Profile for D. Smith > Reviews

Content by D. Smith

D. Smith (Staffordshire, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Joop Homme Wild Eau de Toilette for Men 200 ml
Joop Homme Wild Eau de Toilette for Men 200 ml
Offered by Petite-Boutique

5.0 out of 5 stars Joop Wild, 14 Jan. 2016
I’ve been a fan of the original Joop for ages, Wild is different to the original but it is along the same lines so I’m sure anyone that likes Joop will like this too but I wouldn’t advise buying any aftershave until you’ve sampled it yourself first.

I first came across Joop Wild a couple of years ago when I was having a good look around an aftershave/perfume shop in Tenerife. I literally went round the whole shop testing all the men’s aftershave and Joop Wild was the one that really stood out to me. Not only did it smell amazing and totally unique, but it was one of the least expensive. Also you don’t need to spray much for a quite a strong smell and it doesn’t just last for hours, it lasts for days.

I really regretted not buying a bottle because its very hard to even get close to the Tenerife prices in the UK but I recently finished some old bottles of aftershave and needed to get some more so I got a 200ml bottle here on Amazon for less than £30 which I think is even better than in Tenerife. I mean you can pay that for a tiny 30ml bottle at most places!

TeckNet® DELTECK 2.4G Nano Wireless Gaming Mouse, 500Hz Return Rate, 9 Buttons, 24 Month Battery Life, 2400 DPI 3 Adjustment Levels
Offered by Hippidion.Store

5.0 out of 5 stars TeckNet M288 / 2400 DPI, 8 Oct. 2015
What a brilliant mouse, build quality its excellent, it fits the hand so comfortably and the surface has a really nice feel to it. All the buttons have a good quality click to them and the extra buttons are really useful. It has x2 DPI buttons in front of the scroll wheel (don't use them myself), a ctrl, alt, shift near your thumb and another one just to the left of the left button called the firepower button which can double click in a single click which is really handy.

Yankee Candle Evening Stroll Car Freshener Jar Pack
Yankee Candle Evening Stroll Car Freshener Jar Pack
Offered by Wilson & Bailey ltd

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't last any where near long enough, 6 Oct. 2015
The air fresheners smell very nice, Evening Air is along the lines of mens deodorant with and a touch of floral and a bit of a soapy element. Midsummers Night is sort of the opposite way round to Evening Air, with quite a heavy soapy note (very nice soap) and a touch of mens deodorant. Midnight Jasmine is obviously very floral, a bit soapy with a slight touch of citrus. However, as others have experienced, the smell really dies off after just a few days. One to two weeks later they are pretty much completely odourless. It says on the back to get a longer lasting smell, leave it in the packet partially opened but when you do that it doesn't give a strong enough smell.

Karrimor Bodmin IV Weathertite, Men's Low Rise Hiking Shoes, Brown (Dark Brown), 8 UK (42 EU)

4.0 out of 5 stars Larrimor Badmin IV Weathertite, 26 Sept. 2015
I've only had these for about week but so far they seem pretty good, I've had a few pairs of Karrimor shoes and they don't tend to be highest quality footwear you can find but they are a very good price and they last a good while so they are always very good value for money. My only issue with these so far is they don't feel as tight as I would ideally like, a size 8 is usually spot on for me but I think I may have got away with a 7. Also the metal lace holders don't allow the lace through very freely which makes it a bit of pain tightening them up and also it will wear out the laces faster.

Drones
Drones

3.0 out of 5 stars Drones, 12 July 2015
This review is from: Drones (Audio CD)
I think Muse is about the greatest band ever but I’m a bit disappointed with this album. Mercy and Revolt are absolutely magnificent songs, it’s worth buying the album just for those. The rest of the album though doesn't quite do it for me, wish they would just focus on doing more of the upbeat stuff which is what they’re best at.

2x Golebo Anti-Glare screen protector for TomTom Go 500 (2013) (Anti-Reflex, Air pocket free application, Easy to remove)
Offered by DISAGU protectionfilms

3.0 out of 5 stars Golebo screen protector for TomTom Go 500, 26 July 2014
There is only one flaw with these but it is quite an annoying one, as another reviewer has mentioned they are not quite a perfect fit. The problem is on the long sides (top & bottom edges) instead of wasting inwards as you move from the middle to the corners, the middle looks like its cut straight and as you move towards the corners it actually bulges out a fraction so it overlaps the edge of the screen which causes an air pocket near each corner (see customer images). Since there are two in the pack I decided to scrap the first one I put on and before putting on the other one I shaved a couple of millimetres off with a pair of scissors so now I have no air pockets.

They do significantly cut down the glare, they don't show finger marks anywhere near as much and I really like the feel of the surface. So the product itself is excellent but getting the right size is such a crucial thing, if they were a fraction too small that wouldn't be an issue but being a fraction too big or out of shape really lets it down.

TomTom GO 500 EU - 5" Sat Nav with Full European Lifetime Maps, Lifetime Traffic Updates, Smartphone Connected and Interactive Screen

5.0 out of 5 stars Tomtom Go 500 EU, 8 July 2014
Despite these new Tomtom Go's not getting the best feedback I decided to get one because the things people complain about are not really an issue for me. I previously had a Tomtom XL which I had for 5 years and the maps were really in need of updating so I wanted a sat nav with lifetime map updates and looks and performs more modern and slicker.

The first things I noticed are the map is more interactive, the touch screen is much more responsive and it's so much faster and easier to scroll around the map. One thing I found annoying about my old XL was if you zoomed in or out while on a journey it would reset back to the default position after a few seconds, also if you wanted to look at a different part of the route or map you had to mess about going through a number of pages to find the browse map option. Both these issues have thankfully been resolved, if you zoom in or out the view stays where you leave it (although I think if you go into the option screen it will reset back to its default position) and to scroll around the map all you have to do is touch the arrow icon on the screen. Instead of pages of icons there is now a row of 7 icons and a settings icon with sub menus but I can't say I've noticed any options or features missing that I've ever used, to me it just appears to have a more simplified layout so everything you need is easy to access.

It feels very solid and good quality, the mount is a big improvement in every way, the touch screen is very responsive, it's easier to operate and navigate, the graphics are a bit of an improvement but it's how much smoother they are that is really impressive. There is hardly any processing delay when scrolling around the map, calculating routes probably never takes any more than about 10 seconds, the sound is also much better thanks to a better speaker and improved spoken voices with the additional feature of being able to say names (streets, towns, city's etc.). My only criticisms are that the map updates are very slow to make it from real world to TomTom's system. There have been two roundabouts added to a very busy road near where I live and it took at least 4 months until the update was available and they aren't even the correct size and shape, whereas a free sat nav app I have on my phone updated the alteration within a couple of weeks. The other problem is the updates take forever to download, I update fairly regularly, about every month or two and I'm not kidding it takes most of the day for it to download. On the whole though it is a brilliant sat nav and I would highly recommend it.

GLENMORANGIE Nectar D'Or 12 Year Old Highland Malt Whisky 70cl Bottle
GLENMORANGIE Nectar D'Or 12 Year Old Highland Malt Whisky 70cl Bottle
Offered by Spirit Service

5.0 out of 5 stars Glemorangie Nectar D'or 12, 20 May 2014
Some people criticise Nectar d'or for being too much like The Original 10, the flavour profile is similar, being the same spirit that's hardly surprising, but The Nectar D'or is deeper, richer and more rounded than The Original, it's exactly what you should expect from an older expression. It has the addition of a wonderful soft sweetness from the Sauterne seasoned French oak cask and a buttery creaminess which develops to fresh fruit, nuts and delicate spice and the creaminess returns in the finish. So The Nectar D'or is for those that want (and are able to appreciate) a refined and enhanced version of the The Original with just a slight tweak in flavour profile, if you want a step in totally different direction then go for the The Lasanta 12 (sherry cask finish) or The Quinta Ruban 12 (port cask finish). The price on here however (currently over £50 delivered) is far too much, if you can, get it on offer in the supermarkets where it's considerably cheaper.

Glenglassaugh Evolution Single Malt Whisky
Glenglassaugh Evolution Single Malt Whisky
Offered by Whisky and Wines

5.0 out of 5 stars Glenglassaugh Evolution, 31 Jan. 2014
I thought Revival, Glenglassaugh's first expression since its re-opening was really good for such a young whisky, but this Evolution isn't just good for a young whisky, it's a great whisky full-stop.

It is matured (for 3/4 years) solely in first fill casks previously used to mature George Dickel Tennessee Whiskey. I have the cask strength version (57.2% ABV) which is a limited run of 6,000 bottles but since the distillery was bought out by BenRiach in early 2013 they, thankfully, released another supposedly limited run of Evolution at a slightly reduced strength of 50% ABV. I have heard though that Evolution will now always be available for the time being.

The signature Glenglassaugh spirit flavours of plums, pears and a bit of banana come through, there's also peaches, a touch of citrus, a slight grassy note and it's all wrapped up with lots of creamy vanilla. It doesn't even come across as that youthful, certainly not spirity like most malts of this age, it seems easily 2-3 times older than it actually is, that's what you get when you have well made spirit and good quality fresh casks. What I find remarkable though is trying it straight at 57.2 % ABV there's very little alcohol burn, it's just wonderfully soft and (I hate to use the word) smooth . You could say it is quite expensive for such a young whisky but it's the flavour and quality of the whisky that really counts and in that respect it's worth every penny. My only criticism is I would like to see Glenglassaugh being a bit more open with information like the age, there doesn't need to be a big number 3 or 4 on the front label but just mention it in the product description, we know it's young so why not present yourself as an open and honest distillery.

Glenglassaugh Evolution Ex Tennessee Cask Matured 50% 70xl
Glenglassaugh Evolution Ex Tennessee Cask Matured 50% 70xl
Offered by The Grapevine

5.0 out of 5 stars Glenglassaugh Evolution, 30 Jan. 2014

The signature Glenglassaugh spirit flavours of plums, pears and a bit of banana come through, there's also peaches, a touch of citrus, a slight grassy note and it's all wrapped up with lots of creamy vanilla. It doesn't even come across as that youthful, certainly not spirity like most malts of this age, it seems easily 2-3 times older than it actually is, that's what you get when you have well made spirit and good quality fresh casks. What I find remarkable though is trying neat at 57.2 % ABV there's very little alcohol burn, it's just wonderfully soft and (I hate to use the word) smooth. You could say it is quite expensive for such a young whisky but it's the flavour and quality of the whisky that really counts and in that respect it's worth every penny. My only criticism is I would like to see Glenglassaugh being a bit more open with information like the age, there doesn't need to be a big number 3 or 4 on the front label but just mention it in the product description, we know it's young so why not present yourself as an open and honest distillery.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 27, 2015 8:50 AM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6