Profile for Violet Hunter > Reviews

A Girl Called Jack: 100 delicious budget recipes
by Jack Monroe
Price: 6.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, easy and affordable, 6 Mar 2014
I pre-ordered this book weeks ago and couldn't wait til I got my hands on it - and the wait was worth it. Firstly, it contains recipes for food I actually fancy eating. Secondly, none of the recipes are labour-intensive, and since I have ME/CFS, this is a vitally important consideration. Thirdly, (also vitally important since the DWP cut my sickness benefit to 0.00, with only my NI contributions paid) the recipes are all affordable, with ingredients you don't have to hunt down at specialist shops (I'm sick of recipe books saying "You can find X in your local supermarket" - not in mine you can't!). The ingredients are also interchangeable, so by buying a packet of one item, you can use it in several of the recipes.
I've already made 4 of the recipes and devoured the results. In the next few weeks, I'll be working my way through still more, and enjoying every minute.
The book is colourful, bright and very readable, as well as being practical. Well done all round to the team who produced it. We need more like this!

Argan Anti-Wrinkle Face Cream - Regeneration Anti Wrinkle Cream
Argan Anti-Wrinkle Face Cream - Regeneration Anti Wrinkle Cream
Offered by arganorganics
Price: 24.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Acne-prone, beware!, 28 May 2013
I have recently managed to clear up my acne by using the oil cleansing method. I had heard good things about argan oil and decided to try this. Unfortunately, after a couple of days, I now have massive, red, painful spots again. Searching the web, it seems that I am not alone in having a bad reaction to an argan oil product - the acne-prone should think twice about using this product.

Body Learning: An Introduction to the Alexander Technique
Body Learning: An Introduction to the Alexander Technique
by Michael Gelb
Price: 12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Excellent, 12 Nov 2011
This book is a truly excellent introduction for anyone who wants to find out just what the mysterious Alexander Technique is. It gives a history of Alexander's discoveries and how he developed the technique, and enables someone who has never heard of the AT before to understand how it works (to actually learn it, you need to go to a practitioner). If I had not read this book first, I would have found my first few lessons completely mystifying - it is not something which can be grasped immediately. The Alexander Technique is the only thing I have found which helps me with my chronic stress and anxiety, and my ME/CFS, and it is thanks to this book that I decided to give it a try. Other books on the subject I have found to be a bit wishy-washy and concentrate on the spiritual side of learning this technique; for those who want to simply know what it is, how it was developed and what it can do for you, buy this book.