Profile for Jeffrey J. Marshall > Reviews

Content by Jeffrey J. Mar...

Jeffrey J. Marshall "jorchestra lover" (sydney australia)

Page: 1 | 2
Carnival Of The Animals [John Morris Russell, Cincinnati Pops Orchestra] [FANFARE CINCINATTI: FC-004]

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Recording but 49 minutes duration not good enoungh, 8 April 2015
The CPO under its new conductor sounds as good as ever and I do enjoy this recording but for 1 exception. That is the running time of 49 minutes. Common CPO surely you could have found a few more tracks to add to this recording , I find 49 minutes totally unacceptable otherwise an enjoyable recording. Must do better next time, and I speak from experience owning as I do all CPO recordings.

Tchaikovsky: Alice in Wonderland
Tchaikovsky: Alice in Wonderland

2.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointing, 15 May 2014
Sorry to report that this recording is a let down. Nothing wrong with either Carl Davis or TCoPPO but I find the music itself
uninspiring, Sorry but that is how I see it. To the back of the cupboard it goes.

Bond For Orchestra (Pavel Sporcl; Guy Barker; Philharmonia Orchestra; Carl Davis) (Carl Davis Collection: CDC021)

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE THIS, 15 May 2014
I just love this, it works for me, the Philharmonia Orchestra does an excellent job. So good I bought one for a friend and he loves it as well. So if this recordings mission is to enjoy...... then mission accomplished.

Abba for Orchestra [Carl Davis]
Abba for Orchestra [Carl Davis]

5.0 out of 5 stars hugely enjoyable, 10 April 2014
My first love is classical/orchestral music but as a kid I grew up on first the Beatles then Abba. Both were enormous in Australia so
to find an orchestral Abba was something I had to try. The object of any music is to enjoy and this recording is hugely enjoyable.
The Philharmonia Orchestra (one of Britains oldest & trusted orchestras) under Carl Davis is excellent and is obviously having a good time playing this music. As a side note Carl Davis & Royal Liverpool Philharmonic have a recording of The Beatles music also 5 stars in my opinion. ENJOY

Bernstein: West Side Story
Bernstein: West Side Story

5.0 out of 5 stars great orchestration of a much loved masterpiece, 17 Dec. 2013
The fact L Bernstein himself conducted this cd is enough in itself, as I presume its how he wanted his work to sound. Lovely digital recording great orchestra.

Rodgers & Hammerstein: The Original Film Soundtracks
Rodgers & Hammerstein: The Original Film Soundtracks
Offered by Gift_Of_Sound

2.0 out of 5 stars sounds tinny, 17 Dec. 2013
these recordings seem to be lifted straight off the lp recordings. You would be far better off getting the soundtracks that are re mastered, I have a great sound system and these recordings are not up to scratch. However you cant blame them too much taking into account when they were recorded and the technology available in those times. Just not for me.

The Titanic Requiem
The Titanic Requiem

5.0 out of 5 stars STUNNING, 2 April 2012
This review is from: The Titanic Requiem (Audio CD)
I DONT KNOW WHAT CD BBC REVIEW WAS LISTENING TO BUT IT WAS OBVIOUSLY NOT NOT THIS ONE. I HAVE JUST FINISHED MY FIRST LISTENING OF THE ENTIRE CD AND IT IS MAGNIFICIENT. I AM USUALLY A VERY HARSH CRITIC ON FIRST PLAY BUT NOT HERE. THIS IS OUTSTANDING AND I AM PROUUD TO HAVE IT IN MY COLLECTION. THE ROYAL PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA IS WONDERFUL . A VERY MELODIC TOUCHING PIECE OF WORK COMPLETELY RELATED TO THE SUBJECT. PLEASE PLEASE IGNOR BBC REVIEW IT IS A WASTE OF SPACE. BUY THIS.

Barber: Violin Concerto Op. 14; Piano Concerto Op. 38; Souvenirs Op. 28
Barber: Violin Concerto Op. 14; Piano Concerto Op. 38; Souvenirs Op. 28

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful music, 29 Mar. 2012
The Barber violin concerto is a beautiful melodic piece. I love this whole cd. As usual the atlanta symphony is great as is the soloist. I put the cd on repeat lay on the lounge and just enjoy. Thats what good music is about.

Rainbow Body
Rainbow Body

5.0 out of 5 stars new and old but all great, 24 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Rainbow Body (Audio CD)
this cd is a wonderful find. rainbow body is a majestic melodic piece played to perfection by the atlanta symphony orchestra. I think the aso under mr spano has stepped up a notch to be now described as a crack orchestra. blue cathedral is equally lovely but on a different level.i am impressed enoungh by these two new composers to seek out other works happily also played by the aso.

Vaughan Williams: Symphony No. 5; Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis; Serenade to Music

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful music, 24 Oct. 2011
this is a beautiful relaxing cd.i lie on my lounge shut my eyes and let the music take over. the atlanta symphony is a very very good orchestra. The symphony no 5 has beautiful melodic pieces which show off the strings perfectly.

Page: 1 | 2