ARRAY(0xb08ec9e4)

Profile for Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog > Reviews

Content by Gareth Wilson ...
Top Reviewer Ranking: 390

Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata Times Blog"
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Life Sentence: A True Story about Love, Lunacy and Fame
Life Sentence: A True Story about Love, Lunacy and Fame
by Robert Lasardo
Price: 8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute must read, 17 April 2014
I’ve been a fan of Robert LaSardo since I originally saw him in Nip/Tuck, so when he released his poetry books I was pretty stunned, not because he released them but purely for the fact that I’d stereotyped him based on not only his looks (with his tattoo’s) but on the character he’d portrayed. Those books were emotionally raw, real and quite frankly awesome so much so that I felt that I had to write reviews on them.

It was a sheer pleasure and when Robert wrote in December to wish us Merry Christmas I was not only surprised but it went to show that he was a down to earth in touch with the real world human being, so when I heard about his autobiography coming out, it was something I wanted immediately and couldn’t wait to get my hands upon.

So when it arrived, it was devoured in quite a short time and whilst I could have written the review much earlier, it’s a review that has taken me time to sit back and digest as well as how to phrase as the emotional aspects detailed within the title are open, frankly brutal in places and has gone on to show how the real Hollywood works.

Starting out in Robert’s early life, the reader is given the cold hard facts about him having to deal with a split family with his mother suffering from mental illness, it was difficult to read and whilst many would have bypassed this to concentrate on their story from later on ie their arrival in Hollywood, his openness about it brought tears to my eyes. I felt special being allowed into his life, as his words portrayed a truth that many others wouldn’t have the courage to face let alone talk about.

Yet as the book carried on he continued to talk about his life from child into adult hood alongside his time in the Navy and how upon de mobbing his return to his love of acting from his humble beginnings through to Hollywood, but not the Tinseltown that many think of as glitz and glamour, the downright real world version where money is scarce and home is a motel as you struggle making rent each week. A pretentious town where people you looked up to and met years before have been chewed up and spat out wandering round crazed and almost forgotten.

The book is harrowing, the tales about auditions frightening and to have an account from an actor who most would think lived in a big house (including myself) with a huge bank balance (he doesn’t) really has a less stable life than most “average people” do. Yet throughout it all, despite being stomped and downtrodden so many times its his clear passion for acting that comes through with each of his characters such as Nip/Tuck’s Escobar whose portrayal pushed not only the audience to the max but the character himself.

If you want real peak beneath Hollywood’s skirt, that contains amazing writing and a truth that rings out then you really have to read Robert’s work (poetry included.) He really is an inspirational guy. Thank you Robert.

Veet Easy Wax Sensitive Electrical Kit
Veet Easy Wax Sensitive Electrical Kit
Price: 15.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 16 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
OK, this review is a second hand one as I'm having to go off what my other half has told me from her use (which is probably a good thing as I can edit out the swearing that I know happened upon useage.)

The wax heats up quite quickly and is very easy to apply, its smooth and after the swearing upon pulling, she was happy with the results as there was no real left over wax and left her legs nice and smooth (I could test that part out.) All in it does do what you want, however whilst the whole kit is an acceptable at 15 having to buy the same brand wax refill is quite expensive. So on that front it fails the value for money test.

All in consider carefully what you're looking for in a product before purchasing and then check the cost of refills. That way you won't get hit with unexpected costs if you like the item.

Corsair Raptor HS40 USB 7.1 Comfortable Gaming Headset
Corsair Raptor HS40 USB 7.1 Comfortable Gaming Headset
Offered by Maplin_Webdeals
Price: 34.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid headset for gamers and skypers alike, 16 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
To be honest I'm not really a pc gamer, but I do use a headset to listen to music, online videos and of course skyping with friends around the world, so a good comfortable headset is essential. This headset not only fulfills my needs but adds what I feel is good quality sound to the equation which when backed with a mike that delivers the same quality to people I'm skyping with (as my old mike used to sometimes carry a crackle) all round has left me very happy. Definitely worth paying out for.

Leapfrog Sing and Play Farm
Leapfrog Sing and Play Farm
Price: 11.47

4.0 out of 5 stars Very happy niece, 16 April 2014
This review is from: Leapfrog Sing and Play Farm (Toy)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
OK, I remember leapfrog starting which sadly goes to show how old I am, yet when I saw this (and knowing that my niece loves animals) I couldn't resist it. Its fun, has plenty for a youngster to do, is easily portable for them (as her mum can attest to) and when added to a whole heap of buttons and pictures to press all round makes her very happy.

Add to this that its quite cheap compared to a lot of other toys out there and the sheer pleasure it gives, I'd more than reommend this to other people to buy for the 18 month

Fisher Price Gold Fish Potty
Fisher Price Gold Fish Potty
Price: 17.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Does whats needed, 16 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Fisher Price has taken what is a simple idea and made sure that its useful for childrens development, from just learning to use a potty through to using the loo as the base can be used as a step with the top part fitting the loo seat so that they don't feel like they're going to fall in.

Its bright, it has a happy face on it and to be honest my Niece is more than happy with it. All round money well spent and whilst a few people may think that there are cheaper ones out there that will do the same job, being able to help them up to the big step of using a proper toilet, is worth the extra cash.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Season 2 - Volume 1 [DVD]
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Season 2 - Volume 1 [DVD]
Price: 7.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Good fun especially whils watching wih nephews, 3 April 2014
OK, I’m of the generation that remembers these half-shell heroes originally and lets be honest, they were damn awesome way back in the 90’s. So with the new film coming out in August, I wanted to see what our favourite ninja’s were to the new generation (and I ended up watching this with my nephews.) What occurs within is a tale of pure kickass action and whilst the animation has gone over to CG these days, its something that not only entertained the nephews but myself as well whilst I got introduced to the brand new villains that weren’t about from the old days.

All round I was more than entertained and lets be honest, if you’re younger family members are looking forward to the new film as much as my lot are, these new series DVD’s may well save your sanity as well as help to educate you in all things turtle.

All in a great bit of fun and for 7 you can have a lot of peace of mind. Well worth it.

Theodore Boone: The Activist (Theodore Boone: Young Lawyer)
Theodore Boone: The Activist (Theodore Boone: Young Lawyer)
Price: 2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Cracking YA series from a master, 17 Mar 2014
Another Young Adult story from an established adult author that goes to prove that their skills are just as captivating for a younger audience as they are for older fans. The tale does what Grisham does best bringing cracking characters to the fore as the investigation wends its way with wonderful touches that young readers will more than identify with.

Back this up with wonderful prose and a high octane pace all round gives you something special to savour. Definitely a cracking book and my favourite JG title to date.

Kindred Edition: First
Kindred Edition: First
by Octavia E. Butler

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Writing for fans of Outlander, 17 Mar 2014
This review is from: Kindred Edition: First (Hardcover)
As a huge fan of the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon I’m always on the look out for something that has a similar flavour but also takes its own path as worlds not only collide but gives the reader a heart rending tale where you’re never quite sure what’s going to happen.

Here within this book Octavia really gives the reader a story that not only fulfils an emotional aspect but one that really takes you on a journey as the dark past comes to not only life but generates something special. The prose is reasonable, the pace solid enough, but for me, it’s the vivid characters that Octavia creates within that really kept me glued. I loved the way that the characters emotions made them believable and how they developed alongside the story. All round a tale that I enjoyed as it was something a little different for me. Thank you for a wonderful read Octavia.

The Happier Dead
The Happier Dead
by Ivo Stourton
Price: 7.99

4.0 out of 5 stars I loved the concept, 17 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Happier Dead (Paperback)
Whilst a lot of readers can be put off a crime novel when Science Fiction is involved, you really have to give it a go as its not that far fetched giving readers the chance to see a believable world of tomorrow where the rich stay richer and the poor are downtrodden as the march of progress is slowed./halted for the rich whilst the poor are treated worse than dirt.

Its captivating, it has an almost Victorian feel and when added to a principle character who is thrust into a world he is more than uncomfortable in really keeps the reader on their toes. Back this up with great prose, some cracking author sleight of hand and a mystery that really keeps you glued as events unfurl all round opens the reader to a cracking new world for future exploits.

Stone Cold (Joe Pickett Novels)
Stone Cold (Joe Pickett Novels)
by C. J. Box

4.0 out of 5 stars Top Notch Title, 17 Mar 2014
Life is not only hectic but complex for series hero Joe Pickett as events from past exploits catch up with him pulling him in all directions. Not only does this latest adventure throw him back into unsavoury company of Governor Rulon but the return of Nate Romanowski.

Its fast paced with top notch action and when thrust into a community that likes to keep its own secrets really does give the reader the chance to explore the tale from the principle players point of view as investigations pry away at the darker side. Its cracking prose and of course when added to a stunning background from previous exploits will more than please readers looking for solid crime fiction.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20