Profile for Mad Sez > Reviews

Content by Mad Sez

Mad Sez "Sarah" (Derbyshire, England)

Page: 1 | 2
Simply Spray Soft Fabric Paint 2.5 Ounces-Brite Yellow
Simply Spray Soft Fabric Paint 2.5 Ounces-Brite Yellow
Offered by Ideal Home projects Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok if you don't want to pay a lot or need it to do a professional job, 5 May 2014
The paint spreads out a lot so be careful, I would recommend pouring it into something and using a paint brush rather than spraying. Colour is good, and it lasts well as well.

The Little Coffee Shop of Kabul
The Little Coffee Shop of Kabul
by Deborah Rodriguez

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read, 5 May 2014
Plus points for this book are that it is fast paced and has some really interesting characters that you can connect to. The culture of Afghanistan is fascinating, and this gives you an insight into the detail of what lies behind the news stories we see on TV. I like chick lit novels, which is what this is, therefore I liked how everything was tied together in the end and the strong theme of love in it.
Slightly more negatively I thought that the stories of the 5 women's lives were not developed enough meaning that when some major events happened towards the end they did not have the impact that they should have done. I also thought that there was less exploration of the women's relationship with each other than there could have been, particularly between Sunny, Candace and Isobel.
A thousand splendid suns and the kite runner are beautiful masterpieces that do not compare to this, however I still thoroughly enjoyed it and would recommend it to anyone, particularly if you have never read a book about Afghanistan before.

The Flavours of Love
The Flavours of Love
by Dorothy Koomson

3.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 30 April 2014
This review is from: The Flavours of Love (Paperback)
Without wanting to give too much away, there were several themes to this book, in addition to the main theme of an unsolved murder. Sometimes this can make for a bitty read where nothing really fits in or is tackled in detail, however I think Dorothy Koomson tackles the themes really well and they all link in perfectly to each other, enhancing the main storyline and adding depth.
On the negative side, the book felt too long for me at times and I wanted to get to the end, I think maybe the characterisation in this book was not as strong as in others of this genre. There are some books where the characters stay with you after you have finished reading, unfortunately this was not one of those books. Also, I agree with some others on here, the reason why Saffron withholds information from the police about the day of the murder doesn't seem justifiable, which disappointed me and was the one thing about the book that was unrealistic.

Secrecy
Secrecy
by Rupert Thomson

1.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't even finish it, 31 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Secrecy (Hardcover)
It is rare that I don't finish a book but unfortunately I had to this time as it was one of the most dull books I have read in a long time. The story was extremely slow paced and the characters were unappealing and 2 dimensional, I got about half way through and it felt like nothing had happened. My advice - don't waste your money!

The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared
The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared
by Jonas Jonasson

2.0 out of 5 stars Just a bit too far fetched, 10 April 2013
The book wasn't too bad for the first third but it quickly got increasingly boring for me. Firstly, the plot line just got increasingly preposterous and ceased to become funny. Secondly, I quickly tired of the writing style, which is written entirely in the third person, seems to lack emotional description and feels quite stilted. Thirdly, the main character Allan comes across as someone who does what he wants without over consideration to others, I didn't mind this at first but from about halfway through it began to annoy me and I found the parts that looked back on his life overlaid with facts and boring. Overall this book felt like it would be better as a short story or maybe a one off tv programme but the plot was too thin on the ground for a novel.

You Had Me At Hello
You Had Me At Hello
by Mhairi McFarlane

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok but underwhelming, 23 Feb. 2013
This review is from: You Had Me At Hello (Paperback)
This is an ok read if you don't want anything too taxing or deep and you like this kind of genre, however I think there is a lot better out there. The reasons I felt underwhelmed were that firstly aside from one or two scenes, I didn't find it laugh out loud funny, as described. Secondly, the story didn't really come to life for me in a way that made me want to keep reading, and whilst the characters are likeable enough I never felt that I warmed to them in a way I have warmed to other characters in books. All in all, an inoffensive, ok read but doesn't set the world of romantic fiction alight.

The Casual Vacancy
The Casual Vacancy
by J. K. Rowling

5.0 out of 5 stars This Harry Potter fan was not disappointed, 31 Jan. 2013
This review is from: The Casual Vacancy (Hardcover)
The main reason why I am a huge Harry Potter fan is the excellent character development, which is what drew me in here. I didn't mind that the story was slow to get going as it meant you were able to get into the characters, which ultimately meant that the final part was all the more gripping. I don't want to give any clues to the ending but it was the most powerful I have read in a long time and it stayed with me long after I had finished it. It was a book you could really immerse yourself in and a definite must read!!!

Fifty Shades Trilogy Boxed Set
Fifty Shades Trilogy Boxed Set
by E L James

2.0 out of 5 stars Over-hyped, 19 Jan. 2013
The best bits of the entire trilogy were the first half of book one (the sex scenes haven't yet got repetitive, Christian and his controlling ways are at that point intriguing and Ana's inability to say the word 'vagina' hasn't yet begun to grate) and the second half of book two (the plot line becomes interesting at this point). Half way through the third book I realised that I was only reading it to find out what happened at the end, which actually in hindsight wasn't worth it as by that point I didn't care enough about Ana and Christian to feel all dewy eyed at their happy ending. The plot line is weak and unbelievable (for example what graduate gets promoted to editor within a week of their first job in a publishing company and what man can tell a womans bra size just by looking at her?)and Christian is actually so controlling that in the end it becomes annoying. We are told that Christian has had weekly therapy every week since he was a teenager and has tried and failed at every therapy going, which tells you a lot. If I was his psychiatrist I would have told him to get over himself and kicked him out of therapy a long time ago, no matter how much I was being paid. Most of the moments in the books are pretty forgettable, however one thing sticks out in my mind... did anyone else find that the scene with the tampon made them feel queasy?

Kiss Heaven Goodbye
Kiss Heaven Goodbye
by Tasmina Perry

3.0 out of 5 stars good escapism, 11 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Kiss Heaven Goodbye (Paperback)
I thought that book was enjoyable to a point but ultimately too long. Practically all of the book is focused on the seemingly idyllic, multi millionaire lifestyles of the characters, which whilst fun to read about initially, after a while just became tedious. I also thought that there could have been more focus on the original incident on the island, which would have made for more suspense in the book. As it was most of the suspense came from how many extra millions the characters made and wondering who the next person was that they would fall into bed with. Having said that these things are certainly interesting to read about, particularly whilst lying on a sun lounger on holiday, however sometimes you just want a bit more...

Before the Storm
Before the Storm
by Diane Chamberlain

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read, 26 April 2011
This review is from: Before the Storm (Paperback)
This is the second Diane Chamberlain book I have read and I have to say I think she is better than Jodi Picoult. Where I think she does better is the way in which she brings the characters to life so vividly; I wanted to read on not only to see what happened with the plot line but because I really enjoyed reading about the characters. My particular favourite was Andy as I loved his innocent, black and white take on everything. All I can say is buy it and read it, you won't be disappointed.

Page: 1 | 2