Profile for Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog > Reviews

Content by Gareth Wilson ...
Top Reviewer Ranking: 404

Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata Times Blog"
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Tropic of Serpents (A Memoir by Lady Trent)
The Tropic of Serpents (A Memoir by Lady Trent)
by Marie Brennan

4.0 out of 5 stars As good as the first, 14 Aug 2014
The second book in the series and one that continues to build upon the hard work of the original. I love the way that the authorly voice within brings a sense of strength to the piece alongside passion for the subject matter. Its definitely something quirky, something unique and for me, is a series that would make a more than fascinating TV series that will give the reader a visual look into something that has garnered the readers attention for years.

Back this up with solid prose, cracking dialogue alongside observations and all round I was a more than happy reader.

A Natural History of Dragons: A Memoir by Lady Trent (Memoir By Lady Trent 1)
A Natural History of Dragons: A Memoir by Lady Trent (Memoir By Lady Trent 1)
by Marie Brennan

4.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely cracking, 14 Aug 2014
This was a book I’d been looking forward to for quite some time as the premise was something that instantly struck a chord with me especially as I have a fondness for the imaginative fictional documentary, The Last Dragon. What unfurls within is a book that has an almost Darwinesque feel to it bringing the Victoriana of an alternate world wonderfully to the fore.

It has a rich descriptive prose, some cracking concepts and of course when added to an author with a clear love of the subject matter all round generated something that was not only unique but something that was a pure joy to spend time with. A cracking start to a new series and one that I hope many others will recognise as well. Magical.

Dian Hanson's History of Pin-up Magazines Vol. 1-3 by Dian Hanson (May 1 2013)
Dian Hanson's History of Pin-up Magazines Vol. 1-3 by Dian Hanson (May 1 2013)
by Dian Hanson

3.0 out of 5 stars Heavy Going but well worth the time, 14 Aug 2014
Whilst I know that Dian has published with Taschen before, this was my first look at the authors work and the chance to get to see an area that I fell in love with since seeing images on the war planes of the Second World War. I love pin up and I’m a huge fan of Bettie Page so the chance to get behind the history of the pin-up as well as to see how its developed alongside the opportunity to see why it grips the audience so, I couldn’t wait to embark on what I felt would be quite a comprehensive history.

The books were definitely interesting and whilst at times it felt a little clipped, I did get a better idea of the genre as a whole. I loved the way that the author drew the audience in and of course with the top notch set of pictures accompanying it rather proved the various points of view. All round a series that I had quite a bit of fun reading and one that I’ll be referencing from time to time in the future. Great stuff.

The Killing Season
The Killing Season
by Mark Pearson

4.0 out of 5 stars Throughly enjoyable with great characters, 14 Aug 2014
This review is from: The Killing Season (Paperback)
Ok, so I’ve not read any of this author’s writing before, but I’m a huge fan of a crime tale told well and with characters that I just love to spend time around, and that’s what Mark presents in this title in spades. The lead character, DI Jack Delaney, is not only well rounded, but a character with quirks and foibles that help make him more real in the readers mind, which when backed with a family that steps straight from the page into a believable house next door, all rounds helps gives this a solid grounding.

All round, this title is one that I was more than happy to spend the time with, especially when added to a pace that allows you to take breathers whilst deciphering the clues as they’re unearthed, which when blended with good prose and of course dialogue that really fires the imagination all round gave me a very pleasurable evening. Great stuff.

Philips SC2004/11 Lumea IPL Hair Removal System for body with Slide and Flash Mode
Price: 350.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use and pain free, 12 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
OK, I didn't use this so will have to paraphrase what my other half said about it.

Firstly after years of shaving and waxing she's always complained about the pain that she has to go through to look good, so when this product arrived she was more than interested to try it. It fitted her hand well, was easy to use and with the various settings was something that she found to be a reasonably quick and easy way to do her legs.

Back this up with no replacement parts for the item and all round the price whilst expensive, is an all in one product.

Braun Oral-B PRO 3000 CrossAction 3-Mode Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush
Braun Oral-B PRO 3000 CrossAction 3-Mode Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush
Price: 44.99

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the best on the market., 12 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
To be honest I love the Oral B toothbrush and whilst a lot of the others are just sonic brushes (they vibrate) the oral b has a circular motion to make sure that your teeth are full cleansed.

Its a good product with a reasonable price and whilst I have tried a few other brushes other than the Oral B, its to this brand I always return. All round I was more than happy with this brush and will be one I'll be using for quite some time.

Pegasus Health Salmon Oil for dogs 1 Litre
Pegasus Health Salmon Oil for dogs 1 Litre
Price: 18.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product that the dog loves., 12 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a wonderful product for the dog. It really brings her coat up lovely, is easy to add to the food and doesn't really smell. The dog loves the taste and all round as a hummie owner, you really want to do the best you can for your pet even if some times you're not sure if you're being flim-flammed or not.

In this case you're not and for something that the dog loves and is healthy for her as well, its definitely worth the purchase.

Fisher-Price Nursery Rhymes Projector Lightshow
Fisher-Price Nursery Rhymes Projector Lightshow
Offered by Molly & Boo
Price: 44.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice piece of kit if a little pricey., 12 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I got this for my niece and whilst its a bit of a pricey item, its something that will entertain with not only its lights but with the musical aspects as well. Its bright, will entertain for quite some time and all round made my day when we played with it together. One thing I will say is tha you'll need batteries (C Batteries and AA) so don't forget to buy some before handing it over, but on the whole it was a whole load of fun and it helped her get to sleep. Something that her Mum and Dad really appreciated.

Ultrasport Unisex Adult Multifunctional Fitness Mat, PVC   - Black ,Small
Ultrasport Unisex Adult Multifunctional Fitness Mat, PVC - Black ,Small
Price: 19.90

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what you want it for., 12 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
To be honest this is quite a simple item and yet its something that is a good thing to own if you have your own home gym equipment and don't want to mark the floors. Its pretty tough, durable and to be blunt does waht you want it for. Its not that thick and sadly can't be used as a work out matt but as something between the machines (if they fit) and something thats easy to scratch such as a wood floor, its a great idea. It can also be used to help muffle a lot of the noise made by utilising your work out equipment so as such it does have a duel purpose.

All round, pretty good and a reasonable price.

Paranormal Intruder: The True Story of a Family in Fear
Paranormal Intruder: The True Story of a Family in Fear
Price: 2.02

5.0 out of 5 stars very chilling great read, 11 Aug 2014
Whilst reading my Facebook wall one day I came across a share about this book, which after reading the blurb and as a fan of horror movies as well as ghost stories I thought I'd give it a go as I'm more than interested in getting to read someone's real life account of a haunting.

Yes, generally a lot of them are all based in historic places such as tales of the past Kings and Queens or a haunted old inn yet this one stood out as it was set in a fairly new property, not something that you'd think would be haunted.

So upon opening the pages the reporting of the events started straight away and to be honest never slowed down.unlike so many others. What this title has done completely differently was to sit down and explain everything in a clear concise manner that also allowed you to get to know the victims of this haunting. There was no bravado or heroic stances from the family concerned and after doing what they could, they took the only step left to them which was to leave their home but even that didn't end the paranormal events.

All in, this is a book that has a lot of twists and turns within, taking the reader from tears, from when the family had to rehome their dogs or your hair standing on end as the events are described in detail, yet throughout it all, it was clear that the familial bonds were strong as they stood together against the unseen foe.

I have read other reviews and am shocked at certain people's attitude to part of the story ( I will not go into it ) and I want to say to them until you have been literally been to hell and back don't be abusive about people's reactions to a situation like this. The books author also has a blog which is very interesting and in my opinion is something definitely worth looking at. I would definitely give this book 10 out of 10 and I'm glad the author could come forward with this story it may well help others.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20