Profile for G. M. Ward > Reviews

Content by G. M. Ward

G. M. Ward (St Albans, UK)

Who's That Girl?: A laugh-out-loud sparky romcom!
Who's That Girl?: A laugh-out-loud sparky romcom!

4.0 out of 5 stars Mhairi's best to date, 21 April 2016
Mhairi's best to date. Edie is a compelling character, and the descriptions of Nottingham will have you considering a move to the East Midlands.

Macbook 13 inch decal sticker Iron Man Power-up art for Apple Laptop
Macbook 13 inch decal sticker Iron Man Power-up art for Apple Laptop
Offered by Cozee

4.0 out of 5 stars this is still one of the best looking Macbook decals on the, 19 May 2015
As has been noted, the instructions are dreadful. But with a little but of patience and common sense, this is still one of the best looking Macbook decals on the market

Olympus 8 x 40 DPSI Binocular
Olympus 8 x 40 DPSI Binocular

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice piece of kit, 13 July 2014
Very nice piece of kit, and fantastic value. I bought them to watch cricket, and was a little nervous that most reviews were about watching wildlife. No need. I've just come back from a day at the Test Match where they massively increased my enjoyment of the day. I was able to focus on the players, I could read every badge and sponsors label, following the bowler's run up and the batsman's response. Highly recommended.

St Albans T-shirt (Adult 2XL)
St Albans T-shirt (Adult 2XL)

4.0 out of 5 stars Now that's what I call service, 3 Feb. 2013
Same day hand delivery (OK, I live in St Albans, but that's still pretty impressive). Good looking t-shirt. Would have been 5* had it been on a slightly higher quality tee than Fruit of the Loom Valueweight. This may well be a favourite and I don't want it to wear out too quickly.

Hand Painted Wooden Children's Knights & Nobles Chess Set
Hand Painted Wooden Children's Knights & Nobles Chess Set

2.0 out of 5 stars Looks great, but not perfect, 2 July 2011
This is a beautiful set. But beginners really need to know the classic shape of the pieces. When a Knight doesn't look like a "horsey", how do you explain that it moves in a completely different way to a Bishop, and has a completely different role? How do you explain the difference between a king and a queen when the only thing that differentiates them is the paint job. I would love to see these kid-friendly designs applied to a Staunton set.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 9, 2011 7:35 PM GMT

Netgear WGXB102 54 Mbps Wall-Plugged Wireless Range Extender Kit
Netgear WGXB102 54 Mbps Wall-Plugged Wireless Range Extender Kit

3.0 out of 5 stars Nightmare to set up, but does the job eventually., 25 Nov. 2008
Take note of those who say that the written instructions are useless. In fact, they're worse than useless, they're plain misleading. You do need to use the installer utility on the disc (sorry Mac users - I have both Macs and PC's on my network, but had to resort to the PC for setting this thing up), and even then I ran into problems. I followed the instructions and headed to [...] to set up a secure connection... only problem, that was the incorrect location. So I had internet (sporadically), but it was insecure, and the Netgear box fought with my router over who my computers should talk to, even in parts of the house where my router had the stronger signal.
Eventually I sought out advice on the Netgear forum and downloaded Network Magic. I was then able to use that to sniff out the correct address for the GUI by a process of trial and error, by going to the address of each of my "network devices" in turn.
I was then able - at last - to set up a secure connection.
Was it worth the three months it took to get this going? I have to admit there were times that I considered chucking it in the bin and running an ethernet cable down the garden to my office. But now it's working, it's the ideal solution.

Griffin RoadTrip 6050-ROAD - FM Transmitter & Charger for iPods - Black
Griffin RoadTrip 6050-ROAD - FM Transmitter & Charger for iPods - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Ideal solution for some, 23 April 2007
I'm using this in a Toyota Corolla Verso, and couldn't be happier.

The Verso's lighter is quite high up, so this mounts very conveniently next to the indicator switch, between the steering wheel and the radio. Consider how it will work in your car; if your lighter is low down, or behind your gearstick, this may not be the solution for you.

Radio reception is much better than with my old itrip; even in the South East with a very crowded dial, I haven't had problems - and the single is strong enough to cancel out weak stations. If you do get interference, changing wavelength is simple.

Repeatedly taking my 4th Gen iPod out of the roadtrip has scratched the back of my ipod - not a big deal with a 2 year old ipod. And if your ipod is new - get used to it. It will scratch sooner or later.

12"/80s Vol.2
12"/80s Vol.2
Offered by the_record_factory

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Mix.., 27 Jun. 2005
This review is from: 12"/80s Vol.2 (Audio CD)
Have to disagree with llorenna. We didn't need vol 2 to be a retread of ground covered in the first set, and this doesn't disappoint. A number of real classics here - particularly at the more Indy end - and some songs which were definitley at their best on the 12" format. Pig Bag's "Papa's Got A Brand New Pig Bag" seemed to be in the Indy chart for years in the mid 80's, and remains brilliant. I'm presuming that "Big Decision" by That Petrol Emotion is one of the "never-heard-of-it" songs referred to in the earlier review? Too bad, it's a great song, by the bit of the Undertones who didn't go all wet on us. Nice to see some FGTH on this volume (though I would have preferred Relax to Two Tribes), as well as the first 12" single that I ever bought - Soft Cell's Bedsitter - every bit as good a 12" as Tainted Love, and the classic Pet Shop Boys debut. Malcolm Mclaren's Madame Butterfly - one of the singles from Fans - his excellent album fusing electro, hip hop and opera, is another highlight. The big question still remains though - where is Blue Monday?

Sidetracks
Sidetracks
Offered by westworld-

4.0 out of 5 stars The ones that got away, 21 April 2002
This review is from: Sidetracks (Audio CD)
In his liner notes, Steve is at pains to insist that (with the exception of two instrumentals he regrets leaving off Transcendental Blues), this is not an outtakes cd; rather it's a collection of unreleased or unexposed "stray" tracks. From film soundtracks to album bonus tracks, with one live track, this almost inevitably lacks the completeness of Steve's recent albums. Nonetheless, it contains some absolute gems. A 50-50 mix of Steve originals and cover versions, and an extraordinary range of styles from country rock, to reggae via grunge and Irish folk. Worth buying if only for the versions of Dylan's "My Back Pages", the Flying Burrito Brothers "My Uncle" recorded live, and - especially - Nirvana's "Breed". The latter - originally released only as a bonus track on the Japanese release of Transcendental Blues,
- is if anything, even better than the original.