Profile for S. Robinson > Reviews

Eckhart Tolle's Findhorn Retreat: Finding Stillness Amidst the World
Eckhart Tolle's Findhorn Retreat: Finding Stillness Amidst the World
by Eckhart Tolle

4.0 out of 5 stars Resonates, 30 Dec. 2011
I've read The Power of Now and A New Earth and both left me feeling altered in some way - the first was my first contact with Tolle's philosophy - living in the present moment - and I found it hard-going but it has lived with me ever since. A New Earth created a further shift in consciousness for me. Having recently stayed at Findhorn and really appreciated the sacred ambience of the place I was fascinated to see Tolle and Findhorn come together.
On one level I was disappointed - there was little to remind me of Findhorn, and even the photos were supplemented by others from other locations... but hey! Everything he speaks of is about NOT living in the past isn't it?!
I was also mildly disappointed that the DVD was only of Tolle sitting in front of an audience... but I can live with that, because in the end his message is one of perfect simplicity, so why let sophisticated production get in the way? And once again Tolle reaches parts not readily reached with words...

Random Acts of Kindness
Random Acts of Kindness
by Conari Press

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspired me, 16 Jan. 2010
Well, I'd bought this as a little treat for myself. Then I was going to a gathering at a friend's house and was wondering what to take for her. I picked this book up, having not opened it yet, and started browsing to decide whether to give it to her, or keep it. I was enjoying the anecdotes and quotes so I browsed a bit more... Then I read the Andre Gide quote "All you are unable to give possesses you"... and laughed!
I wrapped up the book and took it with me. I didn't give it to her - I performed my own "random act of kindness" and left it anonymously where she would find it later... She hasn't mentioned it yet - if she does I shall deny any knowledge...
The concept is not new to me. A while ago I left another inspiring little book in a public place. I left a little note wishing the finder well and inviting them to pass the book on again. Again I don't know how it was received, but sometimes as I walk past that place I smile to myself...
Try it!!

Philips HF3463 Wake-up Light with Radio Alarm
Philips HF3463 Wake-up Light with Radio Alarm

4.0 out of 5 stars Wake up without the shock, 16 Jan. 2010
This was my Christmas present and I love it. I need to get up by 6.30 (latest) so it's still well and truly dark at this time of year. My old-style alarm was well and truly alarming as it went off very loudly in what often felt like the middle of the night. Hence I used to wake up stressed!
This is the perfect way to wake up if (like me) you are not a morning person. I use it every day whether or not I need to get up and it simulates dawn for me.
I usually notice a little bit of light early on and open one eye and mentally note that it's nearly time to wake up. I'm almost always awake before the 'birds' start twittering and the twittering has always been enough so far, but I do have the old alarm set to 6.30 just in case I do go back to sleep.
So I wake up gradually and much more relaxed than before. The other (huge, for me) advantage is that when I do wake up my mind isn't chuntering full of thoughts and I'm much more clear-minded and ready for the day. A great product!
I stop short of awarding 5 stars though as I'm not sure how available the replacement bulb will be when the time comes and also it's a bit fumbly to turn just the sound alarm off without pressing snooze instead. And the light turns itself off after an hour - I can't decide whether that's good or bad!