Profile for D. Smith > Reviews

Content by D. Smith

D. Smith (Staffordshire, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB 2.5 inch Solid State Drive
Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB 2.5 inch Solid State Drive
Offered by L&J Photo

5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung SSD, 25 Jun. 2016
One of those things you kick yourself for not buying sooner, not only has it given my laptop an extra 200 GB of space but it is like a whole new computer. Everything just opens instantly. Before, even opening Word or Excel would seem like it was too much to ask but now there's no delay at all. I only have one game on my laptop and again start up time is cut down massively but crucially I'm able to run it at higher graphics with less lag. Boot up time is probably the most impressive thing though, previously I had to leave it about 5 minutes before I could even attempt to use it but really it needed about 10 minutes (even shortly after de-fragging) for it settle down so things would open up in a reasonable amount of time. Now though, I'm not kidding, I can start using it within 30 seconds of pressing the power button. 10 minutes down to 30 seconds! It is incredible.

Karrimor Bodmin IV Weathertite, Men's Trekking and Hiking Shoes
Karrimor Bodmin IV Weathertite, Men's Trekking and Hiking Shoes
Price: £30.00 - £70.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Karrimor Bodmin, 23 May 2016
My only issue with these so far is they don't feel as tight as I would ideally like, a size 8 is usually spot on for me but these feel slightly too big. Also the metal lace holders don't allow the lace through very freely which makes it a bit of pain tightening them up and also it will wear out the laces faster.

Glenfiddich 12 Year Old Whisky 70 cl
Glenfiddich 12 Year Old Whisky 70 cl

4.0 out of 5 stars Glenfiddich 12, 3 April 2016
Glenfiddich 12 takes quite a bit of stick from whisky snobs and the only reason is because it's one of the best-selling malts in the world so it can be considered as a whisky only for beginners or the not very serious single malt drinker, it is indeed a very good introduction to malt whisky but it does not deserve the criticism it receives because this is an excellent whisky. We all have different tastes so of course there will be those that just won't get along with it but anyone that says this is a poor quality whisky doesn't have a clue what they're talking about or is probably just getting too caught up in elitism rather than the appreciation of the spirit.

The most prominent flavour which I think no one can deny is fresh pears, there is also a fair bit of vanilla, some floral notes, I also pick up a slight touch of Bourbon which I don't find that often in single malts despite the fact that they are matured mostly in ex-bourbon casks. I also notice a sort of cereal/grainy, almost earthy element to it which I believe comes from the way Glenfiddich heats its wash still's, which is the traditional method known as direct firing that very few distillery's still do because it is not as efficient as internal steam heated coils but it does contribute to the flavour. There are some sherry casks in the mix but the influence is quite subtle on the nose and palette, however, it's on the finish where the use of these casks really shows up the most. It has to be one of the best and most interesting developments to the finish of any of the younger malts (up to 12 years old) I've come across.

It isn't quite up there with the best whiskies I've had up to 12 years old or that can be got at around £25 - £30 (such as Bunnahabhain 12, Highland Park 12, Glendronach 12, Glengoyne 12 & An Cnoc 12) and that is mostly because it is designed to be easy going and non-intimidating to appeal to a wider range of pallets. So it's not quite dynamic enough to be considered among the best of the entry level single malts but it's a great dram and always very enjoyable whether you are completely inexperienced or a connoisseur.

Airwick 28375 New Car Wick Air Freshener
Airwick 28375 New Car Wick Air Freshener
Offered by teapink

2.0 out of 5 stars Air Wick New Car Air Freshener, 16 Mar. 2016
I think the best way I can describe the fragrance is pot-pourri with fresh citrus fruit, it's actually very similar to a urinal cake or floor cleaner. Not a horrible smell but doesn't resemble a new car in any way which I admit appears to be extremely difficult to replicate since no one seems to be able to do it successfully but still I thought this would have a more interesting smell to it that wouldn't remind me of going to the gents.

Durability wise it is fairly strong for about the first two weeks then it seems to die off quite a bit even though the level of liquid hadn’t hardly gone down. I’ve had it in for nearly two months now, there is plenty of liquid left and it is still working but it is fairly weak.

If they called it something that was more closely related to the fragrance, something like 'Crisp Citrus' or even 'Fresh Car', I probably would give it 3 or 4 stars but to call it 'New Car' is totally inappropriate and misleading.

Joop Homme Wild Eau de Toilette for Men 200 ml
Joop Homme Wild Eau de Toilette for Men 200 ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Joop Wild, 14 Jan. 2016
I’ve been a fan of the original Joop for ages, Wild is different to the original but it is along the same lines so I’m sure anyone that likes Joop will like this too but I wouldn’t advise buying any aftershave until you’ve sampled it yourself first.

I first came across Joop Wild a couple of years ago when I was having a good look around an aftershave/perfume shop in Tenerife. I literally went round the whole shop testing all the men’s aftershave and Joop Wild was the one that really stood out to me. Not only did it smell amazing and totally unique, but it was one of the least expensive. Also you don’t need to spray much for a quite a strong smell and it doesn’t just last for hours, it lasts for days.

I really regretted not buying a bottle because its very hard to even get close to the Tenerife prices in the UK but I recently finished some old bottles of aftershave and needed to get some more so I got a 200ml bottle here on Amazon for less than £30 which I think is even better than in Tenerife. I mean you can pay that for a tiny 30ml bottle at most places!

TeckNet DELTECK 2.4G Nano Wireless Gaming Mouse, 500Hz Return Rate, 9 Buttons, 24 Month Battery Life, 2400 DPI 4 Adjustment Levels
Offered by Innovation Goal UK

3.0 out of 5 stars TeckNet M288 / 2400 DPI, 8 Oct. 2015
What a brilliant mouse, build quality its excellent, it fits the hand so comfortably and the surface has a really nice feel to it. All the buttons have a good quality click to them and the extra buttons are really useful. It has x2 DPI buttons in front of the scroll wheel, a ctrl, alt, shift near your thumb and another one just to the left of the left button called the firepower button which can double click in a single click which is really handy.

ADDITION 28/02/16 - Had the mouse a few months now and am having issues with the scroll wheel.

Yankee Candle Evening Stroll Car Freshener Jar Pack
Yankee Candle Evening Stroll Car Freshener Jar Pack
Offered by Emily Rose Interiors

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't last any where near long enough, 6 Oct. 2015
'Evening Air' is along the lines of mens deodorant with and a touch of floral and a bit of a soapy element.

'Midsummers Night' is sort of the opposite way round to Evening Air, with quite a heavy soapy note (very nice soap) and a touch of mens deodorant.

'Midnight Jasmine' is unsurprisingly very floral, a bit soapy with a slight touch of citrus.

All the air fresheners smell very nice, however, as others have experienced, the smell really dies off after just a few days. One to two weeks later they are completely odourless. It says on the back to get a longer lasting smell, leave it in the packet partially opened but when you do that you can hardly smell it.

Drones
Drones
Offered by MediaMerchants

3.0 out of 5 stars Drones, 12 July 2015
This review is from: Drones (Audio CD)
I think Muse is about the greatest band ever but I’m a bit disappointed with this album. Mercy and Revolt are absolutely magnificent songs, it’s worth buying the album just for those. The rest of the album though doesn't quite do it for me, wish they would just focus on doing more of the upbeat stuff which is what they’re best at.

2x Golebo Anti-Glare screen protector for TomTom Go 500 (2013) (Anti-Reflex, Air pocket free application, Easy to remove)
Offered by DISAGU protectionfilms

3.0 out of 5 stars Golebo screen protector for TomTom Go 500, 26 July 2014
There is only one flaw with these but it is quite an annoying one, as another reviewer has mentioned they are not quite a perfect fit. The problem is on the long sides (top & bottom edges) instead of wasting inwards as you move from the middle to the corners, the middle looks like its cut straight and as you move towards the corners it actually bulges out a fraction so it overlaps the edge of the screen which causes an air pocket near each corner (see customer images). Since there are two in the pack I decided to scrap the first one I put on and before putting on the other one I shaved a couple of millimetres off with a pair of scissors so now I have no air pockets.

They do significantly cut down the glare, they don't show finger marks anywhere near as much and I really like the feel of the surface. So the product itself is excellent but getting the right size is such a crucial thing, if they were a fraction too small that wouldn't be an issue but being a fraction too big or out of shape really lets it down.

TomTom GO 500 EU - 5" Sat Nav with Full European Lifetime Maps, Lifetime Traffic Updates, Smartphone Connected and Interactive Screen
Offered by TODO! TODO!

5.0 out of 5 stars Tomtom Go 500 EU, 8 July 2014
Despite these new Tomtom Go's not getting the best feedback I decided to get one because the things people complain about are not really an issue for me. I previously had a Tomtom XL which I had for 5 years and the maps were really in need of updating so I wanted a sat nav with lifetime map updates and looks and performs more modern and slicker.

The first things I noticed are the map is more interactive, the touch screen is much more responsive and it's so much faster and easier to scroll around the map. One thing I found annoying about my old XL was if you zoomed in or out while on a journey it would reset back to the default position after a few seconds, also if you wanted to look at a different part of the route or map you had to mess about going through a number of pages to find the browse map option. Both these issues have thankfully been resolved, if you zoom in or out the view stays where you leave it (although I think if you go into the option screen it will reset back to its default position) and to scroll around the map all you have to do is touch the arrow icon on the screen. Instead of pages of icons there is now a row of 7 icons and a settings icon with sub menus but I can't say I've noticed any options or features missing that I've ever used, to me it just appears to have a more simplified layout so everything you need is easy to access.

It feels very solid and good quality, the mount is a big improvement in every way, the touch screen is very responsive, it's easier to operate and navigate, the graphics are a bit of an improvement but it's how much smoother they are that is really impressive. There is hardly any processing delay when scrolling around the map, calculating routes probably never takes any more than about 10 seconds, the sound is also much better thanks to a better speaker and improved spoken voices with the additional feature of being able to say names (streets, towns, city's etc.). My only criticisms are that the map updates are very slow to make it from real world to TomTom's system. There have been two roundabouts added to a very busy road near where I live and it took at least 4 months until the update was available and they aren't even the correct size and shape, whereas a free sat nav app I have on my phone updated the alteration within a couple of weeks. The other problem is the updates take forever to download, I update fairly regularly, about every month or two and I'm not kidding it takes most of the day for it to download and install. On the whole though it is a brilliant sat nav and I would highly recommend it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7