Profile for zomalo > Reviews

Content by zomalo

zomalo

Little Egypt (Salt Modern Fiction)
Little Egypt (Salt Modern Fiction)
Price: 3.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating and Captivating, 30 April 2014
The family background of this novel is intriguing and the characters stayed with me for days afterward. Another great Glaister novel.

After Life (Nancy Pearl's Book Lust Rediscoveries)
After Life (Nancy Pearl's Book Lust Rediscoveries)
Price: 3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic treatment of a compelling subject, 30 April 2014
I loved the atmosphere of this novel and wish I could have gone on reading. When will Ms Ellis write another?

Familiar
Familiar
by J. Robert Lennon

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought-provoking, 4 Jan 2013
This review is from: Familiar (Paperback)
I must confess, I'm already a big fan of J Robert Lennon and I count Mailman and Pieces for the Left Hand amongst my favourite books. Familiar is a bit different to them and maybe carries on in some way from Castle. The main character, Elisa, is not sympathetic and the issues raised about being a parent are difficult. However, I never read Literary Fiction for a warm and fuzzy experience - I'm much more interested in thinking about the ideas in the book and following the development of the character/s. Familiar has stayed with me and I'm still thinking about it.

The Great Zombini
The Great Zombini

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious and Weird, 4 April 2011
This review is from: The Great Zombini (Kindle Edition)
As you would expect from the writer of Mailman, The Great Zombini is very funny and also, at times, disturbing. The characters are hugely varied, moving between an eagle-tattooed lifer, a horrifyingly indifferent primary teacher and a guilt ridden car crash survivor amongst many others. The illustrations from Lou Beach really add another, richer dimension to the stories. This is a great book.