Profile for Mr. P. G. Chesters > Reviews

Content by Mr. P. G. Chesters

Mr. P. G. Chesters (London)

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12
Welcome To The N.H.K. 01
Welcome To The N.H.K. 01
by Tatsuhiko Takimoto

1.0 out of 5 stars Written in German, 7 July 2010
Its not really clear above, although if you look at the name of the translator and publisher you might guess, that this is the German addition.

Fortunately I can read some german, so its good practice but not what I was expecting.

Logitech Cordless Mediaboard pro (Bluetooth) (PS3)
Logitech Cordless Mediaboard pro (Bluetooth) (PS3)

2.0 out of 5 stars Keyboard warped and does not stay flat, 27 April 2010
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
I bought this to go with a Samsung NC20

Originally the Samsung bluetooth would recognise it, and I can type in the security number, but then it would not pair up.

This was fixed by updating the bluetooth drivers in the computer.

However the keyboard seems to be warped and won't stay flat, and rattles when I type

The Noetic Universe
The Noetic Universe
by Dean Radin

2.0 out of 5 stars Mutton dressed as lamb, 24 April 2010
This review is from: The Noetic Universe (Paperback)
I bought this based on the title and the fact on the cover it says the author is a senior scientist at the Institute of Noetic Science. In fact it is a reissue of a 1997 book the Concious Universe, with an extra two page introduction.

This might be a good book in 1997 but as it misses 13 years reserch and says nothing about the Noetic Institute research it is basically a con.

Power Presentation: Formal Speech in an Informal World: How to Put Presence into Your Presentation
by Patsy Rodenburg

4.0 out of 5 stars Really needs photos of exercises, 15 Feb 2010
The exercises in this book have no diagrams and the descriptions in some cases are very difficult to follow. What exactly does "hold a chair above your head" mean?

It was only after I found by chance in the National Theatre bookshop an old DVD of her teaching a class (A voice of your own), that I could understand it and it came together.

The exercises in the DVD are virtually the same as the book - only the principle of the positions is not in it. Even the chair exercise is in.

Once things came together and I did the exercises on a regular basis then I could feel and hear the changes to my voice.

My conclusion is that it is effective and powerful once put in practice, but if you are serious it is worth investing in the book and the DVD.

How to be an Existentialist: or How to Get Real, Get a Grip and Stop Making Excuses
by Gary Cox

5.0 out of 5 stars You will like it is you liked the Matrix, 11 Feb 2010
This is the first and probably the last book on existentialism I have read, and other than a short bit in a psychology course, which I didn't understand or thought was very useful I have a beginners mind to this book.

I bought it because it says on the cover how to get real, get a grip and stop making excuses. The first time I saw the book I was browsing, which is covered in Page 1, but the second time I was more deliberate, and opened at page 2, which is about deliberately buying the book, so I did.

It is quite funny, without being LOL, unless you are a social security scrounger or a feminist, in which case you might want to pass. I managed to get to around page 40 without getting stuck, but from the discussion of whether acorns have a future or not onwards I found it heavier going.

It is designed for people who realise that life is pointless, and what do you do then. I thought before he mentioned it that the principles of being authentic and avoiding bad faith were like Buddhism, and more so like the Carlos Castaneda's Toltec philosophy or the Matrix, but he has managed to boil it down into quite a small book. However, as he points out it is easier said than done.

I think you will like it if you liked the Matrix, but if you would have taken the blue pill I suspect it is not for you.

Hopefully this review is authentic, although I suspect it veers towards the pretentious, in which case it is not, so I have some way to go.

The Talent Code: Unlocking the Secret of Skill in Maths, Art, Music, Sport, and Just About Everything Else: Unlocking the Secret of Skill in Sports, Art, Music, Maths and Just About Everything Else
by Daniel Coyle

4.0 out of 5 stars Good overview, 11 Feb 2010
This is written by a journalist, and so it is really a fast moving overview and inspirational, but you would need to go elsewhere to find the details if you wanted to apply specific techniques.

The basic premise is that people get more skilled at doing something because they have increased the myelin shield on the neurotically pathway that applies to that skill. This myelin degenerates if it is not used, so you cannot lose a habit you can only use a new habit that eventual takes over.

Therefore you to be skilled at something you have to practice it. What build the shield is practising at the edge of what you know, making mistakes and correcting them. He calls this deep practice. That's it basically. He also gives examples of coaches or teachers who did bring success out of people, i.e. the Russian tennis club, John Wooden, but you would need to go elsewhere to get depth on what they did.

He points out the need for a spark phase, like the first Korean WPGA winner encouraging other Koreans, but that's not something you can control, and in any event anybody who has watched Kdrama will know that things are different over there.

Some of his examples turn out to be wrong or dubious. As of this year, JaMarcus Russell is the worst quarterback in the NFL, and has been criticised going off to Vegas and missing a team meeting, so clearly that didn't work. Wiki has also identified some controversial points about the KIPP schools

Michel Thomas Method: Japanese Advanced Course (Michel Thomas Series)
Michel Thomas Method: Japanese Advanced Course (Michel Thomas Series)
by Helen Gilhooly
Edition: Audio CD

4.0 out of 5 stars Works very well for me, 25 Jan 2010
The Advanced course is a direct continuation of the Foundation course, with the same students. There is however a different teacher, Niamh Kelly, who seems rushed than Helen Gilhooly on the Foundation course, and to be honest I couldn't understand her at the start.

There is not much extra vocab building on the course, instead it builds mainly on the existing verbs to on the verbs including various combinations of te and ta forms so at the end you can say such things as " I do things such as watching a film and doing shopping".

All in all if you enjoyed the Foundation course you will get a lot out of this. So far the Michel Tomas have been the best for me in terms of stickability. I have found the Rocket Japanese very disappointing in this respect and I am not too convinced about spaced repletion using flash cards.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 3, 2011 7:25 PM BST

Samsung NC20 12.1-inch Mini-Laptop (VIA Nano U2250 1.3GHz, 1GB RAM, 160GB HDD, Windows XP Home, White) (discontinued by manufacturer)

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 5 Oct 2009
I bought this to replace my Downstairs laptop which I had for about five years and was stopping working.

Use it for writing - Open Univeristy essays, watching DVDs and Music, browsing and streaming - mainly TV programs.

Also occasional use when travelling

Had the Samsung for almost two months and very happy with it - although I upgraded the memory straight away.

Does all the tasks above very well. Good connection to wireless hub.

The CPU often goes to 100% when streaming but the viewing quality is the same as my desktop upstairs.

I have not found the bright screen to be a problem in the conditions I use it.

Keyboard is adequate to do essays and things - I loaded Office 2000 and it works well.

Tracking pad is OK.

Bit of a nuisance about the keyboard layout but now got used to it. Also discovered you can use the spacebar for page down in browsing which I didn't know before.

Bought the LG08 NC20 external DVD drive to go with it and workds well.

There seem to be morepowerful 12.1 inch coming on the market now for about the same price so I won't give it five stars.

LG Gp08nu20 Slimline USB 8x External DVDRW Drive
LG Gp08nu20 Slimline USB 8x External DVDRW Drive
Offered by Media Trade Giant

3.0 out of 5 stars More flakey than I initally thought, 3 Oct 2009
Update:

After a year I have found it is more flakey than I initally thought.

It won't play DVDs and indeeed some CDs that the DVD reader on my main PC will play - or someintes it will play them and others not.

The mini USB at the back also comes of easily.

Original review

Bought this to go with a Samsung NC20 running XP

Got it running and playing CDs in two minutes

Attaches with a Y USB cable that takes 2 ports but is not a problem for me as I do not use a mouse.

The discovered that the XP does not have the codec for DVDs.

Loaded up the software that came with the palyer and it took forever.

Then when I wnet to paly the DVDS on PowerDVD it says it does not have the Dolby sound and you have to pay extra.

This is pants.

Had to dinstall the PowerDVD and load to Media Player Classic which is free from the Internet and had the codecs included.

Basically wasted an hour of my life.

Works fine now (for over a month) excpet that the mini USB at the Player end can come lose without you realizing it.

Bosch PEX 400 AE Random Orbit Sander
Bosch PEX 400 AE Random Orbit Sander

1.0 out of 5 stars Discs wont stay on, 15 July 2009
Unfortunately even when new the sanding discs which are velcro type only stay on the pad for about two minutes.

When they come off they won't sty back on due to dust on the back.

As a result to finish the job I am going through a mountain of discs and discarding ones that are hardly used.

Looking on the web others have had the same problem.

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12