Profile for Pete A > Reviews

New York
New York
by Edward Rutherfurd

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Read, 31 Oct. 2010
This review is from: New York (Paperback)
Firstly I have to say don't be intimidated by the size of this book! (even at over 1000 pages). I had visited New York City about 3 years ago and was fascinated by the idea that someone had written a book charting the history of this truly wonderful city, using ficitonal characters. Whilst, as in some other reviews have stated, that not every fact contained within this novel is strictly historically correct this did not deter me from realising just what a great book this is. To hold anyones attention for this length of book is somewhat masterful on the part of the author. At no point did I feel I wanted to give up or speed read as it is such an interesting book.
The book charts the history of New York through roughly 350 years, taking into account all of the well known incidents in this city as well as some less well known. It is told through the eyes of 5 different families who all make their own different way within this exciting city and it gives a fictional account of each of these families lives but relating to real life events. Now I am the first to admit that I am not usually a reader of historical fiction such as this but I had heard such great things about both this author and this book that I decided to give it a try. That is a decision I will never ever regret as I truly loved this book and put it amongst my top ten. It would certainly encourage me to read more of Edward Rutherfurd's books. If you are perhaps sceptical that a book this length or of this genre could hold your attention from start to finish then I would say don't hesitate to buy it. It is a great read!

I Am Ozzy
I Am Ozzy
by Ozzy Osbourne

5.0 out of 5 stars Only One Ozzy, 3 Nov. 2009
This review is from: I Am Ozzy (Hardcover)
I am proud to say that I was an Ozzy fan many years before he burst onto our MTV screens. So I appreciated his music long before The Osbournes.What I like about Ozzy is not only did his music (solo and Black Sabbath) define heavy metal he is also a very honest, passionate man. I have waited a long time for his autobiography but it has definately been worth the wait. The thing with Ozzy is that he doesn't try to be something he's not and he doesn't try to cover any of his previous actions up. What I mean to say is that some rock stars would try to cover up the fact that they had tried to strangle their wife, had hit their wife, taken all the illegal drugs they could possibly get their hands on or drunk enough alcohol to sink a navy ship, but Ozzy doesn't. In fact he does the opposite, he goes into great detail of how all these events occurred. Yes he has done some horrendous things in his life, but in this book he admits to all of them and doesn't spare any details. He also possesses an extremely emotional streak when talking about the death of his parents.
If you have liked Ozzy since his early days you will find this an extremely entertaining account of his rock n roll life. Even if you aren't a fan it will prove to be a very entertaining,funny account of one of the world's greatest rockstar's!

Guitar For Dummies
Guitar For Dummies
by Mark Phillips

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for beginners like me, 25 May 2009
This review is from: Guitar For Dummies (Paperback)
Well I was one of the many people in this world who always wanted to play the guitar ever since I was a kid. Now at the age of 28 I decided to take the plunge and buy my first guitar. I must admit I was apprehensive as I thought I wouldn't have a clue what I was doing. Well I was right in that I didn't know what to do but this book lays it out in such simple form that even I,who previously had zero musical talent can now play simple guitar. The book is very well laid out and is very simple to understand.The normal dose of humour that is a custom with "For Dummies" book helps to further lighten the mood. So I can after 1 month or so play a variety of chords, play some scales and even play some simple tunes. Thanks to the authors of this book for helping me realise my dream of being able to play the guitar and I look forward to the rest of the book. Buy this book now you wont be disappointed!

Dead Simple
Dead Simple
by Peter James

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Detective Novel, 20 Jan. 2009
This review is from: Dead Simple (Paperback)
Admittedly Peter James was a new author on me. It came as a recommendation from Amazon as I have purchased books by Stuart Macbride in the past. Firstly I must congratulate Amazon on their idea that I may find these books interesting if I had previously read Stuart Macbride. People must take notice of their suggestions. Anyway now to deal with this book. I had previously found out that Peter James has been a very gifted screenwriter and horror writer for many years so was interested to find out how he dealt with what is quintessentially a detective novel. Well I must say I was pleasantly surprised. The story is based around a stag do prank that goes incredibly wrong in every possible way. The groom gets shut in a coffin and buried alive and that's all I will say on that bit as I don't wish to spoil your experience of the book. Many people who have reviewed this book online and have criticised it as there are simply too many coincidences that occur to make it a decent read. Well I would completely and utterly disagree with this assumption and would encourage people to give it a whirl as I thought it made the book unputdownable. I think the main ingredient you have to have to make a good detective novel is a main character that you can empathise with. Peter has done an excellent job with his creation of the fallible Roy Grace. He comes with a heap load of baggage and despair throughout his life and this makes him a very likeable character. He gets things done but not necessarily in the right manner .
Although I kind of guessed who was behind the problems encountered by the groom I didn't guess it bang on and it didn't deter me from finishing the book in any way. I especially liked the ending for the way that it is possibly one of the best action sequences I have ever read within this genre of novels. In conclusion I would definitely recommend reading this book and if you enjoy it as much as I did you won't waste any time at all in buying the sequels in this series.

Worst Fears Realized
Worst Fears Realized
by Stuart Woods
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Business as Usual, 30 Dec. 2008
Let me start by saying that I think it is important to read the Stone Barrington series of books in order as I have done as they loosely follow on from each other and it tends to be easier to understand when the author refers to previous happenings.
I was lucky enough to accidentally find out about the author Stuart Woods in a second hand book shop. It was the first in the Stone Barrington series that I found and I must say I have never looked back. There is just something about this series of books that is just sensational.Whenever I open one up I just cant shut it again and this one is no exception.The novel centres around, of course, Stone Barrington, retired cop, casual lawyer and woman collector. This time people start getting murdered more or less from the outset, but differently they tend to be people that are close to Stone himself.Help comes in the unlikely form of a Mafioso who also happens to be his best friend Dino's father in law. Of course Dino is thrown into the fray being a detective in the NYPD and it builds into a very fast paced,interesting detective novel.
There are sequences in this novel that really make you grimace even though you know there are going to be murders some of the ways people die are quite gross.Having said that there are also plenty of points in the book that make you laugh out loud. Particularly Dino's driving skills where he has blatant disregard for his or anybody elses safety and drives so fast that even Stone is scared stiff.I think it may be the way this author writes these sequences as I find them absolutely hilarious!
This novel moves on at an alarming pace and never really lets up. It would be very easy, time permitting, to read this book in one go, it is that good.It has certainly made me want to read the whole series of Stone Barrington books of which I believe there are currently 17. In closing I would definately recommend this book but would breath a word of caution that if you havent read any of the others in the series, then Book 1 "New York Dead" would be abetter place to start

The Tales of Beedle the Bard, Standard Edition
The Tales of Beedle the Bard, Standard Edition
by J. K. Rowling

3.0 out of 5 stars Short but entertaining, 22 Dec. 2008
I am afraid I am on the fence with this one so will probably upset people who automatically think that because J K Rowling wrote this book it is perfect in every way. Well I would agree that she is indeed a fantastic author and what she has done for resurging peoples (children's especially) interest in reading is nothing short of incredible. However I do see this particular book of hers as a stop gap between the Harry Potter series and the highly anticipated novel that she has promised as her next work. For a start this book is oh so short and subsequently I took less than an hour to read it. Yes ok I am of the age where I can read relatively quickly but this book was over just too soon after it began. I didn't really have a problem with the stories in the book as we have come to know what to expect from Mrs Rowling and they provided a decent dose of entertainment. But I did have a problem with the comments that were after each story. They were supposedly an insight into the origins of the story by Albus Dumbledore himself but for me they just served as a mindless ramble just to fill up the pages. As I said before, I thought the stories were very good themselves but I feel the book could have been half the length and without the said Dumbledore commentary. I didn't feel it really added to the stories and would have preferred that instead of these there had been some more stories or the ones that were there could have had some more flesh added. Anyway I still give J K enormous credit for what she has done for the literary world even if, for me this book falls only slightly wide of the mark.

Body Rides
Body Rides
by Richard Laymon
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply a Great Book, 22 Dec. 2008
This review is from: Body Rides (Mass Market Paperback)
Having read around 20 of Richard Laymons novels I now know what to expect and this one is no different. The book centres around Neil Darden who is simply going around minding his own business, returning a video to the video store when he comes across a woman in trouble, a lot of trouble. He manages to save her from the clutches of an evil man who is intent on killing her and so begins the story. In thanks for saving her she gives Neil a bracelet, a magic bracelet.
Now when I read the premise for this story I must admit that even though I had read countless books by this author, I wasn't entirely sure whether I would enjoy it or not. I really didn't see how it was going to work or how it would hold my attention. However I must have temporarily forgotten just how good Richard Laymon is. This book is simply brilliant and certainly held my attention and even made for some very late nights. To be honest he is so good at writing I think Laymon could probably take the most boring story ever and still make it interesting it's just a pity he is longer with us. I hasten to add that this is not in the least a boring story. Laymon does what he does best and puts people in simply frightening situations and certainly keeps you on the edge of your seat through the entire length of the book. Alot of authors find it hard to keep a constant pace up but Laymon has no problem with this, it just never slows down. The more you read it the more you want to read it. You want to know what happens next, you want to know what the characters are going to do or how they are going to battle with their inner selfs to reach their goal.
Anyway if you have read Laymon's novels before and are not sure if you would enjoy this story then as a Laymon addict I can tell you, you won't be disappointed. Also if you haven't read any of his books before this would be a good place to start as you will be introduced to the greatest Horror writer of our time.

Midnight Club: Los Angeles (PS3)
Midnight Club: Los Angeles (PS3)

2.0 out of 5 stars No Enjoyment To Be Had, 3 Dec. 2008
Believe me I really wanted to enjoy this game but just couldn't. That is the summing up in one sentence, games are made to enable people to enjoy themselves and I am afraid this game fails on most levels. Sure the graphics are very impressive I will give them that but the gameplay is awful. As someone had mentioned in a previous review there is just no realism to the game. I mean it quite obviously slips up right from the start when you find that from the outset your 25 year old VW Golf GTI can beat practically anything and that includes a modern day Skyline which in itself to an avid car fan like me is absurd. The other part of this game that contributes to its downfall is the repetitiveness. Yes I know many people will argue that there is only so much you can do with this type of game but this game is quite simply pitiful in this sense. You get a car, you race the car, you race again, you get money, you can buy a better car. Well so what when the first car you get can beat anything else into the ground anyway. I found this circular motion of gameplay so boring I couldn't have cared less about getting a better car because I didn't want to play it long enough.
Now Rockstar are well known as the developer who created the simply sublime GTA IV but if were them I would be quite embarrassed to tell people that I made this game. That may be a harsh comment but when you remember that this game was at least 6 months overdue when it came out then there can be little sympathy. Ok if the game had benefitted from the extra development time then that would not be a fair comment but alas it hasn't. In conclusion this is a very weak game with little or no enjoyment to be had and if you are desperate to play a game where you race round the streets at ludicrous speeds use your copy of GTA IV cause that is a far superior game with a far greater dose of fun to be had.

Arctic Drift
Arctic Drift
by Clive Cussler

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Adventures, 1 Dec. 2008
This review is from: Arctic Drift (Hardcover)
Okay so I will freely admit that I am thoroughly addicted to reading Clive Cussler Books. To me this book shows the very welcome return of Cusslers orginal and in my opinion,best duo, Dirk Pitt & Al Giordino. This time they are up against a billionaire environmental philanthropist, well seemingly so as he of course turns out to be anything but. The pace of this book never lets up as there is always something exciting going on. Boats disappear, boats blow up and a whole menagerie of people get murdered in the midst or should I say in the mist (read the book and you will work out what I mean). Anyway the book is as always well structured and well thought out with a good amount of historical value thrown into boot, so does this book have everything? Well yes it does as it simply takes no effort to hold your attention at a constant 100%. I dare say that if time had permitted I could have easily read this book from cover to cover without stopping. I like many other Cussler fans am glad to see Dirk Pitt and his trusty sidekick Al Giordino back as the main characters in this book. I have been worried that he would gradually phase out his original dynamic duo in favour of Dirk's children Dirk Junior and Summer but it seems that this is not totally the case. This in itself indicates to me a pattern in Cussler's own life of him maybe winding down his involvement in the books. It is well known that his son now forms one of his writing partnerships and Cussler senior is now perhaps passing on his adventure writing mantle to him in much the same sense as Dirk Pitt Senior is passing on his adventure skills to his two children. Nor is this the only similarity between real life and fiction. It is also very well known amongst Cussler fans that he actually fronts NUMA in real life and this gives him a distinct advantage over other authors in that he is using his own personal experiences as a platform for his novels. This does not distract from the fact that his books are also very well researched and as stated earlier gives a pleasant historical backup to the main story. Yes there maybe a bit of wild imagination thrown into his books at times but to me it just adds to the story and this book will definitely get you thinking "What If". There are only a couple of regrets with this book and that is that I have finished it and that Mr Cussler doesn't write faster. Buy this book without delay, you wont be disappointed!

Beijing 2008 (PS3)
Beijing 2008 (PS3)
Offered by Bridge_Records

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY, 31 Aug. 2008
This review is from: Beijing 2008 (PS3) (Video Game)
Why is it that people who make these games seem to fail on every single one. The controls on this are awful. I actually tore the palm of my hand open playing on one of the running events. The other option is to button bash which makes me think back to my days of playing Daley Thompsons Decathlon on the ZX Spectrum.That says it all the controls on this game were rubbish 20 years ago so button basher games like this still suck now, so why not create a new control set? The fact that this game is actually very hard and as I have also said the controls are terrible there is absolutely no fun to be had in playing it. I only hope that in 2012 an olympics game is made that we can be as proud of as we are of Team GB in 2008.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3