Profile for Alexander Smith > Reviews

Content by Alexander Smith

Alexander Smith

Norton Internet Security 2003 (AntiVirus, Firewall, Spam Alert, Privacy & Parental Control)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of Breed Security, 3 May 2004
Basically it's the best all in one security package on the market. A respected name, intuitive interface, daily updates and full feature set secure its success. The only kink in its armour is the igh price point. Effective solutions can be had for much less. You're paying for integration and quality.

Microsoft Plus! for Windows XP Digital Media Edition
Microsoft Plus! for Windows XP Digital Media Edition
Offered by J & S Media

1.0 out of 5 stars A Waste of Money, 3 May 2004
This is frankly a complete waste of money. It's the kind of thing you shouldn't install even if it's free. The Dancers are just a gimick, the so called "Themes" are really just rearranged colour schemes (for real themes use Style XP or WindowBlinds), and the Media Player codecs and enhancements can be downloaded elsewhere anyway.
If you want to customize your desktop, WindowBlinds and Object Desktop from Stardock are much better alternatives.

The Hacker Ethic
The Hacker Ethic
by Linus Torvalds

3.0 out of 5 stars A Bit Philosophical, 3 May 2004
This review is from: The Hacker Ethic (Hardcover)
Certainly an interesting read on the core values the "Hacker" supposedly stands by. It makes frequent references to "The Protestant Work ethic and the spirit of capitalism" and I think if you consider it along those lines then you see what the book's really getting at. It's more an attack on Capitalism and questions why we do certain things. The Monday - Friday 9 - 5 way is put under attack and capitalist motives are questioned.
A decent read, full of philosophy but still well applied to the modern Open Source Community.

Microsoft Office XP Standard for Students and Teachers
Microsoft Office XP Standard for Students and Teachers

5.0 out of 5 stars A Cheap Way To Get Industry Standard Tools, 3 May 2004
If you want the industry standard tools and qualify as a student or teacher, then this is the one to get. It doesn't have Access or Publisher which the previous deals did have, but it's still considerably lower than the full version. Openoffice/Staroffice will do the basic stuff for most people, but when you need the advanced formulaic functions of Excel, there's nothing better.

Windows XP Professional Upgrade
Windows XP Professional Upgrade
Offered by Logic Works

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good OS, But a little pricey., 3 May 2004
I'll keep this short:
If you use 2000 Pro, then think very carefully about if you really need this. In fact, don't do it, you'll not see many bennefits.
If you use 98(SE) and you want to continue using Windows and modern software then go for XP.
XP Pro is, as OS's go, pretty good. It has decent security settings (once you enable them) and can be used as the base for a very stable and fast computer. The security settings in XP Home are apalling so I urge anyone on a network or who takes physical access security seriously to go for Pro instead.
In Short, It's attractive, well put together, but expensive. Don't let the threat of viruses and "Hackers" put you off. Any computer savvy user already knows the importance of Antivirus and Firewall protection. XP is no less secure than any other version of Windows.

Running Linux (Essential Guide to Linux)
Running Linux (Essential Guide to Linux)
by Matt Welsh

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Reference, 3 May 2004
I'll start off by saying that I like this book. It's the book that I often reach for when I need to know the location of a specific file or the correct order for executing certain commands. I recommend it thouroghly.
Now the problems:
I don't particuarly like he way it starts explaining a certain topic but doesn't really cover the possible pitalls one might face. it seems to refer the reader to the distribution vendor just a little too often for me. It does however still go into plenty of detail on the various options available for various parts of the Linux OS. Setting up X, recompiling the kernel, navigating the file system and many more are all done in a well laid out and effective manner.
It also explains things which with modern distributions (Fedora/Red Hat, SuSE, Mandrake etc...) you don't need to do. Using Fdisk for instance. I think this is good as it explains the industry standard tools which get the job done, and which at some point you may well need to fall back on. It also carries on the tradition of O'Reilly books by being accessable for the new user but not treating them like an idiot. It assumes you want to go further and allows you to do so by giving a good grounding as well as introducing advanced topics.
All in all, a very good book which I would say is suited to the person who wants to learn the way things are done and really access the power of Linux. If you just want to write letters in Red Hat, get "Red Hat for Dummies" or "Red Hat in 24 hours". If, however, you want to learn how to properly reconfigure the kernel in Slackware then go for this.

Get Born [EXTRA TRACK]
Get Born [EXTRA TRACK]
Offered by Todays Great Deal

5.0 out of 5 stars An Album I Just Can't Put Down, 3 May 2004
This review is from: Get Born [EXTRA TRACK] (Audio CD)
I have to admitt I was a little dubious about buying this album. I'd heard (and of course loved) "Are You Gonna Be My Girl" and was hankering for a new album so thought I'd give it a whirl.
Well basically, it's brilliant. From beginning to end is a ride filled with quality tunes. Every tune is catchy yet not repetetive and full of good solid rock. Jet also excel at the smoother side with lush piano tones and a voice that seems relativly unprocessed and is all the better for it.
This is one of the few recent albums (White Stripes, RHCP, being the exceptions) that I genuinly can't put down. I never tire of it and heartedly recommend it.
Favourite Tracks:
"Are You Gonna Be My Girl" (Of Course)
"Rollover DJ"
"Look What You've Done"
"Sgt. Major"
If I were in a band, this is the exactly kind of music I would make.

Persuader: (Jack Reacher 7)
Persuader: (Jack Reacher 7)
by Lee Child

5.0 out of 5 stars Reacher's Personal Vendetta, 3 May 2004
This is probably the first Jack Reacher book (certainly the first I've read) that shows his deep anger and pure hatred for a part of his history he'd rather forget. This is also the book which gives us the best insight so far into his former military life.
A compulsive read just like all Child's novels, If you've read any of his other Reacher adventures, then you know you want it.
Put Simply, Jack doesn't disappoint!

The Visitor: (Jack Reacher 4)
The Visitor: (Jack Reacher 4)
by Lee Child

5.0 out of 5 stars Reacher at his best, 3 May 2004
I found this book just browsing at the local library. The synopsis seemed good, so I borrowed it out.
And I'm glad I did!
The story is filled with an outragously addictive plot and special insight into the mind of the hunter and the hunted. I was left feeling a little bemused by the ending as it seemed a twist too far, but I really can't fault it.
Jack Reacher is a gritty hero with a vunerable side that endears him to the reader. His military experience and steadfast moral conscience make for a highly recommended read.
This was the first Lee Child/Jack Reacher novel I read and now I'm hooked.