Profile for D. Smith > Reviews

Content by D. Smith

D. Smith (Staffordshire, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
2x Golebo Anti-Glare screen protector for TomTom Go 500 (2013) (Anti-Reflex, Air pocket free application, Easy to remove)
Offered by DISAGU protectionfilms

3.0 out of 5 stars Golebo screen protector for TomTom Go 500, 26 July 2014
There is only one flaw with these but it is quite an annoying one, as another reviewer has mentioned they are not quite a perfect fit. The problem is on the long sides (top & bottom edges) instead of wasting inwards as you move from the middle to the corners, the middle looks like its cut straight and as you move towards the corners it actually bulges out a fraction so it overlaps the edge of the screen which causes an air pocket near each corner (see customer images). Since there are two in the pack I decided to scrap the first one I put on and before putting on the other one I shaved a couple of millimetres off with a pair of scissors so now I have no air pockets.

They do significantly cut down the glare, they don't show finger marks anywhere near as much and I really like the feel of the surface. So the product itself is excellent but getting the right size is such a crucial thing, if they were a fraction too small that wouldn't be an issue but being a fraction too big or out of shape really lets it down.

iPhone 4S / iPhone 4 TPU Gel Skin Case / Cover - Clear
iPhone 4S / iPhone 4 TPU Gel Skin Case / Cover - Clear
Offered by Ramos HuakangBuy

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrapin Clear/Translucent Case, 25 July 2014
After spending the best part of a day looking for a case for my new iphone 4S I ended up going for one of these `Translucent White' Terrapin cases because they have mostly postive reviews and at just £2.00 it wouldn't really be a big deal if it wasn't that good.

I'm pleased to say it was a very good choice, it's exactly what I was looking for. They keep a really nice natural minimalistic look while giving decent protection. I have dropped the phone on hard surfaces a couple of times, once on an edge and once flat on the back and the phone was completely unmarked. Accessibility of the buttons and connections are not hindered at all. It has a sort of semi-soft feel to it which will help to absorb impacts and it makes it quite grippy which is great because it means it doesn't slide around or rattle on plastic surfaces in the car. I couldn't be happier with it, 5 star product all day long.

TomTom GO 500 Europe
TomTom GO 500 Europe

5.0 out of 5 stars Tomtom Go 500 EU, 8 July 2014
This review is from: TomTom GO 500 Europe (Electronics)
Despite these new Tomtom Go's not getting the best feedback I decided to get one because the things people complain about are not really an issue for me. I previously had a Tomtom XL which I had for 5 years and the maps were really in need of updating so I wanted a sat nav with lifetime map updates and looks and performs more modern and slicker.

The first things you notice are the map is more interactive, the touch screen is much more responsive and it's so much faster and easier to scroll around the map. One thing I found annoying about my old XL was if you zoomed in or out it would reset back to the default position after a few seconds, also if you wanted to look at a different part of the route or map you had to mess about going through a number of pages to find the browse map option. Both these issues have thankfully been resolved, if you zoom in or out the view stays where you leave it and to scroll around the map all you have to do is touch the arrow icon on the screen. Instead of pages of icons there is now a row of 7 icons and a settings icon with sub menus but I can't say I've noticed any options or features missing that I've ever used, to me it just appears to have a more simplified layout so everything you need is easy to access.

It feels very solid and good quality, the mount is a big improvement in every way, the touch screen is very responsive, it's easier to operate and navigate, the graphics are a bit of an improvement but it's how much smoother they are that is really impressive. There is hardly any processing delay when scrolling around the map, calculating routes probably never takes any more than about 10 seconds, the sound is also much better thanks to a better speaker and improved spoken voices with the additional feature of being able to say names (streets, towns, city's etc.). My only criticism is that the map updates are very slow to make it from real world to TomTom's system. There has been a significant road layout change near me on a very busy road and it took around 3 - 4 months until the update was available, even a free sat nav app I have on my phone updated the alteration in a few weeks. On the whole though it is a brilliant sat nav and I'm very glad I bought it.

GLENMORANGIE Nectar D'Or 12 Year Old Highland Malt Whisky 70cl Bottle
GLENMORANGIE Nectar D'Or 12 Year Old Highland Malt Whisky 70cl Bottle
Offered by Drink Specialist

5.0 out of 5 stars Glemorangie Nectar D'or 12, 20 May 2014
Some people criticise Nectar d'or for being too much like The Original 10, the flavour profile is similar (being the same spirit that's hardly surprising) but The Nectar D'or is deeper, richer and more rounded than The Original, it's exactly what you should expect from an older expression. It has the addition of a wonderful sweetness from the Sauterne seasoned French oak cask and an intense buttery creaminess along with fresh fruit, nuts and delicate spice. So The Nectar D'or is for those that want (and are able to appreciate) a refined and enhanced version of the The Original with just a slight tweak in flavour profile, if you want a step in totally different direction then go for the The Lasanta 12 (sherry cask finish) or The Quinta Ruban 12 (port cask finish). The price on here however, currently over £50 delivered, is far too much, get it on offer in the supermarkets where it's considerably cheaper.

Glenglassaugh Evolution Single Malt Whisky
Glenglassaugh Evolution Single Malt Whisky
Offered by Ealain Gallery &SWS

5.0 out of 5 stars Glenglassaugh Evolution, 31 Jan 2014
I thought Revival, Glenglassaugh's first expression since its re-opening was really good for such a young whisky, but this Evolution isn't just good for a young whisky, it's a great whisky full-stop.

It is matured (for 3/4 years) solely in first fill casks previously used to mature George Dickel Tennessee Whiskey. I have the cask strength version (57.2% ABV) which is a limited run of 6,000 bottles but since the distillery was bought out by BenRiach in early 2013 they, thankfully, released another supposedly limited run of Evolution at a slightly reduced strength of 50% ABV. I have heard though that Evolution will now always be available for the time being.

The signature Glenglassaugh spirit flavours of plums, pears and a bit of banana come through, there's also peaches, a touch of citrus, a slight grassy note and it's all wrapped up with lots of creamy vanilla. It doesn't even come across as that youthful, certainly not spirity like most malts of this age, it seems easily 2-3 times older than it actually is, that's what you get when you have well made spirit and good quality casks. What I find remarkable though is drinking straight at 57.2 % ABV there's very little alcohol burn, it's just wonderfully soft and smooth. You could say it is quite expensive for such a young whisky but it's the flavour and quality of the whisky that really counts and in that respect it's worth every penny. My only criticism is I would like to see Glenglassaugh being a bit more open with information like the age, there doesn't need to be a big number 3 or 4 on the front label but just mention it in the product description, we know it's young so why not present yourself as an open and honest distillery.

Glenglassaugh Evolution Ex Tennessee Cask Matured 50% 70xl
Glenglassaugh Evolution Ex Tennessee Cask Matured 50% 70xl
Offered by The Grapevine

5.0 out of 5 stars Glenglassaugh Evolution, 30 Jan 2014

It is matured (for 3/4 years) solely in first fill casks previously used to mature George Dickel Tennessee Whiskey. I have the cask strength version (57.2% ABV) which is a limited run of 6,000 bottles but since the distillery was bought out by BenRiach in early 2013 they, thankfully, released another supposedly limited run of Evolution at a slightly reduced strength of 50% ABV. I have heard though that Evolution will now always be available for the time being, I suspect until at least the stock of maturing whisky reaches 10 or 12 years old.

The signature Glenglassaugh spirit flavours of plums, pears and a bit of banana come through, there's also peaches, a touch of citrus, a slight grassy note and it's all wrapped up with lots of creamy vanilla. It doesn't even come across as that youthful, certainly not spirity like most malts of this age, it seems easily 2-3 times older than it actually is, that's what you get when you have well made spirit and good quality casks. What I find remarkable though is drinking neat at 57.2 % ABV there's very little alcohol burn, it's just wonderfully soft and smooth. You could say it is quite expensive for such a young whisky but it's the flavour and quality of the whisky that really counts and in that respect it's worth every penny. My only criticism is I would like to see Glenglassaugh being a bit more open with information like the age, there doesn't need to be a big number 3 or 4 on the front label but just mention it in the product description, we know it's young so why not present yourself as an open and honest distillery.

Glenfiddich 12 years old 40% 70cl
Glenfiddich 12 years old 40% 70cl
Offered by Diy & Homeware

4.0 out of 5 stars Glenfiddich 12, 10 Jan 2014
Glenfiddich 12 takes quite a bit of stick from malt snobs and the only reason is because it's the best-selling malt in the world so it can be considered as a whisky only for beginners or the not very serious single malt drinker, it is indeed a very good introduction to malt whisky but it does not deserve the criticism it receives because this is an excellent whisky. We all have different tastes so of course there will be those that just won't get along with it but anyone that says this is a poor whisky does not know what they're talking about or is probably just getting too caught up in what whisky enthusiasts regard as fashionable rather than the appreciation of the spirit.

The most prominent flavour which I think no one can deny is fresh pears, there is also a fair bit of vanilla, some floral notes, I also pick up a slight touch of Bourbon which I don't find that often in single malts despite the fact that they are matured mostly in ex-bourbon casks. I also notice a sort of cereal/grainy, almost earthy element to it which most likely comes from the way Glenfiddich heats its still's, which is the traditional method known as direct firing that very few distillery's still do. Glenfiddich use some sherry casks in the mix but the sherry casks influence is quite subtle on the nose and palette, however, it's on the finish where the use of these casks really shows up the most. It has to be one of the best and most interesting developments to the finish of any of the younger malts (up to 12 years old) I've come across, especially of the ones that have been chill-filtered.

It isn't quite up there with the best whiskies I've had up to 12 years old or around £25 and that is mostly because it is designed to be non-intimidating so to appeal to a wider range of pallets. So it's not quite dynamic enough to be considered among the best of the entry level single malts but it's a great dram and always very enjoyable whether you are completely inexperienced or a connoisseur.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 1, 2014 12:36 PM BST

Glenmorangie Nectar D'or 15 years old Sauternes Cask 46% 70cl
Glenmorangie Nectar D'or 15 years old Sauternes Cask 46% 70cl
Offered by The Wine Cellar

5.0 out of 5 stars Glenmorangie The Nectar D'or 15, 6 Nov 2013

ADDITION (20/05/14) - This 15 year old is, as you might expect, a bit better than the 12 year old version, it's that little bit softer and deeper, however, it appears to be discontinued now and it simply is not worth anything like the current asking price of £80 on here (I got it for £33.99 less than a year ago). My advice would be look out for the 12 year old on offer in the supermarkets instead.

Jim Murray's Whisky Bible 2013
Jim Murray's Whisky Bible 2013
by Jim Murray

4.0 out of 5 stars Jim Murray's Whisky Bilble 2013, 22 Oct 2013
First of all, I don't want to come across as a malt snob here, I can happily drink cheap blends, however, I do think Jim gives the big cheap blends ridiculously high scores. For example he gives Grant's Family Reserve 94/100 and Ballantine's Finest 96/100, don't get me wrong I like both those whiskies, in fact I often find myself defending Grant's and singing its praises but to score it that highly is just ridiculous, especially when he gives much better blends (in my opinion) like Whyte & Mackay 22 a measly 84.5/100. I could almost understand if he took price into consideration but he says in the beginning that he doesn't. It's all subjective I know, no one's going to agree with everything but I just think he doesn't do his credibility any good being so generous to the big cheap blends. Another criticism I have to mention is the varying amount of detail he goes into for individual whiskies, some can take up half a page yet for some there are as little as 3 words. Where's the consistency?

This Whisky Bible however is unrivalled as a whisky guide, Jim's love of the spirit and enthusiasm about the industry comes across on every page offering unbiased ratings and views on just about any whisky you've ever had or want to have. So if you have even the slightest interest in whisky, Jim Murray's Whisky Bible's can be a very useful book to own.

Pipe Lighter
Pipe Lighter

4.0 out of 5 stars IMCO G55R pipe lighter, 20 Oct 2013
This review is from: Pipe Lighter (Sports)
These lighters are brilliant, the slanted flame is perfect for lighting pipes, the flame is easily adjusted by rotating the base, the flint is replaceable and crucially it has been by far the most reliable lighter I've ever owned. I've had mine for 2 years and 2 months, using it everyday and it has worked faultlessly up until now. It still works but it has all of a sudden started outputting too much gas, even with the wheel wound down to its minimum the flame is a bit too big, however, I don't know about you but I've never had a lighter last for anything like that long. The only reason I have given it 4 stars and not 5 is the price, at the moment it is about £10 delivered which is a bit too much.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6