Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle  Learn more Countdown to Prime Day Shop now Shop now
Profile for Dr. J. Hilton > Reviews

Content by Dr. J. Hilton

Dr. J. Hilton (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Physics in Anaesthesia: for FRCA candidates, ODPs and nurse anaesthetists
Physics in Anaesthesia: for FRCA candidates, ODPs and nurse anaesthetists
by Ben Middleton

2.0 out of 5 stars Two Stars, 3 Jan. 2016
Well formatted, comprehensive, but sloppy production (multiple silly/small mistakes in both text and MCQs from page one)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 4, 2016 9:48 PM BST

Garmin Edge 810 GPS Bike Computer with Heart Rate Monitor and Speed/Cadence Sensor

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing piece of kit, 15 May 2013
This is an amazingly useful accessory for any road cyclist.

Design:
Although a little bigger than I had imagined, it looks really smart. The mount supplied pushes it out slightly in front of you, which has two results. Firstly, it's a little more comfortable to look at (because it's not so close to you), but (secondly) it can only fit in certain places (I've had to rethink where my front light goes).

Interface:
The interface is easy enough to learn to use. Once set up, starting a ride is very simple, simply pick your bike and your profile (race, train, etc.) and push ride! For when you're riding, you can completely personalise which screens you're shown and what's on those screens and in what order.

Interaction with iPhone:
I must say, the connection is flawless. When out riding, my Garmin is connected to my iPhone by BlueTooth. The reason for this is so you could get weather warnings and allow people to track you. This seems and is awfully gimmicky. I check the weather before going out, so I'm never caught off guard and the one time I tried to use Live Track it didn't work. Luckily this doesn't drain my phone's battery at all (otherwise I'd probably turn it off).

Routing:
This is the main reason I bought the Edge 810. I moved to a different part of the country and my rides were only as long as I could memorise from Google Maps. Using the Garmin Connect website, you can plan routes to send you out into previously undiscovered territory. These are then easily downloaded to your Edge in seconds (either via USB or via BlueTooth from your phone) and you can go. It takes a bit of getting used to how to set it all up, but it's brilliant once you've got the hang of it.

Cadence + heart-rate monitor:
Useful data if you use Strava, but you can set this up for stationary trainers and monitor your cadence while indoors, which is good for the serious cyclist.

Strava:
Connecting with Strava is simple. The same plugin that lets the Edge talk to Garmin Connect's website also communicates with Strava. Incredibly well designed and uploads in seconds (Strava is a good service, anyway).

Maps:
Don't buy Garmin's maps! They're expensive and no better than OSM. Google for the OpenStreetMap Garmin-compatible ones (they're free), then buy a cheap microSD card from Amazon . You can get worldwide maps that you can update as often as you like for less than £10 this way.

Price:
This is one expensive piece of kit for something a free iPhone app *could* do (although not very well and with a lot of accessories). I bought it cheaper elsewhere, but this package was still over £300. Cycling isn't a cheap sport, as I'm sure most are aware, but this is a well turned-out piece of kit that will hopefully last a long time!

Overall:
I am pleased with the device. Before this, I was using the Strava iPhone app, which just tracked GPS location calculating average speeds. The navigation capability was the deal maker for me because I was getting bored with my rides. It has kept me a happy cyclist!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 27, 2014 9:26 PM GMT

Complete Revision Notes for Medical and Surgical Finals, Second Edition
Complete Revision Notes for Medical and Surgical Finals, Second Edition
by Kinesh Patel

2.0 out of 5 stars OK but not "complete", 17 April 2012
This book gives a whistle-stop tour of most things you might expect to come across in finals. It arranges itself by condition, not by presentation, as may have been better, especially for topics like jaundice. The specialties section is also a little scant. For example, there's nothing on deliberate self harm or suicide risk, something that my medical school is quite hot on. A definite positive in the book is the nice pictures.

All in all, this book is OK, but in no way could this suffice for your revision notes. I would recommend the OHCM & OHCS if only for their completeness and more engaging writing styles.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Big and quiet!, 15 Jan. 2012
I am very pleased with this purchase. It reformatted to a Mac-compatible file system following the instructions that came with the drive in seconds. It now serves as a Time Machine back-up drive.

There is no power button, instead it does not turn on until both the power and the USB are connected and turns itself to sleep after a few minutes' inactivity. The drive still appears on your computer when in this power-saving mode, and only takes a second or two to come back to life when you try to access it.

The drive is very quiet - much more so than the Iomega drive it replaced.

Regarding speed, it took a few hours to back up my entire hard drive, but that is to be expected.

In conclusion a good drive, well made with simplistic but satisfactory instructions and an intelligent power-saving feature

Principles of Medical Biochemistry: With STUDENT CONSULT Online Access
Principles of Medical Biochemistry: With STUDENT CONSULT Online Access
by Gerhard Meisenberg PhD

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent text, 8 Feb. 2011
I've had this book for several years and cannot recommend it highly enough. Very few textbooks in the medical field are so clearly, succinctly and interestingly written, despite the American spelling (look up "heme", not "haem" etc.). This book was excellent for my pre-clinical and then clinical studies as a medical student, and its uses are growing almost daily during my intercalated year.

No medical student's bookshelf could be complete without this book.

Epson Stylus DX3800 All in One Colour Printer, Scanner and Copier
Epson Stylus DX3800 All in One Colour Printer, Scanner and Copier

1.0 out of 5 stars Slow, pricey and incompatible, 26 May 2006
Not long after getting this monstrosity did it run out of black ink. The thought that this was just because of the first ink cartridges came and went once the second had gone.

We switched to compatible ink cartridges. When we started to print, it asked us if we wanted to: a)void our waranty or b) take out the compatibles. We voided our waranty. Ever since, we can't see the ink levels, and when one cartridge goes, we don't know which one.

A pricey decision.

I definitely would not buy this (it wasn't my idea to get it in the first place). Try a printer and a scanner seperately, if you want both, it'd be quicker, easier and most likely cheaper - in my experience, electronics with more than one job are asking to break.

Imation 18648 CD-R 52x 100pack Spindle
Imation 18648 CD-R 52x 100pack Spindle

5.0 out of 5 stars not a single dud, 13 April 2006
I've had these discs a while now, and I have only 2 or 3 of the 100 left. Not a single one has written badly or whatever. I only use them at 52x on my LiteOn writer.

Brilliant discs!

Physics (Revise AS & A2 (Combined))
Physics (Revise AS & A2 (Combined))
by unknown

4.0 out of 5 stars Good revision guide, 9 April 2006
It goes into high detail on all the course material. It even tells you at the beginning what you have to learn for your board.
The perfect companion to any A-Level Physics revision

Canon LiDE 60 Colour Desktop Flatbed Scanner
Canon LiDE 60 Colour Desktop Flatbed Scanner

5.0 out of 5 stars A Stand-up Scanner (pun intended), 9 April 2006
I've had this scanner for over a week and I have to say it's brilliant. It just stands up on the side of my desk at home. When I need it, I take it out of the clip and I scan. There's only one cable (USB - no power as LEDs use like no power) it scans to PDF, the OCR software I'd never heard of, but it's great and the quality is fantastic.
If you want a scanner that is easy to use, portable, doesn't take up too much room and isn't that expensive, the LiDE 60 is the scanner for you.

Chemistry (Revise AS & A2 (Combined))
Chemistry (Revise AS & A2 (Combined))
by unknown

4.0 out of 5 stars a good revision guide, 25 Feb. 2006
I can't say that this revision guide is the sole reason I got an A last summer, but I can say that it helped. It covers all UK exam boards and goes into everything really quite well at AS and A2.
This book is just the AS and the A2 revision guides in one book, which can lead to confusion when using page numbers and/or finding the index (numbers start again in the middle, just before which there's the AS-Level's section's index).
Saying that, I have to give a word of warning, there are some aspects where I had to use my notes to supplement this or, where holes still laid, use an absolutely brilliant website I found (I can't list it here-sorry!). I did Edexcel Chemistry, for those who were wondering.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 18, 2008 8:15 PM BST