Profile for Mr. K. L. Longmore > Reviews

Content by Mr. K. L. Longmore

Mr. K. L. Longmore "Covkid1945" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
PagePlus X7 (PC)
PagePlus X7 (PC)
Offered by IT SuperMarket

5.0 out of 5 stars Best version yet, 2 July 2014
This review is from: PagePlus X7 (PC) (CD-ROM)
Far better than the X2 version that I was using, more stable, quicker and easier to use.

The Storm (Penguin Classics)
The Storm (Penguin Classics)
by Daniel Defoe

4.0 out of 5 stars Puts our current weather in perspective!, 14 Jan 2014
Defoe's book is perhaps the start of modern style first-hand journalism. It rescued him from bankruptcy and made his name as a serious author (he had been imprisoned for writing anti-government pamphlets previously). My only criticism is that it is in places hard to read the archaic English, and the explanation of nthe English is in a separate glossary. But it is poignant and moving, and the description of HMS Association (later Sir Cloudesley Shovell's flagship, wrecked off the Scillies in 1707 due to an error in navigation) being blown across the North Sea, dismasted and helpless, can only be described as distressing. A very worthwhile book to read.

WD 1TB 3.5 inch Internal Hard Drive - Caviar Blue
WD 1TB 3.5 inch Internal Hard Drive - Caviar Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars Good product, 14 Jan 2014
Everything I have ever expected from Western Digital. No problems, easy to install and configure, no hiccups. Fast and reliable. Recommended.

Fanny and Stella: The Young Men Who Shocked Victorian England
Fanny and Stella: The Young Men Who Shocked Victorian England

5.0 out of 5 stars A totally different view of Victorian society., 14 Jan 2014
Who would have thought that Victorian society was like this? It really is an eye-opener, and well written to boot. If you are easily shocked or prudish...avoid it. But otherwise, I would strongly recommend it.

Undercover: The True Story of Britain's Secret Police
Undercover: The True Story of Britain's Secret Police
by Paul Lewis

4.0 out of 5 stars a disturbing read!, 14 Jan 2014
A very well written book that left me wanting more. Some very disturbing information in this book - how many of us know that the Association of Chief Police officers is a private limited company? I certainly didn't! I would recommend anyone who cares about the preservation of democracxy in the UK to read this book. And then become an activist!

Adobe Photoshop Elements 12 (PC/Mac)
Adobe Photoshop Elements 12 (PC/Mac)

4.0 out of 5 stars Competent image editing, 14 Jan 2014
I have never been a lover of Elements, I have to say; CS is far better, more ergonomic and overall a rather nicer program from a user poiint of view. But having bought CS4 in the past (when it was obsolete), and subsequently discovered it to be a counterfeit, I couldn't afford 'the full works'. Elements works well, but to get the best from it, it is essential to buy Lightroom too - they work together, and some features of one are not in the other; without those features, a program such as Paint Shop Pro is preferable, in my view. I get by with Elements. But I also have PSP, and often prefer to use it rather than Elements; it has some excellent features that really should be in Elements too. PSP even has raw file processing built in; if you don't need all the power of Lightroom, PSP is probably a very good value alternative to Elements and Lightroom together.
The new feature in Elements that allows you to select and more an element of a photo and fill in its background does not, in my view, work at all well, and has little value. I have my own method and file structure for saving images, so the image organiser section is of no value to me. There are much more valuable features that could be included in Elements but are only available in CS. Overall, I can only rate it as Competent, and, indeed, compared with PSP, I think it is over priced.

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5, Upgrade Edition (Mac/PC)
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5, Upgrade Edition (Mac/PC)

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as it gets, 14 Jan 2014
I have tried other raw file editors, but Lightroom is as good as it gets. It seems good value at this price. Straightforward to use, and much more subtle than other raw file editors that I have used; one even reliably crashes my display driver - Lightroom behaves impeccably. Recommended.

The Lost World of Bletchley Park: The Illustrated History of the Wartime Codebreaking Centre
by Sinclair McKay

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality book about Station X, 14 Jan 2014
A beautiful book, fine quality paper and printing, and well put together. Nicely supplements our recent visit there in 2013.

Russian Roulette: A Deadly Game: How British Spies Thwarted Lenin's Global Plot
Russian Roulette: A Deadly Game: How British Spies Thwarted Lenin's Global Plot
by Giles Milton

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant stories about our WWI spies!, 14 Jan 2014
Much that I didn't know here. Well written, with a nice pace, and easy to read. A bit like a modern-day Boys' Own tale overall; and most enjoyable to read. I can fully recommend it.

Victorinox 0460300 Army Knife Tinker
Victorinox 0460300 Army Knife Tinker

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I wanted, 14 Jan 2014
I wanted a fairly compact and useful multi-blade pocket knife, that would be legal to carry with me. This knife fills the bill perfectly; the screwdriver blades are useful (better than corkscrews or things for getting stones out of Boy Scouts' boots!) and the finish of the knife is very good.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3