Profile for Mr. T. Ainslie > Reviews

Content by Mr. T. Ainslie

Mr. T. Ainslie "Timbob" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Burial
Burial
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 9.54

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, sorry I'm a bit late on the uptake!, 29 April 2009
This review is from: Burial (Audio CD)
Okay I'll be honest with everyone - I knew nothing about Burial before he was nominated for the Mercury Music prize (With follow up to this, Untrue). Even then all I knew was that he was a dark dubstep producer.

I now think he was robbed. In fact, had the Arctic Monkeys not been in the running in '06, I would say he should have won then. At the very least this album should have been nominated.

I'll keep it simple. The album is an absolute joy. Better than 'Untrue' in my opinion. Emotive, ambient and abit clever. I would highly recommend this to any music fan, whether they normally like production based music or not.

Lessons learnt - 1) Mercury Music Prize is good for Something, 2) This album is top notch!

Two Sparks & Two Stars
Two Sparks & Two Stars
Offered by Ocelotbooks
Price: 9.98

4.0 out of 5 stars On the verge of something big, 20 Feb 2009
This review is from: Two Sparks & Two Stars (Audio CD)
Along with Maps, Kyte are the only truly good thing to come out of the nugaze scene. This effort is probably more true to shoegaze than what they have done before. The only problem is they're potential as an ambient band is immense, whereas as shoegazers they're above average.

This E.P. shows Kyte are in the process of perfecting their sound. The chills offered on their debut self titled mini album were pleasing enough, and they just get more glacial all the time. New demo's are showing this too. Pick of the four is definitely the cover of Peter Gabriel's 'Salisbury Hill', but all the tracks are good enough.

I strongly recommend this E.P., and if Kyte carry on, they could be this generation's Brian Eno or The Orb. Finger's crossed.

We Can Create
We Can Create
Price: 7.72

5.0 out of 5 stars How Shoegaze should have been, 12 Feb 2009
This review is from: We Can Create (Audio CD)
I think many people don't quite understand Maps. James Chapman allegedly spearheaded the Nu Gaze movement, but this suggests he's producing walls of sound, droning space rock and dark psychedelica. Surely 'To The Sky' is evidence enough that he's not staring at his shoes.

I'll not beat around the bush, I L-O-V-E this album, from start to finish. Not since the Stone Roses has anyone so perfectly and effortlessly melded brilliant melodies with dance beats. The difference is as Maps is only one person, the beats in question are electronica rather than house. Picks are Eloise, Liquid Sugar, Don't Fear, You Don't Know Her Name, but all the songs are of high quality.

Critics of the album say its all too samey - such people miss the point. Maps have produced 11 tracks that may 'sound' the same (though this is something I would dispute) but are all still brilliant. Some would argue this is the art of true music.

But frankly you can get too analytical, which I want to avoid. I deliberately avoided writing a review until a good time after its release and Mercury music buzz, to show it stands the test of time. This isn't just an album for music enthusiasts, its an album for anyone who wants to pick a track at random and feel abit better about life three minutes later. A fine fine debut.

Page: 1 | 2