Profile for Merry Baskin > Reviews

Content by Merry Baskin

Merry Baskin (Cirencester UK)

The Science of Serendipity: How to Unlock the Promise of Innovation
The Science of Serendipity: How to Unlock the Promise of Innovation
by Matt Kingdon

1.0 out of 5 stars Keyboard kindle version is unreadable! Be warned!, 13 Nov 2013
I am sure this book is well worth reading but when it downloaded onto my kindle it came up as very pale grey print on white background. Impossible to read and probably eye strain inducing if you persisted. After spending a good hour with a Kindle staffer deleting and reloading, uploading two new versions of software, we still had the same wishy-washy, unreadable result. The helpful kindle person then looked at the book content preview pages on the Amazon site and pointed out that the book appears to have been printed in GREEN ink, and sometimes in GREEN ink on a TURQUOISE background. Which might explain its illegibility when downloaded onto my Kindle. Wiley, (the publishers) what were you thinking? Anyway, I have had to cancel the order, get a refund, and order an old fashioned hard copy. When that arrives, at least I should be able to read it and write a proper review. Be warned!

Tovolo King Cube Ice Trays, Red
Tovolo King Cube Ice Trays, Red

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent ice, 12 Aug 2013
I bought two trays and the cubes are mega as described, melt more slowly, keep much better/last much longer than normal cubes in a (wide mouth, natch) thermos to take on trips, easy to prise out, good colour (I got pink. Very happy.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 11, 2013 10:35 AM BST

West With The Night (VMC)
West With The Night (VMC)
by Beryl Markham

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite book of all time, 12 May 2011
I cannot recommend this book too highly. I put it into my book club and they all raved about it, and it remains our favourite book in a club that meets monthly and has done for 6 years. The other reviewers have said it all, so I have nothing to add except read this wonderful book by this amazing intrepid pioneering woman. And if you want to know more about her, which I think you will, follow it up with he biography, Straight on till Morning. (shouldn't that be 'til?)

Ein Volk, Ein Reich: Nine Lives Under the Nazis
Ein Volk, Ein Reich: Nine Lives Under the Nazis
by Louis Hagen

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, eye opening,, 2 May 2011
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one." (Popular Delusions and the Madness of Krauts - actually Crowds but it is an extremely apposite pun when you read this book). My 93 year old uncle was in the party of Royal Engineers back on 15th April 1945 that stumbled upon the Bergen-Belsen concentration camp on their way to Berlin. They were looking for petrol and followed a likely looking track, which led them to this Nazi horror. He rarely talks about it, as I know it affected him deeply, and I have often wondered how the people who dwelt nearby and did nothing, were able to do so, and to live with themselves afterwards (let alone the perpetrators). Thanks to this book, I now have some insight into how those presumably normal everyday German citizens were able to bury their consciences and forget their morals to embrace the Nazi party, and allow and even perpetrate some of the horrors.

These 9 incredible stories are in places jaw-droppingly honest, rivetingly lacking in self-awareness, scandalously selfish and self-serving, deeply personal, and undoubtedly authentic. Their voices come from a spectrum of German society and trace the hopeful beginnings of the Third Reich to its shameful defeat at the end of WWII. If I am honest, I was initially put off by the title - thinking, stupidly, that it was actually going to be a book in German. Und mein Deutsch ist pretty schrecklich. Clearly the publishers are presuming a certain readership - possibly WW2 history fans, possibly students and academics. But in complete agreement with the previous reviewer, I think everyone not just students of history should read Hagen's excellent book, and learn from it. It's a fascinating, informative and salutary read.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 6, 2011 10:54 AM BST

Marketing in the Era of Accountability: Identifying the Marketing Practices and Metrics That Truly Increase Profitability
by Les Binet

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Planner 's Library, 15 Feb 2008
A while back I attended a WARC conference on Brand Engagement, at which Les Binet of DDB was a speaker. Les and Peter Field had just completed this rigorous analysis of the 880 IPA Advertising Effectiveness case studies (submitted to the awards over its 25 year history) into the factors that make marketing profitable and highlighting some of the practices that make for greater efficiency. Such a meta-analysis makes for some powerfully informative and instructive reading, and challenges many of the industry axioms on effectiveness. It sets out some `best practice' templates, not just for award winning entries but for any brand's marketing campaign planning. I found his theme that `much of the accepted wisdom about how marketing works is wrong' particularly jaw dropping. As the authors point out: "A lot of the `rules' are in fact just hypotheses that have never been properly tested, and turn out to be false when they are tested". If you work in marketing communications and measuring effectiveness is one of your responsibilities or interests, then you owe it to your brand/client/agency/career to invest in this book. Plus it has some great fodder for batting the quantitative copy test into the ether. Always a good game.

Herd: How to Change Mass Behaviour by Harnessing Our True Nature
Herd: How to Change Mass Behaviour by Harnessing Our True Nature
by Mark Earls

5.0 out of 5 stars Feed your head and provoke your thoughts, 26 Jan 2008
Loved it! I bought this book a while ago and hoped that somehow osmotically its contents would seep into my brain from the table beside my desk (along with a few others). I finally started dipping into it over the Christmas break and found it a compelling, chapter at a time, take a few notes here and there, read. It has given a good fillip to my new year client conversations, lots to chat with them in a constructive and challenging way about how people behave and how they respond to the communications we set before them. I shall be going back to it.

Churnmore: A True Taste of Brand Management: 1
Churnmore: A True Taste of Brand Management: 1
by Richard Murray

5.0 out of 5 stars The Biter Bit, 26 Jan 2008
Hilarious. And insightful. And astute. And cruelly witty. Every Brand Manager working in a multinational should read this and weep with shame. While the rest of us on the (design, advertising, promo, DM) agency side laugh in a hollow fashion, we should take heed, because Mr Murray has skewered us all. This book now forms a key prize in the APG Brainstorming Facilitation Courses, and rightly so. It's also very beautifully designed.