Profile for Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog > Reviews

Content by Gareth Wilson ...
Top Reviewer Ranking: 498

Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata Times Blog"
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Defiant Unto Death (Master of War)
Defiant Unto Death (Master of War)
by David Gilman

4.0 out of 5 stars Just can't get enough of Blackstone., 16 May 2015
The second book from David in his cracking Master of War series and one that I’ve been waiting for for what feels like forever. Not that I’m an impatient reader but when you get treated to a story that really resonates, that gives you a principle hero that you love spending time around as well as a lead character that has to struggle to make his own way in the world all round gives me a book that I just can’t put down.

Yet whilst the first is the announcement, it’s the second that sets the pace for whether a writer can be an author as they have to stick to deadlines and produce a title of the same level of quality as a book that they may have spent years on polishing to within an inch of its life. Here a great many writers fail and sink without a trace but when an author rises, the second novel for me is the one that chooses how far up the TBR pile they start.

For me, David not only matched the quality of the original but for me exceeded it. I loved the way that Thomas carries on growing as the tale unfurls. The supporting cast is crisp and when added to an overall arc that really keeps the story moving at quite a clip, I’m more than a happy reader. Great stuff.

Lord of Ashes (Steelhaven: Book Three) (Steelhaven 3)
Lord of Ashes (Steelhaven: Book Three) (Steelhaven 3)
by Richard Ford

4.0 out of 5 stars Absoutely cracking series, 16 May 2015
I’ve pretty much enjoyed this cracking series by Richard Ford since I picked up the original and with each successive novel the author has not only managed to help grow the world in wonderfully vivid colour but also presented characters that expand with it. Its definitely a great piece of solid writing, the prose is sharp and when you get to the action sequence s they really take your breath away. All round a series that I can’t get enough of and one that will be at the top of my TBR pile for quite some time to come.

Day Shift (Midnight Texas 2)
Day Shift (Midnight Texas 2)
by Charlaine Harris

2.0 out of 5 stars Just didn't work for me, 16 May 2015
Whilst I’ve dearly loved a lot of Charlaine’s work there is something about this Midnight series that just doesn’t work for me. The sentences feel stunted, the characters flat and all round left me feeling that this was a person writing under a famed name only slightly changed.

For me as a reader I disliked the characters, hated the prose and all round felt more than a little cheated by spending quality reading time on a book that let me down. Sadly a series I won’t be reading any more titles in and here’s hoping that as a reader that the next set of texts by Charlaine will make up for my loss of trust.

The Book of Phoenix
The Book of Phoenix
by Nnedi Okorafor

4.0 out of 5 stars Pure reading pleasure, 16 May 2015
This review is from: The Book of Phoenix (Hardcover)
I’ve had the pleasure of reading Nnedi’s work before and for me she is an author who always manages to bring a beautiful story to the reader. The descriptions are wonderful and with top notch prose as well as characters that you want to spend time around, all round generates a tale that is nigh impossible to put down.

Add to this an identifiable writing style and an overall arc that will make you smile as well as believe and you really can’t ask for more. An absolutely cracking title and one I’m recommending to a good few others.

Looking For Madeleine
Looking For Madeleine
by Anthony Summers

1.0 out of 5 stars Biased and completely misrepresented, 16 May 2015
This review is from: Looking For Madeleine (Paperback)
To be honest, if you’re interested in the Madeleine McCann cae and you want an unbiased review of the whole case then you really don’t want this book. The authors sadly side with the family right from the get go and continue to not flag up inconsistancies throughout their “investigation.”

Its a book that feels more like a propaganda statement for the family rather than anything to present the facts in the manner in which the novel is portrayed in the description. All round, pretty much an epic fail for me as a reader and one that I want to make others aware of so that they can borrow it from the library (if they have to read it.)

The Shield of Kuromori (Sword of Kuromori 2)
The Shield of Kuromori (Sword of Kuromori 2)
by Jason Rohan

4.0 out of 5 stars A pure joy for young readers, 16 May 2015
I llike to spend my time reading and whilst I’ve always had a love of reading trying to find books that will appeal to young readers, so I can, at times, be found reading some YA titles so that I can pass the torch on. Whilst this is Jason’s second novel, I found it quite easy to get into, I loved the way that the two principle characters give each other strength and whilst you’d think that it was primarily a book for boys, there’s enough here to appeal to the female market as well.

All round a good bit of fun and a title that I was pleased that I took the time to read. Add solid adventure into the mix and solid dialogue and there’s plenty here to hook your young reader in a big way.

Echopraxia (Firefall)
Echopraxia (Firefall)
by Peter Watts

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but flat for me, 16 May 2015
This review is from: Echopraxia (Firefall) (Paperback)
OK, this is the second book by Peter Watts in his Firefall series and to be honest one that I found a little flat compared to the original release which for me I found distracting. Firstly I wasn’t a huge fan of the principle character and that always makes a book a struggle to read when I don’t feel that I have that personal connection as I really don’t care if they live or die and whilst I loved the concepts that stretched evolution I thought that it was well planned, especially as with mankind’s dabbling there are some very serious repercussions.

Add to this some dialogue that felt fairly flat and almost as if it dragged and all round I really wasn’t a fan. Sadly for me, its not a series I’ll be returning to any time soon at the moment although if the mood takes you for some serious Science Fiction technological modifications then you will more than likely enjoy it.

At the Ruin of the World
At the Ruin of the World
by John Henry Clay

4.0 out of 5 stars Top notch historical fiction, 16 May 2015
Whilst a lot of historical authors tend to focus on Rome at the height of its power John Henry has created a tale where the ancient state is close to collapse just prior to the rise of the Holy Roman Empire. Here within this book readers are thrust into this turbulent time where living is hard and death is easy as we follows the lives of four principle characters over a period of their lives. Its heart wrenching in places, gives the reader a chance to sit back and see how the world changing events unfurl as each seeks to survive and further their own ideals/policies and by the culmination of each generates repercussions that history will take note of.

Its definitely a book that was a pure pleasure to sit back and read with an author who not only clearly loved his subject matter but presents it in such a way that you can’t help but sit there glued to the events and when you add characters that you care about all round gives you a new series that will stay with readers long after the final pages are turned. A definitely joy to read and a world I’ll definitely be returning to in the future.

Hexed: The Sisters of Witchdown
Hexed: The Sisters of Witchdown
by Michael Alan Nelson

4.0 out of 5 stars Good fun for readers young and old, 16 May 2015
I love books that try something not only new but also quite novel and whilst this is based on a graphic novel series (by the author) I’ve not had the pleasure of reading them so this was to be my first foray in Michael’s work.

What the book delivers is a title that has solid worldbuilding, a touch of Gaiman’s Neverwhere and when added to storytelling that just trips off the page, generates a story that is quite addictive. Back this all up with a lead character that has many facets for the reader to not only associate with but gives them a tale that old and young readers alike with enjoy and all round I have to say that I’m not quite a fan.

Philips DVT2700 Voice Tracer Digital Recorder with Speech Recognition Software and 2 Microphone Stereo Recording

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but has a few flaws., 16 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
OK, this is qutie a pricey product and to be honest with me doing a few reviews I thought that it would be good to be able to just dicate what I thought and then have the software do all the hard work (yep, I'm lazy like that. LOL) So whilst it took me quite a while to set up the software, the recorder was quite easy to do so. OK, so it wasn't plain sailing and the instructions were pretty poor but the quality I got from the recording was good enough to me to be able to use it for what I wanted. But for me at the price it was I did expect charge up batteries through the USB port rather than having to keep a ready supply of AAA's in.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20