Profile for Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog > Reviews

Content by Gareth Wilson ...
Top Reviewer Ranking: 404

Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata Times Blog"
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Edupet Cat Toy Scratchy, Silver
Edupet Cat Toy Scratchy, Silver

3.0 out of 5 stars ... item is a lil higher priced than I would like, it is pretty basic, 22 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I think this item is a lil higher priced than I would like, it is pretty basic, the cats love the rolling ball, and the ball on a coiled piece of metal. the only problem is they are chewing the metal so when I go out of the room I will remove it for safety. nice size not too big.

Shatterwing: Dragon Wine 1
Shatterwing: Dragon Wine 1

4.0 out of 5 stars Great First novel, 17 Nov 2014
The first title in the series and whilst its only out in Australia, I was lucky enough to be contacted about it by the publisher as they thought that I’d love the story. Whilst I’m generally a little apprehensive, I do love to try books that are popular in other countries as for me I always feel that they have something to add that I may not come across.

What unfurls within is a tale of daring, of courage and of course with a kickass plot alongside dragons. I mean come on, Dragons, who doesn’t love them? Yet what Donna brings to the table with this is a scientific understanding of the creatures and generates enough believable plausibility to leave the reader looking at the sky’s wondering why they aren’t up there gliding around.

The characters are solid, the pace wonderful and when added to some good dialogue all round leaves this as an opener that will more than please the reader. Magic.

Skywatcher: Dragon Wine 2
Skywatcher: Dragon Wine 2

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid second outing, 17 Nov 2014
OK, the second book from the DragonWine series by Aussie author Donna Maree Hanson and to be honest having loved the first I had high hopes for this one. What occurs within is a tale of cracking heroism, top notch action which when backed with some solid characters all round gave me a reading experience that I had a lot of fun with.

Whilst some of the characters felt a little flat, it is the principle characters that come across wonderfully well and with a lot of the hardwork in their placement done in the original novel, this one is opened up just for their emotional aspects as well as to further the plot. For many readers the first book is the key title that announces them to the reader yet for me, it’s the second book that’s the teller about the author as with this one they have to work with deadlines, extend plots and of course make sure that enough happens within the book so that it doesn’t allow the series to either stall until the third part or just act as a filler for a project that was really only intended for two. Whilst that hasn’t occurred with this book, I did feel that a lot of the magic of the explanations of the original were lost within this one which tended to gloss over the facts that had been presented before rather than reinforce them.

All round a solid second title and one that will keep me reading for the third.

Kerbl Cat House Toskana, 58 x 58 x 76 cm
Kerbl Cat House Toskana, 58 x 58 x 76 cm

3.0 out of 5 stars OK outside fun for kitties however not sure on its lifespan., 16 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
To be honest as a fan of cat tree's (I already have six) I picked this up as I thought that it was something to keep inside for them to play with and whilst its intention is to be an outside prodcut, my kitties love playing with it in the home.

OK, so it was a bit of a pain to put together but the sheer pleasure the kitties have on this is well worth the extra effort. All round a solid enough product however if it was to be kept outside I'm not sure on how long it would last.

Garmin Large Vivosmart Activity Tracker with Smart Notification - Blue
Garmin Large Vivosmart Activity Tracker with Smart Notification - Blue

4.0 out of 5 stars Check phone compatibility before purchase., 16 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
OK, this I a product I selected as I wanted to work out my calorie burn so that I could make sure that at Christmas I didn’t over indulge and whilst the blurb says all sorts of good things, there are a few things that I wanted to bring up for people before they purchase it.
1) Make sure that it works with your phone before purchase. There are a number of devices that it can be troublesome with.
2) If you have any sort of problem wearing bands (such as watches) this may not be the product for you. My allergy played up after wearing this for just a few hours.

Right, so now that’s out of the way, lets get to the key points of this device. It’s a waterproof band that pairs with your phone and keeps track of a number of things including when you’ve been inactive for a certain amount of time which then vibrates to let you know that you need to walk about for a few minutes so that it’ll reset.

It also keeps the data on display so that you can easily check it and helps set goals for the day. Its an easy way to help start a more motivated way to help you lose weight without having to resort to expensive gym membership and is a good way to help you get started into a healthier lifestyle.

All round it is a solid product and one that I think a lot of people will like as it helps you feel like you’re more in control with how things are working out daily for yourself. Its charge lasts a good while and when added to an online function where you can join others with the same goals as you helps you feel constantly motivated. A great product all round.

First Scream to the Last
First Scream to the Last
by Adrian Roe

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for horror fans, 9 Nov 2014
As a child of the 80's I was raised on horror films, or rather to be more particular the sub-genre entitled Video Nasties (some of which were hunted for by Greater Manchester Police) by my Dad who Mum said was "too scared to watch them on his own."

As such these felt like bonding time between us and as I watched the zombies munch their way through a small town, or monsters butching their way through the teenage population it was something that we shared.

So as a huge fan of a lot of these films, I was always surprised that no one tackled a book on the subject, that was until now. Here in Adrians novel, is a set of not only amazing horror movie facts but also interesting information such as the budget of the film vs the gross. Full of fun and with reminders of films that I had so much pleasure watching, this title took me back to my childhood and of course in the modern age of DVD's has given me a great playlist to pick up for the Holiday period. Add to this interviews with some of the stars as well as one with Horror Master Wes Craven, all fans of the genre will have a treat in store. A very well written book, hope to see more by this author

Wolf of Sigmar (Time of Legends)
Wolf of Sigmar (Time of Legends)
by C. L. Werner

4.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoying this series, 9 Nov 2014
A title that I’ve been meaning to get round to for quite some time as I’ve been enjoying the tale around the Ratkin and how they almost brought the empire down with the plague. As with Clint’s other work, he knows how to get to the meat of the matter, carefully blending high octane action with political double dealing keeping both in equal measure so that one doesn’t overpower the other.

It’s a tricky balance to maintain and when added to solid prose and a pace that really keeps you glued, all round allows the reader to have a cracking story well told. Great stuff.

Death Sentences: Stories of Deathly Books, Murderous Booksellers and Lethal Literature
by Otto Penzler

4.0 out of 5 stars Cracking Crime Fiction, 9 Nov 2014
As a reader who loves to spend time enjoying a good crime story it can sometimes be really frustrating when you’re trying to enjoy a tale and keep an eye on the facts as they’re laid out and you have to take a break to either get back to work or to put the title down so that you can make your stop.

Here, Otto, once again brings together a whole host of cracking tales, by top notch authors allowing readers to have something that will give them that crime hit on a break or a journey without having to take any stops. In addition to this for me, this is also a great opportunity to read authors who you may of heard of but worried about the financial outlay in order to get the maximum pleasure for your money. All round a great offering and one that really will be cracking for Crime Fans in the UK as well as becoming a top notch gift for Christmas this year.

FIRES OF MAN (Psionic Earth)
FIRES OF MAN (Psionic Earth)
by D LEVINSON

3.0 out of 5 stars I preferred the villain, 9 Nov 2014
To be honest this is a book that’s taken me a little while to write the review for. Its one that sadly I put on a back burner as for me I didn’t feel that the book blurb was strong enough to move it up the TBR pile and boy that was a mistake.

What occurs within is a book that has some top notch high octane action which when blended with some cracking prose alongside pace really demonstrates that Dan knows how to craft a good book. Added to the mix solid dialogue and all round you know that it’s a book with all the right ingredients to keep readers happy.

The concept within of a psi-war in an alternate earth works very well although at the ned of the day, had I had a choice, I’d have preferred to stick with the tales principle villain as I loved the way he came across. That said, all round though its still a cracking title and one that is an opening that will have a good few readers glued. It’ll be interesting to see what occurs next.

The World According to Spider-Man
The World According to Spider-Man
by Daniel Wallace

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great stocking filler, 9 Nov 2014
Ah, the chance to spend time with Spidey is always time well spent and as a huge fan of the Marvel world anything that gives me chance to delve in there is an opportunity grabbed with both hands.

Here in this title, we get a fun book that is really aimed more at the young reader market with cracking pullouts and additional cards within that will give the reader a whole host of items to keep them glued. Its fun, it has some cracking asides and when it pokes a little bit of fun into the world of the superhero all round makes this a book that is a pure joy to read. In fact, with another couple of these titles coming out shortly, I’d definitely advise you to stash these to one side for stocking fillers. I know that I have and that I have nephews who will be really excited when they find them on Christmas morning.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20