Profile for Megan ReadingInTheSunshine > Reviews

Content by Megan ReadingI...
Top Reviewer Ranking: 65

Megan ReadingInTheSunshine (England)
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
I'll Be Watching You
I'll Be Watching You
by Beverly Barton

5.0 out of 5 stars My first time reading Beverly's books - won't be my last!, 22 Oct 2014
This review is from: I'll Be Watching You (Paperback)
This is my first book by Beverly Barton, and I was really keen to start reading and see what her stories were like.

Ella is frightened and scared for her life after she receives a series of hand-delivered letters. Someone is out there – watching, wanting her, and promising revenge. Ella will do anything to discover the truth, even if that means joining forces with a man who comes with his own danger warning…

I really enjoyed this! I haven’t read any crime books recently so it was great for me to get back into them, and this one was just what I needed! I was instantly pulled in from the first chapter and I did not want to be parted from it – I’ll Be Watching You is impossible t put down.

In this case I’m keen not to reveal much about the storyline – I went in without knowing much and for me it was SO MUCH better that way as I was constantly on thr edge of my seat, constantly surprised and I didn’t know which way the story would go. Reading it this way also made it more enjoyable for the characters – I didn’t know who to trust or what the motives were for the person who was sending Ella letters and s I desperately wanted to read on to find out what would happen to Ella and if she would ever uncover the truth.

I’ll Be Watching You isn’t just a story about crime or a thriller, it has mystery, suspense and even romance and some steamy scenes in. This is a story that will have you intrigued and absorbed from the very beginning, I’m looking forward to reading more from Beverly.

After: 1
After: 1
by Anna Todd

5.0 out of 5 stars Pulls you in from the start - A book that will be talked about and raved about - A must read!, 21 Oct 2014
This review is from: After: 1 (Paperback)
Tessa is a nice, sweet girl with a nice, safe boyfriend back at home. Tessa is full of ambition and driven and her perfectionist mother intends to keep things that way. But when Tessa starts classes and moves into her freshman dorm, she quickly runs into Hardin – hot Hardin with his tattoos and cocky British accent. Tessa should hate Hardin, but she finds herself drawn to him….

I will say I am aware that this originally started out as One Direction fan fiction, I had even read the first few chapters on Wattpad a few months before after hearing all the hype about it, so I knew the background of the story. However I need to state I am not a huge One Direction fan in the slightest, I like a few of their songs if I hear them on the radio, but that’s the extent of it. I totally appreciate their fanbase though and I think their fans do a fabulous job of supporting them! It’s just at nearly 25 and married, I feel a bit old for them, so for me I was reading this as a story and not imagining Harry or the other members.

But what a story! Anna Todd I applaud your amount of emotion in this book, I just want to hug you and high five you for writing SUCH a variety of emotions and for making me feel so much! You should be proud of this story and of your supporters too! THANK YOU.

Hardin, Hardin, Hardin – he is such a bad boy! With tattoos, his attitude, and his general personality – I knew we were in for a rocky ride with him. He is genuinely quite an arrogant boy, but completely charming too – I felt like Tessa and I was COMPLETELY taken by him. One minute I swooned and I loved him, and the next minute I wanted to yell at him – but throughout I JUST COULDN’T PUT THE BOOK DOWN. I needed to know what would happen next, what Hardin would do or say next, to be honest I needed to know like I needed air I was that hooked! I liked that I didn’t love all of Hardin, I liked that he wasn’t perfect and had his awful moments as well as his hot moments because it made me involved. I wanted to shout at him for being selfish sometimes, I wanted to make him see how what he did sometimes hurt others, but I also wanted good things for him – I wanted him and Tessa together, and I couldn’t tear myself away from those moments!

I must admit at times I wanted to see Tessa and have a talk with her about how she was treated, but at other times I couldn’t help but REALLY root for them and cheer them on! I LOVED the moments when they were alone together and were loving, but when it came to the more fierce moments I was gripped.

There are many supporting characters to get to know too – Steph, Landon, Tristan and Zed to name a few, but each character definitely pulls you in and holds you there.

I was constantly surprised by this book but for me the ending was a big jaw dropper. WOAH I DID NOT SEE THAT COMING. I sat in shock, and my husband had the task of hearing me pour out all my SERIOUS feelings and emotions about this part. Trust me you’ll have strong feelings by the end of this book! But if anything it has made me DESPERATE FOR THE NEXT PART. Anna Todd, I cannot wait to continue the #Hessa journey!

After is definitely a book that will be talked about, gushed about, raved about and most importantly – it is a book that will make you FEEL and have such strong emotions about. Make sure you buy a copy!

On the Fence
On the Fence
by Kasie West

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVED it, 20 Oct 2014
This review is from: On the Fence (Paperback)
I AM IN LOVE.

Braden was swoon-worthy, and I loved ALL of Charlie's family, especially her brother Gage :) This is a beautiful slow romance and oh I LOVED the parts by the fence so much - it makes me wish I'd had a boy next door!

The thing I was perhaps MOST EXCITED about was that characters from The Distance Between Us make a tiiiiny appearance! Caymen and Xander were in it for a few lines and oh it was just FANTASTIC to know that they were around :) Skye had more of a role in this book and I LOVED when she came bounding into the pages :) I LOVE SKYE. Even Toad got a mention :D

If you are a Kasie West fan or even just a contemporary fan then this is for you!

The Year I Met You
The Year I Met You
by Cecelia Ahern

4.0 out of 5 stars Very involving and full of surprises, 20 Oct 2014
This review is from: The Year I Met You (Hardcover)
I’m already a fan of Cecelia Ahern – I’ve always loved her novels and so I was really eager to devour her latest book The Year I Met You.

Jasmine loves her sister and work, but when her work is taken away, she is devastated. Neighbour and radio DJ Matt loves his family and drinking, but without them he hits rock bottom. On New Year’s Eve, their paths collide, and as the year unfolds, an unlikely friendship starts to blossom…

I do love Cecelia’s writing style – she has a way of drawing you in with her words, and the story flows very easily so I sped through it. I liked Jasmine’s relationship with her sister – I liked how much she loved her sister and how caring she was for her sister, that really warmed my heart. I think Matt was my absolute favourite in the end.

I particularly loved all the garden references and the theme of garden life throughout the story. Cecelia covers a range of serious topics in this novel, and cleverly weaves these in with touch of laughter and entertainment. The Year I Met You is a book that is full of surprises, I thought I knew which way the story was going but I was surprised! Loyal fans of Cecleia will be delighted to have a new book to get lost in, and new readers will enjoy this one too. A very thought-provoking novel.

Beneath the Moon and the Stars
Beneath the Moon and the Stars

5.0 out of 5 stars Emotional, involving and romantic!, 18 Oct 2014
Amelia Thorne is a new writer and I LOVE new writers because it is exciting not knowing what you are going to get, and with the potential to discover a wonderful story and a new favourite! So with that in mind, and Amelia’s stunning book cover, I was very keen to start Beneath The Moon And The Stars.

Joy Cartier has been all over the world and to man places in her life, but nowhere has ever felt like home. But moving into a tiny cottage in the beautiful village of Bramble Hill sounds like the PERFECT plan. Then she arrives, and the people of Britain’s Friendliest Village are anything but welcoming. Even her neighbour Finn Mackenzie, a reclusive Hollywood star, looks at her and walks the other way. And when the village animosity steps up a gear, it is the infuriatingly brooding Finn who keeps coming to her rescue….

I loved this I loved this I loved this! From the very first page Amelia Thorne captured my heart and my soul and had me constantly wanting to read on.

I had so much rage in my heart for the villagers – how dare they be so unfriendly to Joy?! Reading about them just made me support Joy more, I desperately wanted her to find her “home” and to really feel like she belonged, and I rooted for her all the way til the end. Joy is such a lovely person, she has so much good in her heart and really cares about others, no matter whether it is family or friends, she truly cares for them all. I particularly enjoyed the friendships she formed too.

I absolutely LOVED Finn – handsome handsome Finn….he will make you all swoon! I love a handsome brooding man and Finn is that and so much more! I loved his interactions with Joy and I always was SO eager to get to the next scene where they would both feature.

There are many more characters I could gush about but I want you all to experience and fall in love with them the way I did! Beneath The Moon And The Stars takes you on such a journey with the characters, it is emotional, involving, romantic and intriguing all at the same time! Amelia Thorne has created a FANTASTIC story and this is one to purchase, curl up on the sofa with and enjoy!

Burying Water
Burying Water
by K. A. Tucker

5.0 out of 5 stars Emotional with a real edge to the story - this is one you won't want to put down!, 9 Oct 2014
This review is from: Burying Water (Paperback)
A young woman is left for dead in rural Oregon, but miraculously survives. Waking up in hospital with no idea who she is or what exactly happened to her, “Jane Doe” renames herself “Water” for the hidden marking on her body – the only clue to her past. Taken in by a kind old lady on a house farm called Ginny Fitzgerald, Water begins to build a new life. And as she begins to piece together slivers of her memory, she wonders who the next-door neighbour is? The one that she feels she recognises but Ginny won’t let set foot on the property? 24 year old Jesse doesn’t know when Water will get her memory back, but for her sake, he hopes the answer is never. He’s know she’s much safer that way, but he’s finding it hard to keep his distance…

Woah….just one BIG WOAH. This story is AMAZING and involving and I am genuinely left speechless by K. A. Tucker’s brilliant writing.

The opening chapter in particular just hit me right in the heart. It was shocking and had my attention straight away, and from that moment onwards I was quickly pulled into Water’s story, and I was desperate to read on to find out what would happen next.

I really liked Water – I loved that she is a strong woman. She has been through some very horrific things and suffered a hard time, and is now faced with trying to get her life and memories back together, but through all this she shows such strength and courage and I really admired that in her.

K. A. Tucker tells the story in the past and present, matching this with the voices of Water and of Jesse. Words cannot describe how much I loved this way of telling the story, as it not only enabled us to learn about Water’s life before as well as her present situation, but we also were able to get to know Jesse too and how he is involved in the story. I must admit I fell completely in love with Jesse from the start, I loved seeing him through Water’s eyes, and reading his memories of the past too. I liked that Jesse wasn’t a straightforward character ether, he has his flaws but the one thing that really stood out for me is his strong desire to protect and to love.

K. A. Tucker writes with SO MUCH EMOTION that just pours from the pages and straight into your mind, your heart and your soul. I was so emotionally involved with the characters, the story and I was very sad to reach the end as I felt I knew them all so well! Burying Water is a story that takes things to a whole new level in terms of strong vivid characters and emotion. With so many layers and a real edge to the story – Burying Water is a novel that you won’t want to put down. I can’t wait to read more from K. A. Tucker!

Breaking Nova
Breaking Nova
by Jessica Sorensen

5.0 out of 5 stars Emotional & compelling, with characters you REALLY care about, 9 Oct 2014
This review is from: Breaking Nova (Paperback)
I am a HUGE fan of Jessica Sorenson, I loved her Ella and Micha series – and so I was very excited to read Breaking Nova!

Nova Reed had dreams of becoming a famous drummer and of marrying her true love, but it was taken away in an instant. Now she’s getting by in any way she can, which means doing thing the old Nova would never do. Every day seems to blend into the next, that is until she meets Quinton Carter. Quinton once got a second chance at life, but he doesn’t want it. Faced with constant reminders of what he’s done and what he’s lost, he has sworn never to let happiness into his life. Then Nova makes him smile. Can Nova and Quinton both have a start over in their life?

I really enjoyed this! What I love about Jessica Sorenson is that she has an addictive writing style that pulls you in from the very first moment and refuses to let you go until you have consumed, lived and breathed the whole story.

Jessica tackles some very sensitive and tough issues in this novel, but it is written VERY well and I found myself hooked to the pages desperately wanting to read on to find out what would happen to both Nova and Quinton. I really liked Nova, although her life wasn’t as she wanted it to be, I admired her personality and her continuous strength that she showed. I also loved Quinton, and I loved what Nova brought out in him especially.

Breaking Nova is very emotional, I found myself captivated and my heart genuinely ached for the characters I was reading about. Nova and Quinton both have a lot of raw emotion and feelings inside of them and I really felt for them as their journeys progressed. Breaking Nova is an involving, emotional and compelling story that gets right inside of you. I cannot WAIT for the next part!

Lies We Tell Ourselves
Lies We Tell Ourselves
by Robin Talley

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping - stays with you long after finishing, 6 Oct 2014
This review is from: Lies We Tell Ourselves (Paperback)
In 1959, the battle for civil rights is raging. And for Sarah, it is her first day at school as one of the first black students at Jefferson High, which was previously all-white. No one wants her there, not even the teachers, and definitely not the students – especially Linda, the daughter of the town’s most ardent segregationist. Sarah and Linda are supposed to despise each other, but the more time the spend together, the less their difference matter…

I ave no idea what I was expecting from this book, but I was definitely not expecting everything I got from it. Wow….Lies We Tell Ourselves is truly unlike anything I’ve ever read before.

Robin Talley drew me in straight away – I was hooked from the first chapter and it is a story so compelling, captivating and heartbreaking that I could not bear to put it down. I had to know what would happen to Sarah as she joined school, and I wanted to follow her journey all the way through. Sarah’s story and her journey really brings to life everything that people went through in that time, the harsh treatment, the prejudice, and I was truly shocked by everything Sarah experienced. I really felt for Sarah and felt so strongly for her – I was horrified at the way she was treated and above all I always wanted her to get the acceptance and kindness she so deserved. I liked that the story tells things from Linda’s side too – Linda seems on the outside to be a complete opposite of Sarah, but there are more layers to Linda and it was fascinating to see her character develop and discover more about her.

Robin Talley tackles some really tough subjects in this story, and some of it isn’t comfortable reading – but it draws you in so that you couldn’t possibly put it down. Lies We Tell Ourselves is a very powerful, thought-provoking and compelling story. It had me thinking, it stirred up a lot of emotions in me and it is a story that has stayed with me long after finishing the last page.

#1 Ultrasonic Cat Repeller for Gardens - Stop Cats, Dogs, Foxes and Pests with the CatOff(TM) Powerful Electronic Sonic Deterrent - Repellant Includes Ultra Bright Scarer Lights For Maximum Effectiveness - Easy, Fast Installation Simply Stick the Rod at the Base of the Repeller Amongst Plants or Where Required - Try It and See How Well It Works Without Worry Because the CatOff(TM) Comes with Pampered Gardens(TM) 100% No Quibble 90 Day Money Back Guarantee!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very quick and easy to set up - and has successfully deterred foxes from the garden!, 3 Oct 2014
My Nan particularly has had many problems with foxes coming into her front garden, and not only making mess over her garden, but digging up some of her flowers, plants and generally causing trouble and distress. She had used a sonic repeller before (many many years ago) so I thought to give the CatOff Electronic Deterrent a try.

The CatOff Detterent is SO easy to use and install. All you have to do is unpack it, decide where you want to put it, face the CatOff in the particular area you want to protect, with the CatOff facing that area, and ensure that it is in a position where there is as much sunlight as possible so that the device can charge - the CatOff uses a solar panel to charge too so you don't have to constantly change batteries. The CatOff can either be mounted to a wall, or if there is no place to do this or you would prefer, then the CatOff comes with a spike provided that you can easily attach and insert into the ground. While setting this up in my Nan's garden, I used the spike, and I had the CatOff set up within a matter of minutes - it is SO QUICK.

The frequency settings are very easy to set - there is a button that says "frequency" and all you have to do is turn the knob to tune it to the specific frequency that you need, depending on your individual circumstance. The frequencies are:
0 - off
1 - 13.5 khz - 19.5khz - for mice, rats, dogs, foxes, martens etc
2 - 19.5khz - 24.5khz - for cats, raccoons, badgers, skunks etc
3 - 24.5khz - 45.5khz - for bats, birds, rodents etc
4 - strong flashing lights to repel animals
5 - all functions working

From looking the above list, it is clear that the CatOff genuinely caters to every possible need and covers a range of animals, so there is no need to buy different things for different animals because this one product really does cover everything! When you have it set you don't need to do anything else, and the CatOff is activated when an animal enters the sensor range, and either ultrasonic wave or flashing LED will be activated and scare them away.

The CatOff comes with very easy to understand and simple instructions for everything - from using the spike, to advice to which frequency to use, to any battery issues you may have - this company has you covered! Also if you have any further questions then they enclose an email address that you can contact them for any queries or help.

My nan has been using this product for two weeks now and she is absolutely thrilled to report back that she has had no issues or problems with any disturbances in her garden! If you are looking for a deterrent then I would DEFINITELY recommend the CatOff to everyone!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 5, 2014 9:19 PM BST

The Prophecies (The Sentinel Series Book 2)
The Prophecies (The Sentinel Series Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars A STUNNING sequel to The Sentinel, 1 Oct 2014
If you thought The Sentinel was amazing, then The Prophecies is SPECTACULAR. Holly really moves things up a gear in all areas – the action, the danger, the romance – everything is given SUCH a boost and I went through a massive range of emotions. My heart pounded as I read the action scenes, I felt frightened and protective of the characters every time when they were in danger. I laughed out loud so many times that my husband had me reading out passages, and at other times my heart broke and I was full on sobbing at what I had just read.

I was SO pleased to be reunited with the characters and they are all back and ready to fight for Eve – Seth, Eli, Quinn and Lucas to name a few! I really bonded with them in The Sentinel and it made my heart so happy to be back on the journey with them all. There are new characters to meet too – and Zach was a personal favourite of mine, he made me laugh and smile so much, and I’m hoping to see a lot more of him!

I was absolutely fascinated by the parts with the Oraculum – in these scenes we learn so much more about who they are, how they work and bits of Eve’s history with her destiny too, and like Eve I was keen to know as much as I possibly could! I thought these scenes were so well written and added another layer to this already fantastic story. The Oraculum themselves are interesting characters and I was hooked reading about their loyalties, their opinions and the way they act too.

Being a HUGE lover of Seth and Eve, I have REALLY high expectations and hopes, and I am so thrilled that it was everything I wanted it to be and more. I have genuinely never rooted for and swooned so much over a couple in my life! Their love is so intense, so beautiful and so fulfilling all at the same time. I see Seth and Eve as two halves of a whole, they seem to COMPLETE each other, and their devotion to each other and determination to keep each other safe fills me with pride and happy tears. I LOVE how they can be so intense and caught up in a moment, then so tender and gentle with their words in the next. I love how their first thought is always of each other, they give me so many emotions and warm feelings! I could gush about Seth and Eve all day! I’m not ashamed to say I actually cried with happiness at some of their scenes, and the romance is so swoon-worthy that I was reduced to a giddy and giggly fangirl every time I read about them.

There is SO MUCH more I want to say – and so many plot points I want to discuss and gush over, but I’m keen not to reveal a thing because getting to experience Holly Martin’s storytelling for the first time is truly MAGICAL and breathtaking, and her words will stay with you for a long time.

The Prophecies is a thrilling, emotional, full of suspense and romantic story that MUST be read. Centering on one girls mission to save the world, it is captivating and full of friendship, love, bravery, courage and loyalty. A stunning sequel to The Sentinel, and Holly Martin deserves to be on EVERY bookshelf.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20