Profile for Normo > Reviews

Content by Normo

Normo

Page: 1 | 2
First Contact (The Last War Trilogy, Book 1) (In Her Name)
First Contact (The Last War Trilogy, Book 1) (In Her Name)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant! Read it!, 6 Oct 2013
I encourage those that love full action, well written Space Operas to read this series - and particularly this book.
One of those "I don't want to put it down" books.
If I had to say anything slightly negative, it'd be that it's a bit exhausting to read. It perhaps could do with the odd breathing space in the story.

But - stop reading this - go read the story!!

Mind-Sniper: Ultimate assassin
Mind-Sniper: Ultimate assassin

1.0 out of 5 stars Amateur writing, I'm afraid, 15 Jan 2013
I thought I'd have a look at this book as the title seemed interesting.
Unfortunately, I couldn't be bothered to continue after the first page or two as the writing was a continuing mass of poorly grammatical, poorly structured (it's useful to actually use commas to break up text!) and incorrect spellings ('taking' instead of 'taken' etc etc).

Sorry, but you really need to better structure the story and to get it proof read before making it publicly available.
Reading should be a pleasure, not one where you constantly shudder as you are reading.

The Third Side (Battle for the Solar System, #2) (The Battle for the Solar System Series)

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm unsure..., 7 Dec 2012
OK, so I'd read the first book (as it was a cheapy offer), and the decided to read the follow on.

Basically, the books confuse me...

I like the basic story, and the characters are generally pretty good (enough to make me decide to read the second, and probably the third books).

But..

This sort of leaves me a bit confused.

I've been trying to work out WHAT aspects of the books are disturbing me, and the best I can think of is that they are a bit 'unbalanced'.

One minute you are down into a lot of mundane detail about the surroundings or history of the characters (which is sort of OK, as it can flesh out the story somewhat), then you are into massive action sequences, mainly one-sided with all 'Doom-and'Gloom' for the main characters.

You sort of don't get enough successes for the main characters to give you a 'Rahh! Rahh' feel-good factor for reading the stories.

I know it sounds a bit weird (it does to me) but it sort of leaves you a bit unsatisfied!

It's a bit of a shame because, as I've said, the basic theme, construct and characters show promise.
I'd have given them 3 1/2 stars if I could have.

I'll read the next one on the hope it'll change my mind..

Voidhawk - The White Lady
Voidhawk - The White Lady

3.0 out of 5 stars Like the others - needs prood reading., 5 Nov 2012
I have read all the others and, whilst I like the concept, the characters and the basic stories, I have to agree that the lack of proof reading (and subsequent incorrect words and the sentences that make little sense) is getting more irritating.

So, I've marked it as OK, but please author pay more attention if you wish for your writing to be regarded as professional!

Voidhawk - The Elder Race
Voidhawk - The Elder Race

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite as good., 30 Oct 2012
After reading Voidhawk I was interested enough to get a couple of the follow-ons.

Again, the characters are good. Unfortunately there is even more of a need for the story to be proof read, with more incorrect words than in Voidhawk.

Another 'complaint' I had was later in the book the author seemed to change writing styles - and some sections were introduced which, on the surface, were plainly wrong. These were generally explained further on in the story.
However this technique hadn't been used before, and then to be suddenly use multiple times in the latter part of the novel I found a bit irritating.

There was also a slight strangeness with the attitude of the characters at losing crew members. In Voidhawk, Kragon was lost, with no real explanation about the appearance of the creature which killed him. They lose another member and seemed to dismiss it with little concern.

Also a couple of the tasks they are presented with seem to have little logic related to why they are required in order to solve a problem.

These appear to be writing technique tools which have not been well integrated into the main story.

I enjoyed most of the book, but again my 'reading experience' was interrupted by these inconsistencies.

Voidhawk
Voidhawk

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting - but needs prood-reading., 30 Oct 2012
This review is from: Voidhawk (Kindle Edition)
I decided to look at this book based on other reviews, and the fact it was free!

To me, it's quite interesting. I enjoyed the characters and the settings, and the adventures that the characters went through.
There were a number of incorrect words in the text, and some of the sentences were poorly constructed which grated a bit.
It'd be a simply job to proof read this book, perhaps to collect the mistakes that people had spotted, and to fix these.

Overall, a reasonable start - but needs a bit more attention to make it look professional.

The Dawning of Power (Godsland Series Bundle Book 1)
The Dawning of Power (Godsland Series Bundle Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Shows real promise..., 9 Oct 2012
I thought I'd try this book, reasonably price and I've finished numbers of others I'd bought.

Positives:

Lots(!) of action.

Good characters and they develop reasonably well.

An interesting storyline.

Negatives:

Rather too much of a continuous forward jumble - like rolling down a hill out of control. You tend to be continually left out of breath. Sort of a continuous "Into the Valley of Doom, over the Bridge of Pain, through the Flames of Hell, up the Mount of Misery etc".
My suggestion would be to put more breaks into the series of action part, allow a little more breathing space and to reduce the 'word exhaustion' that can start to cause you to skip reading, perhaps to develop a bit more of the background.

Some of the indents etc go wrong on my Kindle, which is OK but annoys just a little and detracts from the story. A bit of double-checking the format would be good.

There tends to be a bit of 'leave you on a cliff-hanger' of a situation - to have it magically resolved later on. (A bit like use to happen in Saturday morning kids cinema - if you are as old as me.) Again, it's OK but just needs to be watched a little to ensure that they are overused.

Overall, a promising start from the author. It has the 'can't put it down' factor, it just needs to cut back on exhausting the reader.

I've bought books 4 and 5 - and the faults above are even more defined in those books.

The Ascendant Stars: Book Three of Humanity's Fire
The Ascendant Stars: Book Three of Humanity's Fire
by Michael Cobley

3.0 out of 5 stars Humanity's Fire: Not quite there.., 26 Aug 2012
After finishing all of Pete F Hamiltons brilliant multiple series, I thought I have a look at some other authors.
My son suggest this series, so I gave it a go..

The positives:-

Characters seem quite good, with a reasonable mix of types (goodies and baddies) that you can identify with.
The plot is also quite good, and spans a big enough arena to fit in with what one would expect from a 'space opera' as per Peters stories.
There are enough multiple threads that wind through the individual plots to keep you interested.

The negatives:-

Michael is obviously a fantasy writer, and this REALLY gets going in this, the 3rd, book!

There are far too many weird names and descriptions used - it's almost as if he needs to use all the letters of the alphabet hundreds of times, and also seems to lean on the types of things from HitcHikers (which Douglas Adams did in order to demonstrate OTT humour and silliness) but Michael tries to use seriously. I fully expected to read about the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal and The Great Green Arkleseizure!

The excessive weirdness and things like clones of clones of clones and levels of levels of levels, for me, both overly complicated the story and got in the way of what could have been a great (rather than, at times, a frustrating) read. There was a feeling that Michael had been to a writers group and was throwing in all the suggestions the groups had mentioned to him.

Obviously each author is different, but Peter F's stories have as much complexity, characters and much more punch and 'I don't want to stop reading this' than Michaels has.

Overall, I'd say - an interesting start but if he concentrated more on KISS and less on including everything including 'the kitchen sink from the Twilight Zone' then he'd have a more punchy and readable story.

I'd give it between a 2.5 and 3 score.

The Crucible of Dawn (Science Fiction Adventure) (Lodestone Book 3)
The Crucible of Dawn (Science Fiction Adventure) (Lodestone Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Nasty man...., 9 Feb 2012
The author is a nasty man! He's gone and left me panting for more...

An excellent 3rd book of the series!
Lots of action and intrigue, right from the start and all the way through the book.
A few more characters introduced, and some others fleshed out somewhat more.
The 'cliff hanger' at the end of the 2nd book is, of course, resolved - although quite late on in this one, and more aspects of the Chandara are explained.

Without giving details of the plot - which I endeavour NOT to do - the only thing I can say is you must get this book!
(And if you haven't started reading the series - Well, get a move on! You are being left behind!)

Highly recommended series, and I'll have to go and read them all again, so that I can further savour the details.

Just waiting for the 'nasty man' to write the next one, now....

The World of Ice and Stars (Science Fiction Adventure) (Lodestone Book 2)
The World of Ice and Stars (Science Fiction Adventure) (Lodestone Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars A good continuation, 6 Feb 2012
After getting hooked with Book 1 I had to get my 'fix' with this book.
Thankfully it continues at the same pace as it left off with Book 1.

The characters are developed a bit further, and you learn more of the history (and driving) forces of the band of heroes.
Some other new characters are introduced (Rael etc) and they fit in well, without disturbing the overall feel of the story.

So, if you have read Book 1 then this is a must! If you haven't, then go read Book 1 and get this one at the same time (otherwise you'll be cross that you have to wait!).

And the story ends with a 'Ooooohhh! What is he going to do? That's not like him!' situation!

So - on to Book 3!