Profile for A. J. Lodge > Reviews

Content by A. J. Lodge

A. J. Lodge (UK Lincolnshire)

Cowon X7 120GB Portable Media Player - White
Cowon X7 120GB Portable Media Player - White

2.0 out of 5 stars Try again Cowon!!!, 29 Feb. 2012
This is just such a shame. The sound is absolutely superb, and cannot be faulted. It really brought recordings to life. Got this for parents who were thinking of the Brennan. I steered them this way as our son has got on very well with the cowon s9. I put all their cds and digitized their LPs for them and loaded it all up. The user interface is really really clunky, and totally counter-intuitive. Scrolling with the touch screen is quite maddening, often ending up opening files by accident. I did try the user interfaces developed by Kizune on the Net, and though these tidied up the art work and provided some improvements in indexing, they were rather too nerdy and did not do the obvious things simply. Now had it been me, I could have left the thing on constant shuffle and enjoyed the sound, but my parents are not as indiscriminate as I, and wished to select albums to play them as and when they felt like them. Their collection is not that extensive, but it was almost impossible to find stuff that they were looking for. The search function is quite useless especially as the keyboard row 2 was one character out of alignment.

Touch screen- think really poor SatNav rather than say Samsung Galaxy II!!
User Interface - liken it to etch-a-sketch level of control compared with say Windows Media player.
Sound Quality - this is prime seats in the Barbican rather than "I'll just put you on hold"

I just hope that Cowon gets together with some real software designers who know how to make intuitive interfaces and put this lemon behind them. I should certainly be interested if they do!!!

Thomson Top Up TV - 250Gb Freeview Twin Tuner Digital TV Recorder
Thomson Top Up TV - 250Gb Freeview Twin Tuner Digital TV Recorder

1.0 out of 5 stars Very poor sensitivity for reception, 7 Sept. 2008
I am personally a great fan of PVRs as they have completely transformed our enjoyment of TV, and was keen for my mother-in-law to start reaping the benefits. She is a bit of a technophobe, and so I was looking forward to converting her with this machine. I set it up for her but the autotune only found 17 TV channels. Fair enough, I thought, with a lot of heavy rain, perhaps it would perform better on a clearer day. Came back next day to retune with no better success. I was a little suspicious when I realised it was not even picking up channels that had been received on their old, now broken, digibox. Obviously reception can be a problem in certain areas, so to check this I went home to collect our own PVR which was a Digihome; about the cheapest model available. I installed this on the same aerial and got it to autotune. 23 additional channels were found, more than doubling the amount found by the Thompson. What is more, the omitted channels were pretty mainstream for viewers: BBC4, UKTV History, Dave, Virgin1, Film 4, C Beebies, BBC Parliament, Sky News, and others which I might not rate but would be important for others. What annoys me is that a potential purchaser might just think that the Thompson was performing as well as could be expected, and be conned into spending a fortune upgrading their aerial installation, or alternatively returning the product and doing without freeview or the benefits of a PVR. I would go on to review the perfomance of other features, such as the on screen tv guide (frankly a bit clunky and badly designed) but whilst there are some praiseworthy design features, a failure on the very most basic of viewers needs would make these irrellevent.