Profile for Megan ReadingInTheSunshine > Reviews

Content by Megan ReadingI...
Top Reviewer Ranking: 77

Megan ReadingInTheSunshine (England)
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-30
Ghostwritten
Ghostwritten
by Isabel Wolff

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of emotion - a real "WOW" novel, 15 April 2014
This review is from: Ghostwritten (Paperback)
I think the cover of Ghostwritten is absolutely stunning, as soon as I saw the cover I picked the book up and wanted to read it, and I was very intrigued by the description of the book too.

Jenni is a ghostwriter who writes the lives of other people. Still haunted by her childhood, Jenni throws herself into her work, losing herself in other people’s memories rather than her own. When Jenni gets a new commission – writing the memoirs of a Dutchwoman, Klara. Klara was a child in the Second World War, interned in a camp on Java during the Japanese occupation, and she has quite a story to tell. As they work together on it and get to know each other, Jenni is forced to revisit her memories too…can Klara and Jenni help each other?

Wow, I REALLY enjoyed this. It’s clear that Isabel has done a lot of research for this book and it really shows, Ghostwritten is fantastically written and it flowed so well, and if I’m honest I just completely lost myself in everything that I was reading. I was SO ABSORBED in the lives of Jenni and Karla and I could picture every scene clearly in my head.

I particularly loved Karla as a character, I warmed to her straight away and I definitely formed an emotional connection with her whilst reading about everything that had happened in Karla’s life. Karla’s story is intriguing and at the same time terrifying, and I especially felt for her reading about the hardships and moments that she had gone through with the war and the camp too. I was just…wow, I was really moved by what I read and I really cannot recommend this book enough!

Ghostwritten is a compelling and very moving novel that touched me on many occasions. It is a story to be read slowly so that you can take in every little bit of feeling and emotion, and personally I cannot wait to read more from Isabel. Wow.

Precious Thing
Precious Thing
by Colette Mcbeth

5.0 out of 5 stars Intense and captivating - this is a book that will have everyone talking, 10 April 2014
This review is from: Precious Thing (Paperback)
There has been a lot of talk about Precious Thing, and having heard so much I was VERY keen to get started.

Rachel and Clara met when Rachel was the new girl in class, and Clara was the girl everybody wanted to be their friend, and since then they were the best of friends, promising that their friendship would last forever. Now they are in their late twenties and Rachel is thrilled with her job, her boyfriend, and her life, whereas Clara’s life seems to have no direction and us spiralling further out of control. Then suddenly Clara vanishes, and Rachel begins to question just how well she knows her best friend…

Wow. I finished this book a few days ago and it is still firmly in my mind…There are so many things I loved about Precious Thing. In particular I was so intrigued and fascinated by the friendship between Rachel and Carla. It is a very intense and full friendship, and in some ways I could relate to this as it reminded me of some of the friendships I had when I was younger and how at the time they were everything to me.

Ohmy there is SO MUCH I want to say about his book but in order for everyone reading this to fully enjoy this book I won’t say. But make sure there is someone nearby because when you finish this book YOU WILL WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT. When I finished reading, I was absolutely stunned, and I got very emotional about my feelings towards this book. It got to the point that my husband turned to me and said “Where is this book?! I NEED to see what’s got you like this!” Precious Thing would be brilliant as a book club read because there are so many fascinating aspects to talk about and discuss!

Colette’s writing is gripping – I was drawn in straight away and the writing flowed so easily. I loved the pacing of the book, at many times I was gasping and my heart was racing as I sped through the pages on Rachel’s journey and I was desperate to get to the end to find out what would happen.

There are many shocking moments, and Colette wrote these moments in such a way that when they came they really hit me with such a force that for a second or two I couldn’t breathe. I thought I had things figured out, and I’ve never been so wrong in my life…wow. Precious Thing is captivating, it is intense and it is a story that will have everyone talking – definitely one of my favourite books this year.

Slammed
Slammed
by Colleen Hoover

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, 9 April 2014
This review is from: Slammed (Paperback)
One of my favourite books I've read this year.

I ship Will & Lake SO HARD LIKE ASDFGHJKL;

And Kel & Caulder are just amazing and they make me laugh so much I'd LOVE brothers like them.

Eddie is just SO AWESOME IT'S UNREAL. <3 She SHINES in this book - like the fourth of July! <3

And the poetry. Ohgosh the poetry. I wish they did slams over here! Get ready to swoon!

Summer's Child
Summer's Child
by Diane Chamberlain

5.0 out of 5 stars A captivating and intriguing story full of family, love and secrets, 8 April 2014
This review is from: Summer's Child (Paperback)
I am a long fan of Diane Chamberlain and her novels – there is always something about them that pulls me in and her stories are so lifelike!

When Daria Cato was 11 years old she found an abandoned baby, and the Cato family adopt the baby, Shelly, and bring her up. But twenty years later, Rory Taylor, an old friend of Daria’s, returns to the town and it appears that he will stop at nothing to uncover the truth about Shelly’s birth…

I thoroughly enjoyed Summer’s Child. The writing flowed easily and I instantly became swept up in everything I was reading, finding it impossible to put down. The settings were beautifully described – I really got a sense of the atmosphere and I could picture everything clearly.

I particularly enjoyed the mystery aspect of the story – what exactly had happened to Shelly for her to be abandoned? What secrets were there to uncover? I really liked Shelly as a character and I constantly wanted to read on to find out what would happen on her journey. I was truly gripped to the novel wanting to uncover the truth about Shelly - I did try to guess but I was completely surprised by the result!

Diane Chamberlain is a very talented writer and she effortlessly managed to draw me into the story so it was as though I was stood next to the characters watching the scenes unfold in front of me. Summer’s Child is a captivating and intriguing story full of secrets, love, family, and discovery.

PS, I Love You
PS, I Love You
by Cecelia Ahern

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and breathtaking, 7 April 2014
This review is from: PS, I Love You (Paperback)
P.S. I Love You was a book and then a film, but in this case I RECOMMEND THE BOOK! The book is breathtakingly beautiful. It's deep, it's moving, it will make you laugh one minute and you will be reaching for tissues the next. I cannot describe how much more the book gives you, the writing is beautiful, the descriptions are amazing, the letters had me crying and it is a book you will want to read all over again. Stunning.

Heartbeat
Heartbeat
by Elizabeth Scott

5.0 out of 5 stars Emotional, heartbreaking and one that I would thoroughly recommend, 4 April 2014
This review is from: Heartbeat (Paperback)
I only became aware of this book recently, and as soon as I heard about it I was instantly intrigued by the description and I was keen to start straight away.

Emma is devastated and full of grief over her mother’s death…but she can’t move on or deal with her grief, as her mother is being kept alive by machines, so that the baby growing inside of her has a chance at life.Emma has no idea how to move on with anything in her life, and everything no longer seems important. Then she meets Caleb, who sparks something inside of her…

I had never read a story with this subject, which was one of the main reasons I was drawn to Heartbeat but I was VERY impressed by this. The storyline had me intrigued from the beginning and I found myself becoming very involved in what was going on, to the point where I was absolutely fascinated and hooked to what I was reading, and desperate to reach the last page to find out what would happen to everyone involved.

I liked Emma, and I liked that with this particular storyline Emma goes through SUCH A RANGE of emotions, and these emotions are raw, sometimes painful, and full of many feelings. I really felt for Emma throughout all of her grief and emotion towards everything she was facing, and at times I really wanted to reach into the pages and give her a big hug. I was positively THRILLED when Caleb came along. I loved Caleb – I loved his character, his personality and I liked that he brought a whole new side to the story. Caleb had his own issues and feelings to deal with too, and I very much looked forward to seeing how Emma and Caleb would develop together.

I thoroughly enjoyed Heartbeat, and after finishing, I am now on the lookout for more of Elizabeth’s novels. Heartbeat is a compelling, heartbreaking read full of raw and emotional moments, as well as love. This is one that has stayed with me since finishing, and I definitely recommend it!

Bad Brides
Bad Brides
by Rebecca Chance

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVED IT, 2 April 2014
This review is from: Bad Brides (Paperback)
Bad Brides tells the story of two brides, each with the opportunity to be the cover bride of the magazine Style Bride….but who will be on it? With the ladies determined to come out on top, and do whatever it takes, anything could happen and things are about to get very dirty….

I completely lost myself in this fantastic story, I read the entire book in one sitting. Rebecca’s writing is so addictive and she writes with such talent that you are sucked in from the very first page. The pace is fast and fiery and before I knew it I was turning the last page. The characters are brilliant, each had their own distinct personality and ‘voice’ and oh they are all vibrant in their own ways! Brianna Jade was my favourite, I loved everything about her! I really enjoyed reading about her story and I was gripped wanting to know what would happen on her journey!

The sex scenes are steamy… and I mean steamy in the sense that you will need a bucket of cold water thrown over you to cool down! Too much? Okay, a good cocktail in your hand then! To say it is hot would be an understatement – there is a definite reason Rebecca chance is known for her bonkbusters and sex scenes…wow.

Bad Brides is flirty, it is fiesty, and it brings glamour, sex and bridezillas together into one brilliant book! I thoroughly enjoyed it and I’m already looking forward to Rebecca’s next one!

A Single Breath
A Single Breath
by Lucy Clarke

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning...I couldn't put it down!, 27 Mar 2014
This review is from: A Single Breath (Paperback)
Eva is so in love with her husband Jackson, so when he dies in a tragic accident she is left devastated. Needing closure and wanting to know more about Jackson’s life before he met her, Eva takes a journey to Tasmania to meet his estranged family. But when she arrives, things are not all they seem…

Oh my…I was left utterly speechless by this book. I know I had high hopes after my LOVE for The Sea Sisters, and A Single Breath exceeded my hopes for a brilliant story! Wow.

I was drawn in from the very first lines, and along with Eva I quickly had many questions – Why aren't things as they seem? What was going to happen when Eva reached Tasmania and found Jackson’s family?

A Single Breath is fascinating and surprising all at once. With every chapter I discovered something new and unexpected, and Lucy’s writing is so fantastic because although I had ideas of what might happen, I was wrong and I was left gasping in shock at all of the twists and turns I came across. I loved that I had no idea what would happen next, and I enjoyed that I was discovering all of these revelations along with Eva, so it helped me feel close to her and left me urging her on to uncover the truth about Jackson and his life.

The descriptions are STUNNING. I loved the scenes of fishing and diving in Tasmania, and when I was reading these scenes it felt as though I had been transported there and I was living those moments with the characters. Lucy’s writing had me looking up these beautiful places and wishing I was heading there myself!

A Single Breath is an intriguing story that pulled me in from the first page, and had me racing through desperate to know what would happen. I couldn’t tear myself away from this book, the words are stunning, the plot is complex and gripping and it is a story that has stayed with me since finishing. Wow.

Half Bad
Half Bad
by Sally Green

5.0 out of 5 stars Had me gripped from the first page!, 26 Mar 2014
This review is from: Half Bad (Paperback)
Half Bad tells the story of Nathan and his fight for survival in a society of witches. I think the description above says it perfectly so I won’t elaborate on that but I was quickly sucked in and glued to Nathan’s story and the world around him. To say this is quite a read is an understatement…I was completely blown away by what I read and even now I can barely find the words to describe my feelings for this. Wow.

I really liked Nathan from the beginning, as soon as I read the first sentence I was immediately on his side. I really felt for Nathan in that position that he was in, and everything that he has either been through or is going to face, and oh how I longed for things to go his way. Throughout the story I really got behind Nathan and I was constantly willing him on. I really want to talk about EVERYTHING but I’m really conscious not to spoil what it is a gritty, dark and amazing story.

The writing is very intense, very dark and I was HOOKED to every single word. My heart pounded loudly in my chest as I constantly raced to get to the next part. I loved the twists and turns, I was kept on the edge of my seat and it was fantastic in the way that I had no clue what was going to happen next.

The best part of this is that Half Bad is the start of a trilogy, and so like many others I am so very excited to see where the story will go next, and I am now eagerly awaiting the next part! Half Bad is a dark and story that had me captivated from the very first page.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 8, 2014 11:47 AM BST

Rags & Bones
Rags & Bones
by Melissa Marr

5.0 out of 5 stars An intriguing and fantastic collection of stories, 24 Mar 2014
This review is from: Rags & Bones (Paperback)
I am SUCH a huge fan of fairytales, thy are VERY special to me and I adore reading them in a variety of forms. I love the modern fairytales, I especially love the old original fairytales from people like The Brothers Grimm and Hans Christian Andersen. I also love to read retellings of fairytales, and tales with a spin or a twist on them, and so with that in mind, I was ever so excited about Rags & Bones.

Rags & Bones is a fantastic collection of fairytales and classic stories but perhaps not as you know them, as each one has been taken by an author and retold with a spin on it. Some will be recognisable, such as The Sleeper and The Spindle, which is inspired by Sleeping Beauty, or The Soul Collector which has elements of Rumplestiltskin, but for me, many stories were a complete surprise. All of the stories are wonderful and captivating in their own ways but for me, Neil Gaiman’s one was my favourite. As well as the stories, there are beautiful illustrations throughout!

I thoroughly enjoyed every story in the collection, they are rich with imagination and I could picture everything clearly as I read. Every story in Rags & Bones is brilliantly written, full of magic, fantasy, dark moments, and with all stories as intriguing as the next.

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-30