Profile for punchdrunk > Reviews

The Whizz Pop Chocolate Shop
by Kate Saunders
Price: 5.24

5.0 out of 5 stars the whizz pop chocolate shop, 16 July 2012
This book was a fun,chocolatey and adventurous story.It really inspired me and also was a fantastic book for me to read. This book was so much fun, I wanted to read it again.This is my favourite book ever in the whole wide world and you should read it too.I am reading this book as part of the story lab competition.

High Performers: The Secrets of Successful Schools
High Performers: The Secrets of Successful Schools
by Alistair Smith
Price: 18.04

5.0 out of 5 stars The secrets I already knew, 21 April 2012
Just returned from a seminar at the TES resources show north, and am pleased to report that Sue Marks, Head of Withington Girls' School in Manchester, recommended this book that I myself had read and rated highly.
Perhaps it's because Smith is reinforcing my own beliefs i.e. it takes five to seven years to really turn a school around, so quick fixes can take attention from what really matters; the best leaders say no to bandwagons and new ideas; the best leaders focus on behaviour for quick fixes and slow and steady for putting in place what will really benefit the children (not always the magic 5 A*-C grades; the best leaders use robust data tracking systems, but make them simple and effective to use to improve outcomes; the best leaders build a safe environment with strong school values.
It's an easy read, and offers plenty of examples of good leadership, good management and good teaching - and I was really pleased to have my opinion of the book endorsed by Ms Marks, Head of a spectacularly successful independent school.
If you are a Level 5 leader, whose strengths are humility and a relentless focus on (and optimism about) your core educational values, this is a good book for you.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 24, 2012 5:45 PM BST

Macbeth (1997) [DVD]
Macbeth (1997) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jason Connery
Offered by globalmovies
Price: 29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best, 29 Dec 2011
This review is from: Macbeth (1997) [DVD] (DVD)
This must be one of the least known film versions of Macbeth, but one of the best in terms of clarity. I use it for teaching at GCSE, as it follows the script better than most versions, and there are few "artistic" flourishes on the part of the director, just the story told well.