Profile for Lauren N. Davies > Reviews

Women's Peplum Bodycon Pencil Skirt Knee Falbala Business Party Dresses
Women's Peplum Bodycon Pencil Skirt Knee Falbala Business Party Dresses
Offered by miusoluk

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as described, 5 Dec 2014
Beautiful colour and fit. Excellent value for money.

Disabled Toilets - radar key
Disabled Toilets - radar key
Offered by UB Keys

1.0 out of 5 stars Discrimination at it's finest., 30 Sep 2014
(0 mins) Decide you need toilet.
( 5 mins) Look for sensible location for disabled toilet location. Find non-disabled toilets up multiple flights of unnecessary steps next to bar area.
(20 mins) Walk/wheel miles to ridiculous toilet location. Breathe sigh of relief arriving just in time, push pad to open the door. Read sign on door directing you back to bar next to said sensible toilet location (hopefully you haven't got aphasia and can read).
(25 minutes) Wait in queue. Announce to heavily populated bar that you would like to use the toilet please - promise to give back their special key.
(45 mins) Walk miles, feel bladder pull against gravity. Use toilet. Leave door open for next person out of sheer defiance for ridiculous system.
(1 hr 5 mins) Wait in queue, give key back. Become irrate. Get told that the system is there to 'protect' the valued customers with disabilities in case somebody who doesn't have a disability slips through system and spends 5 minutes in the toilet while you are forced to wait outside.

It isn't discrimination because look, you can buy a radar key on Amazon here http://www.amazon.co.uk/Unknown-Disabled.../dp/B0033FQ260 - that's fair.

Alternatively, you can buy this bucket http://www.amazon.co.uk/Drape.../dp/B003ASTETC/ref=sr_1_4... for a couple of pence more.

Before I Go To Sleep
Before I Go To Sleep

2.0 out of 5 stars Excellent concept, poor delivery, 3 Sep 2014
The concept is excellent but it is poorly written - such a disappointment. Definitely a page turner (I read it in a day), but this is the result of futile hope that the writing will improve in line with the plot as the book progresses. Watson successfully picks up the pace in the final chapter, ‘Today’, making it the most exciting section of the book.

The style throughout is VERY repetitive. Yes the protagonist has amnesia, and yes continually reminding the reader of certain things, as if for the first time, is effective to a point. But reading certain details in excess of 10 times, as the author tries to hammer this home, becomes boring. Finally, the way metaphors and questions are spelled out is as patronising as it is uninspiring.

If only the writing had been as inspired as the plot!

The Book Thief
The Book Thief

3.0 out of 5 stars Emotive, good for young teen readers, 28 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Book Thief (Kindle Edition)
An emotive book, I would have given it a higher rating if I was a young teen; I feel that this is its target age group.

Silence
Silence

2.0 out of 5 stars wanted to give 2.5 stars, didn't warrant 3 stars, 28 Feb 2014
This review is from: Silence (Kindle Edition)
I had high hopes for this book, the premise was great but the execution was largely poor.

The spelling, punctuation and grammar was so poor that I got to the point where I was highlighting errors on my kindle.

I'm a 26 year old English lit graduate, If I was 14 then I definitely would have given it an extra star. The references to coke, icecream and 'I love you' were almost unbearable but the character build up was pleasant and the relationship between the two protagonists was demonstrated well; I smiled a lot.

The book didn't explore the psychological reasons behind her selective mutism well enough; it would have been nice if there was some reference to a speech and language therapist. Also I couldn't believe, names aside, that this book was supposed to be set in England - there were a lot of cultural differences. I thought the final chapter was probably the most interesting but wanted so much more. Also no closure as to what was going on with Julian.

One Day
One Day
by David Nicholls

5.0 out of 5 stars moving, 22 Dec 2013
This review is from: One Day (Paperback)
This book moved me. I usually enjoy books about very different cultures with non-fiction woven through. This is the opposite of what I tend to read but I'm so glad I picked it up. It completely captured the personality, relationship and journey of two people. You felt like you grew up with the two main characters and willed for them to be happy together. I laughed and cried so much that I can't give anything less than five stars. Can't wait to read more from this author.

The Liar
The Liar
by Stephen Fry

1.0 out of 5 stars A battle to read, 10 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Liar (Paperback)
I desperately wanted to love this book, I love Fry and looked forward to reading it. Sadly, I found the humour boring and pretentious and never shocking. I couldn't warm to any of the characters: I agree with another reviewer ithat consequently I then just didnt care what happened to them. I found the italicised chapters, which punctuate the main chapters, almost unreadable. The only thing I liked about them was the idea of dehumanising characters and referring to them by their clothes.

Fry knows he's being pretentious and I'm sure this is supposed to be part of the charm of the book but it just left me bored and battling through chapters to get to the end and mainly to try and see the point of the awful italicised chapters. I lost the book about 2/3 of the way through and am not going to try and look for it.

Target market: horny, gay, teenage, public school boy borders with excellent vocabularies.

Shantaram
Shantaram
by Gregory David Roberts

5.0 out of 5 stars Accurate, beautiful, funny and sad. Triumphant., 19 Oct 2009
This review is from: Shantaram (Paperback)
This book was recommended to me while I was in South India. I had planned to spend 3 months in the very South and then get a flight to New Delhi and spend a few days there at the end of my trip.

After reading about 5 chapters of this book I changed my plans and booked a flight to Mumbai instead, this is where Shantaram is set. The book is incredible and the accuracy of its depiction of India from a foreigner's perspective is nothing less than amazing. You can taste the chai and the paan, smell the curry and see the changing scenes through his words. The frustration expressed by the author with dealing with a new culture is particularly prominent and this adds to its honest charm and appeal. I agree with another reviewer who expressed that there was a high degree of self importance in Robert's writing and this could SOMETIMES be a little annoying, although this adds to Lin's character; I would imagine that anyone who had experienced those things would feel justified in feeling self important. The book is like nothing I have ever read before and I absolutely loved it. If you can, read it in India :D if not, you will feel like you have been anyway.

Flowers in the Attic [Dollenganger Family Series Book 1]
Flowers in the Attic [Dollenganger Family Series Book 1]
by Virginia Andrews

5.0 out of 5 stars disturbingly brilliant, 19 Oct 2009
Although I have not read this book for a number of years, it remains at the forefront of my mind when I am asked, 'what is your favourite book?' It tells the story of the resilient young children (brothers and sisters) who are forced to grow up while being locked in an attic. The book is emotionally disturbing; the reader is drawn into the attic and feels the pain, confusion and unity of the children. If I remember correctly, there are many more tears than there is laughter. This is the perfect balance to always leave the reader feeling uneasy about any triumphs that are achieved. I would recommend it in a second, as well as the prequel (which I would read afterwards) and the sequels. It is not for the easily offended and is definitely not light reading nor is it suitable for children. What it is though is a literary masterpiece.

The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat (Picador)
The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat (Picador)
by Oliver Sacks

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 12 Oct 2009
Sensitive, witty and honest, a delight to read whether you are interested in neurology or not. Brilliant.