Profile for Harehound > Reviews

Content by Harehound

Harehound

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Broken prior to delivery!, 11 Sept. 2013
Delivered swiftly - well ahead of ETA. Unpacked - looked good BUT one of the clasps had been broken off. There was no sign of the broken piece in the packaging so it must have happened before shipping. This is very poor quality control. I have asked for a replacement, but am running out of time. If Karamar respond quickly and provide a replacement in a couple of days I will be pleased to change this review, however at present this product is unusable and I would strongly recommend you NOT TO BUY.

The Wilderness
The Wilderness
by Samantha Harvey

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent idea, well executed, 25 Aug. 2011
This review is from: The Wilderness (Paperback)
The story of Jake's descent into the oblivion of this disease is incredibly well researched and sensitively portrayed. I found the flashback chapters necessary to an understanding of the whole, but not nearly as convincing as the 'real time' chapters. Such was the power of the writing that I could feel my own world closing in around me just as Jake's does.
There were just one or two bits that I found distracting. His relationship with his mother, coupled with his intention to set up some form of Zionist group detracted from the main thrust of the book - but could be lightly read without ruining the experience.
This debut novel shows the enormous potential of the author and I await her next offering with eager anticipation. Perhaps I was just a little mean in only giving the book 4 stars.

Mr Chartwell
Mr Chartwell
by Rebecca Hunt

4.0 out of 5 stars Great idea, but not quite realized, 17 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Mr Chartwell (Paperback)
I was really looking forward to reading this book. The idea of materializing Churchill's 'Black Dog' into a real animal is original and seemed to have enormous potential. The protagonist, Esther, is well drawn and thoroughly believable (once you accept the central conceit) however I am not sure that making Black Pat quite so disgusting helped the plot, although his drinking G&T out of a watering can was a moment of delight.

It was the reality surrounding the Churchill character that I had real trouble with. Every time we were fed a bit of information about him, his room, his possessions, or his wife it was as if the author had just looked it up in a biography of the man and included it to give credibility to the character. There were some excruciatingly unreal exchanges between 'Mr Pug' and 'Mrs Pussycat'. I can see the problem. The wit was in using the Black Dog of depression and in order to do that it was necessary to write about Churchill - it was however supremely unconvincing and spoiled an otherwise good first novel.

As a debut novelist Rebecca Hunt has shown herself to possess an original mind and a keen grasp of portraying fictional characters (Corkbowl and Beth were well done). As long as her next book is fiction, and not a biography, I will look forward to reading it

A Kind of Intimacy
A Kind of Intimacy
by Jenn Ashworth

1.0 out of 5 stars Not very funny; rather tedious, 17 Aug. 2011
This review is from: A Kind of Intimacy (Paperback)
I had looked forward to reading this much-hyped debut novel. The 'plot' sounded promising - a young overweight woman fantasizing about relationships that in the 'real world' just did not exist. It was also billed as humorous , intense and intriguing. Clearly from the reviews most readers have found it just so, which leaves me in a disappointed minority.

The central character, Annie, is not supposed to be liked, and probably not empathized with, but I failed to connect with her at all except to feel slightly embarrassed to be trotting around behind her feeling what a stupid person she was. Indeed she was not the only character that I failed to engage with, her husband, childhood lover, and fantasy boyfriend lacked any credibility, even the cat was so loosely drawn that I had (and still have) no idea if the body that was buried was really Mr Tips.

The book nearly lost me as a reader in its first page (should have gone to Waterstones, then I would have read that and put the novel back on the shelf!). I can see no artistic, literary, or dramatic reason why the protagonist should remove all her clothes to kick a sofa. If you want to knock seven bells out of a sofa then it is considerably more effective, and less painful, to leave most of your clothes on. I suppose it provided an excuse for Annie to describe herself 'My thighs wobbled, dimpled with fat, and puckered with stretch marks, and I saw myself kick again hopping from one foot to the other, breasts bouncing, arms shaking, getting out of breath.' Is this the stuff of literary fiction these days?

This is the second novel promoted as a 'literary' book that I have found myself skipping over paragraphs in headlong pursuit of the final page (the other was The Finkler Question - so Jenn Ashworth is in fine company!). It was, sad to say, a tedious read and that which appears to pass for humour was such that I could only squirm at it.

Tiptel 332 CLIP Digital 50 Minutes Answering Machine Dark Blue
Tiptel 332 CLIP Digital 50 Minutes Answering Machine Dark Blue

1.0 out of 5 stars Buy Something (Anything!?) Else!, 16 Aug. 2011
This is the most difficult to use machine that we have ever encountered, It is fiddly, non-intuitive and poorly laid out. the final straw is that following power cuts (frequent in our part of the country) it defaults to German.

Only for extreme masochists!