ARRAY(0xa6c4f318)

Offered by GamersCorner
Price: 16.60

2.0 out of 5 stars Awful gameplay with an interesting story, 22 Jun 2012
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Game of Thrones (PS3) (Video Game)
I have never played a completely linear RPG before, and I don't think I'll ever play one again if I can avoid it.

There's not a lot of game in Game of Thrones: the game. RPGs, despite having a scripted storyline as a frame for the overall experience, usually allow the player to make decisions which have consequences, to roam freely in the game world and to develop and play the role in his or her individual fashion. None of these options is available in this game. In Game of Thrones you may travel only where the story needs you to travel and fight whomever the story demands you fight. There is no real role playing involved. This is just an interactive story, one step removed from an audiobook experience, in my opinion.

The one area in which, above all others, you would expect a bit of freedom is combat... but even that is a broken system, seemingly purposely designed to suck any enjoyment and self-expression out of the game and its player. I want to press a button and see my guy swing his sword; anticipate an incoming blow and hit a button in time to block or avoid an incoming attack. Sadly the combat works like this: enemies attack you; you slow down time to bring up a wheel displaying all your character's abilities; you choose 3 abilities to add to a queue; you wait and watch your character perform the attacks/buffs/etc. which you told him to perform... except you don't even get to watch him do that because you have to be choosing the next set of commands while all that's going on. Essentially you spend your battles doing the admin, ordering tasks for somebody else to carry out. It never feels as though you are doing anything for yourself.

The voice acting is dreadful and sounds like words are being read from a page by somebody who doesn't understand the language in which they are written. Place and character names change pronunciation depending on who is actually speaking at the time, even within a single conversation between caharacters. You'd think the makers could have decided on a pronunciation and instructed each "actor" or "actress" to stick to it.

The graphics are even worse than the voice acting and the maximum-of-three-poses-animation used by every single cut-scene character is bizarre. Everyone in Westeros is a little tea pot!

The game also has many bugs such as items you can't ever pick up, solid objects passing through each other, long unexplained freezes, constantly repeated dialogue from background NPCs, items vanishing from your inventory and too many more to mention.

The story itself is quite good but I don't expect the vast majority to plow on through the pitiful mess of this game long enough to discover that.

Turtle Beach Ear Force Universal Gaming Headset Bundle DPX21 with Dolby Surround Sound (Xbox 360/PS3/Windows XP/Vista/7)
Offered by Appods
Price: 118.81

1.0 out of 5 stars No surround sound and breaks easily, 17 Jun 2012
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
The sound quality is very good but it is only stereo. I didn't expect full surround sound but I did expect a simulated experience approximating surround sound.

I had mine for two months and then the plastic snapped where the ear piece meets the part which goes over your head. The headset was not mistreated in any way, it just snapped while I was putting it on my head in the same way I always did. No children ever used the headset.

So: good stereo headset but very flimsy. Not worth half the money being asked.

Battlefield 3 - Limited Edition (PS3)
Battlefield 3 - Limited Edition (PS3)
Offered by Tracymuk
Price: 17.95

2.0 out of 5 stars Good when it works, but that's not for very long!, 30 Oct 2011
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
I couldn't really afford this game but being a huge fan of the previous one I found a way to stretch my budget. I wish I'd waited a few months now. There are so many problems with this release that it is almost unplayable:

Problem 1 - It crashes all the time! It's now 2 days after the release date and I have had to restart my campaign for the forth time because the game crashes during saves and corrupts the data. It also crashes between saves but that's not such a huge problem.

Problem 2 - Quick match in multiplayer mode doesn't work so you have to browse servers. By the time you find a server you want to join it's already full, so you have to refresh the list and start again. When you eventually find a game which isn't full... it loses connection with the server and kicks you back to the main menu to begin at the beginning. This is very frustrating and wastes an awful lot of time.

Problem 3 - If you do get into a multiplayer game the lag is horrendous! Example: you run across a road and take cover behind a bus; the game freezes for a second; suddenly you are back in the middle of the road (as though time has been turned back 20 seconds) and somebody shoots you dead. This sort of time-travelling glitch happens at least once per minute.

Problem 4 - Microphones simply don't work at all. Good communication with your squad is essential in this type of game and yet it doesn't exist in BF3! There are various options for mic comms so I guess it is intended to be a working feature but it just isn't.

There are other problems but those are the main ones.

On the plus side, the multiplayer game is as good as BFBC2 when it works. The Campaign, what I've seen of it, is a bit too Call of Duty for my liking... but the graphics are quite good.

Hopefully they will fix all the problems someday and this game will be worth what I spent on it, but right now I'm really angry that yet another unfinished, virtually unplayable game has been released. I wish people were more honest in their reviews, too: falsely praising the game to high heaven because you're a fan of the series is no incentive to the manufacturers to actually create a game which is fully working on the release date!

I don't think I'll ever buy another game on release day after this dreadful experience. If the game doesn't work it shouldn't be released at full price. I feel like I've payed 40 to be a Beta tester and I'm not happy at all.

DUETS FOR ONE VIOLIN VLN BOOK/CD (...for All)
DUETS FOR ONE VIOLIN VLN BOOK/CD (...for All)
by Various
Price: 9.12

5.0 out of 5 stars The best 'tunes-book' I've found for beginners, 3 Sep 2011
This is an absolutely wonderful book/CD package!

It's so difficult to find anything to play as a violin beginner other than children's nursery songs, which can be somewhat discouraging to an adult learner such as myself. This book/CD set, however, is aimed at "Pre-Grade 1 to Grade 1+" and introduces a good array of pieces in a variety of styles. And these are 'proper tunes' most of which you will actually know and enjoy playing.

As a duet compilation the "Pre Grade 1" pieces are mostly the harmony parts. I've had only 4 lessons and found I could play many of the harmony parts easily, and a few of the melody parts with the odd mistake and a slower tempo, which is all very encouraging.

The CD is fantastic as it includes three versions of each piece: the full performance; a version with the melody part removed; a version with the harmony part removed (a very rare thing in my limited experience)! And unlike some playalong CDs, which sound like they've been recorded from a child's Casio Keyboard, the quality of these recordings is extremely high. Playing the harmony part for Pachelbel's Canon, a simple repetition of eight notes, becomes a genuine joy as the other instruments (real, not electronically simulated) gradually join in and the music builds... you really feel part of something.

Song list:

MORNING HAS BROKEN - Traditional
THE WATER IS WIDE - Traditional English folk song
HEARTBEAT - a hit for Buddy Holly
FREIGHT TRAIN - Traditional American Country
FUNKY TWINKLE - an arrangement of 'Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star' with a syncopated rhythm
CHERRY RIPE - Traditional English folk song
WORDS - a hit for The Bee Gees and for Boyzone
I NEVER WILL MARRY - Traditional
THE BANKS OF THE OHIO - Traditional
PACHELBEL'S CANON
ANY DREAM WILL DO - from 'Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat' Rice/Webber
DONNA NOBIS PACEM - Traditional
PICK A BALE O' COTTON - Traditional
THE STEAMBOAT - Traditional Dutch folk song
SCARBOROUGH FAIR - Traditional (popularised by Simon and Garfunkel)
KILLING ME SOFTLY WITH HIS SONG - a hit for Roberta Flack and for The Fugees

I recommend this most highly! It is certainly my favourite sheet music purchase so far, and looks set to remain that way for a good time to come. My violin tutor was also impressed with the book.

Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 2 (PS3)
Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 2 (PS3)
Offered by Gateway Gaming
Price: 13.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed, 24 Sep 2010
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
I'm one of the few people who owns a PS3 and a Wii at the same time and still loves both. I'm aware of the differences between those systems' performance and have to say that, where the graphics are concerned, I would be disappointed with them on the Wii; I'm VERY disappointed with them on the PS3! This game looks atrocious in every way.

The gameplay is really outdated, too. In an early mission I was told to get into position on another plane's "7 o'clock". I couldn't tell which way the target plane was oriented so flew close to get a better look... Hey presto! I must have hit the area I was supposed to be in compleely by accident (approaching from the wrong direction) because the game paused and reset itself with me flying alongside the enemy craft perfectly in the "7 o'clock position" at a perfectly matched speed: "Checkpoint reached". There's no realism at all: hit the checkpoint from any angle and the game jumps to the next pre-programmed section where everyone's in the position they are supposed to be in. I don't like that at all, there's no real challenge. The whole feel of flying the plane comes from an eighties arcade game, too! I'm going back to IL2 as soon as I've finished writing this... or Blazing Angels which I have for the Wii; either one of those kicks this game's unmentionable body part!

My main reason for writing this review is that there is no option to invert the Y axis on the camera. You CAN invert the camera but it inverts everything so that pushing left moves right and vice versa! I know this won't affect a lot of players but I always invert the Y axis because I can't play any other way, so for me it makes the camera targeting sequences impossible. I wrote this review primarily to warn those people who expect the targeting reticule to move down the screen when pushing the stick forward but to still move left when you push it left, that there is no option allowing that in the game.

Whether the graphics and gameplay are to your taste is a personal thing and many will have the opposite viewpoint to mine, but not having the option to use the controls the way you want (or need) to is something I would have wished to have known before buying the game. I hope this is useful to someone.

(If I'm wrong and there is an "invert Y axis only" option that I missed, please leave a comment on this review to let me know)

House Of The Dead: Overkill - Collector's Edition (Wii)
House Of The Dead: Overkill - Collector's Edition (Wii)
Offered by Reloadgames
Price: 34.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Appallingly bad, 16 Feb 2009
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
There is no excuse for this game being so bad. The graphics are probably worse than those of House of the Dead 3; the calibration simply doesn't work; the crosshairs take an age to catch up with your movement of the gun; pulling the trigger doesn't necessarily mean the bullet will land anywhere near to the crosshair anyway... there is no excuse for the game being so bad!

Compare the above points with the game Ghost Squad. In that game the targeting is so slick and accurate you can switch off the crosshair and hit headshots every time simply by pointing the gun in the desired direction... which is how I thought these games were supposed to work! Ghost Squad is slick and accurate and has graphics infinitely superior to those of House of the Dead Overkill.

Why do we get this appalling trash handed to us when it is not even finished? and it really isn't finished. It took me a couple of hours or maybe a little more than that to complete the regular game in the hardest difficulty setting available at first play, but that's only because the cut-scenes are so flippin' long (and pointlessly sweary and dull and dreary and badly animated and... just unnecessary). Beating the game unlocks the 'Director's Cut' version which has more mutants and a few extra scenes... I can't say how many because I've tried to play the first scenario twice and twice the game has got stuck leaving me only the option of switching off the Wii and rebooting the whole thing. This happened at two different sections of the game, too: the first crash I could hear a mutant but couldn't get the camera to find it, even though I had danger-cam turned on, and so the game would not progress because I hadn't killed all the mutants in that room; the second crash was weirder still as I was whisked through two sections which were devoid of mutants and then stuck looking through a barred window into a room with three tiny gold brains which shouldn't have been there. I shot the gold brains and nothing happened. The game is still playing its music to itself like a stuck record and peering through a barred window into an empty room while I type all this.

This game is not finished. This game is not worth any money in its present state. I'd be disappointed if I'd downloaded it for 500 points through the shop channel. This game is an insult to Wii owners since we know the Wii can do so much better than this horrendous piece of non-working garbage.

I'm returning mine for a refund.

Oh, and the extra money for this limited edition gets you a really poor quality paper comic thing with no story and no real relevance to the game, and a cardboard box to contain the regular edition game packaging. It isn't worth anything extra.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 17, 2009 11:14 AM GMT

Neon Genesis Evangelion - Ultimate Tin Box Collection [DVD]
Neon Genesis Evangelion - Ultimate Tin Box Collection [DVD]
Dvd ~ Neon Genesis Evangelion

2.0 out of 5 stars Really disappointing for a self-proclaimed "Ultimate Collection", 24 Oct 2008
I've heard about this programme for a long time but been a little bamboozled by the different versions available for purchase and so I was delighted to find this new release of an "Ultimate Collection". I forked out the 70.98 and expected something living up to the title and the price tag... I was so wrong!

This DVD collection is presented in a 4:3 aspect ratio, which I hate anyway, but I thought, "Ah, it's an old programme so it was probably made that way, I'll live with it." Sadly it quickly became apparent that the programme was not made that way at all: in many scenes you can only see the forearm of the character speaking as the rest of their body has disappeared in the cut-off section on the left or right of the screen; one scene even has two characters talking to each other who should be standing one at each edge of the screen, but they are both absent from the image presented to us, an image of some boring boxes and crates; by the ad break of episode 8 I realised that I was no longer watching Neon Genesis Evangelion but was instead watching 'eon enesis vangelion' as the initials of the words of the title had fallen over the side... you can't tell me they made it that way on purpose!

The upshot of all that is bad framing, missing action and a really distracting feeling that you are watching the programme through a keyhole. Having read for so long about how beautifully drawn this anime is I simply feel cheated by this poor quality, cheaply made rubbish which is a 'UK exclusive edition' presumably because whomever is responsible felt ashamed to offer it for sale in their own country.

Everything about this product is cheap: there are the problems mentioned above; the tin box is flimsy and arrived all bent out of shape; one of the plastic cases snapped when I opened it in exactly the same way I've opened every other slimpack case I've ever encountered; the booklet was never proof-read and neither were the subtitles!

I gave this two stars only because the story is quite good, although it is clearly aimed at a teen audience and not the deep, philosophical masterpiece I'd been led to expect when I read other reviews of the series.

At the price it's a total rip off. Save yourself some money and rent it before deciding whether to buy. This was the worst purchase I ever made on Amazon... and I bought Onegai Teacher!!!
Comment Comments (11) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 31, 2011 2:28 AM BST

Strange Circus [DVD] [2005] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Strange Circus [DVD] [2005] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Masumi Miyazaki

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful edit of a beautiful film, 13 Oct 2008
Don't bother with this awful American edit. The original is a 108 minute film, this is a mere 83 minutes! All the heart has been removed, all the main features have been ripped out and what's left is a meaningless pile of dross which will leave you wondering how this ever got a release.

Get the original unedited version which is five stars all the way!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 14, 2010 10:50 AM BST

Gunslinger Girl - The Complete Box Set [DVD]
Gunslinger Girl - The Complete Box Set [DVD]
Dvd ~ Gunslinger Girl

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but it goes nowhere!, 14 Mar 2008
This story of young girls being brainwashed, or "conditioned", to play the role of assassin is actually quite good: it's beautifully animated; its characters are well fleshed-out and I did find myself caring about them; it has good voice acting (Japanese language version) and great music; but it just doesn't go anywhere!

It's such a shame that the series ending is just like the ending of any episode and doesn't provide any resolution or grand finale that I was expecting. After spending the day coming to care about the characters and following their adventures I was left with feeling of, "Oh, is that it then?" It was deflating and I'm really quite disappointed by the whole thing now.

There is a sequel to Gunslinger Girl currently airing across Asia entitled, Gunslinger Girl - Il Teatrino, and I must admit that I still have enough affection left for the original series to want to watch the sequel, in the vague hope it might actually go somewhere this time... but I won't hold my breath.

All in all this is a lovely series which provides several hours of joy, laughter, sadness, more joy and a lot of action, followed by one great big flat pancake of a disappointment. Up until the finale this programme scores 5/5 but having seen the ending I can only give it 3/5 if I'm being honest.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 10, 2008 12:24 AM BST

Numb3rs Season 2 [DVD]
Numb3rs Season 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Rob Morrow

3.0 out of 5 stars Region 2 let down again!!!, 28 Jan 2008
This review is from: Numb3rs Season 2 [DVD] (DVD)
Enough has already been said about the programme itself so I just want to make a comment on the boxed set... the Region 2 set is pathetic!

The Region 1 releases are packed with extra features including behind the scenes featurettes, episode commentaries, deleted/extended scenes, blooper reels, etc. The Region 2 release has nothing! Not a single extra feature! All you get are the episodes. There is nothing here which hasn't already been broadcast on tv.

The above is true of the Region 2 releases of seasons 1 & 2 which are all I've seen so far.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3