Profile for Mr. Iain Ormrod > Reviews

Content by Mr. Iain Ormrod

Mr. Iain Ormrod "ares_tor" (Jersey)

Night Of Knives: A Novel Of The Malazan Empire (Malazan Empire 1)
Night Of Knives: A Novel Of The Malazan Empire (Malazan Empire 1)
by Ian C Esslemont
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: 6.39

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a great start, 3 Jan 2009
I admire Esslemont for his part in the creation of the Malazan empire and I was pleased to see his first book set in this world arriving. However after several bad reviews I admit to putting off reading Night of Knives as I was worried I would be disappointed. I have finally read the book and must say I am very critical. It must first be noted that he must be compared to Erikson, it cannot be avoided, which is a very hard billing to live up to. Erikson writing style and characterisations are of the highest quality and sadly Esslemont doesn't come close.
The story is split between two main characters, Temper and Kiska. It is Kiska's character in particular that really disappointed. She failed to grab my attention and I felt throughout the book that the motivation for all her actions was lacking. Considering the situations she found herself in, it really wasn't possible to believe the justification given that she would do anything to get off the island.
His writing style lacks the depth and the wit that Erikson has shown throughout the Malazan series. Esslemont, while writing in third person, has an annoying trait of making the characters ask themselves questions as part of the prose. Should I ask a question now? Maybe I should ask a second one too? This started distracting me from the story, in one particular sequence there were 9 such questions over two pages. The fact that I noticed this shows how the writing failed to draw me in to the world.
So is it all bad? Well, no. With experience Esslemont can improve, it is not easy to sparkle with your debut and his books. He also obviously has the mind and imagination to produce great ideas. I will be buying Return of the Crimson Guard and I would not be surprised if I am reviewing that more positively.

Pro Evolution Soccer 6 (PC DVD)
Pro Evolution Soccer 6 (PC DVD)

2.0 out of 5 stars Oh Dear, Oh Dear, 9 Jan 2007
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
The lastest incarnation of the football game known for its realism returns with improved AI. Laugh as your keeper randomly punches an easy catch sideways, howl as he then strolls our of his 6 yard box to fluff it back into the danger area, cry as your defender comes charging in to control the ball (ie kick it 8 yards ahead of himself and into the back of the net for an own goal). This isn't even realistic if you are Paul Robinson. Add to the fact that the opposition can pass the ball around unchallenged at the edge of your area when your entire midfield has joined the defenders in the 6 yard box and you can't convince any of them to pressure the attack. Improved AI, I don't think so. I guess the reason Konami hasn't produced a patch is that there is a hell of a lot of work to do on it.