ARRAY(0xa3440930)

Profile for Megan ReadingInTheSunshine > Reviews

Content by Megan ReadingI...
Top Reviewer Ranking: 46

Megan ReadingInTheSunshine (England)
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
After I Left You
After I Left You

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully written and very gripping, 6 Feb 2014
This review is from: After I Left You (Kindle Edition)
I have a been a fan of Alison Mercer’s writing since reading and falling in love with her first book Stop The Clock. Knowing how much I had loved that book, I was ever so excited to start After I Left You.

Anna has not been back to Oxford since she was at University 17 years ago, and she hasn’t seen the friends from there that she thought would be in her life forever. And Anna has tried her best to forget about her time spent there, the betrayal, the secrets, and the last night she spent with them. But on a rainy day in London Anna has a chance meeting, in the form of old flame Victor, forcing her to face everything in her past…

Alison Mercer is a wonderful storyteller, and she definitely knows how to keep her readers hanging on to every word she writes. I became completely lost in what I was reading and it was impossible to put down. I was particularly interested to know what had happened to Anna at university. Why had she cut off contact with her friends? What is the secret that she has been carrying around? I was completely gripped to the pages wanting to know more.

In the story, we go back and forth between Anna in the present day and Anna during her time at university. This wasn’t confusing at all and the story flowed beautifully from one chapter to the next.

The characters were fascinating, they were all so realistic and just jumped from the pages. I could really feel the emotion in Anna and the other characters, it was very raw and very realistic. The relationships between Anna and her friends at university were very complex, at times quite intense and I could relate to that. When you’re at college or university, the people around you become YOUR LIFE, and it does get strong and intense, so if anything happens the pain is that much more. It was interesting to read about the contrast in Anna’s life, from her time at university where she is happier and surrounded by friends to her in the present where she is less trusting of others and still carrying a secret around. I really felt for Anna and I was hooked to the story wanting to find out what had happened in her past and to see how she would move forward with her future.

I loved Anna and Victor’s story the most, it was so well-written and I thoroughly enjoyed those scenes. I tried guessing events along the way, but there were many twists that I did not see coming, and so I was left very surprised on a few occasions.

After I Left You is a very compelling novel that will have you turning the pages and always wanting to find out more.

Just a Girl, Standing in Front of a Boy
Just a Girl, Standing in Front of a Boy
by Lucy-Anne Holmes

5.0 out of 5 stars Romantic and witty with moments that will touch your heart, 3 Feb 2014
This was my first book by Lucy-Anne Holmes so I wasn’t sure what to expect, but after finishing Just A Girl Standing In Front Of A Boy, I can say I’m very much looking forward to reading more of her novels!

Jenny Taylor finally has things worked out in her life, but after meeting musician Joe King her life is turned upside down, and then on top of that boyfriend Matt proposes. And then her mum unexpectedly turns up too and Jenny’s life is thrown up in the air…

I really enjoyed this – I opened the first page and I was soon swept up in Jenny and her world, I didn’t want this book to end!

Lucy-Anne Holmes writes with such ease, the words flow beautifully and every chapter moves seamlessly from one to the next. Her humour is just brilliant and she had me giggling and smiling. There are also more serious moments that made my heart ache, and I had a few tears too. If I’m honest it just made me love the story that much more, wow.

The characters were wonderfully written – I immediately loved Jenny, her personality shone from the pages and I was really rooting for her throughout. The great thing about Jenny is that she is SO relatable, I really cared about what happened to her and I’m sure many readers like myself will instantly connect with her.

I LOVED the men in this, especially Joe King! He is handsome, charming, funny and oh how I wished he were real!

Just A Girl Standing In Front Of A Boy is romantic and witty, with a few moments that will really touch your heart. This is a truly stunning story.

The Accidental Life of Jessie Jefferson
The Accidental Life of Jessie Jefferson
by Paige Toon

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyable - a real rollercoaster ride, 31 Jan 2014
I am such a superfan of Paige Toon and her adult novels, I have loved each and every single one and I always eagerly await her new novels. This is Paige’s first Young Adult book and I was so excited to read it.

Jessie Jefferson has had the worst time of her life. Her mum recently died, and she has no idea who her real father is, as her mum kept it secret all of her life and died without telling her, leaving her with her stepdad Stu. But when Jessie discovers the truth about her real father, she is in for a shock as it turns out her dad is Johnny Jefferson – THE JOHNNY JEFFERSON – huge famous rockstar and one-time serial womanizer.

I thoroughly enjoyed this! I finished this in one day – if you’re like me and a huge Paige Toon fan or even a new reader you will find this impossible to put down!

Having read both Johnny Be Good and Baby Be Mine, which feature Johnny Jefferson and Meg in, I was SO thrilled at the thought of being reunited with them in Jessie’s story. It was WONDERFUL to be back with them, and to see them from Jessie’s perspective. I often wonder about characters after I finish a book – where would they be now? What would they be doing? And so for me this book is a dream come true! I had a huge grin on my face when reading about Johnny and Meg, and I was thrilled to see that a character from one of her previous books had a mention! I LOVE thinking of them all co-existing at the same time and being linked in each others lives.

Jessie is so realistic as a character, all of her emotions, thoughts and feelings shone out from the pages and it was as though she had stepped out of the book. I could feel her pain at losing her mum, her feelings about being left behind with her stepdad, and then her excitement and nervousness at finding out about her real father. I so desperately wanted things to go right for Jessie and for her to find her way in her new world, and so I was gripped to the pages wanting to know what would happen next!

I LOVED all of the secondary characters and I spend a wonderful time immersed in their world. I especially liked Davey, I would love to see more of him! I must admit I also have a special place in my heart for Jessie’s Stepdad Stu.

I really don’t want to spoil what is one true rollercoaster ride for Jessie Jefferson but believe me when I say that you will LOVE IT! The Accidental Life Of Jessie Jefferson is full of excitement, fun, parties, romance, family and finding your way. The most exciting thing is that there is more to come with Jessie’s story, and I can’t wait to continue on Jessie’s journey!

It Felt Like a Kiss
It Felt Like a Kiss
by Sarra Manning

5.0 out of 5 stars Romantic, enjoyable and entertaining, 30 Jan 2014
This review is from: It Felt Like a Kiss (Paperback)
I am already a huge fan of Sarra Manning and so I was thrilled to learn that she was releasing It Felt Like A Kiss! The cover is beautiful – I love the colours, the cover alone makes me swoon and I was so excited to start!

Ellie Cohen is someone who seems to have everything in life. She has a great job at an exclusive Mayfair art gallery, she has her friends, and a family who love her. Well, most things are perfect, there is the situation of her famous rock-star father who refuses to acknowledge her, and who Ellie has kept secret, and her bad luck with boyfriends. But when her ex sells a story about her to the press, Ellie suddenly finds herself surrounded by the media and everything about her is scrutinized, leaving Ellie fighting to keep her job and her reputation. Then the handsome and charming David Gold is sent in to manage things….

I LOVED It Felt Like A Kiss! I was drawn in straight away and it was one of those stories that I had to read in one sitting, I just didn’t want to be parted from it.

The novel switches between Ellie in the present day, and Ellie’s mum Ari’s relationship with rockstar Billy Kay. I really enjoyed this as it was fascinating to read about the different stories and I was equally interested in everything that was happening.

I liked that there were many things going on in the novel – Ellie’s mum and dad’s story, Ellie having to deal with the media, as well as the interactions between Ellie and David. I loved Ellie’s journey with David, them getting to know each other was so addictive to read and I really looked forward to their scenes together.

Ellie is a fantastic character, I liked her straight away and when reading about her you can’t help but desperately want everything to go right for her. I thoroughly enjoyed my journey with her and by the end she felt as if she was a brilliant friend of mine.

The romance in the story is beautifully written. Sarra Manning is a BRILLIANT writer – she had me gushing over the romance one minute then giggling the next!

It Felt Like A Kiss is romantic and entertaining, with great characters and a story you will be gripped to. I LOVE Sarra Manning’s novels and I thoroughly recommend this one!

Charade: The Games Trilogy 1
Charade: The Games Trilogy 1
by Nyrae Dawn

5.0 out of 5 stars A rollercoaster journey with two unforgettable characters - WOW, 28 Jan 2014
I had never read anything by Nyrae Dawn, but both the cover and the description had me intrigued, and ohmygosh I’m SO happy I tried this book!

Cheyenne is a 19 year old who appears to have the perfect life, she’s pretty, she’s been dating her boyfriend Gregory for a long time and everything is going great in her life. At least that’s how it seems on the outside, but inside Cheyenne is just trying to hide her past memories.

21 year old Colt appears to be the complete opposite of Cheyenne, with tattoos and a reputation as a bad boy. Colt never wanted to go to college anyway, the only reason he’s there is that it’s his dying mum’s wish for him to get a degree. So after Cheyenne finds Gregory with another girl, she decides she now needs a fake boyfriend to get back of her ex, and with Colt needing money to take care of his mum, the pair strike up a deal that benefits them both. But how long can they keep this charade up? Soon the lines of their deal blur and they find they are losing themselves in each other, and when tragedy strikes will it bring them closer or rip them apart?

Wow…I went into this novel knowing nothing about the authors writing and I read the entire book in one sitting, it was that compelling and riveting.

Cheyenne comes across as having a perfect life, and at first I didn’t feel I knew her, but then neither did the other characters as she is so guarded about her life and her past. But as the story progressed, she allows herself to open up and she lets not only Colt in but the reader too. I LOVED the slow unravelling of Cheyenne, because it allowed me to understand every single thing about her in stages, and so I really felt as though I went on a life-changing journey with her.

I loved Colt the INSTANT he came into the book. I liked his bad boy persona, I liked how he was strong enough to protect not only himself but the girl he cared about too. I enjoyed his nicknames for Cheyenne, There were many occasions where he was fierce and protective over Cheyenne and OH HOW I SWOONED!

Nyrae’s writing is so full of emotion; EVERY SINGLE page is full of raw and real emotion from the characters. And it’s not just a tiny bit of emotion, it is strong and full on and it reached out and grabbed me, and I found myself fully immersed and involved in what was going on. Colt and Cheyenne made me want to throw my fist in the air and cheer them on, I laughed with them and I cried with them – not just a few tears but sobbing with them.

I don’t want to say much more and spoil it but this truly a rollercoaster journey with both Colt and Cheyenne. There are so many interesting and fascinating characters to meet, such as Colt’s best friend Adrian, and his mum Bev, who personally I loved with all of my heart. Charade is exciting, gripping, gritty and emotional, it will tear at your heart strings and have you eager for more. I’m very excited for the next in the series, Façade, where we explore Adrian and his story – I can’t wait to read it.

Pivot Point
Pivot Point
by Kasie West

5.0 out of 5 stars A completely BRILLIANT book that you need in your life!, 27 Jan 2014
This review is from: Pivot Point (Hardcover)
I had heard SO MANY amazing things about Pivot Point and I’d read a lot about it so I was very excited to finally be able to sit down and read it.

Addison Coleman lives in the compound, where everyone can use and train their abilities to their full potential. Addie has a special gift, she’s a Searcher, and she can look into the future and see both outcomes. So when her parents announce that they are splitting up and want Addie to decide who she wants to live with, a search seems like the way to decide. In one future Addie stays with her mum in the Compound where she is pursued by the most popular guy at school, and in the other Addie leaves the Compound with her dad and goes to school with the normal people where she meets a cute but quiet artist. But when things get serious and life takes a darker turn, which future will she decide, and who is she willing to live without?

Words cannot describe how much I LOVE this book. I could literally GUSH about this book for hours. It is so beautifully written and I read the entire book in one sitting because I was just so hooked reading about Addie and her life around her.

Each chapter alternates between her searches, so one chapter is her life if she lived with her Mum in the Compound and the other is her life outside in the normal world with her dad. It was SO fascinating and truly GRIPPING to read about the differences one choice would make, as well as the knock on-effects that this choice would have on those around her. What I especially loved is how the two worlds linked with each other and so at times you could read the same scene but from different viewpoints.

The different abilities were so interesting to read about. I enjoyed the idea of the Compound and seeing how it was SUCH a contrast with the normal world. The classes at school for example were all about developing special skills, and I liked that the characters in the Compound had varied skills that I could read about. There are of course similarities I liked such as the school football team and house parties, and I liked the outside world as it was familiar to me.

Addie was a fantastic character, I liked her straight away – her personality is so warm and I especially loved that she is a bookworm. I thoroughly enjoyed her journey in both outcomes and by the end she felt like a best friend to me. I really liked her best friend Laila, I liked her feisty spirit and I never knew what would happen next when she was around!

For a long time I didn’t know which life I preferred. I originally LOVED Addie’s life in the Compound with her friend Laila and with Duke. But then as I read more about Addie’s life outside the Compound and the friends she had there, I completely fell head over heels in love with Trevor! I mean this book is worth reading for Trevor alone! Oh how I SWOONED over Trevor and the things he said! I think like me, readers will constantly change their opinions on what choice Addie should take.

Pivot Point is exciting, it is unique and it is a story that you won’t want to put down! I’m SO excited to find out what happens in Kasie’s next book Split Second!

Beauty
Beauty
by Louise Mensch

5.0 out of 5 stars Thrilling and addictive, 23 Jan 2014
This review is from: Beauty (Paperback)
The cover of Beauty is stunning, and the description had me intrigued as soon as I read it so I was keen to get started on Beauty.

Dina Kane is a woman who has worked hard to get where she is, and after the loss of her dad when she was young and a difficult relationship with her mother, this has made Dina more determined to excel in her career. Dina's determination and skills mean she's made enemies on the way, and when someone tries to destroy her, Dina's set on revenge....

Louise Mensch has created a gripping and fantastic story. I had hoped this would be a great read but wow I really loved this novel. I became lost in Dina's life and the novel flowed at such a great pace that before I knew it I had reached the last page.

The leading woman Dina is feisty, she is powerful and she knows what she wants. I LOVED reading about her life because I never knew what she was going to do next, and so I was excitedly racing through the pages desperate to find out what would happen. Thank you Louise for writing such a strong and fascinating character!

Beauty is a thrilling story of scandal, beauty, ambition, ruthlessness and revenge. This is an addictive read that will capture your attention and have you eager to get to find out what will happen with Dina. I can't wait for more from Louise!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 25, 2014 6:19 PM GMT

Wanted: Most Wanted Book 1
Wanted: Most Wanted Book 1
by J. Kenner

5.0 out of 5 stars Passionate, exciting and gripping, 22 Jan 2014
I am already a huge fan of J Kenner as I read and LOVED her Stark Trilogy. So I was VERY excited to learn that J Kenner was releasing Wanted.

I loved Evan and Angelina as characters, I liked that they each had such a deep background story and I enjoyed that J Kenner explored their back-stories and personal issues as well as giving us the relations between both of them. Their stories were very believable, heartbreaking, and I felt for them after everything they'd both been through. This made them stand out more and I felt as though

EVERYONE will fall in love with Evan - at the moment I just have to read his name and I swoon! He is handsome, he is sexy and like many ladies I have fallen head over heels in love with him! The interaction between Angelina and Evan is HOT. The passion between them sizzles from the pages and I was addicted to reading and seeing their relationship grow. Their scenes are fantastically written, every single word counts and it was THRILLING to read.

I liked that it wasn't just about the passion too, there are secrets and Evan's dark past to deal with, and some surprises thrown in. This made the story dramatic, fast paced and very thrilling, leaving me glued to my seat and racing through the pages determined to find out how things would turn out.

J Kenner has really excelled with Wanted, creating an edgy, passionate and suspense-filled novel. This is a very exciting, gripping and racy book which I'm sure will be thoroughly enjoyed by many. I cannot wait for her next book!

X
X

5.0 out of 5 stars ABSOLUTELY gripping - You need to read this book!, 21 Jan 2014
This review is from: X (Kindle Edition)
Did I mention that I LOVE short stories? I find them so great because you can just pick them up and read them so easily, and they are SO ACCESSIBLE for everyone - whether you're on a journey, want something to read in your lunchbreak, or just fancy reading something a bit shorter. And if you're going to read a short story - X needs to be at the top of your list!

X is fifteen and she thinks she's going to die. In the cellar of an old farmhouse, she starts to write a journal to document her last few days. That is, if she even lasts a few days...

I really loved this, I was drawn in from the first sentence, and I was gripped to what I was reading. Who is X? Why is she in the cellar? What has happened to her?

I loved that the story was written in a journal format, as it helped me feel a lot closer to X. It felt very personal, as though I was inside her head and knew all of her thoughts, hopes and fears. I felt for her in the situation she was in, and I always wanted to read on to find out what would happen to her. I really liked X, her determination in her fight for survival shone through and I'd love to say more but I don't want to spoil what is a fantastic short story!

I could constantly feel the tension in X's words, as if every moment may be her last, and I was completely hooked throughout. X's story is chilling, it is dark and it has a terrifying edge to it...it is a story that you won't want to put down!

Wolfsangel
Wolfsangel
by Liza Perrat

5.0 out of 5 stars A powerful story that has stayed with me since finishing the last page, 20 Jan 2014
This review is from: Wolfsangel (Paperback)
I very much enjoyed Liza's book The Spirit Of Lost Angels, and having loved her writing, I was SO excited to start on her latest release, Wolfsangel.

In 1943, German soldiers occupy provincial Lucie-sur-Vionne, and whilst the villagers are busy trying to deceive the enemy, Celeste finds herself falling in love with a German officer. But when loved ones are being deported to concentration camps, Celeste is drawn further into the war and is torn between her love for the officer and loyalty to the French Resistance.

I loved Celeste, she was such a strong female lead and I felt so inspired by her. Celeste was determined, ambitious, brave and I really got behind her and cheered her on the whole way. The courage that Celeste showed touched my heart and by the end of the book I felt so moved and as though I had been with Celeste every step of the way on her journey to help liberate Occupied France.

This is a story that is truly impossible to put down, Liza writes in such a way that you find yourself glued to every single word. I spent an afternoon transported back in time with Celeste and it was as though I was stood next to her through every moment. I particularly liked that these books have the theme of the angel talisman running through them, and I LOVED the familiarity of it.

If you haven't tried Liza's books yet then please do because they are brilliantly written, and have a story that will grip you and have you hanging on right until the very end. Wolfsangel is a powerful story that has stayed with me since finishing the last page...wow. Wolfsangel is a moving and emotional story of courage, hope and history, and is a story that should be read by many.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20