Profile for Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog > Reviews

Content by Gareth Wilson ...
Top Reviewer Ranking: 412

Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata Times Blog"
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Leifheit # 72592 Large Lightweight Deluxe Ironing Board for Steam Generator Irons-Air Steam Premium MAXX

3.0 out of 5 stars it's bigger than most others (more a surf board than an Ironing board) and on the whole does make it easier (although I think th, 27 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As a person who hates Ironing, anything that makes it easier is always a plus point for me, so when I had the chance to try this item from Amazon, I thought it was worth a go. Now as a person who has always bought a cheap ironing board (under £30) I'm always apprehensive about the really expensive ones, after all, its just something to put the washing on to iron it, its a flat surface, how can it be approved?

Well, what this board does is have holes within to allow the steam through (so much so that you notice the condensation under the board afterwards. it's bigger than most others (more a surf board than an Ironing board) and on the whole does make it easier (although I think that its due to having a bigger volume for things like shirts and sheets.)

However my major grumble is that its not the easiest thing to set up. I had to turn it upside down to be able to get it sorted right and whilst I'm not an idiot with these things, it did feel a bit like a krypton factor challenge to get it set up. The instructions are not clear (in fact you have to go off a very basic diagram that really doesn't help) and for the money that they charge for it, I sort of feel that it really lets itself down when cheaper boards are way easier to put up. (In fact for the money, I expected the damn thing to do it on its own.)

All round it is a good board and it will be one I'll be using for years, but putting it all together will remain a bugbear for quite some time to come.

Pinzon Blackout Curtains 56 x 84 Inches (Set of 2) Khaki
Pinzon Blackout Curtains 56 x 84 Inches (Set of 2) Khaki

4.0 out of 5 stars Great curtains for the home., 25 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
OK, living where I do, I hate the fact that outside my home feels sometimes like a throughfare for party goers especailly on a Saturday Night and I always feel on edge when I I can hear them not knowing if they can see in. Its something that I hate so getting a good pair of curtains has always been a priority, however, good curtains are not cheap, so for years I've had to rely on roman blinds.

They're pretty dire at keeping light out and to be honest when you hit winter, you really want to make sure you keep the heat in. So when I saw the chance to get these curtains from Amazon, I jumped at the chance. Firstly they're the correct measurements, whilst this may seem like a silly thing to say, there have been times when some measurements haven't been right and there's been a gap with the curtains. I hate that.

Secondly, the colour works well for most rooms and with the added benefit of the blackout parts within really make you feel secure from the world with giving you privacy. It blocked out the street lights wonderfully and when added to the fact that they also stopped any chance of being able to see in, all round made me very happy. A great way to help get the cinema feel at home and with a cracking horror film, a wonderful way to get that extra scare.

All round I am more than pleased with these curtains and when you add the fact that you can machine wash them, all round makes them an ideal purchase for all.

Skullcandy Air Raid Rugged Waterproof Portable Rechargeable Wireless Bluetooth Speaker - Grey/Black/Hot Blue

4.0 out of 5 stars Great item and took a knock very well., 22 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
OK, whilst other people have tested this to a certain degree around the house, having read the adventurous side of things within the description, I put it to the test on a bit of a trek. That is to have it playing as I marched up Scarfel Pike (which from home is about a 3 hour drive.) So having charged it overnight and having sorted out the connection to my phone, (along with a few snacks and drinks) began my trek up the fell.

The first thing I found was that the speaker in itself is a bit on the heavy side, although with a backpack that did make it a lot easier. So strapping it to the top, I started out playing the music on a low to mid level so I wouldn't disturb other trekers, began the ascent. The sound quality was very good and whilst I wasn't expecting great quality (due to previously owned speakers), I was surprised at how good it was. The music was clear, had a good sound to it and all round made the journey enjoyable and whilst I do worry at the price of these things, I have found that the quality of the speaker is dependent upon the amount of money you spend.

All round, upon reaching the top, I had a track of victory, took in the view and then came back down. It took the journey very well, (even surviving me slipping and falling over) and all round is going to be my take out item whenever I go back up there. So much so that next summer I'm planning a few day trups up with my other half and a picnic or two.

Cracking item.

A Trick of the Mind
A Trick of the Mind

3.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't get on with the main character, 17 Sep 2014
To be blunt here, this isn’t a book that I thought much to. What didn’t help was for me that I couldn’t associate with the principle character who felt like a woman that had everything, which whilst I’m not saying is impossible, for me put this as a person with no real understanding of real life.

Don’t get me wrong, the concept was strong, it followed a linear chain of thought and did have immense potential but when you can’t identify with a character you really don’t care what happens to them. All round, Penny is an author who has had a lot of success with other books she’s written but for me, this book felt fairly flat, a little too simplistic and the messages contained within aren’t strong enough for today’s modern person. A great shame.

Meal in a Mug: 80 fast, easy recipes for hungry people - all you need is a mug and a microwave

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple and easy, 17 Sep 2014
There are plenty of times you’ve got some leftovers and not enough to make a huge meal, so rather than throw them away in a time when we all know the price of food, you try to be inventive to find ways to make the best of what you have.

Whilst this isn’t a full banquet type of book, its one that helps use those left over scraps and gives you something hot with just a few minutes work. It’s tasty, its very simple to follow and all round, in my opinion would be a good book to give to students or those looking to help extend a few ingredients.

All round a solid book, one that provides some sweet treats as well as savoury meals and something that will help you make the most of what you have.

Rokit Gel Polish Professional Kit
Rokit Gel Polish Professional Kit

3.0 out of 5 stars Solid item, however think about how many visits it'll take to buy this item., 15 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
OK, I didn't use this product personally, however my other half has so this review is based on what she thought of it.

Firstly upon opening the colour of the nail polish supplied was quite loud, however a quick Amazon search gives you a whole host of other Gel Colours available so you can always pick one you like. In addition to thi you also get a small bottle of gel nail polish remover, now there are two ways to deal wtih this:
1) Buy some wearable Nail Soak Soakers (they fit on your fingers so you don't need too much Gel Nail Polish Remover.)
2) There are other brand Gel Nail Polish Remover so you can pick some of that up for a cheaper price.

Now whilst using this there was what she referred to as one major problem, which was that for the first stage you had to put your hands in under the UV for one minute which you have to time seperately. It would have made more sense to have had two buttons on the top one for each time required. Whilst this may seem like a small niggle, when your other half has wet nails and is trying to figure out a minute, I had to shout the time through to her to make sure it was done correctly.

Finally when done, whilst she wasn't 100% happy with the colour she was more than happy with the results with some hard wearing nail polish. It was worth the time and effort and all round gave her results she wanted. At the end of the day however it is a product you're going to have to use a few times to get your money's worth out of and if you tend to visit the nail specialist five or six times a year this is defintiely something that will help cut the bill down and give you great results. If you visit only once or twice well you might want to keep those visits up as you'll have more choice on colour and be cheaper on the pocket.

H2D iR Ionic and Infrared Professional Hair Dryer
H2D iR Ionic and Infrared Professional Hair Dryer

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 10 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
beautiful inside and out.. what can I say? well the packaging of the hairdryer is second to none, silver writing on a dark blue sturdy box. Perfect for a gift. Inside the hairdryer is mounted on a velvet style material which really makes this product look ultra expensive, you get the usual add on's in the directional accessory and the diffuser, but you also get a proffesional salon hair brush (detangler), takes any knots out of your wet hair with ease. The hairdryer itself is easy to hold and a good weight, and is amazing at getting your hair dry in a fraction of the time of my usual old hairdryer, saving electricity which always helps!!. I can't believe how good My hair looks, the shine is amazing and I have had people ask if I have had a treatment done!!! well worth the money.

Monster High Freaky Fusion Bonita Femur Hybrid Doll
Monster High Freaky Fusion Bonita Femur Hybrid Doll

5.0 out of 5 stars WoW, 10 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
yet again another fantastic freaky fusion doll!! this doll is half skeleton half moth, so she really does look odd!! her hair is amazing nice and long with streaks, her dress actually has lil butterfly's on it and her shoes as always are pretty funky. Her wings are nice and strong so she stands up without a stand, I have to say tho she is much nicer looking in real life, so do give her a chance!!.

BETA Adult Retrievers with Turkey, 2 kg (Pack of 4)
BETA Adult Retrievers with Turkey, 2 kg (Pack of 4)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product all round., 9 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As a pet owner, I like to make sure that my furbabies not only get food that they like but food that is good for them. Having tried Beta before, I know that the name is one to trust, they've helped my Dogs have healthy fur, good skin and to be honest its been a great way to help control their weight as lets face it, its quite easy for a pet to put weight on.

Add to this that it all tastes great (at least according to my dog) who if you'll pardon the pun wolfed it down. All round a great product and a brand I'll be sticking with.

Black Ice (Midgard)
Black Ice (Midgard)
by Susan Krinard

2.0 out of 5 stars Not up to parr for me., 7 Sep 2014
This review is from: Black Ice (Midgard) (Paperback)
Whilst I’m a huge reader of Fantasy, there are times when I just can’t get into a book. Sadly this was one of those times as I had a hard time getting into it. The start was a bit jumpy, the pace for me was all over the place and when you add into this a principle character that I felt was a two dimensional space filler rather than someone I could get behind and want to spend the time with really left me feeling flat.

Back this up with an arc that felt a little bit too predictable alongside dialogue that really didn’t sell the whole situation and all round I was left feeling a little cheated.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20