Profile for Aria-May > Reviews

Content by Aria-May

Aria-May (Channel Islands)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Grim Offerings (Aisling Grimlock Book 2)
Grim Offerings (Aisling Grimlock Book 2)

2.0 out of 5 stars Bleh., 19 July 2016
I enjoyed the first book, but this one spent too much time on allegedly humorous banter and not enough the story. The writer seems obsessed with the idea that women can get PMS, and blames half the decisions made by the lead character on this, although her decisions are pretty stupid regardless of whether or not she apparently has PMS. This series of books should have been one book, well edited, with most of the boring banter written out.

Book of Lies
Book of Lies

4.0 out of 5 stars The Wild Hunt..., 16 July 2016
This review is from: Book of Lies (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed this book. The story reminded me of some of the stories by the fabulous Diana Wynne Jones, but using a more contemporary YA style. Twins, and folklore and curses all merge to make a good read.

His Candlemas Hope (A Regency Holiday Romance Book 10)
His Candlemas Hope (A Regency Holiday Romance Book 10)

1.0 out of 5 stars Seriously? No., 16 July 2016
For the first part of this book, I thought this was a light hearted regency romance, which was not very well constructed, but readable. It then degenerated into a 'the bride's family are really fairies' story, and lost even the small amount of credibility it had. Don't get me wrong, I generally like books with a supernatural focus, but this was just daft, and the plot too silly and contrived.

The Dragon Hunter and the Mage (Wounds in the Sky Book 1)
The Dragon Hunter and the Mage (Wounds in the Sky Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, but not amazing, 4 Jun. 2016
What's good: various story threads that could, in the long term, come together to create a compelling story. What's not: characterisation is, at times, superficial and unconvincing; when faced with peril, the characters head off into two pages of discussion before getting down to action; the author won't us the word 'hell' in his dialogue - 'give 'em heck!' - is just bizarre. Also, for a multiple stranded plot there aren't enough strong leads - two youths who are too similarly drawn, two women one appearing late in the book, the other with no real role in moving the drama forward. It's OK for a book I downloaded with Kindle Unlimited, but I won't be looking out for Book 2.

Trinity (The Trinity of Kirana Book 1)
Trinity (The Trinity of Kirana Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Geared for teens, 7 May 2016
This is not one of those teen/YA books that should appeal to older readers, I'd say it's geared for mid-teens.

Burning Glass
Burning Glass

3.0 out of 5 stars Should have been good, didn't quite make it., 29 Mar. 2016
This review is from: Burning Glass (Kindle Edition)
It's not bad, but could have been so much more. The main character has a gift that causes her to do extreme things at the beginning of the book, and it looked like the story was going to centre around reality and insanity. This was a good thing - I was interested and motivated to read on. However, when transplanted into the city and the palace the whole thing reverted to a story centred around romance and political intrigue. The madness and emotional drive of the story relegated to the back seat, making occasional and vague contributions to the story. I finished it, but in the same way one continues to chew gum when out loses it's flavour.
Given that this was £8:00+ I am disappointed that I took the risk.

Seducer Fey (Genetic Fey Series Book 1)
Seducer Fey (Genetic Fey Series Book 1)

1.0 out of 5 stars Did I miss the story?, 3 Mar. 2016
I read a lot of fantasy fiction, with amazing female characters who make a difference to the communities they inhabit. I know it's simplistic, but I always think that these stories need strong characters, a dynamic, dilemma based story, and some way in which characters are changed by their experiences. This book had none of these features, and seemed more like an episode of a soap than a fantasy book. I'm not sure if it will play to a teen audience, but it really didn't work for me as an adult reader.

The Man in the High Castle Season 1
The Man in the High Castle Season 1
Dvd

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for me..., 29 Nov. 2015
Pretty dreadful and stereotypical. I knew we were in for trouble.when the opening music is a creepy version of Edelweiss - an American song written for the Sound of Music in around 1959. Had the Nazi's won the war, the song would never have been written. I felt it went downhill from there despite some game performances.

Nescafé Dolce Gusto Chai Tea Latte, Pack of 3, 3 x 16 Capsules (24 Servings)
Nescafé Dolce Gusto Chai Tea Latte, Pack of 3, 3 x 16 Capsules (24 Servings)
Offered by SHOP 4 LESS

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally delicious., 30 Oct. 2014
What's to say? A delicious product delivered in a timely fashion.

Keeper: First Ordinance, Book 2
Keeper: First Ordinance, Book 2

3.0 out of 5 stars All the right elements, just didn't quite work for me..., 30 Oct. 2014
I loved the first book, and I'm hanging on in there with book 2. The good - Connie Suttle writes in a very readable way, and for the most part I like the ideas. The less good - there are too many new characters, and too much fiddle-fiddling round instead of moving forward with the plot. All the drippy stuff that characterises teen and young adult fiction, and makes it unbelievable is there - over concern about the main character becoming ill/straining herself... the main character becoming beloved of the high-ranking, as they somehow appreciate her true worth when lesser mortals do not... (It's amazing how kings, queens, presidents are all obsessed with whether or not Quin has lovely things to wear)... 10 unbelievable new plot turns every day before breakfast swallowed by everyone without the blink of an eye... vampires, demons and werewolves who don't seem to exhibit any interesting or defining characteristics other than their appeal to the YA market... Don't get me wrong, I mostly enjoyed it, I just didn't love it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8