Profile for Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog > Reviews

Content by Gareth Wilson ...
Top Reviewer Ranking: 404

Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata Times Blog"
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Blood Will Follow (The Valhalla Saga)
Blood Will Follow (The Valhalla Saga)
by Snorri Kristjansson
Price: 14.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Cracking Historical Fiction, 20 July 2014
The cracking second outing for Snorri’s principle characters as the curse from the original really starts to take its toll on our heroes. It’s wonderfully imaginative, has great prose and for anyone looking for some top notch action fiction , this series from Jo’s stable is definitely one I’d recommend.

Add to this cracking pace, solid action sequences and characters that you really can’t wait to spend time around and all round I was a more than happy reader. Great stuff.

A Curious Guide to London
A Curious Guide to London
by Simon Leyland
Price: 6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A Bathroom Book of Mystery, 20 July 2014
Ah, the glories of what I like to term as a “Bathroom book.” Something you can delve into that is full on not only fascinating tidbits of London’s weird facts but something that will entertain as well as fascinate the reader. For me, I love finding out the weird and wonderful, the unusual, the stranger than fiction facts and for me this book is something that as a writer I’m keeping on hand for inspiration.

It’s quirky, its wonderfully laid out and all round a book that will make a wonderful gift to anyone from London or has an interest in the different. Cracking.

Inquest
Inquest
by Paul Carson
Price: 7.19

4.0 out of 5 stars Sharp Prose and Key Character I loved spending time with, 20 July 2014
This review is from: Inquest (Paperback)
I love a story that tries something different and for me this thriller by Paul Carson delivered as I was taken into an Ireland that had a realistic backstory that brought modern history to the fore alongside generating a read that was not only gripping but something that was nigh impossible to put down.

The prose was sharp, the key character someone that I was more than happy to share headspace with and all round allowed me to delve into something that I wouldn’t normally have given reading time to as I’m not really a fan of modern history. All round a great piece of writing and definitely an author I’ll keep an eye on for future releases.

The Late Scholar (Lord Peter Wimsey)
The Late Scholar (Lord Peter Wimsey)
by Jill Paton Walsh
Price: 7.82

2.0 out of 5 stars OK but not really for me., 20 July 2014
OK, I’m a new reader to the series so whilst this review is based upon Jill’s writing, I can’t say that I can speak for fans of the series written by Dorothy. Firstly, whilst I do realise that the characters have appeared in multiple novels before, I did feel that they were more a stereotype rather than something designed more for the modern reader, being characters more for the time period to which they were created written rather than a number of modern day counterparts that a number of readers will expect.

They are solid enough and whilst for me dated, they did give me a story that was a little different to my norm. It was an adventure, it was something that worked for me and whilst I probably won’t be revisiting for quite some time, was a book that I was pleased that I tackled as it gave me something to mull over whilst reading newer set crime titles. All round an interesting bit of fun but for me, not something I’ll be returning to any time soon.

Mirror Sight
Mirror Sight
by Kristen Britain
Price: 11.64

2.0 out of 5 stars Massive Character change, 20 July 2014
This review is from: Mirror Sight (Paperback)
I’ve been a huge fan of Kristen’s Green Rider series, so every time I get the chance to return to her imaginative and wonderfully developed world you’ll find me shutting out the real world to embark on the latest adventure.

So sitting back with my reading supplies, I couldn’t wait to see what the pages held in store. Yet for all this, I couldn’t help but think what the hell had happened to the principle character. She’d changed drastically and whilst I originally thought perhaps I was remembering her wrong a reread of what has come before proved to me that Kristen was trying to fit more into what’s popular within the genre rather than what the readers bought her books for in the first place.

Add to this a plotline that felt flat, a convoluted overall arc and all round I was greatly disappointed. I really hope that this will be rectified in future outings.

Terra (Terra 1)
Terra (Terra 1)
by Mitch Benn
Price: 6.10

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Find., 20 July 2014
This review is from: Terra (Terra 1) (Paperback)
I know the name of the author but to be honest I’m not that familiar with his humour so to be honest his celeb status really wasn’t anything to me. I read this book knowing nothing of him and to be honest what I read was a book that brought some warm humour, played with the expected Sci-Fi tropes and then wrapped it all up with a fun new look at a strange world through the eyes of the human.

It’s definitely fun, it has something for readers of all ages (young as well as old) and also is something that I found to be warm, engrossing as well as entertaining. All round a book that I was pleased to read and I’ll definitely look forward to other instalments. A great find.

Under a Silent Moon (Detective Inspector Louisa Smith)
Under a Silent Moon (Detective Inspector Louisa Smith)
by Elizabeth Haynes
Price: 6.36

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but just average, 20 July 2014
OK, as a reader, when I find an author I like, I make a note of their name so when a new title comes out, they make it further up the TBR list to be tackled sooner rather than later. (After all why begin with starters when you can go straight for the chocolate cake. LOL)

So having read Elizabeth’s writing before I couldn’t wait to see what her latest investigation novel would bring, after all I liked the principle character, loved the way that she set the story up and then also brought to the table solid police investigative techniques. Expecting more of the same from this, her latest, I couldn’t wait to get started, however upon concluding, I found that it didn’t advance the character for me, she didn’t grow and overall felt a little bit flatter than the first. All round, it’s an OK book however without the growth I was hoping for it was just average.

Sea of Stone (Fire & Ice)
Sea of Stone (Fire & Ice)
by Michael Ridpath
Price: 9.09

4.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't Put Down, 20 July 2014
The latest Magnus Jonson title and this time our detective hero is the key suspect in the murder investigation of his grandfather. Its definitely a book that will glue the reader as we glimpse the investigation from the other side of the case and when added to some cracking sleight of hand, top notch twists and solid police work, the reader is really in for a special treat.

Back this up with great prose, wonderful pace and of course that delightfully bleak landscape all round generates a story that is nigh impossible to put down. Cracking.

Infidel: Bel Dame Apocrypha (Bel Dame Apocrypha 2)
Infidel: Bel Dame Apocrypha (Bel Dame Apocrypha 2)
by Kameron Hurley
Price: 8.89

4.0 out of 5 stars Cracking Science Fiction, 20 July 2014
Having loved Kameron’s first book, God’s War, I couldn’t wait to see what he’d hit back with next and boy, was I in for a treat as I opened the title. There’s solid combat, great twists and when added to a principle character that the readers will love to spend time around who for all her lethality has a dependency on alcohol, all round made her feel quite approachable.

Add to this great pace, solid prose and more than a twist or two all round game me a book that really didn’t let me catch my breath. Magic.

Josephine: Desire, Ambition, Napoleon
Josephine: Desire, Ambition, Napoleon
by Kate Williams
Price: 6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Escapee of the Guilotine and thats just for starters, 20 July 2014
To be honest this was a book that I became interested in purely for the fact that I wanted to read up a little bit more from the female point of view in the French Revolution and whilst I was fully aware of Napoleon during this time, I really didn’t know anything about his first wife Josephine (or rather Marie Josèphe Rose (her birth name.)

So whilst I had originally picked this up on a whim to learn more, what I managed to obtain from this book was a figure of strong womanhood, who not only managed to change herself like a chameleon to suit her social status’ but also managed to escape the guillotine a fete in itself. She was charismatic, she was a fascinating character and whilst many tend to think that Napoleon was the power in the relationship, in reality it was more an equal footing for both.

All round this book not only kept me glued but when backed up with solid research which is presented in an easy to follow manner, all round I was hooked from the first chapter onwards. Great stuff.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20