Profile for Mr. K. Fairholm > Reviews

Offered by Digitalville UK
Price: 17.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Great game if only the had gone full colour, 19 Jan 2010
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: The Saboteur (PS3) (Video Game)
Well for those that dont know, The Saboteurs play style if very similar to GTA, I have had this game for around a week and am enjoying it, it has a good story like, the controls are good and killing Natzi's is always fun, however the game designers tried to give the game character but setting most the scene in black and white with few colours, kind of like a Sin City feel, however it dont work and reduces the playability.

Eventually as you progress through the game you do unlock colour into various areas of the maps, when you are driving round you cross between the Black and White areas of the map and the parts which are in full colour, only I feel this game would be loads better if the entire game and all areas of the map where in full colour from the very beginning, whenever you are in a dark area you just wish more and more as the games go on that they had not done it this way.

When you are in a dark area of the map, you often miss things as graphically it is not all clear, like for example you miss a turn on the road or did not see that there is ammo you can blow up next to a target you are trying to destroy, the more you play the game the more frustrating this feature becomes, where as when the colours are finally unlocked these things become much more clear, however you will find that you are forced to complete many missions and drive in many areas which are dark.

The dark areas is the only beef I have with this game, which is really annoying because they took a really good game and screwed it up by trying to add and edgy feel with this colour scheme, maybe they thought it would add character with it been based in the 1940's relating to Black and White televisions, but they where wrong, they should not of effected the gameplay with something as simple as not been able to see a turn in the road properly when full colour would of easily counted this problem.

What I would of described as a 5 star game, I reject to 3 stars, I feel this would of been a game I would of liked to complete to the end, except after a week of playing the dark graphics issue have bugged me so much that I cont see myself continuing for much longer.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 16, 2010 3:27 PM BST

Starship Troopers 3 - Marauder [Blu-ray] [2008] [Region Free]
Starship Troopers 3 - Marauder [Blu-ray] [2008] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Casper Van Dien
Price: 6.35

4.0 out of 5 stars Tested Blu Ray with this Movie, 22 Nov 2008
Right where to start, I have recently upgraded my home entertainment system, with a new TV and PS3 to go, so obviously I wanted to try out Blu-Ray, this was the First blu-ray movie I ever saw, and Im so glad a picked this movie to test Blu-Ray with, because I don't think I would of picked it for any other reason, because it has some really good special effect's and demonstrated the BR standard very well IMO.

Anyway about the film, I loved it for all the wrong reasons, this is one hell of a cheesy sci-fi flick that does not even to attempt to disguise itself as something more, but as it is it makes for one hell of a good laugh to watch, Im sure if you wanted more you would hate this film, but if you ever wanted to sit and have a laugh with yea mates and watch something in Blu-Ray quality that you are not looking to take to seriously then this is the film for you.

I swear this film has made me rethink how I'm going to build up my Blu-Ray collection, I'm seriously considering only collecting a really unique cheesy Sci-Fi, Fantasy B-Moive collection on Blu-Ray, although in hine site I would not of brought just number 3 I would of brought the entire Trilogy.

Unreal Tournament 3 (PS3)
Unreal Tournament 3 (PS3)
Offered by SweetBuzzards
Price: 8.00

3.0 out of 5 stars NOT Impressed, 3 Mar 2008
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
I recently purchased this game for PS3 and it seriously has failed to impress me, although it's the first Unreal Tournament game I have ever played although I am a big fan of FPS games such as "Ghost Recon", Battlefield 2 and 2142 (on PC), and call of duties but in comparison this game lacks so much, in warfare mode where you get to use vehicles the control of vehicles in such a let down, from hover boards to tanks, they are all so sluggish to handle there hardly worth using, there is a sniper rife again no point of it what so ever the moment you pick it up and start to scope in on an emery the game play is so fast and seriously lacks any type of stealth so someone will always shoot you down within seconds of standing still to try to sniper (lol what's the point of a sniper rife with no stealth or good places to hide), its just a so repetitive also running back an forth trying to follow the instructions like "get the orb" or "take the orb to the node", its just stupid you go to get the orb chances are someone as beat you to it, so then the orbs in place and you try to go and take down there power core then by the time your there your having to run back again to get the orb because your enemy has just reclaimed the point where to need to capture to start taking down the power core, so your constantly just back and forth trying to accomplish a repetitive task, why could they not just set it up like battlefield where you capture check points I don't know it would have been 10x better.

As soon as I get the chance im taking this game back to trade in for Lost Planet which I which after playing the online demo I wish I had just purchased in the first place, even just the demo for LP on the PSN is better than this full game.

SIXAXIS Wireless Controller (PS3)
SIXAXIS Wireless Controller (PS3)

3.0 out of 5 stars No substitute will do, 23 Dec 2007
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
Design wise Sony have all ways had it spot on, can you remember the first time you held the original PS1 official Sony joypad and thought this is the most comfortable and convenient joypad that you have ever had in your hand, and still today Sony are right not to alter the original shape and design through the PS2 and now the PS3 they are still the same perfect shape that cannot be improved, nothing less will do, so the only option ever is to only ever buy the official Sony pad for this reason alone whatever.

Was nice of Sony to make some improvements, I like the new PS button that allows you to turn the console on and off or quit games etc (fantastic idea), I also like the new analogue triggers replacing the R2 and L2 buttons and I like it been wireless and rechargeable through the console.

The Tilt feature is not a bad thing although up to now it's a little gimmicky, I've tried playing Motorstorm with it only but could not get the hang of it personally, but no harm in having it still you don't have to use it if you don't want, think it could work well maybe in some future cases, think if they where to release a motorbike racing game for example where you could still use the D Pad or Analogue controller to turn the bike but then use the tilt feature to lean the driver side to side would be cool but have 8 games in total at the moment, 4 of which are racing games, and still none of my games use this feature to any decent standard.

Don't like not having a rumble feature besides this one upset, the official Sony pad is prefect for its generation once again. It's the lack of this feature alone that as stopped me for giving it 5 stars, maybe this will be a future release I personally hope so, although this will force me to spend more money which was probably Sony's plan all along but even, if so just hurry up and get it over with you can have your extra money just give me a pad with this feature and hurry.

HDMI Cable (PS3)
HDMI Cable (PS3)
Offered by MHP Distribution
Price: 2.99

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT worth 20, 23 Dec 2007
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: HDMI Cable (PS3) (Video Game)
Don't be fooled into thinking that you need a special type of HDMI cable for a PS3 when any HDMI cable will do, paying 20 for one is a joke, I bought a premium quality one with gold-plated connectors for 7 including P&P from shop on ebay that works perfectly on all resolutions.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 17, 2009 8:33 PM BST

A Clockwork Orange [DVD] [1971]
A Clockwork Orange [DVD] [1971]
Dvd ~ Malcolm McDowell
Price: 3.85

1.0 out of 5 stars PURE GARBAGE, 6 Nov 2007
Saw this film for the first time the other day, obviously had heard of it, believe what you hear and read then you would think this would be a quality film to earn its status up there in classic British film history, but if you ask me I will give you my honest opinion and tell you this film is just pure garbage, very strange film no storyline whatsoever and entrainment value in my eyes was 0%, what a waste of a couple of hours plus this film is, so go ahead see for yourself.
Comment Comments (11) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 6, 2014 12:20 PM BST

The 4400 - Series 3 - Complete [DVD]
The 4400 - Series 3 - Complete [DVD]
Dvd ~ Joel Gretsch
Price: 11.02

5.0 out of 5 stars Just keeps getting better, 31 July 2007
4400 is one of the best if not the best TV series I have ever been into, back in season 1 I thought it was ok and worth a watch with a few good stand alone episodes, season 2 is where it really started to come alive and the program was given a serious direction in where the main storyline was heading also the main characters started to gain depth and develop. Season 2 impressed me but Season 3 is simply outstanding this to me is not probably but the best TV show around.

There are a few good twists and turns in this season however the main storyline involving, "why the 44 hundreds where taken and sent back to change the future and how they are to accomplish the mission forced upon them", opens up more clues and questions as the series continues to grow.

Again like other season's there good stand alone episodes that can be enjoyed but cleverly still help piece together a bigger picture, and full credit to all the production team and actors for keeping all the main characters coming back, again one has left the show or been killed off before there characters potential is fully achieved unlike many other shows by this point in a TV shows life line.

One of the things that makes this show so great is the fact it has direction you can see where its going or at least the options available, any sub stories are completed fully usually at the end of each episode and each episode usually also contributes another angle or piece of understanding to the main storyline without loosing you on the way.

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition (Upgrade) (PC)
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition (Upgrade) (PC)

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible OS, 26 July 2007
I recently purchased a new laptop running Vista so I figured I would give it a try to see what I thought, it lasted about 2 hours before I deleted my partition and formatted and installed XP Pro, unlike some people I rate Microsoft they make best office software on the market and Operating Systems with out a shadow of a doubt, there web browser rips all others apart so its not like they don't make good software but I cant find words to describe how pathetic Vista is, for one I cant stand the transitions used when browsing through different windows, all I see is a waste of graphics and processing power to do something I want completed in a instant instead of having to watch a stupid transition and wait, I cant stand the control panel, I hate the way it wants to organise everything for me, in fact there is nothing about this OS I like, its well over visualised which is a complete waste of memory and power and to me it just looks tacky and is unnecessary, now I love my new laptop it runs so much better on XP than Vista.

Some my feel that 2 hours was not giving Vista a fair chance to impress me but I wasn't willing to waste any more time on this garbage I wanted to use my new laptop the way I wanted to use it and besides me and computers go way back I've been working and educated in the industry for the last 9 years, have a degree in "business and computing for science" work in networking so deal with O/S's like windows exchange server 2000 / 2003 on a daily basis and have an extensive knowledge of many OS's that reaches back to windows 95. I can honestly say Vista is the worse home user OS I have ever seen, stick to XP, vista is just Microsoft cashing in on the home user market and is so restrictive I for one am boycotting using it ever, I would use Linux before using Vista, I wouldn't recommend Vista to anyone

Battlestar Galactica - The Mini Series [2003] [DVD] [2004]
Battlestar Galactica - The Mini Series [2003] [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Edward James Olmos
Price: 4.00

5.0 out of 5 stars The Start of Something Special, 12 July 2007
This is a must see for all Sci-Fi fans, like so may others when I was a child I used to like watching the original series, but the great thing about this show, not just this mini series which you could class as the pilot but the whole re-release of the series, is that this show grew up with me its gone from the soft Good Guy's bad Cylon's but no real violence all just pretend style that entertained me in my pre / early teens, to really gritty, deep "here we are facing Armageddon" lets kick some ass style with modern special effects that I enjoy now as an adult.

It's great that cyclones have evolved from a lets scare the kids tin man to a deadly we are here to destroy all humanity terminator its just a beautiful touch in what is right up there with DS9 and SG1 in the class of the greatest Sci-Fi series of all time.

As far as this first pilot episode goes or pilot mini series if you want to call it, it has its fair share of action to warm you up to watch the series, to start out for the first half you have to sit through getting to know the characters which is key to understanding the series in order to gain full enjoyment of what is to come, but then before the end you are treated to one of the best outer space battle cruiser wars you will ever see as the war with the cyclones hits with full force and no remorse.

I think you will know at the end of this pilot if you are going to enjoy the program so it has to be worth checking out for that reason because if you like what you see then the best is still to come.

Blood Diamond [DVD] [2007]
Blood Diamond [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Leonardo DiCaprio
Offered by DVDBayFBA
Price: 2.73

5.0 out of 5 stars CLASSIC, 12 July 2007
This review is from: Blood Diamond [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
Blood Diamond is a film that everyone should watch and most people will really enjoy, this film is yet another classic staring Leonardo DiCaprio who by now has surly distinguished him self as Hollywood's best current actor, some here comment on the accent he works with during the film, but that's only because its not the usual voice everyone is used to hearing him speak but it is how people speak from some areas of Africa where his character is from, so once again DiCaprio delivers a premium performance like so many of his films before including The Departed released again earlier this year. While on the subject of actors is also fair to point out that Djimon Hounsou is also first class in this film again after Gladiator and this defiantly one of Hollywood's finest

This film hits on some very real issues regarding power struggles, violence and ethnic cleansing throughout certain regions of Africa and shows how ignorance in our society helps fund such actions.

On top of the social message this is a great film to watch, very well thought out fantastic storyline original in its settings, gritty realism and entertaining throughout.

If you don't watch another film all year watch this, I reviewed The Departed earlier this year, saying that was the best film of the year so far, but now this is the best by far, I will be very surprised if a better film is released this year, this film is 5 stars through and through without question how anyone could even consider giving it less credit is questionable.

Some reviews are even deducting stars for some sub plots that they feel reduces the realism, such as the relationship between DiCaprio and a western journalist, in my opinion these sub plots help widen the target ordinance which is good because it helps spread the message to a larger number of people and the realism is still there.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3