Profile for P H. Moore > Reviews

Content by P H. Moore

P H. Moore (Isle of Wight UK)

Oceania
Oceania
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars A return to form after Zeitgeist, 18 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Oceania (Audio CD)
OK, so I am a HUGE Pumpkins fan, and have been a fan since I first heard Mellon Collie in 1995. That album blew me away, and they became my favorite band instantly. Since then I have bought everything I could find including all albums, demos, dvds, unreleased stuff, live albums etc. And for me every album is a 5 star album apart from Adore (4 stars) and the disappointing Zeitgeist (3 stars.) And so after Zeitgeist I had fairly low expectations for Oceania. I didn't enjoy previous Teargarden releases, and it seemed to me that the band's best day's were behind them. Billy has reinvented the band with new members after Jimmy Chamberlin left, including an excellent young drummer Mike Byrne. First of all Oceania sounds like a proper Smashing Pumpkins album. Billy has taken inspiration from his previous Pumpkins albums and somehow mixed them all together to make something new, but at the same time recognizable as the Smashing Pumpkins. Back is the emotion of Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie, back are the synth's from Adore. Back is the psychedelia of Gish etc. Yes Corgan has really brought the focus back with the new line-up. Oceania may not be a Mellon-Collie, but it is a very solid album. I have listened through the album 6 or so times so far and I am surprised at just how good it is. Oceania comfortably sits alongside other classic albums like Machina, Gish, and Pisces Iscariot as a very good Smashing Pumpkins album. And let's be honest, who saw that coming? I didn't!
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 3, 2012 1:21 PM BST