintage)
by Charles C. Mann

4.0 out of 5 stars Changed my view on the Americas..., 3 Feb. 2014
This book really challenged my (relatively limited) knowledge regarding the Americas pre-1492... I find it slightly astonishing this should be so - thie idea that there were large towns, dense-ish populations, widespread land management in North America was a revelation. I had imagined an 'empty country' just waiting to be 'put to good use', perhaps this is the 'propaganda' we have been drip-fed by Hollywood et al.

Space Captain Smith
Space Captain Smith
by Toby Frost

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny light reading, 3 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Space Captain Smith (Paperback)
This book made me laugh loud loud on occasion (a rare thing!). An unusual plot and not 'normal' Sci Fi fare but enjoyable nonetheless.

Magimix 18328 3200 Food Processor in Satin
Magimix 18328 3200 Food Processor in Satin

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed..., 1 Feb. 2014
I bought this based on the many positive reviews and I wanted the best for my small kitchen (= priciest for size). I've had it a couple of weeks and it has been poor so far for 3 reasons:
- no variation in speed - I knew this from the reviews, but didn't realise the only speed was actually quite slow; no 'blitzing', in order to make a date shake I had to process for minutes and even then lumps of date were visible
- when making the shake in the smallest container (using < 1/2 pint milk) stuff went into all the bowls
- ingredients/mix gets up inside the blade spindle and it is IMPOSSIBLE to clean out e.g. if it's a sticky batter
For the price paid ~£200, this is poor...

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5