Profile for GS > Reviews

GS

Metro Manila
Metro Manila
Dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent film about people who are left with no choice, 15 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Metro Manila (DVD)
There are many reasons one should see this film. Sean Ellis has done a superb job in presenting a topic that we think we are already familiar with: the lengths some people will go if they think they have no options left. This is a universal theme, and, as one of the actors said, it could have been filmed anywhere in the world and still would have had the same impact. But thank goodness Ellis shot this in the Philippines - that added depth to the issue, and made the plot more believable.

I love the cinematography (even the simplest scene where one of the characters was shaking out a piece of cloth in a factory was so well thought out and beautifully done). The dialogue was so "normal", not contrived at all - when I learnt later that it was the Filipino actors who translated Ellis's English script into Tagalog, the local language, I was all the more amazed.

I loved how Ellis was able to capture the religiosity of Filipinos, without appearing to be condescending - he just treats it like a normal way of life, which it is in the Philippines. If you ever get to see the DVD, watch the featurette - it's as engaging as the film itself and shows how much of a committed artist Ellis is.

The actors Jake Macapagal and John Arcilla are absolutely amazing. Macapagal was so convincing as a country boy - simple, honest, a man whose only desire was to give his family a good future; you see the pain in his eyes and can't help but feel for his character, and in the end respect him for what he did. Arcilla has once again proven himself to be a great actor - he had a few minutes' exposure in the film The Bourne Legacy but they were very memorable; and in Metro Manila he was brilliant.

Too bad this film did not make it as a finalist in the Oscars foreign film category - more people would have seen it, and have appreciated Ellis's wonderful work.

This is a highly recommended film.

Floral Design Glass / Polished Chrome Touch Table Lamp
Floral Design Glass / Polished Chrome Touch Table Lamp

4.0 out of 5 stars small and light, 25 Dec. 2013
Other reviewers have said that the lamp is small - it is. But the size is just right for my bedroom. I had a touch lamp before and it was heavier and a bit bigger. This one was lighter.

Doro Phone Easy 605 GSM Sim Free Mobile Telephone - Dark Grey
Doro Phone Easy 605 GSM Sim Free Mobile Telephone - Dark Grey

1.0 out of 5 stars problems after just three weeks, 29 May 2013
I bought this product for my mum. I decided on this product based on the reviews of other buyers. I tested the phone when it arrived and it seemed all right. But just after three weeks, the screen already had problems - my mum said all she could see were lines. I want to return it to the seller to get a refund but I already threw away my receipt and the phone is with my mum who lives abroad. I am very disappointed.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 29, 2013 5:26 PM BST

Eat Rich Quick: The Smart Cheater's Guide to Cooking Well
Eat Rich Quick: The Smart Cheater's Guide to Cooking Well

3.0 out of 5 stars Was expecting more recipes, 26 Mar. 2013
I bought this book after reading a review in a Philippine newspaper. But I was a bit disappointed when I found out that there were only a few recipes in this book. T be fair, they really are a cheater's guide - giving short-cuts to preparing meals. But it was not really what I was expecting. I have had this book for two months now but have not even tried a single recipe.

Levv Glass Stand For Plasma & LCD TV Up to 37-inch or 40kg - Black Glass with Black Legs

4.0 out of 5 stars a bit heavy, 24 July 2011
Needs two people to lift the box. But it's easy to assemble. Looks good too. I've seen similar items on display in street markets and in stores and this item on Amazon is the cheapest I've seen.

LG 37LK450U 37-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p LCD TV with Freeview
LG 37LK450U 37-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p LCD TV with Freeview

5.0 out of 5 stars very happy with this purchase, 22 July 2011
I was amazed by how vivid the picture was. I own another LCD TV (different brand, older) and I could tell that this LG product is technologically much better. It took a while for me to figure out how to assemble the TV on the stand and had to rely on the illustration that was included in the box. This for me is a top quality product given the price.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 29, 2011 8:19 PM BST

1.8m - Mini DisplayPort / Thunderbolt to HDMI Cable by Neet® - ( VIDEO Adapter lead for Apple iMac- Unibody MacBook - Pro - Air & PC with Mini DP etc. )**Supports Audio**
Offered by Neet Cables

5.0 out of 5 stars It does what it says, 21 July 2011
I'm very happy with this purchase. Although I would have preferred a longer cable, you can't beat the price. Other dealers/suppliers sell this for up to £39, and to think that I almost bought one at a store!