Profile for A. J. Parrott > Reviews

A. J. Parrott (UK)

Strangers In The Night
Strangers In The Night

5.0 out of 5 stars Rock n Roll, 29 Nov 2008
This review is from: Strangers In The Night (Audio CD)
So many memories, MS in his prime, classic UFO with powerful versions of Rock Bottom, Lights Out, Doctor Doctor.
Saw them live back in the day, this album brings it back.

Roadshow: Landscape with Drums - A Concert Tour by Motorcycle
Roadshow: Landscape with Drums - A Concert Tour by Motorcycle
by Neil Peart

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book, 29 Nov 2008
If you like Rush, love riding motorbikes (even BMW's!) you will enjoy this book. It follows NP and Rush as they prepare for and tour North America and Europe in 2004, the R30 tour, celebrating 30 years of Rush music.
NP is a very quite, private person, but his lyrics have inspired Rush fans for three decades. In this book we again get glimpses of the man behind the drums.
His writing style is fluid and easy, which for me makes the book a joy to read.
It is fascinating to read about the effort, physical and mental that goes into preparing for a massive world tour and how NP copes with the pressures of the road and his own demons.
Riding his BMW GS with his friend is the release valve.
As a Brit I was disappointed to read that NP thought the London gigs were a little flat with regard to the audience. Neil, I was there on the first night at Wembley and everyone around me was jumping up and down singing like teenagers, me included :) From my point of view it was a great gig.
The next interesting bit, for me at any rate, was the trips around Europe NP took on his BM. I was an odd experience reading about his experiences on the same mountain roads I have ridden, I smiled as I recognised similar experiences.

Buy this book and I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Traveling Music: The Soundtrack to My Life and Times
Traveling Music: The Soundtrack to My Life and Times
by Neil Peart

5.0 out of 5 stars An interesting read, 29 Nov 2008
I've been a fan of Rush since my early teens (too many years ago!)
This was a great read, I do enjoy Peart's lyrical style with not too many Americanisms. His enthusiasm for the flora and fauna of the states he visits adds to the experience along with a dram of a single malt McCallan at the end of the day.
We get an insight into the man, many regard as one of the Worlds finest drummers. From small town Canada as a boy, living in London as a teenager and a glimpse of the family tradgedies of the late nineties. All dealt with a deep humility and a dose of humour.
For the fan it also gives an insight in the inspirations behind the lyrics of the Snakes and Arrows album.

Towards the Light: The Story of the Struggles for Liberty and Rights That Made the Modern West
by A. C. Grayling

4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting read, 29 Nov 2008
I quite enjoyed this outing from Prof. Grayling.
It is a brief overwiew of the struggles for freedom and liberty over the past 500 years, for a non-specialist, it is an easy read. Not dry at all in my opinion.
I have to agree with his conclusions about the state of British and US democracy since 2001.
Our freedoms and liberties were hard won and we have to be eternally vigilant against their erosion by an over-powerful centralist state.