Profile for Megan ReadingInTheSunshine > Reviews

Content by Megan ReadingI...
Top Reviewer Ranking: 120

Megan ReadingInTheSunshine (England)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Broadchurch (Series 1)
Broadchurch (Series 1)
by Erin Kelly

5.0 out of 5 stars Pulls you in from the very beginning - very gripping!, 22 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Broadchurch (Series 1) (Paperback)
Like MANY others, I sat down and watched the first episode f the TV series of Broadchurch not quite knowing what to expect – but from that very first episode I was HOOKED. I was drawn into a frenzy with many others, I constantly needed the next episode, I spent many hours online on Twitter discussing theories with my friends, and dissecting every single move characters made. For me personally, Broadchurch was one of the BEST shows I’ve ever seen….so how would the book add up?

The concern that readers might have about this book is that they may be one of the many people like me that have seen the show first, and so essentially know the storyline and the outcome. However let me just tell you – do not worry if this is the case, because there is SO MUCH MORE in this book.

One of the things that I liked most about the novel is that you can really get inside the minds of the characters, Erin Kelly has written it in such a was that you can really feel for the characters and see more of their personal viewpoints. I felt Ellie’s frustration at DI Hardy coming onto the scene and being given the promotion that was going to be Ellie’s. I felt for Ellie as the case about Danny Latimer came in and she discovered it was her friend’s son, and her son’s best friend, who was dead. I also felt desperately for the Latimer family – as I read on, their anger, sadness, feelings and emotions really came through.

Throughout, I genuinely felt like I lived in the Broadchurch, I felt as though the people I was reading about had been my neighbours for years. Even though I had seen the TV series I was still so gripped and hooked by the novel – it drew me in instantly and had my attention throughout. The subject is one that really stays with you and I found myself racing through the book, my head full of emotion, tension and nervousness about reaching the dramatic conclusion of this terrible crime.

Broadchurch is an absolutely fantastic book that pulls you in from the very beginning, with many twists and turns as it delves into the lives of the Broadchurch residents and uncovers the secrets that they may be hiding. Thoroughly recommended.

The Postcard
The Postcard
by Leah Fleming

5.0 out of 5 stars A compelling story that I thoroughly recommend, 20 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The Postcard (Paperback)
In 2002 in Australia, Melissa discovers a postcard addressed to ‘Desmond” among her late fathers things, and determined to discover the identity of Desmond and his relationship to her father, she embarks on a journey of discovery….

I thoroughly enjoyed this! Leah Fleming is a very talented storyteller and like many others I was instantly drawn into the story from the very first page.

I particularly love how Leah manages to cleverly weave the past and the present together with particular threads and themes – oh it was just enthralling, involving and I did not want it to end! I was hooked reading about the past and what had happened with Caroline, I was gripped by her situation and I constantly wanted to read on to discover more about her journey. It is a truly emotional journey and I’m very keen not to give anything away but I really felt for the characters.

I really liked Melissa as a character, I liked her determination to find out about Desmond and the past and I was cheering her on because I really wanted her to find out what had happened in the past. The Postcard covers such a selection of locations, such as Egypt, Australia and Scotland, and the descriptions are so vivid.

The Postcard is an emotional, compelling story that will capture your attention from the very first page, and it is a book that I recommend with all my heart.

The Distance Between Us
The Distance Between Us
by Kasie West

4.0 out of 5 stars A VERY cute story, 17 Aug. 2014
I LOVE Kasie West. I love her and I just LOVE her stories!

This is cutesy, it is romantic, and it has a lead female who has THE BEST sarcasm in the world. And then there's Xander....swoooooooooon! He is the definition of smooth! I just loved it there are no other words.

A beautiful, cute story.

Nantucket Blue
Nantucket Blue
by Leila Howland

4.0 out of 5 stars A lovely read for the summer, 17 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Nantucket Blue (Paperback)
I REALLY LIKED THIS. Full of summer, sand, holiday jobs, romance and friendship.

I could feel the sunshine on my skin as I read this. I loved Cricket, I also really loved her friendship with Liz who she works with at the inn.

This is a LOVELY romantic story covering friendship, growing up, and discovering life and yourself.

Leila Howland has me dreaming about the beautiful colours of Nantucket Blue and Red.

Really looking forward to reading Nantucket Red.

One Last Blind Date
One Last Blind Date

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic - full of fun and romance!, 6 Aug. 2014
Sarah Jenkins has just turned thirty and her best friend Amy really knows her – so while Sarah dreams of a girls only weekend, some pampering or a designer bag she’s been eyeing up for months – Amy completely surprises her by giving her a six-month subscription to the online dating service SoulMates4Everafter. Despite never trying online dating before and being unsure, Sarah likes the sound of the testimonials and the brochures of perfect couples riding off into the sunset, so she tries it. But when she has trouble putting her profile up, she comes into contact with Gabriel, an unlikely guardian angel from the company’s tech support department. With Gabriel’s help, will Sarah be able to find her way in the world of online dating?

Ohmygosh WORDS CANNOT DESCRIBE MY SHEER LOVE FOR THIS BOOK! I want to hug it, I want to re-read it – I want to be best friends with both Sarah and Gabriel!

I loved Sarah straight away – she is SO likeable, down to earth and I think everyone will be able to relate to her. For me personally it was like she was an extension of myself – I have a similar personality and I have this habit of getting into a variety of strange and funny scenarios in the same way Sarah does so I felt like I knew her on a personal level – she really spoke to me and I identified with her so much. I laughed with Sarah so much that my cheeks hurt, I cringed with her at some of the truly awful and embarrassing dates she went on, and most importantly I got behind her and cheered her on all the way through her dating journey!

Gabriel is brilliant on so many levels – he is funny, he is lovely – I want him at the end of my phone! And the other man in this book are a wonderful variety – each is fascinating in their own way.

I don’t want to spoil anything by revealing any more because it is FANTASTIC and you need to go into it without knowing too much. but I will say that it made my heart so happy – I smiled until my cheeks hurt, I laughed until I had tears streaming down my face and I was snorting with laughter and giggles. There are many swoon worthy moments that will have you believing in true love and rooting for characters!

One Last Blind Date is charming, funny, full of fun and romance – you need this on your shelves! Erin Brady is a fantastic author that EVERYONE should be reading.

Ugly Love
Ugly Love
by Colleen Hoover

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful and emotional - WOW!, 5 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Ugly Love (Paperback)
When Tate Collins meets airline pilot Miles Archer, he is passed out in front of her apartment. She knows this definitely isn’t love at first sight – and they wouldn’t even go as far as to consider themselves friends. But what they do have in common is an undeniable mutual attraction. Once their desires are out in the open, they have the perfect set up: Miles doesn’t want love and Tate doesn’t have time for love – so that just leaves the sex. Their arrangement can be simple so long as Tate can stick to the two rules Miles has for her – Never ask about the past and don’t expect a future. But can they stick to this?….

Ohmy words cannot describe my feelings for this book! As soon as I had finished reading it I was torn between wanting to immediately gush all my feelings out on here and re-read the whole novel again because I LOVED IT SO MUCH!

I felt such a connection with this story – it felt like I was involved in the book and a part of the story with Miles and Tate. This book made me SO emotional – I poured all of myself into the story as I read and I felt shattered into a million pieces yet exhilarated by this stunning story. At points I was crying hysterically I can’t even describe how touched I was by what I read…I am already a huge fan of Colleen’s books but Ugly Love completely BLEW ME AWAY.

The chemistry between Tate and Miles is sizzling and I am talking scorching hot – some of their scenes together took my breath away! And as their agreement gets a bit more complicated as emotions and feelings come into it, Colleen had me hooked! I was dying to know where it would go and I eagerly devoured every scene of theirs, whilst crying, smiling or yearning for more. The lines and the words they both say ruined me and melted my heart all at the same time – I never knew I could feel SO MANY emotions for one book!

I particularly loved that Tate and Mile’s story is interwoven with the past and we get to see Miles when he was younger – it helped me learn so much about how he became the person he is today – there are so many parts to him, so many elements and things he has gone through that makes him the person he is with Tate. I LOVED everything about Tate too – Colleen has written such fantastic characters with deep personalities, backgrounds and they are characters that you can really get behind.

One thing I LOVE about Colleen’s books is the sheer passion in them – in the words she writes, in the actions of the characters, the lines they say – everything. Colleen Hoover puts all of her heart and soul into these books and it shows because what we get is a beautiful and emotional story that brings out so many feelings in her readers!

I don’t want to ruin what is an engrossing, emotionally charged and gripping book, so I’m not going to reveal anything. But what I will say is that you won’t be the same after you read this. I was surprised, shocked, devastated and left feeling like this story had changed my life. Ugly Love is such a powerful and emotional novel that will steal your heart, capture all of your feelings and leave you breathless.

Flirty Dancing
Flirty Dancing
by Jenny McLachlan

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyable, 5 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Flirty Dancing (Paperback)
My attention was immediately caught by the cover of Flirty Dancing – I love the colours and it had me so excited to start reading!

Bea Hogg is a girl who is quite shy on the outside, but inside is fiery and full of life. When the national dance competition Starwars comes to her school looking for talent, Bea is keen to sign up and enter. However, her best friend agreed to enter with Pearl Harris, who used to be her friend. But hen the hottest guy in school, Ollie Matthews, who is also Pearl’s boyfriend, decides to enter the competition with Bea, she realises she might have more than a fight on her hands….

I thoroughly enjoyed this! I think Bea as a character will strike a chord with everyone – for me personally I found I could relate to so many things in her life and situations she found herself in. I dearly LOVED watching Bea grow as a person on her journey throughout the book, she was brave and I really rooted for her!

I enjoyed the underlying lessons in Flirty Dancing – about believing in yourself and your abilities, being able to stand up for yourself and being confident enough to be yourself, and love yourself for who you are. This is a story that I raced through – it flowed brilliantly and I found myself completely immersed in Bea’s world. I particularly loved Bea’s family and the love between them all, I loved that even though sometimes Bea thought they could be embarrassing, there was still that family love and care there.

Flirty Dancing is entertaining, it is fun, and Jenny explores a range of topics amongst dancing, romance and friendship. Brilliant.

You Had Me at Merlot: Part 4
You Had Me at Merlot: Part 4

5.0 out of 5 stars A summer essential!, 4 Aug. 2014
Having already been a HUGE fan of Lisa Dickenson and her fabulous writing, I was so excited for You Had Me At Merlot!

Elle and Laurie are two friends who seem to be the only ones left – they’re both single, they’re both not getting married or having babies or anything else remotely couple-like. Elle is TOTALLY cool with this – she’s got her independent life, her job, and she’s completely happy without walking down the aisle any time soon. But Laurie wants love and she wants it now. So when Laurie begs Elle to come on a singles holiday to a gorgeous Vineyard is Tuscany, Elle isn’t so sure. You Had Me At Merlot holidays offers sunshine, fun and the chance of romance, and with ten days in the sun with her best friend and wine – how bad can that be?

Ohmygosh I LOVED THIS I loved this I loved this! Lisa is such a fantastic writer – she always manages to draw me in straight away and You Had Me At Merlot grabbed me straight away.

I liked Elle and Laurie from the moment I first met them, I found I could really relate to aspects of their personalities and it was a truly fun and exciting ride sharing this journey with them! Even in the first part of the book, I felt as though I had known them both for years and like they were my personal BFF’s.

You Had Me At Merlot is such a feel-good book! I laughed out loud so many times and at one point I even had tears rolling down my face where I couldn’t contain myself. And the romance too – I giggled, I swooned and oh my heart MELTED.

The setting of Tuscany was BEAUTIFUL – with sunshine, wine, and vineyards, I genuinely wanted to pack my bags and hop straight on plane! Honestly wine and a vineyard in a beautiful location in a book – this is genuinely the most BRILLIANT idea ever! A tip for you all: sit out in your garden on in the sunshine with some wine while you read this – it’ll be like you’ve been transported there! Whilst reading I could see the beautiful setting, I could feel the atmosphere around me, it was wonderful. I loved the life at the vineyard, I thoroughly enjoyed getting to know all of the characters on the holiday and around the vineyard, Lisa has written a great mix of people with fun and quirky personalities and Lisa’s writing constantly made me feel like I was part of it all.

You had Me At Merlot is in four parts and I actually really liked this, as I found I could read each part in a single sitting, which is fantastic for if you’re busy, on the go or reading in your lunch break or on a journey for example. I really liked the thought that I had the next part to eagerly look forward to and I enjoyed getting excited about devouring the next part.

You Had Me At Merlot is PERFECT for reading this summer! With a gorgeous setting, fun and romance – You Had Me At Merlot is a summer essential!

A Girl Called Summer: Part One, Chapters 1-6 of 28
A Girl Called Summer: Part One, Chapters 1-6 of 28

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant story for the summer!, 1 Aug. 2014
Bella and Andy have escaped in search of a relaxed lifestyle on the sunny island of Ibiza, but with a run down house to make a home, will island life life be all it seems? Summer Larsson has always known Ibiza as her home, and sometimes it’s been lonely. But in Bella she has found the friend she’s always needed, and when Bella’s friends come along to visit, she may have found love as well…

I thoroughly enjoyed that in A Girl Called Summer, we met up again with Bella and Andy! I had missed them and always wondered about Bella so it was exciting to catch up with them and be with them as they started their new life in Ibiza. And what a place to have a new start!

This really is Summer in a book ! Lucy Lord is such a talented writer and with her descriptions effortlessly manages to transport her readers to her stunning locations in her novels. It genuinely felt like I had boarded a plane to Ibiza and stepped off of the plane into the glorious sunshine I could feel the warmth of the sun, I could sense the brilliant atmosphere and I could see the beautiful beaches in front of me.

Summer is exactly like her name – such a wonderful character and person – I really enjoyed reading about her, and I desperately want Summer for a friend. Summer’s friendship with Bella was one of my absolute FAVOURITE aspects of this book – I loved the interactions between them and the close bond that they had! Their friendship and closeness had me smiling lots.

I also feel like I NEED to mention Jack here – ladies you will SWOON over this gorgeous man! What started as a tiny crush has now exploded into full on love! I don’t even want to say any more than that because I want you to all experience everything for the first time and fall in love with all of the characters the way I have.

This book is full of some dramatic moments and tackles some issues, but it is also fun and summery and will put SUCH a smile on your face! Not only do we meet up again with Bella, but we see the return of Poppy and friends too! A Girl Called Summer is the perfect escapism wherever you are this summer – so whether you pack it in your holiday bag, or curl up with it at home – read and enjoy being immersed in this fantastic story!

You Had Me at Merlot: Part 3