Profile for JW > Reviews

Allah, Liberty and Love: The Courage to Reconcile Faith and Freedom
Allah, Liberty and Love: The Courage to Reconcile Faith and Freedom
by Irshad Manji

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent start for us all..., 18 April 2012
I wasn't sure what I was going to get with this book as I've not read the other book (The Trouble with Islam Today: A Wake-Up Call for Honesty and Change) by Irshad and I've never really taken any notice of the reform movement, at least until now. I'm very, very glad that I bought this book because it's well written and thought provoking and perhaps most importantly it draws attention to the very real reform movement. As someone who bought into the conservative Muslim bandwagon and then promptly fell off, this is precisely the sort of thought that I have been looking for.

If you're offended by the idea of reforming Islam then read this book and engage with the ideas it raises instead of just dismissing it offhand. Then, we can meet over a cup of chai (recipe included in the book btw) and discuss. If you're not offended then the same applies; basically buy this book, think for yourself and drink tea.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Value, 30 Jun. 2011
There's not a lot to say about batteries - all I will say is that they are great value for money and they power my stuff.

Madden NFL 11 (Xbox 360)
Madden NFL 11 (Xbox 360)
Offered by I-Deal Media

4.0 out of 5 stars A conversion,..., 30 Jun. 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
As someone who isn't a natural sports game fan I find myself suprised to be quite so enthralled by this game. It's a great mix of strategy and quick thinking action and the presentation of the game really leaves you feeling like you're "in" the world of NFL. Franchise mode is great and for a non-USA resident fantasy draft is a good place to start because it lets you build up the team and develop it's own mythology. I had no idea who F Gore was before - now I know he's an essential part of my team and I get genuinely concerned when he's subbed off with an injury. Sadly, the same level of care just isn't there with the "Superstar" mode - there's just not the same level of immersion. There's absolutely no apparent reason to suffer through the practices or any apparent reward for making an essential game changing play. A little off-field action would be great along with a little more character development. That being said I bought a sports game not an RPG and I have to say - I love it! In fact I love it so much that this die-hard non-sports fan is now waiting for the new season...

St. Matthew Passion
St. Matthew Passion

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for the Price, 23 Feb. 2011
This review is from: St. Matthew Passion (MP3 Download)
I have been hankering after a copy of St Matthew Passion for quite some time after hearing an extract on a podcast. This hits the spot exactly; it's a cheap and cheerful version. Don't expect fantastic music quality, but do expect the music itself to make you forget about any sound quality issues!