Profile for Furny > Reviews

Furny

Page: 1 | 2
In the Shadows
In the Shadows

5.0 out of 5 stars Psychological crime is my favourite genre and this book covers the psychological aspect perfect ..., 5 April 2016
This review is from: In the Shadows (Kindle Edition)
Thank you to TBC and the author of this book who gave me a copy in return for an honest review.
Psychological crime is my favourite genre and this book covers the psychological aspect perfect but scarily as we see in to the mind of a serial killer as they leave a trail of bodies gaining in confidence with each murder through London City.
Along the way we meet a range of characters such as the Met detective team frustrated to the core with no DNA evidence to go on and no witnesses. And Grace a character who is drinking heavily and plagued with terrifying nightmares who has recently lost her Grandfather and struggling with the grief of that suddenly hugely paranoid that this killer has worked their way through her closest friends and that they could they be coming for her?.
A few times I thought I knew who the murderer was but then changed my mind but finally got it right with a few subtle clues. There are some red herrings and the story moves with greatly built suspense and pace through the twists and turns. This is the kind of book you put down but worms it's way right in to your mind and you keep thinking about it for a long time after.
A brilliant debut novel by this very talented rising author.

The Man in the High Castle (Penguin Modern Classics)
The Man in the High Castle (Penguin Modern Classics)

3.0 out of 5 stars like the author had just given up leaving the reader ..., 28 Feb. 2016
Picked by my book club. This is an alternative outcome book based on a defeated United States Of America by Axis powers after World War II.
I was curious to see how this Country would be portrayed if this had this been the result but the plot seems to swerve in many various directions with no resolution which for me made it quite complex to follow.
I also got frustrated with the characters, because I fleetingly met them and then ended up caring little about them and not feeling involved. The book then seemed to end with a cop-out, like the author had just given up leaving the reader to decide.
I have noticed this book has now made it on to the screen and I watched the video trailer for it here on Goodreads and it certainly got my interest so maybe in translating to the big screen this book would benefit. It's certainly thought provoking without a doubt, I just expected more!.

Embellished Deception: A Psychological Suspense Novel (The Crime Files)
Embellished Deception: A Psychological Suspense Novel (The Crime Files)

4.0 out of 5 stars First of all I have to say this author writes in an easy style making the story straight forward to follow and ..., 28 Feb. 2016
I received a copy of this book from the author in return for a honest review.
This is the first book I have read by Netta Newbound but I was curious having come across her work on various sites. First of all I have to say this author writes in an easy style making the story straight forward to follow and the characters simplistic and either likeable or not, but are they reliable?.
The book contains three main subplots, Geraldine and her complicated love life/ relationship with her parents, Illness and the fact there is a terrifying rapist loose in the village.
About three quarters of a way through this book I was left thinking about the rapist plot as it seemed to have stalled for a while but then it suddenly picked up again and I guessed in one defining moment who the rapist was but I was eager to see if I was right (which I was!) but this never detracted from my enjoyment of the story and it wasn't overly obvious I just picked up on a clue!. All the subplots however cleverly all merged and tied up in the end. I really enjoyed the various characterisation and how the relationships were portrayed and Geraldine's closeness to her parents and Father especially.
This story was bitter sweet, so after reading crime, rape and death the ending was a nice happy one.
I am really looking forward to reading more of Netta's work and the follow up to this book which I believe is to be published shortly. I would love to see Geraldine's lovely Father maybe find happiness with Aunt Beryl as everybody else was coupled off and he came across as such a gentle man and I really warmed to him! ha!.
A very enjoyable read.

Hunt for the Enemy: A gripping international suspense thriller (The Enemy Series)

4.0 out of 5 stars This is the last instalment of a trilogy but I was rest assured it would be fine to read as a stand alone and it did ..., 19 Feb. 2016
This is my first time reading any of Rob Sinclair's work and this book was chosen by a book club I am a member of as our weekly read and I received my copy from NetGalley in return for an honest review.
This is the last instalment of a trilogy but I was rest assured it would be fine to read as a stand alone and it did feel that way due to the flash backs of our main character Carl Logan that gives the background to explain what he is doing and where he is now. I thought this was very useful in giving the character depth and to understanding the actions and motives of this very complex character.
Carl Logan is an agent with the Joint Intelligence Agency and is trained to kill but he has been framed for a murder and now the very agency he worked for and others are tracking him down after labelling him a traitor. However if this wasn't enough, throw in to the mix him coming across his former lover who is also on the run and has formerly betrayed him and we wait to see what will happen next as the story keeps you guessing as to just who he can trust.
The author has a style of writing that draws you straight in to the story from the beginning and although the plot is a fast action packed spy thriller his clever characterisation also leads you to glimpse a soft side to Carl Logan which leaves you wanting to route for him right through this fast paced, descriptive story that accumulates with a well executed finale.
I certainly would like to back track now and read the previous two books and more of Sinclair's work.
I would highly recommend this book.

The Theseus Paradox: The stunning breakthrough thriller based on real events, from the Scotland Yard detective turned author (Detective Inspector Jake Flannagan)
by David Videcette

5.0 out of 5 stars Right from the very start the intrigue sucked me in and naturally the pace to turn the ..., 17 Feb. 2016
This is David Videcette's debut novel. The author is a former Scotland Yard investigator and has based the novel on the devastating London 7/7 bombings.
Right from the very start the intrigue sucked me in and naturally the pace to turn the pages quickened as I became totally gripped with the story.
Our protagonist DI Jake Flannagan is cast as a career obsessed/ driven, selfish, handsome womaniser who bends the rules to get where and what he wants. As the story progresses though we see his vulnerable side, he's lost his Mum, Gran, Wife and see's his children occasionally and is not sure where his relationship is heading, he craves affection which he normally finds sexually with strangers much to the ribbing of his colleagues but when sober he berates himself for doing so and reflects on the things that have gone wrong in his life and the bad decisions he made which then gets him emotionally down further leading to his self-destruct downwards spiral of drinking heavily and occasional drug taking.
Through all this though we are still routing for DI Flannagan our very frustrating loveable rogue because he manages to pull himself together every morning, shower and get out on the streets hell bent and determined to piece together the jigsaw of the lead to the events and reveal the suspects behind the terrorism that changed so many peoples lives on those days.
One of the main themes focuses on his girlfriend Claire who passes him some secret information which he decides to investigate without telling anyone, this in turn gets him suspended but suspension will not stop him he's like a dog with a bone but could this mean danger for Claire too?.
The experience and knowledge of the author in police and security red tape, investigations, procedures and minute detail are what really interested me and I felt I learn't a lot but yet was still left really pondering and shocked at the end.
A brilliant, fast paced, police thriller and I'm looking forward to see what the author does with DI Flannagan next, hopefully he doesn't tame him down and make him a sensible good cop! :0).

ENGRAVED RUGBY PINT GLASS PG204 IN SILK LINED GIFT BOX
ENGRAVED RUGBY PINT GLASS PG204 IN SILK LINED GIFT BOX
Offered by 1stclassgifts

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as shown/described and a prompt delivery. My Father ..., 13 Dec. 2015
Just as shown/described and a prompt delivery. My Father In Law will be thrilled with this is in his Christmas hamper!. Thank You. :0)

No Title Available

Just as described & delivered quickly. Thank You.x

12 Pack of Charms For Rubberband Loom Bracelets
12 Pack of Charms For Rubberband Loom Bracelets
Offered by ToyWarehouseUK

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 13 Sept. 2014
Just as described & quick delivery. Thank You. :0)

PACK OF 50 WHITE PLASTIC (3.5") LOLLIPOP STICKS / CAKE POPS / SWEETS / LOLLIES / CRAFTS WITH SILVER 4" TWIST TIES
Offered by POLYBAGSTORES

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 13 Sept. 2014
Very quick delivery & product just as described. Thank You. :0)

R&B Collection (2010)
R&B Collection (2010)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Album, 5 Feb. 2012
I this album on offer. A good album for a great price and a varied compilation of different styles.
I'm one happy customer! :0)

Page: 1 | 2