Profile for Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog > Reviews

Content by Gareth Wilson ...
Top Reviewer Ranking: 737

Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata Times Blog"
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Tiger and the Wolf (Echoes of the Fall)
The Tiger and the Wolf (Echoes of the Fall)
by Adrian Tchaikovsky

4.0 out of 5 stars Cracking new series and a must for all fantasy fans., 11 Feb. 2016
Adrian’s brand new and hard hitting primate fantasy that brings all the magic alongside experience gained from his Shadows of the Apt series into a brand new world where readers are treated to the story of Maniye, a woman with multiple identities who doesn’t fit into the world in which she is born.

Its harsh, its brutal and to be honest I loved every minute of this book. What worked was the descriptive bleakness of the landscape alongside the characters choices that force her onto her own path. Add to this wonderfully descriptive prose backed up with top notch characters both major and minor and all round a book that worked for me on so many levels. I can’t wait to read more of this series to see what else will occur. Cracking.

LEGO Marvel Avengers (Xbox One)
LEGO Marvel Avengers (Xbox One)

4.0 out of 5 stars Best Lego Game to date, 10 Feb. 2016
OK, this won’t come as a surprise but I love my lego games, they’re fun for me as an adult, great for me to play with my nephews and when you get to throw into the mix Marvel’s heroes then its pretty much a win/win any which way I look at it.

What this game brings to the fore is Avenger threads, cracking characters that will give you a whole heap of fun and with the ability to replay levels with new characters alongside abilities all round make this a game that has a lot of replay value as you see to earn every achievement as well as gold brick in the game. As with the other Marvel title you also get to rescue creator Stan Lee from numerous predicaments and all round not only get a good chuckle as the lego humour takes over but have a whole heap of fun for all involved.

All round, this is my favourite lego title to date and whilst I thought that the original Marvel would take a lot to beat it, this one alone for the gaming experience has been bigger, better and way more fun. Cracking.

Lego Marvel's Avengers
Lego Marvel's Avengers
Offered by RAREWAVES USA

4.0 out of 5 stars Best Lego title to date, 10 Feb. 2016

Blood in Her Veins: Nineteen Stories from the World of Jane Yellowrock
Blood in Her Veins: Nineteen Stories from the World of Jane Yellowrock
by Faith Hunter

4.0 out of 5 stars Cracking short story compendium, 9 Feb. 2016
OK, I’m coming at this as someone who hasn’t read Faith’s work before but as I tend to love a lot of Urban Fantasy short stories felt that it would be worth a go and to be honest with you, I’m more than happy I did. The central character Jane Yellowrock is feisty, kickass, smart aleck type of heroine who discovers herself from the first short story onwards. It’s lovely to dip into various aspects of her life between books and then when you get tales from sub characters that feel almost like family, it really made it more than rewarding.

Add to this great prose, top notch action sequences alongside well thought out plot as well as dialogue and all round I was more than a happy reader. So much so that now I’m going to have to pick up the full Jane Yellowrock series just to spend more time with her. I can’t wait for the new series that she’s starting this year. Magic.

UWOP LaPerm Cat Scratching Post, 121 cm
UWOP LaPerm Cat Scratching Post, 121 cm

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun but get more than one, 9 Feb. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
OK, I'm going to keep this simple I have a lot of cat trees in my home (6 in the front room) and together they combine to make Catopolis. This is one that I picked up for the bedroom, as they have a couple of shelves and this would make it not only easier to climb on them but also make it more fun for the up and down helter-skelter race course at 4am.

Its sturdy handles two main coones, a heavy moggy and two perfect weight kittys. They love bouncing up this tree to access thier shelves and whilst it does shake a little, the base is sturdy enough to take it. All round I don't get these for the little toys that accompany them as to be honest they're not very well done as my lot rip them off in a matter of hours but for a tree to give them height and play off, its great however I would advise this as part of a set as one tree is never enough for your fur kids and the chance to make thier own routes is something that they love even more.

Afterglow Prismatic Wired Controller (Xbox One)
Afterglow Prismatic Wired Controller (Xbox One)

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but the brightness can get annoying, 28 Jan. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
OK, so you're looking at a cheaper controller without the hassle of having to buy the xbox adapter so you can utilise your favourite headphones so what are you going to do. Especially as the controllers eat batteries like they're going out of fashion.

So I decided to try a wired handset, which was this very item. OK so its not an official xbox controller but it does work well, the buttons are ergonomic and all round its a easy to use one especially with the scroll wheels on the back to help with moving the Edge on the xbox (the system that they use to use the internet.) The 3.6 jack allows use of your favourite headphones (and even the companies own version) and all in gives you good control as well as looking nice with the bright neon colours.

Well thats for about 30 minutes when it starts to get on your nerves as the brightness detracts from your gaming, makes your eyes go a little squiffy and means that if you want to change your seating position also means that you have to make sure that you keep it out of your eye line. Yes you can switch it off, but at the end of the day, surely it would have been better to either forego this or perhaps better put a dimmer switch in so that you can set the light to a level that suits.

All round its a solid enough controller and being wired means that you're limited to where you can sit as well as meaning that you have to make sure that you're careful around animals. Its a decent enough item and if you're getting one for kids who will be sitting near the screen anyway, probably will save you paying out for numerous batteries.

Its bright,

The Bands of Mourning: A Mistborn Novel
The Bands of Mourning: A Mistborn Novel
by Brandon Sanderson

4.0 out of 5 stars A book to savour, 28 Jan. 2016
As a long time fan of Brandon’s writing, I’m always amazed at a couple of things. Firstly that he has the ability to turn them out in such volume and secondly, that each book is exceedingly well written. Here in this, the latest book in his Mistborn series, the reader is treated to a new Steris and Wax tale which not only expands on what has gone before but allows them to continue on their journey of discovery.

Its definitely a quirky series, one that will speak volumes to fans of fantasy and whilst Brandon ‘s work is always good this one surpasses what I was expecting in a good way. It was a book that was delightful to spend time with. One that I had to really slow my reading with (as I was enjoying it so much) and one that I savoured every new detail with. Add to this top notch prose an unsurpassed use of pace as well as dialogue that trips from the page, generates a solid five star book that will really give this year a great start for many fantasy fans. Cracking.

Black Widow  (Jack Parlabane)
Black Widow (Jack Parlabane)
by Chris Brookmyre

4.0 out of 5 stars Crecking with genuine characters to care about, 28 Jan. 2016
OK, its been a while since I last read a book by Chris Brookmyre (Pandaemonium, 2009) so I was interested to see what he’d not only learned but also how his writing style would adjust to a different genre, after all to radically change from UF to Crime can be quite a shocker. However I shouldn’t have worried.

The writing was punchy, the prose sharp and when added to the authors no nonsense attitude to getting to the heart of the matter really works well for this type of title. I loved the way he brought the characters to life, making me genuinely care about their fates which when blended with a plotline that keeps you glued as information is gleamed all round makes this a book that will give you a hard time putting it down as your respect for tomorrow fades. Cracking.

The Witness
The Witness
by Simon Kernick

4.0 out of 5 stars A real treat to break in the new year, 28 Jan. 2016
This review is from: The Witness (Hardcover)
I love a good scare with a crime novel and Simon is an author that’s done that very well for me in the past. Here in his latest title he’s done it again with characters that stand out that generate a sense of unease within the reader each time they head towards a dangerous situation. Its definitely something that will pull at the heart strings, have you gasping for breath between some sequences and generates something that is, at times, just too hard to put down until you see that they’re alright.

Add to this a plotline that hooks you in, dialogue that trips off the page and all round I was a very happy reader. A real treat for a new year.

Pagan Night (The Hallowed War #1)
Pagan Night (The Hallowed War #1)
by Tim Akers

4.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly Enjoyable, 19 Jan. 2016
To be honest I was originally a little confused with this title as the US and the UK have two different series names for it (US: The Long Winter, UK: The Hallowed War). But a promise of an epic fantasy, old gods vs the new church as well as a civil war really does get not only the blood flowing but the mind as you’re being treated to something that really won’t let go.

The writing is crisp and whilst I know others have been upset with the maps at the books beginning, I tend to avoid that sort of thing until I have to look at them (although to be honest I think it would have been better to have it as an appendices rather than at the front.)

For me what really sells this book is Tim’s principle characters. They’re wonderfully described, backed up with solid dialogue as well as having flaws alongside traits that really allow them to breathe life into the world.

All round a book I thoroughly enjoyed and a good enough start to allow a hell of a lot more to happen in the future and with high death counts, more people to introduce as well as other points of view to add, its going to be one hell of a ride.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20