Profile for P. G. Croft > Reviews

Colour Blind ( Catherine Cookson's Colour Blind ) [DVD]
Colour Blind ( Catherine Cookson's Colour Blind ) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Joe Caffrey

5.0 out of 5 stars Great story of racial pressures, 2 Jan 2014
Not easy to find this DVD--but very pleased with it in all respects. Had i known in advance that this terrific film had been based on a book by Catherine Cookson--( who wrote romantic stuff for women mainly didn't she?) I wouldn't have watched ( the half I did see ) on TV. Well what a mistake that would have been. The cast was superb in every way and well chosen, and the lead actress Carmen Ejogo in Particular. The story on inter-racial tentions in all it's 'blindness' was discomforting--for the right reasons, in places. Reccomended--P G Croft

Twilight of the Trams - Leeds (birthday card)
Twilight of the Trams - Leeds (birthday card)
Offered by RG Collectables
Price: 2.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Another 'little' masterpiece!, 14 Jun 2013
I love illustrative art--used to 'dabble' a bit myself, and wish I had had professional training. Still, at his price, I can savour as many Gems as my album can hold.

Blenheims over Norfolk (greetings card)
Blenheims over Norfolk (greetings card)
Offered by RG Collectables
Price: 2.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Miniature Art, 14 Jun 2013
I would like to buy a full-sized print of this evocative scene, but I do not have the wall space---and therefor will find this miniature version more conveniet to view, from time to time.

Vintage Mantovani: HIS TIPICA ORCHESTRA - CONCERT ORCHESTRA - HOTEL METROPOLE O
Vintage Mantovani: HIS TIPICA ORCHESTRA - CONCERT ORCHESTRA - HOTEL METROPOLE O

4.0 out of 5 stars The 'original' Mantovani Orchestra., 14 Jun 2013
I like this original and authentic1930's sound. Sometimes, hearing a few clicks and pops are acceptable, so long as they don't distract from the performance pleasure. Here, i think it adds to the atmosphere--placing you at some imagined intimate little basement Soho restaurant. But that's me----

Wild Republic 30cm Cuddlekins Panda
Wild Republic 30cm Cuddlekins Panda

4.0 out of 5 stars Oustanding value, 14 Jun 2013
The receiver of this gift was very pleased with it. It was well made, realistic in appearance, and super fluffie.

The Big Bang Theory: Seasons One - Five [DVD] [2012]
The Big Bang Theory: Seasons One - Five [DVD] [2012]
Dvd ~ Johnny Galecki
Offered by MediaMine
Price: 13.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Superior US Comedy, 18 Nov 2012
This won't be a full review, other's more qualified have done an excellent job already. But--as A recent purchaser of the 5 series box set, Amazon have invited me to say what I think. Although I was aware of it ( and the themesong),I was a very latecomer to this series, having discovered it on late night C4 repeats. This is U.S TV comedy at it's very best, consistantly sharp whitty dialogue, beautifully delivered by an excellent and well chosen ensemble of experienced actors. It must be the devil of a job to find an original comedy theme today, that works so well and presents so many facets of human interaction, in such a confined scenario. They have extended this, as all long running series do, ie. adding charactors and using occasional outside filming, to broaden the potential story lines. I cannot finish without mentioning the truly wonderful performance of Jim Parsons, who plays the very original charactor of Sheldon Cooper, because clearly,( all awards totally justified), when the writer's conceived of the idea of a bunch of techno super-nerds, who at the same time have zero social awareness skills, and living in close proximity to each other-they MUST have had 'Sheldon' in mind as the main cornerstone of their creation, and the rest were built around him. In short, I don't think the series could have survived without him, he is too key a charactor, despite the brilliance of the other ingredients. Highly reccomended. P G Croft.

Death Ride from Fenchurch Street and Other Victorian Railway Murders
Death Ride from Fenchurch Street and Other Victorian Railway Murders
by A. V. Sellwood
Price: 11.43

5.0 out of 5 stars A welcome return, 30 July 2012
I hope I'm not being misleading here, but seeing as no one else has yet reviewed this (excellent) book, and I'd like others to enjoy it, I'll explain. I have not purchased or read this issue, but I'm fairly confident that it has the same/similar content as the former publication from 1979--in hardback, because With the title of 'Victorian Railway Murders', by David & Charles, and the same authors, Arthur and Mary Sellwood, I think they are one and the same. Chapter one is titled, 'Death Ride from Fenchurch Street' so I think I'm on safe ground to do a quick review.
There were only four murders aboard our railways by the time of Queen Victoria's death in 1901., and even by then, and despite several attempts by the Rail companies to introduce passenger safety 'alarms' in carriages, due to public anxiety, none of these saved the victims from brutal deaths, or assisted police enquiries much. The narative style, I have not known before, as though you are reading an original victorian newspaper report, with a kind of journalistic and investigative flavour. I was transported ( no pun intended) in time,so good are the discriptions of the charactors. Strangely, your are given the outcome of some of the trials, several pages before the conclusion of the story, and although that is unusual,oddly, I found that a bit of a releif, and was able to relax and enjoy the detective work, and court legal battles that lead-up to trials end. I'm surprised I haven't seen or heard of these unique murders previously, on TV or in film form, because this book would provide excellent material and worthy subject matter. There are only 154 pages in my original book, with very good archive photographs and line illustrations, but it's a-- 'hard to put down' one. I hope this is of some help.

Priceless: Her Very Best
Priceless: Her Very Best
Price: 9.21

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Artist--almost forgotten, 9 Aug 2011
I Have to confess that, because I hadn't heard anything of Elkie Brooks and her music in recent years, either on the radio or television etc. I sort of thought she had quietly retired some time ago. NOT SO. To my delight and surprise, I was gifted two tickets to see/ hear Elkie at the Weston Super Mare Playhouse Theatre, back in March (2011). She had not long restarted her UK tour, after a short Winter break-- (who could blame her? ) and not only did she look absolutely stunning, she was so slim and youthful ( even more so, seeing as she had just cellibrated her 66th birthday) Her voice had lost none of it's power and range--with a wonderful backing by professional session men and women-- this was a most memorable night. NOW--not only did I buy her new CD 'Powerless'at the theatre ( highly reccommended here on Amazon )I also bought 'Her Very Best' cd, which even I, as a fan, had forgotten just how prodigeous a singer she had been, for FIFTY YEARS !--virtually all her hits are here, and, in my opinion, the cover versions of favourites like. 'Nights in White Satin'and 'Going Back' are better than the originals. You won't be disappointed with this marvelous collection--what it does highlight, is the huge gap that has opened up between the great recording artists of the yesteryear, and the modern, here today gone tomorrow--Xfactor wannabe's of today. Oh dear, how long will they last ?

Sports Cars 1928-39 (Cars of the world in colour)
Sports Cars 1928-39 (Cars of the world in colour)
by Timothy Robin Nicholson

5.0 out of 5 stars Dreams of Nostalgia, 9 Aug 2011
I'm afraid this won't be so much a review--as a comment, as I bought the whole range of these books, spread over 10 months, and at last Amazon has prompted me to review them. Well I wont attempt a review as such because they are all of the same high standard. I guess that, like me, you would not be looking at these books if you were not an enthusiast for motoring nostalgia. I can't fault the illustrations in any way, I much prefer these to photographs--I guess it's because the cars look brand new, whereas (assuming each vehicle was available to photograph) they would surely show the many years of wear and tear. --just a personal prefference. As for the text, it is neccessarily brief, but provides all the history and spec you would need and expect in book's of this scale. Due to age, you have to be patient and dogged to find 'good' copies--I did. Obviously, price is as always, reflected in this. As most book collectors will know, try and find copies with their dust jackets in as good a condition as possible, because the excellent illustrations (as shown above ) are not printed on the hard boards. I hope this helps would be buyers--good hunting.

Rodgers and Hammerstein Collection [DVD]
Rodgers and Hammerstein Collection [DVD]
Dvd ~ Gordon MacRae
Offered by Bee-Entertained
Price: 12.28

5.0 out of 5 stars THE Masters., 8 Aug 2011
I'm sorry--this ISN'T a review as such BUT, I just HAVE to say, that these musicals ( especially the filmed versions) will NEVER be equalled, let alone surpassed, in as much that the music/ dance performances, and casting is concerned. Technically, some areas in the films were limited by the restraints of the day. If it were possible to remake them now--in 2011, with the same stars and musical arrangers and coreography etc. They could have been improved--but only that way.BUT as for the music---for me--THE MUSIC stopped when these great men died.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3