Profile for A. Hinton > Reviews

Content by A. Hinton

A. Hinton "Andy" (Brighton, UK)

CLEAR GROOVE - Advanced Vinyl Record Cleaner
CLEAR GROOVE - Advanced Vinyl Record Cleaner
Offered by Net Utopia

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific Stuff, 17 Dec. 2015
Terrific stuff. Was recommended it by a record dealer and its the only record cleaner I have used that has worked as it should. Even gets the ingrained dust and dirt out of 70' soul LPs I buy. One piece of good advice. Use the supplied cloth when you apply the fluid then polish it with a microfiber cloth.

You're Dead! [VINYL]
You're Dead! [VINYL]

1.0 out of 5 stars I Hate Everything About This Album and It Is NOT Hip Hop, 22 Jun. 2015
This review is from: You're Dead! [VINYL] (Vinyl)
Firstly I'm a huge hip-hop head. I hate commercial and gansta. I love (from the current era) Stones Throw, EL-P. Homeboy Sandman, Madlib, Doom, Jeremiah Jae, Mellow Music Group, Jonwayne, L'Orange, Blu, Shabazz Palaces. OK I hope you get where I'm coming from. I love the Flying Lotus produced track, Catfight, from, J Jae's 'Raw Money Raps' as it's brilliant. slightly off kilter, cleverly produced Hop Hop and would still be really good as an instrumental.

I bought as I have started making beats and thought I may get some ideas. Well for a start whatever some no-nothing hipster tells you it ain't hip-hop. Most of it is unlistenable horrible free-form jazz with bizarrely and horribly almost heavy metal guitar at the forefront.

I hate this album and hate what it stands for and I hate all those trendy indie shops and hipters praising it to death who wouldn't know a good hip-hop track if it hit them round the head. I also hate the fact that someone as talented as Flying Lotus has clearly let all that praise go to his head so he thinks he can make (and I don't like using this word) pretentious rubbish like this knowing that the fawning fools will still fawn. I'm not even sure if he has actually produced an entire hip hop LP yet for a rapper. Who does he want to be? A brilliant hip-hop producer like Madlib ior Dilla or someone who makes stuff that most hip-hop heads hate and will be forgotten in the future once the hipsters find some other rubbish they are told is trendy to bang on about.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 3, 2016 10:26 AM BST

Reverse Proceed
Reverse Proceed

5.0 out of 5 stars This is rather good indeed......, 22 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Reverse Proceed (Audio CD)
I'm not going to analyse this as I don't think I could but I was recommended it when I got chatting on another site to the guy who reviews it above. Anyway I remember Slam as went to The Arches a few times many years ago and Positive Education is frankly one of the best techno/house tracks ever made but didn't have a clue what they were doing now.

OK I can't think of many classic techno LPs are there aren't really. The ones that come to mind are classic mix CDs by Ritchie Hawtin. I love Detroit Techno and the Detroit sound but there was never a classic album. Aphex Twin LP's went from the sublime to tracks that sounded like some guy hammering nails into your wall. This is is Detroit influenced techno at it's purest and most hypnotic which is basically the whole point of techno as a dance music genre. I'm not sticking my neck out if I say said this about a hip-hop LP (I'm a massive hip-hop head). This is the best techno LP by a single artist that I've ever heard....serious! Even if you were a top Techno DJ you could put it on at track 5, put a realistic dummy behind your gear, go and happily have a nice meal knowing that the crowd would be seriously going for it the whole time.

Classics
Classics
Offered by Fulfillment Express

3.0 out of 5 stars Buy Juan Atkins 20 Years instead, 22 April 2015
This review is from: Classics (Audio CD)
I love Juan's work and especially Model 500 and Cybertron but these remixes aren't classics. They've been softened up and don't reflect the raw edgy impact of Clear, Off To Battle, No UFO's etc I've got most of the standout tunes on vinyl. The original Off To Battle is a monster tune.

Hallways
Hallways

5.0 out of 5 stars A game changer and an instant classic from a genius., 4 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Hallways (Audio CD)
Flow, lyrics, unique style, production. It's the LP I've been waiting for since I heard The Carpenter a few years ago. From that instant I knew he was potentially one of the best rappers I had ever heard and Hallways is that potential come of age. As soon as he signed to Stones Throw and released the brilliant Subject Matter EP something was different. Access to the best hip-hop producers and space and freedom has resulted in some of the most clever personal, real, funniest and honest rhymes I have heard.

I'm not one for analysing and picking apart an album then coming up with a load of pretentious rubbish to describe it like so many music Journalists and wannabe music journalists. With a great album there is no need.

I also like to see this as a big finger to all those 'hipsters' who declared the Shabazz Palaces album "The future of hip-hop". That statement says instantly to me that they know nothing about the genre; zilch. It annoyed me as I think Shabazz are doing something unique and special but if the future of hip-hop is albums that take two weeks to get into then count me out.. Sandman, Blu, Jonwayne, Jeremiah Jae, Oh No, Quelle Chris, L'Orange, Denmark Vessey etc. Hip-hop is in good hands.

Broadway [VINYL]
Broadway [VINYL]

5.0 out of 5 stars Just so happy that this music is still being made, 6 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Broadway [VINYL] (Vinyl)
It's pure soul and it's on Stones Throw! I love Stones Throw but only found that this existed (or that they released stuff that wasn't hip-hop) until I bought the Our Vinyl Weighs A Ton. To the guy that thinks it's a bit cobbled together, are you a 70's soul nut? Not putting you down as you are clearly a fan. But I have loads of LP's and 90% of them you probably have to skip 3 or more tracks. Sometimes a whole side. I have spent in the past £80 on an LP for the one amazing track.

The only consistently great albums that come to mind were made by Marvin, Curtis Mayfield, Leroy Hutson, Leon Ware, Barry White (I know, controversial but he was a genius. Listen to Sings For The One I Love), The Natural Four, Stevie Wonder. Others - Is It Because I'm Black Syl Johnson, Do You Have The Time - The Younghearts. Even Lamont Dozier who has made tons of brilliant tracks made only one classic album, Love And Beauty. What I'm getting at is if this was discovered today it would be an instant classic and if it was rare people would spend a lot of money on it. I personally think it's a fantastic album, mainly midtempo 2-step style, a very good Disco track (you should hear Curtis Mayfield's attempts at disco...painful), and a great psychedelic soul track in Back and Forth.

Oracular Spectacular
Oracular Spectacular

2.0 out of 5 stars 5 start reviews, come off it!, 23 Jan. 2009
This review is from: Oracular Spectacular (Audio CD)
One great track does not a great album make. This is one great single, a couple of other good ones and a load of rubbish fillers. And who's idea was it to put Time To Pretend as the first song? After a great start get ready for rapid disappointment.

Mind you at least it's cheap...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 10, 2009 3:55 PM BST

We Are Him
We Are Him

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, 4 Feb. 2008
This review is from: We Are Him (Audio CD)
Had never heard of this and guy in shop recommended it to me (being into weird Americana stuff). It's simply stunning...nothing else I can say really.

Wolves
Wolves
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, 27 April 2006
This review is from: Wolves (Audio CD)
Saw then supporting Low last night in Brighton....Hadn't heard of them before....Thought they were great....bought the album at the stall at the gig....been listening to it all day....it's FABULOUS.

Like a cross between Belle & Sebastian, Arcade Fire, Low, The Decemberists, The Delgados (and I'm sure loads of other great people I can't think of) if you can imagine such a thing.

The Futureheads
The Futureheads
Offered by Telstar Entertainment

1.0 out of 5 stars A laughable mess, 13 Nov. 2004
This review is from: The Futureheads (Audio CD)
I bought this as the second one of a two for £20 deal due to a lack of any choice and couldn't believe how bad this is. It's almost fascinatingly enjoyably bad. I played it to a friend and we just laughed at it. Clearly only released 'cos it sounds a bit like the Libertines it just shows the lazy desperation record companies go to in order to jump on a bandwagon.
Sort of sounds like The Jam if they were all paralytic and couldn't write any tunes and Paul Weller decided to have a laugh and write the worst lyrics he could think up.
It's going back tomorrow...to swap for what who knows? Probably the next completely overated British contenders.