Profile for Harmony K. > Reviews

Dead Reckoning: A True Blood Novel
by Charlaine Harris
Edition: Audio CD

4.0 out of 5 stars still going great, 16 Jun 2011
This is the 11th installment in the Southern Vampire series (12th, if you also count the short story collection A Touch of Dead). I love this series. It's funny, it has lots of action, the vampires don't shine in the sunlight, and when it comes to sex they don't agonize for 1000 pages thinking about it. I actually liked Twilight, but this is much more fun if you're a grownup.

Dead Reckoning is not the best book in the series, IMO, but it's still quite enjoyable. The previous book was pretty nasty, what with Sookie getting tortured and Claudine dying. (Spoiler alert ... this book doesn't do that sort of thing, thankfully. There's plenty of violence, but nothing to ruin your day.)

Johanna Parker does a fantastic job reading these books.

Packaging: the CDs are on a little spindle, no individual packaging. This saves room on the shelf. It also works well during shipping. I bought several of these books over the years, all packaged the same way, and they've all made it safely over the Atlantic, no scratched disks.

Africa Express / Safari Express - 2-DVD Set ( Tropical Express )
Africa Express / Safari Express - 2-DVD Set ( Tropical Express )
Dvd ~ Giuliano Gemma
Offered by dvd-uncut
Price: 12.99

3.0 out of 5 stars languages???, 3 April 2011
I watched these movies in the theaters 30 years ago and loved them.

Based on the description, it looks like you can only use both movies if you speak German. It makes no sense to sell them at Amazon UK. Does anybody know if there are English subtitles please?

Flight Of The Living Dead - Outbreak On A Plane [DVD]
Flight Of The Living Dead - Outbreak On A Plane [DVD]
Dvd ~ David Chisum
Price: 4.91

4.0 out of 5 stars funny, 22 Feb 2011
I liked this movie. Lots of laughs, lots of zombie action. It starts a bit slow, but then it gets really good. I was watching Being Human, and then I got too bored and popped in this disk instead. It was a major improvement.

Warehouse 13 - Season 1 [DVD]
Warehouse 13 - Season 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Eddie McClintock
Price: 10.00

2.0 out of 5 stars boring, 3 Feb 2011
It started pretty well, but I did fall asleep eventually. Also, it has no English subtitles or closed captioning. I will not buy the second season.

Jacques Cousteau - The Ultimate Collection [DVD] [2007]
Jacques Cousteau - The Ultimate Collection [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Ultimate Jacques Cousteau Collection
Offered by Gifts..For..You
Price: 69.99

3.0 out of 5 stars interesting, but not up to modern standards, 2 Dec 2010
I've just received my package and watched the first disk (out of 21). Here are my impressions from this disk so far:

Audio languages: English only.

There are parts where the scientists speak French to each other and I have no clue what they're saying. Those parts are not translated in any form (audio or written), and they have terrible audio quality too. Luckily, these parts are short.

Subtitles - none. Not even closed captioning for the deaf. Luckily, the narrator is good, no mumbling.

Video quality: usually acceptable, occasionally bad. Grainy video, some artifacts at the edges. I guess that was to be expected from recordings made decades ago.

Extras - none. (But maybe they put them all on disc 21, I don't know yet...)

Mind you, I haven't checked the other 20 disks yet. Maybe things will improve later. I hope so.

I don't regret my purchase. I used to watch this show in black and white when I was a child, after all. I'm just sorry that the producers cut so many corners. Cousteau deserved better.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 23, 2013 3:29 PM GMT

Merlin - Complete Series 1 Box Set [DVD]
Merlin - Complete Series 1 Box Set [DVD]
Dvd ~ Colin Morgan
Offered by themediamerchants
Price: 11.39

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 30 Nov 2010
I bought this item just because I'm a huge fan of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and I saw Anthony Stewart Head was playing in it. I didn't really expect much, to be honest.

Guess what, I loved this show too. It's pretty much the same recipe, mind you. Cute teenager with superpowers, protecting people, working hard to keep people from finding out, a cool new monster every week, excellent jokes. I hope this show gets as far as season 6 at least, and I also hope it doesn't get dark and sad by that time like Buffy did.

If you like this show you should definitely try Buffy, Angel and Supernatural as well.

Caroline In The City - The Complete Series [DVD]
Caroline In The City - The Complete Series [DVD]
Dvd ~ Lea Thompson
Offered by Revelation Films Direct
Price: 15.99

3.0 out of 5 stars no subtitles, no closed captioning, 29 Oct 2010
If you're hard of hearing, or English is not your first language, you'll have a bit of trouble using this product.

Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Sixth Season [2001] [DVD]
Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - The Sixth Season [2001] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Melissa Joan Hart
Offered by skyvo-direct
Price: 16.32

4.0 out of 5 stars pretty good, 18 Sep 2010
Less funny than the preceding seasons, but still better than season 7. Also, some talented actors have been replaced with less talented ones. Still, the series remains good. Salem in particular is still hilarious.

Starship Troopers 1-3 [DVD] [2008]
Starship Troopers 1-3 [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Casper Van Dien

4.0 out of 5 stars enjoyable, 18 Sep 2010
I'd say 5 stars for the first movie and 4 stars for the other two.

These movies don't really do justice to Heinlein's masterpiece. For example they just couldn't afford to pay for both great armor and great weapons, so the weapons are often pathetic. Also, the directors didn't like Heinlein's libertarian ideas so they took them out.

Warning for parents - gratuitous nudity.

You should also try the Starship Troopers Chronicles (Roughnecks) series.

Adieu Bzn [DVD AUDIO]
Adieu Bzn [DVD AUDIO]
Price: 19.01

5.0 out of 5 stars strictly for the fans, 18 Sep 2010
This review is from: Adieu Bzn [DVD AUDIO] (DVD Audio)
Let's face it, if you're a teenager these days and you enjoy the likes of Lady GaGa, this DVD is not for you. You will not enjoy watching a bunch of 50-year olds just stand there singing. There's not even the smallest hint of oral sex on the stage, no underwear, no drugs, etc. You'll find it totally boring.

However, if you've loved BZN's work since the 80's like me, this concert is a must-have. Great music.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5