Profile for Mr. P. G. Chesters > Reviews

Content by Mr. P. G. Chesters

Mr. P. G. Chesters (London)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
Speedy Accessories Curtain Draw Rods, Clear, Pair, 125 Cm
Speedy Accessories Curtain Draw Rods, Clear, Pair, 125 Cm
Offered by Homestore International
Price: 15.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Broke track glider, 24 Jan 2013
I moved into a rented flat with very large 10 ft curtains the are difficult to move.

Bought this and you have to clip it onto the second track glider.

The diagram on the pack shows a glider with the curtains hanging from the side of the glider with a hook underneath. (Harrison drape/decorail).

Mine is the swish type with just one hook underneath for the curtain hook.

Put it on there and moved the curtain and it broke the curtain glide off the rail.

Which to put it mildly is a real nuisance as it is the second hook from the end.

So can't recommend this for large curtains.

Premier Housewares Clip Desk Lamp with Dot Design - White
Premier Housewares Clip Desk Lamp with Dot Design - White
Price: 11.39

3.0 out of 5 stars Does its job, 22 Jan 2013
A friend has some brand new expensive LED GU10 spot bulbs as his wife didn't like the color.

I needed some more light in the kitchen as as its a rented flat I looked for a small clip on spot light that I could use a convertor socket on.

These do the trick. They clip on the kitchen shelves, and I have bput in an ES14 to GU10 convertor for the bulbs.

The bulbs stick out a bit because of the convertor, but you can buy ES14 LED spotlights.

The 4-Hour Chef: The Simple Path to Cooking Like a Pro, Learning Anything, and Living the Good Life (Official UK Edition)
by Timothy Ferriss
Price: 18.69

4.0 out of 5 stars Read it in the hotel with a good bottle of wine., 21 Jan 2013
My experience of this book is like meeting an interesting stranger in a hotel restaurant and sharing a meal and drinks and a cognac in the bar with him.

At first you find him very interesting - he has a wide knowledge on a variety of things, learning, languages, cooking:

Some of the stuff you know about or had similar experiences so it validates what you are saying; some of the stuff you think from your own experience - that's not true, or that won't work, but you don't say anything even if you violent disagree with it. Some of it is of no relevance to you and you find boring. But some of it is interesting and you think I'll note that down and follow it up

And then you think "OMG the guys a psychopath" when he starts talking about killing and skinning rabbits, swinging chickens to break their necks etc.

And then you think "OMG this guy is going to go on for ever and ever".

Some of the things I'll follow up
splitting cooking into prep and pick up
whisking the wine with a hand-blender to aerate it
The lemon squeezer
using herbs in my omlettes
change in the way I'll poach eggs
slight change in the way that I do omelettes (from the Jamie Oliver method)
killing lobsters (when I feel rich).
Buying the Perfect pickler set to make sauerkraut (which I already make)
Putting herbs and spices into water to get a feel for them

Some of the things I disagree with
learning Knife skills is difficult - Norman Weinstein book/DVD Mastering Knife skills make it easy.
You can get around with the most used 200 words of English or any language. In the list of 100 words you won't find coffee.
The graph showing his speed in learning languages doesn't prove his system works. Its well recognized that Spanish is far easier to learn (particular in California) than Japanese and even without formalising a system you would have learnt something with each new language. Now if he had taken a year to learn Spanish, which is the easiest language to learn according to the FSI, and then 8 weeks to learn Japanese (the hardest language) then that would have been impressive

Some of the things not too convinced
You need a Dutch oven - surely it is cheaper (at least in the UK) to use a slow cooker.

Some of the things that didn't interest me (living in Eastbourne)
Remington rifle
killing bears with a bow and arrow
killing chickens
skinning rabbits
making nitrogen ice cream

If Tim really intended to write a book about how to learn a new skill or how to cook, he's failed miserably. As an entertaining evening in a hotel room with a few glasses of wine it works magnificently.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 28, 2013 10:51 AM GMT

A Swing for Life
A Swing for Life
by Nick Faldo
Price: 13.59

1.0 out of 5 stars Not so smart book, 17 Jan 2013
This review is from: A Swing for Life (Hardcover)
This is a quick review for whoever like me does not know what a smart book is.

Well its a book that contains small multicoloured squares. where if you download an app to your mobile you can scan it, and it will give you access to the videos.

If like me you have a five year old Samsung on a 7 a month contract with Virgin this is the promised land.

Maybe I'll get a smart phone to film my stroke, keep my handicap and have a golf map GPS, but until then I have to make do with the pictures in the book, which don't give full story.

(That's if the videos actually exist which the reviews on Amazon.com suggest have been taken down).

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't work, 12 Jan 2013
I wanted this to convert a small spotlight with an E14 bulb to take GU10 LED bulbs that a friend gave me as he didn't like the light colour.

Unfortunately, it didn't work. I know its not the LED bulb as there are three of them and they worked perfectly at my friends.

I assumed it was a connection so tried screwing some more and the bottom metal bit came apart from the rest of the fitting, so I had to get it out with a pair of pliers.

The fitting is also not the same as the picture - green instead of black at the bottom and the indents at the bottom holding the metal are shallower.

So as this was quite expensive a complete waste of money.

Leifheit Long Handled Dust Pan and Brush Set
Leifheit Long Handled Dust Pan and Brush Set
Price: 21.48

4.0 out of 5 stars Expensive but, 12 Jan 2013
I biught one of these and then when I moved house I left it behind and bought a cheaper similar looking version on the net,

I bought it for parquet floors and for the tiled kitchen floor.

One disappointment was that when it arrived the edges of the brush was splaying open, and the brush fits into a hole in the pan, this makes it worse. I also found that the tiltable brushhead made things worse rather than better - however despite the short handle it did keep the floors clean.

What is good is that the pan stays vertical with the brush attached. With the pan you can keep things in it, leave it in the corner for reuse, and just empty it out once a week or whatever.

The cheaper pan (about half the price), came with screw together handles in parts rather than a solid handle. It has slightly more problems with the tiltable head, but at least its not splayed out. Brushing is similar.

What it doesn't do is to stand up vertically on the pan. I have to lean it against the corner to stand up.

So whether its worth 10 for the pan to stand up vertically on its own is up to you.

Mens Wax Flat Cap (WXC01) (Large, Navy)
Mens Wax Flat Cap (WXC01) (Large, Navy)
Offered by The Hat Company
Price: 9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Value for money, 9 Jan 2013
I originally looked at one in M&S but they did not have my size and they were out of stock, even online.

This hat is cheaper than the M&S one, but it is also a lot thinner, material (wax plus liner).

The advantage of that is I can fold it and put it into the packet of the jacket quite easily.

Disadvantage I guess is that it is not so warm.

I got the blue after having read other reviews so it is a blackish color that matches the wax jacket.

I am 7 1/8 and the large fits perfectly
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 16, 2014 9:21 AM BST

ProCook Knife Block Double Slot
ProCook Knife Block Double Slot

3.0 out of 5 stars Overpriced, 3 Jan 2013
I have an eclectic collection of six knives, the largest of which is a 23 cm Wüsthof chefs knife.

Previously they were on a magnetic knife rack (I know you shouldn't do this as you can nick the blades) but as I have moved into rented accommodation I was looking for a stand alone solution.

Normal knife blocks I find too big so this slim looking version appealed.

I now have it and function wise and beauty wise it is good.

It takes the 23cm knife no problem, as well as the other knifes. The back just has one knife slot, but the one in the front is divided into a large one and two smaller ones. I don't use the one for the sharpening iron.

I think its good and looks good but I feel it is expensive for what it is, particularly as on mine the metal plate at the bottom is not screwed on properly on one side, so the block tilts at a bit of an angle. (I'll get around to sorting it eventually).

They also charge 4.95 for the Fedex overnight delivery but it took three business days to get to me.

Fellowes Bankers Box Transit SmoothMove Extra Large Removal Box (Pack of 5)
Fellowes Bankers Box Transit SmoothMove Extra Large Removal Box (Pack of 5)
Price: 27.90

3.0 out of 5 stars Too big, 12 Dec 2012
I bought these extra large boxes as per the recommendation for bedding etc as I was doing self packing but in the event the removal guy said it was better to put these in plastic bags as you can then fit into furniture etc, so I unloaded the stuff out of them.

Design wise I found the boxes from Claus Olson for the smaller sizes (also sold as extra strong in Shurguard) better.

These fold out as well so no need for tape. the handle is reinforced and the top fits together (and can be reopened) better than the fellowes.

The ones I bought from Ebay were rubbish.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Thicker than expected, 28 Nov 2012
I was looking for a slim wallet that takes a 20 note with no wasted space (very very rare that i have 50 notes).

And this does so that's great.

However, what I hadn't realized (as I bought it elsewhere with different pictures)is that there is a large credit card slot on the outside of the wallet.

Useless to me as I keep my credit cards separate from my money in a separate holder and unfortunately it makes the wallet quite stiff and thick.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 7, 2013 10:08 AM BST