ARRAY(0xab670ec4)

Profile for Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog > Reviews

Content by Gareth Wilson ...
Top Reviewer Ranking: 391

Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata Times Blog"
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Exposure (Tory Brennan)
Exposure (Tory Brennan)
by Kathy Reichs
Price: 9.09

4.0 out of 5 stars The Virals Face Exposure, 18 April 2014
The latest YA Thriller from Kathy Reichs to continue the story of Tory Brennan and her pack and to be honest its become a guilty pleasure for me. I love the way that the author can bring together such a young cast that will appeal to older readers as well as the younger ones as she takes them into a world that she (the author) knows too well as crime thriller meets YA in this title.

Its fast paced, works extremely well with Kathy’s strengths and when added to the fact that the “virals” powers are burgeoning keeps the reader on the edge of their seats and the situations becomes more dire alongside the threat of exposure. All round a cracking read and one that is a definite recommendation for any YA reader looking for something cracking that could lead them into the world of adult fiction. Great stuff.

Age of Shiva
Age of Shiva
by James Lovegrove
Price: 7.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Not up to the others in the series, 18 April 2014
This review is from: Age of Shiva (Paperback)
The latest from James in his Age of series and whilst I’m a huge fan of whats gone before, this title left me a little flat. Don’t get me wrong I love the concepts that he brings to the fore in each of the books, but for me, this pantheon left me feeling a little flat as each of the incarnations really didn’t improve the tale to the standards to which I was expecting.

Yes the pace was just as lively as in previous titles, the principle storyteller working wonderfully well, but there felt like a massive separation between him and the deities that nothing seemed to bridge for me as a reader. Don’t get me wrong, James is definitely one of my favourite British Urban Fantasy authors but against other titles in this series this one feels like its one of the weakest for me. All round a great shame.

Moth and Spark
Moth and Spark
Price: 4.68

4.0 out of 5 stars Cracking debut, 18 April 2014
This review is from: Moth and Spark (Kindle Edition)
I’m a huge fan of fantasy and to be honest I’m always looking for something that break away from the conventions in their own ways. What occurs within this book is a story that not only hits the reader with a cracking story full of action and danger but also delivers a tale of emotional involvement as the principle characters develop from strangers to lovers out to face the world.

Its wonderfully inventive, the world building is solid and when the reader adds to this some good dialogue all round generates a story that will involve the reader on more than one level. All round a great read and I can’t wait to see what Anne hits back with next time.

The Art of Titanfall
The Art of Titanfall
by Andy McVittie
Price: 20.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful look into the VG Industry, 18 April 2014
This review is from: The Art of Titanfall (Hardcover)
I love the art of books published by Titan and whilst Titanfall was a game that I’d beta’d I was a little apprehensive about purchasing it until I saw this book. I loved the beautifully designed environments, loved the way that the story takes the reader from development through to the final product and when added to wonderful descriptions that help you travel the studio’s journey all round gave me something to not only smile about but something that really persuaded me that it was worth the purchase price.

Add to this some great creature developments, cracking titan design that gives the reader the inside scoop and all round I was more than pleased with the final product. Great stuff.

Girl Seven (Underground)
Girl Seven (Underground)
by Hanna Jameson
Price: 14.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Throughly Enjoyable, 18 April 2014
When I originally heard about this book I was more than intrigued, I liked the idea of a young girl taking the lead in a murder revenge story but for me, the main thing that needed doing was for the author to present a lead character that not only the reader could associate with but also was carefully balanced to be emotionally damaged after her ordeal. As a reader this was going to be a tough thing to accept and if this didn’t come off just right it would leave the reader in not only a sense of disbelief but also alienated from the rest of the story.

What Hanna brought to the fore was a character that hit the spot, backed up with good dialogue and of course a sense of pace that carried the story forward. That said the plot line was fairly simplistic and whilst there weren’t any surprises all round did give me a book that I enjoyed purely for the principle characters complexity.

The Lascar's Dagger: Book 1 of The Forsaken Lands
The Lascar's Dagger: Book 1 of The Forsaken Lands
by Glenda Larke
Price: 6.29

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite as good as I was expecting, 18 April 2014
I’ve been a fan of Glenda’s for quite a few years, I love the way she brings amazing fantasy worlds to the fore and adds not only cultures but individual characters that make the world a wonderful place to discover as they go about their quest. Here in her latest book is a story that opens into something that is not only imaginative but will feed the soul of fantasy readers the world over. Its compelling, it has some great concepts within and with a magic system that makes organic sense all round generates something special that you can get behind.

That said however there are problems with this book, first of all it is quite slow with a pace that never really gets going apart from around the principle character and when you add to this supporting cast members feel rather flat left me feeling a little cheated. Don’t get me wrong, I did enjoy a lot of the elements within however if the second title doesn’t fix these errors I won’t be reading the third.

Valour: Book Two of The Faithful and the Fallen (Faithful & the Fallen 2)
Valour: Book Two of The Faithful and the Fallen (Faithful & the Fallen 2)
by John Gwynne
Price: 10.39

4.0 out of 5 stars Real Reading Pleasure with a book thick enough to bludgeon those who disturb you., 18 April 2014
I love good solid fantasy and to be honest whilst recent years seems to have been more an attack of the US, Britain hits back with author John Gwynne who shows that we can produce complex fantasy with talent to spare. The prose is sharp, the pace works wonderfully well and when added to a whole cast of complex character that bring not only the world in which they inhabit to life but bring their own thoughts and desires to the reader with space to spare.

All round, this series is building into one of favourites of the last few years and to have an author who can produce a second book of high quality in good time and schedule shows that this author has a bright future. Great stuff.

Water Music (Clare Hart)
Water Music (Clare Hart)
by Margie Orford
Price: 11.69

4.0 out of 5 stars Glued to the last page, 18 April 2014
To be honest I’ve not Margi’s work before so I’m a new reader, but as a Crime fan I have to say that it hit the spots, taking me to a country that I don’t know much about. What occurs within, is a story that is not only chilling, dark and disturbing but one that really gets down into the reader psyche as the author generates a tale that will stay with you long after the final page is turned.

Back this up with great prose, some cracking pace and of course a lead character that readers will really get to grips with all round made this a book that I thoroughly enjoyed. I can’t wait to see what will happen next to Dr Hart. Great stuff.

Hannibal: Clouds of War (Hannibal 3)
Hannibal: Clouds of War (Hannibal 3)
by Ben Kane
Price: 7.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Well Written Tale on the Second Punic War, 18 April 2014
The latest excerpt from the Second Punic War time period where friends are placed on opposite sides of the battlefield. What Ben does extremely well is bring the past to life in such a way that modern readers can associate with it. It has great characterisation, solid cast members for both sides and of course prose that is sharper than the blades upon which thousands are to be thrown.

Add to this dialogue that really keeps you glued, pace that won’t let go and all round the reader really is in for something unique within this series. You really can’t put it down.

The Raven Queen (Feral Child)
The Raven Queen (Feral Child)
by Che Golden
Price: 6.29

4.0 out of 5 stars Rich Storytelling, 18 April 2014
There are times as a reader when you just can’t help but want to delve into the young adult world for a tale that gets back to the good old firelight story telling tradition of yesteryear. What Che does extremely well is bring the Tuatha to life for the younger reader bringing ancient tales to a modern audience as the young protagonists are placed on opposite sides of the board to the fae.

The storytelling is rich, the characters within bringing something for every young reader and of course are associable for them so that they can easily get to the heart of the matter. Back this up with some cracking plot twists as well as some sleight of hand that will leave them amazed and all round it’s a cracking experience.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20