Profile for Helen M > Reviews

Helen M

The Horse Dancer
The Horse Dancer
by Jojo Moyes

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings - loved half of it, bored by half, 4 April 2011
This review is from: The Horse Dancer (Paperback)
I'm not a horse lover, but found myself really enjoying the parts of the story about Sarah and her horse. I was interested in the main story about Natasha and her estranged husband, but found the sections about her job overly long and boring. Half way through the book I started skipping the stuff about her job, but at the same time Sarah's story became even more compelling. By the time that story thread reached its conclusion I was fully involved and very emotional, and found the resolution welcome and satisfying. Unfortunately I then found the epilogue rather stilted. All in all, a mixed bag, and I can't fully recommend this book.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 10, 2015 8:58 AM GMT

Getting Away With It
Getting Away With It
by Julie Cohen

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, thought provoking and feel good read, 4 April 2011
This review is from: Getting Away With It (Paperback)
I just loved this book and could hardly bear to put it down. It is a fun, fresh twist on the old classic good twin/bad twin mistaken identity plot. But fast paced and easy to read doesn't mean lightweight. The book deals with several thought provoking issues, eg Alzheimer's, and delved deep into the differing perceptions and attitudes of the main characters, both about themselves and how other people viewed them, and how this affected their behaviour.

The plot itself is interesting, with plenty of intriguing twists and turns to keep you hooked. And the main character is hilarious and very sympathetic, despite being abrupt and rude at times, particularly at the beginning.

The ending is great and very satisfying. My only slight thought is that it did seem to wrap up a bit quickly - but maybe that was because I was so sorry to have finished reading.

The Last Letter from Your Lover
The Last Letter from Your Lover
by Jojo Moyes

4.0 out of 5 stars A very enjoyable read, 22 Mar. 2011
I read this book on a recommendation from a friend, and downloaded it onto my kindle without reading the blurb or any reviews, so I had no idea what the story would be about.

At first I was not particularly drawn into the story with the present day character, Ellie. I didn't find her very sympathetic or interesting. But when the story soon switched back in time to the 1960s I found I was totally hooked.

I found the book totally absorbing and was genuinely interested in the skilfully revealed back-story and also wanted to know how things would turn out for the characters. It was smoothly written and I felt it did have the feel of the time period.
When the story switched back to the present day I was initially disappointed, and was fully prepared to skip through until the story went back to the characters from the past, but then I found myself drawn into the present day story too. I was impressed by how quickly I became invested in all the characters, and was relieved to find the ending very satisfying.

My only slight disappointment was that more wasn't made of the interesting asbestos element. And also the storyline concerning Jenny's visit to Congo only seemed to brush the surface.

All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed this book, would not hesitate to recommend it, and plan to read other books by this author very soon.