Profile for Dorkomatic > Reviews

Ready Player One
Ready Player One
by Ernest Cline

5.0 out of 5 stars Riotous gaming adventure, 12 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Ready Player One (Paperback)
This book is a real blast. The action swaps between the harsh post-apocalyptic real-world and a fantastic simulated world. The events in each world are entangled and twisted together in a way which is at once fanciful and full of serious consequence.
While the book refers to many games, movies and songs of the 1980s - and these may make you smile if you remember them, a knowledge of the era is in no way necessary to enjoy this exciting ride into the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Boiled in Lead's "Worldbeat Album", 14 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Orb (Audio CD)
Boiled in Lead, those masters of folk/rock fusion from Minnesota started out playing celtic tunes on their first album. And in more recent times have recorded more rock-oriented albums. This album: "Orb" is a little different. It's a step beyond the early celtic music with tunes inspired by musical traditions around the whole globe. It's an ethno-musicalogical journey. It has both fun & frivolity and serious depth.
I'd recommend it.

Jungle Blues
Jungle Blues

5.0 out of 5 stars New Orleans Funeral Fun, 25 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Jungle Blues (Audio CD)
CW Stoneking is quite a phenomenon. His voice is creaky, cracked and old - like a gramophone record of 1930s New-Orleans blues. He sounds like an octogenarian black blues musician (despite being a young white Australian) His songs evoke a world which would otherwise be lost to us. It's full of humour, bizarre stories and deep deep character.
Instrumentally it has dusty, bluesy guitar; clunky, primitive banjo; antiquated jazzy trombone & cornet; and percussion that is appropriately wild or sombre.

Gandhi [DVD]
Gandhi [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ben Kingsley
Offered by HalfpriceDVDS_FBA

4.0 out of 5 stars A must-see film if ever there was one., 25 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Gandhi [DVD] (DVD)
There are several good reasons for watching this film. The film is easy to watch and very believable and Ben Kingsley does a fine job of presenting the great man as full of determination without malice.
The film won many oscars of course, and it's a good piece of history. But above all - it's an inspiring and important story that should be better known. It shows Gandhi in the same light as other inspirational characters such as Martin Luther King.

Rules for My Unborn Son
Rules for My Unborn Son
by Walker Lamond

5.0 out of 5 stars Serious advice in a fun package., 5 Oct. 2010
I've been following Walter Lamond's blog of the same name for a while, and I bought this book specifically to prompt me in some serious fatherhood issues. I have a two great teenage sons and a very good relationship with both of them. I want to talk wih them about some serious matters without getting too heavy. This book has such simple one-liners on advice about life, work, dating, friends, responsibilities and personal style that it serves as a good lightweight starting point for serious discussion. It's not that I agree with all the advice; but the collected aphorisms are thought provoking in just the way I wanted.

I want my sons to grow up as men with principles. Ifthis helps a tiny bit; then that's a very good thing.

Sennheiser HD201 Closed Dynamic Stereo headphones
Sennheiser HD201 Closed Dynamic Stereo headphones

5.0 out of 5 stars Bargain headphones with quality sound, 5 Oct. 2010
I don't know what I expected when I bought these to use with my laptop; but for such a low price these headphones have excellent sound, great insulation from extraneous noise and impressive build quality too.

Mein kleiner grüner Kaktus
Mein kleiner grüner Kaktus

5.0 out of 5 stars Quirky fun, 12 Jan. 2010
I first heard "Mein Kleiner Grune Kaktus" on Sarah Kennedy's BBC Radio 2 show. It's a charming old-world German song, full of humour and nostalgia. It's strangely camp, pre-war jazz - from more innocent times. Tremendous!

Sackcloth 'n' Ashes
Sackcloth 'n' Ashes
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Sombre Americana, 21 May 2009
This review is from: Sackcloth 'n' Ashes (Audio CD)
Dark rock with a dose of Old-Timey banjo and wheezing atmospheric squeezbox. I'm awestruck by this album. It has attitude, tradition and spookyness. The drumming is full of fabulous fills. Some of the vocals (intentionally) have a smoky distant muffled sound - but it's all just exactly right.
Is it country? Well, yes. But not like you ever heard before.
Is it rock. Yeah. A bit rustic, not urban.
Is this their best album? Well, either this one, or "Hoarse".
Hey, just buy it!

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Immensely comfortable, not so hard-wearing., 4 Feb. 2009
These are the most comfortable boots I've ever tried - bar none.
They're also quite smart - I can geta away with wearing them around the office.
But... they aren't as hard-wearing as I'd like. I can get through 3 pairs a year
(But I walk *alot* - 2 miles to work, 2 miles home every day on tarmac.)

The Little Book Of Mornington Crescent
The Little Book Of Mornington Crescent
by Tim Brooke-Taylor

5.0 out of 5 stars Caution: diagonal side-splitting can put you in Nid., 1 Aug. 2008
Finally, I can get from Northolt to MC in under 71 moves! Although it is necessary to be wary of the shambling wugu-beast of the District-Line. I'd also recommend that you play carefully around the 'maze of twisty passages all alike'. This book is an ideal companion for those who have no access to the airwaves and have to play MC over semaphore. Don't be baffled by the historical-precedence rules - this book explains how many grand-masters have won important tournaments wearing nothing but a pair of Y-fronts and an important looking hat. Excellent. I'd recommend buying 3 copies - one for upstairs, one for downstairs and one for the bog. 5-stars!

Page: 1 | 2