Profile for Kevin Pollard > Reviews

Black Cherry
Black Cherry
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars An album that will grow and grow on you ..., 17 Oct. 2003
This review is from: Black Cherry (Audio CD)
I bought this album on the strength of 'Strict Machine' and I am so glad that I did.
At first listen this is a quirky, uncomfortable and almost odd selection of tunes and sounds. But as I played it over and over again on my headphones (whilst laying on a beach in the Med) I fell in love with 'Black Cherry'and Goldfrapp.
The album kicks-off with 'Crystalline Green', and uplifting, dreamy and almost anthemic tune. I hate the catch-all term 'chill-out', but this tune will do precisely that - chill you out. However tune two, 'Train', is a slap round the face the pick you up, and make you listen; a chugging, charging and extremely addictive bit of electro-funk. The song 'Black Cherry' is a psychadelic soundscape, with Alison Goldfrapp's vocals sounding like a lullaby.
The biggest suprise for me was 'Tiptoe', a classy number, with strings and big raunchy power! To me it actually sounds like the best 'Bond' theme that was never made (Bond film makers take note please).
BUY IT.